Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 4:40:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

So England become the third team to book a place in the Semi-Finals where they will meet the winner of Russia v Croatia.

England vs. Russia? Is this about the Novichok thingy?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3421
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:01:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

What's all this then? Something going on with your regional soccer tourney?

No, its the third of four quarter finals of the football World Cup - the world's favourite game played by almost every country on the planet.

Next?

Ah. I heard that it was all about certain usual suspect European teams against other European teams. You know, a regional soccer tourney. Hardly representative of the world, mate.
warspite1

Not sure on your sources but you may wish to have a word

a) Many of the usual European teams are gone - Italy and Holland never made it and Germany are out

b) Please tell your source that Japan, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Egypt, Mexico etc. etc. etc. are not in Europe. Almost every country in the world attempted to qualify for the tournament and every continent (except Antarctica) was represented (albeit Australia got there via Asia ). The second round of games saw representatives from Asia, Central and South America involved (unusually there was no African presence this time) although - very unusually - all South American presence was extinguished at the quarter final stage.

Representative of the world? Oh yes indeed.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 5:20:01 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3422
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:04:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The third Quarter-Final sees:

England 2 Sweden 0. A nervous start from both teams who both decided to take things slooooooooooow. A thumping header from Maguire on 30 minutes put England ahead. Sweden managed to cause a few heart-attacks but Pickford dealt with them comfortably. The second half saw a sharper Swedish team pushing gently for an equalizer but without success. A second goal from Delle Alli put England into panic mode which the Swedes capitalized on in terms of possession and a couple of really nice moves which should have given them a goal if the Football Gods had been smiling upon them. The Pickford saves were decent but they were not the most amazing saves in the history of the universe. Neither was England's performance "perfect in every respect" which was one of the comments from the BBC commentators.

So England become the third team to book a place in the Semi-Finals where they will meet the winner of Russia v Croatia. Sweden go home.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Fear not old boy - England didn't behave like England and won the match without their onion bag even once being penetrated by the ball! Lumme.... although we have the good offices of one Jordan Pickford esq to thank for that....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3423
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:22:30 PM   
Zorch

I hear there will be a follow up tourney for every team that feels they were unfairly eliminated.
It will be a round robin with 31 teams.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3424
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:23:14 PM   
warspite1

And so (adopts best Brucie voice): Let's have a look at the old scoreboard...

Russia or Croatia? It should be Russia based on the 6/7 malarchy but surely Croatia are too good for the home nation.... aren't they?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3425
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:24:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I hear there will be a follow up tourney for every team that feels they were unfairly eliminated.
warspite1

I think you mean 210....

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3426
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:31:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, its the third of four quarter finals of the football World Cup - the world's favourite game played by almost every country on the planet.

Next?

Ah. I heard that it was all about certain usual suspect European teams against other European teams. You know, a regional soccer tourney. Hardly representative of the world, mate.
warspite1

a) Many of the usual European teams are gone - Italy and Holland never made it and Germany are out

b) Please tell your source that Japan, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Egypt, Mexico etc. etc. etc. are not in Europe. Almost every country in the world attempted to qualify for the tournament and every continent (except Antarctica) was represented (albeit Australia got there via Asia ). The second round of games saw representatives from Asia, Central and South America involved (unusually there was no African presence this time) although - very unusually - all South American presence was extinguished at the quarter final stage.

Pfft...ancient history. I wasn't observing who attempted to qualify for the tournament or who was eliminated before this point. I'm just opining on the current status of the tourney. I'm also not saying that *all* of the usual European suspects are out.

I bet that if you ask representatives of every continent (save Europe) if the World Cup finals are representative of the world, a majority would say 'no'.

But...I don't want to rain on your English parade. Congratulations on your victory in the quarter finals and advancement into the semifinals.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3427
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:32:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I still won't care.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3428
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:44:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Next?

warspite1

I bet that if you ask representatives of every continent (save Europe) if the World Cup finals are representative of the world, a majority would say 'no'.

warspite1

Every continent? How many World Cups have there been? A European country has won 11 - a South American country has won 9. I haven't done the maths on the % of tournament participants to continental nos. but for a continent with what? 12 countries? South America has a much greater % of participants than Europe.

As the tournament expands so FIFA try and make the game increasingly more global with African, Asian, Central American and even Oceania involvement growing.

The development of football in Asia will take time but African football is firmly established and players from the continent are employed by top clubs in europe and elsewhere now. I think given their status they would all agree that they have sufficient opportunity vis-a-vis numbers allowed per tournament.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 5:49:05 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3429
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 5:46:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Next?

warspite1

But...I don't want to rain on your English parade. Congratulations on your victory in the quarter finals and advancement into the semifinals.
warspite1

Thank-you. Making the semi-final makes a nice change from the more usual end of the story....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3430
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 6:14:14 PM   
rico21

The Football World Cup, the only place where small nations can scare and beat the big ones.
I understand that some people do not like it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3431
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 6:56:25 PM   
terje439

The world cup - the few weeks every 4 years I "am" english!

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 3432
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 7:08:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Next?

warspite1

warspite1

Every continent? How many World Cups have there been? A European country has won 11 - a South American country has won 9. I haven't done the maths on the % of tournament participants to continental nos. but for a continent with what? 12 countries? South America has a much greater % of participants than Europe.

As the tournament expands so FIFA try and make the game increasingly more global with African, Asian, Central American and even Oceania involvement growing.

The development of football in Asia will take time but African football is firmly established and players from the continent are employed by top clubs in europe and elsewhere now. I think given their status they would all agree that they have sufficient opportunity vis-a-vis numbers allowed per tournament.

Oh, Warspite1 Warspite1 Warspite1...

My comment "I bet that if you ask representatives of every continent (save Europe) if the World Cup finals are representative of the world, a majority would say 'no'." was intended in jest / juxtaposition. It's not a commentary about historical cups division or per capita distribution of previous world cups.

It was referring to this and only this World Cup finals. Clearly, a World Cup finals with only European nations participating in it cannot be representative of the world. From the geographical standpoint.

Plus, when you ask an irked Brazilian about whether the finals are representative of the world, he will likely say 'no'. Of course not. Because of the home town fanboism. I suspect that there are similar fanbois worldwide that will also see this myopic logic.

Now would you please allow me to troll you in peace and quiet?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/7/2018 7:11:34 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3433
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 7:54:55 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Next?

warspite1

warspite1

My comment "I bet that if you ask representatives of every continent (save Europe) if the World Cup finals are representative of the world, a majority would say 'no'." was intended in jest / juxtaposition. It's not a commentary about historical cups division or per capita distribution of previous world cups.

It was referring to this and only this World Cup finals. Clearly, a World Cup finals with only European nations participating in it cannot be representative of the world. From the geographical standpoint.

Plus, when you ask an irked Brazilian about whether the finals are representative of the world, he will likely say 'no'. Of course not. Because of the home town fanboism. I suspect that there are similar fanbois worldwide that will also see this myopic logic.

I'm shocked, shocked, to hear of trolling on this august forum.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3434
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 8:04:49 PM   
shunwick

Every country in the world took part in Qualifying Tournaments for a place in the World Cup Finals over the last two years...

The teams qualifying for these World Cup Finals...

Uruguay
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Spain
Portugal
Iran
Morocco
France
Denmark
Peru
Australia
Croatia
Argentina
Nigeria
Iceland
Brazil
Switzerland
Serbia
Costa Rica
Sweden
Mexico
South Korea
Germany
Belgium
England
Tunisia
Panama
Colombia
Japan
Senegal
Poland

All of which are European nations, of course.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3435
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 8:32:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I'm shocked, shocked, to hear of trolling on this august forum.

Well, you shouldn't be so surprised, Zilch. After all, it's only July!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3436
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 8:33:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Every country in the world took part in Qualifying Tournaments for a place in the World Cup Finals over the last two years...

Uruguay
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Spain
Portugal
Iran
Morocco
France
Denmark
Peru
Australia
Croatia
Argentina
Nigeria
Iceland
Brazil
Switzerland
Serbia
Costa Rica
Sweden
Mexico
South Korea
Germany
Belgium
England
Tunisia
Panama
Colombia
Japan
Senegal
Poland

Best wishes,
Steve

Missing my point, I'm afraid, Steve. But thanks for the post.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3437
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 8:46:58 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Uruguay
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Spain
Portugal
Iran
Morocco
France
Denmark
Peru
Australia
Croatia
Argentina
Nigeria
Iceland
Brazil
Switzerland
Serbia
Costa Rica
Sweden
Mexico
South Korea
Germany
Belgium
England
Tunisia
Panama
Colombia
Japan
Senegal
Poland

Best wishes,
Steve

Missing my point, I'm afraid, Steve. But thanks for the post.

You may not be the only troll on the forum.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3438
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 8:54:51 PM   
shunwick

The last of Quarter-Finals sees:

Russia 2 Croatia 2 AET 3-4 on penalties. Ok, it wasn't pretty but it had all the drama we could have hoped for. The Croatians had to work for it and the game was probably about 50-50. So Croatia go thorugh to the Semi-Finals where they meet England amd Russia go home?

So, the Semi-Finals look like this:-

On Tuesday: France v Belgium
On Wednesday: England v Croatia

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/7/2018 8:58:47 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3439
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 8:59:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Next?

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Er whateves as the cool kidz say - I've long since lost any idea of what this is about. So please feel free to continue in peace and quiet - England are in the semi-final so nothing can upset my equilibrium today

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3440
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 9:00:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Awww man...trolled in turn!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3441
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 9:02:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Er whateves as the cool kidz say - I've long since lost my mind and am easily confused. So please stop attempting to use humor-I'm British! England are in the semi-final so nothing can upset my equilibrium today

Again, congrats.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3442
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 9:12:02 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Awww man...trolled in turn!

k

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3443
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 9:14:49 PM   
warspite1

The symmetry was not maintained.....

Who can call these? 1 time winner France vs Belgium who've never reached the final (this is their second semi-final) and 1 time winner England vs Croatia who've never reached the final (this is also their second semi-final). France has the best World Cup record of the remaining countries, having won it once, been runner-up once and been losing semi-finalists on three other occasions. Besides their winning year, this is only the second time England have reached the semi-final, losing on the other occasion to eventual winners Germany.

What does all that history mean for the forthcoming matches? Absolutely nothing (but I just love history) but my money is on Belgium vs Croatia for the final and so a new winner of the World Cup will be crowned next Sunday.

I think Croatia have been soooo bad in the last two matches but have still scraped through and, football being football - and England being England - they will finally start playing to their full potential just when they face England....

As for Belgium, they just needed belief and a bit of confidence. Beating Brazil will have given them that and will be just too strong for France.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/7/2018 9:22:25 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3444
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 9:23:28 PM   
Chickenboy

I'll go out on a limb and call for France to face off with Belgium in the finals.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3445
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/7/2018 9:29:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I'll go out on a limb and call for France to face off with Belgium in the finals.

warspite1

Good call.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3446
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/8/2018 4:26:10 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Next?

warspite1

Pfft...ancient history. I wasn't observing who attempted to qualify for the tournament or who was eliminated before this point. I'm just opining on the current status of the tourney. I'm also not saying that *all* of the usual European suspects are out.

I don't think that Soccer (Football) is worse than other sports are. In fact I can come up with two very biased world championships that don't even allow teams from outside of one country access to it. I am talking about Baseball and Football (NFL).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3447
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/8/2018 5:04:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz
I don't think that Soccer (Football) is worse than other sports are. In fact I can come up with two very biased world championships that don't even allow teams from outside of one country access to it. I am talking about Baseball and Football (NFL).

I think that a World Series of baseball would be really cool. The Venezuelans, Colombians, Mexicans, Dominicans, Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese, Cubans and a smattering of other countries could put together considerably talented teams. Kind of like the Little League World Series, which is very well received and a truly international sport.

Obviously my Danish friend is unfamiliar with the former Montreal Expos or former and current Toronto Blue Jays in MLB. They've (particularly the Blue Jays) given a good accounting of themselves over the years. Neither Toronto nor Montreal is in the same country that the remaining MLB teams are in. Canada is an independent nation-has been for years.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3448
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/8/2018 9:33:11 PM   
ernieschwitz

I see. So I was a little off point, by one sport, but not by the other, which you didn't comment on. The main point however was that there are sports out there that are very much not a world-thing, but who claim to be world champions. Oh, and baseball is pretty popular in Japan.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3449
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/8/2018 9:53:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Lords of The Diabolical Ziggurats strike again.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3450
Page:   <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI