Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/10/2019 9:31:39 PM   
shunwick

Braintree got lucky! We only lost 0-4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 3991
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/11/2019 5:41:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Well they are saving themselves for the cup remember.

Meanwhile.... Liverpool off to a flyer, Manchester City destroyed West Ham and then........ Spurs sort of started where they left off last season really. No one, but no one in a white shirt seemed to understand what an incisive through ball, a ball in behind the defence, or even a cross into the box is

I am a fan of Harry Winks but he has morphed into Ray Wilkins. Harry "the crab" Winks needs to understand that passing sideways or backwards is not actually compulsory.

The ball kept being sprayed out to little KWP on the right but once there..... then what? There was no runner for him to pass behind the defender.... there was just nothing. Spurs have been playing this excuse for football for too long now. Surely Poch must be watching - so why is nothing being done?

I for one am not looking forward to next Saturday - I fear another horror show is on the cards... Good job I support a decent football club - Come on you Pilgrims!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3992
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/13/2019 9:31:00 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Saving themselves for the FA Cup is something I can understand. There is also a theory going round Braintree that the team is deliberately playing like a shoal of frozen haddock so that teams underestimate them when they launch their league campaign proper.

We travel to St Albans tonight. They are rubbish. So let's hope we can limit the number of goals they score to single digits while this new policy is in place.

Best wishes,
Steve.

PS. If you don't want him, can we have Harry Winks on loan for the rest of the season?

PPS. It looks like the policy of imitating a shoal of frozen haddock is over.. St Albans 0 Braintree 3. Mind you St Albans, as mentioned above, are rubbish.

PPPS. We're going to win the league.... We're going to win the league....

PPPPS. Er.. we don't actually want to win the league. We only want mid table obscurity. We need stability at the moment, not promotion.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 8/13/2019 9:33:08 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3993
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/14/2019 2:17:56 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

PS. If you don't want him, can we have Harry Winks on loan for the rest of the season?

warspite1

We tried to transfer Harry to Braintree on deadline day - but sadly he didn't make the 5pm cut-off as walking sideways meant he was just too slow....

To be honest, I don't want to pick on Winksy. I think he can be a really good player. Its just frustration that he's not using his talent properly. Poch likened him to Iniesta. Now that is a big call and no doubt a bit of a motivator, but he's not going to say that sort of thing about someone without some basis in fact. Poch maybe just needs to remind Winksy of why he said that..... Iniesta was not lauded as a footballer because he spent his time kicking a ball sideways or passing back to a defender. Come on Harry you know you are better than that COYS!!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3994
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/14/2019 2:41:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

warspite1

We tried to transfer Harry to Braintree on deadline day - but sadly he didn't make the 5pm cut-off as walking sideways meant he was just too slow....

To be honest, I don't want to pick on Winksy. I think he can be a really good player. Its just frustration that he's not using his talent properly. Poch likened him to Iniesta. Now that is a big call and no doubt a bit of a motivator, but he's not going to say that sort of thing about someone without some basis in fact. Poch maybe just needs to remind Winksy of why he said that..... Iniesta was not lauded as a footballer because he spent his time kicking a ball sideways or passing back to a defender. Come on Harry you know you are better than that COYS!!

Yes, well, the trouble is that it is not always the passers fault that he is just passing sideways or back. The forward guys must be on the move as well. And walking pace just wont do it.

I have no idea if that is the case for you. It just reminded me when we got our first real playmaker. People got annoyed with him because he couldn't make any proper passes. I noticed, however, that the team stood and waited for him to do something. Once the other players got the massage (took one season), we won almost every match. He passed the ball to where he wanted the players to be, if they ran close to full speed, with precision. Amazing to see, and our players had to get used to it. The second season we won the title for the first time in ages.

Anyway. It could just be that it takes a while for the players to learn each others full potential.

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/14/2019 2:42:10 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3995
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/15/2019 1:20:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

warspite1

......Once the other players got the massage (took one season), we won almost every match. He passed the ball to where he wanted the players to be, if they ran close to full speed, with precision. Amazing to see, and our players had to get used to it. The second season we won the title for the first time in ages.

warspite1

Does this guy want to play for Spurs?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3996
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/15/2019 5:13:35 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

warspite1

......Once the other players got the massage (took one season), we won almost every match. He passed the ball to where he wanted the players to be, if they ran close to full speed, with precision. Amazing to see, and our players had to get used to it. The second season we won the title for the first time in ages.

warspite1

Never mind Spurs. They are already a lost cause. The real question is:- Does this guy want to play for Braintree? We can guarantee him an FA Cup winners medal after all.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 8/15/2019 8:03:35 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3997
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/16/2019 7:01:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Never mind Spurs. They are already a lost cause. The real question is:- Does this guy want to play for Braintree? We can guarantee him an FA Cup winners medal after all.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Perhaps enquiries should be made in January before Winksy gets cup tied?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3998
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/17/2019 7:23:19 PM   
Crossroads

Last season, it was brought to my attention that Pep Guardiola's last name should actually be spelled "Cardiola". I have to admit I did see some merit in this point of view.

Today, it was brought to my attention that Pep Guardiola's last name should actually be spelled "Vardiola", instead. I do see some merit on this point of view as well.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3999
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/17/2019 7:40:14 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Last season, it was brought to my attention that Pep Guardiola's last name should actually be spelled "Cardiola". I have to admit I did see some merit in this point of view.

Today, it was brought to my attention that Pep Guardiola's last name should actually be spelled "Vardiola", instead. I do see some merit on this point of view as well.

Shouldn't that depond upon how much has been ?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4000
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 1:16:13 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

warspite1

Guardiola is getting more and more unlikable by the day. The man is really starting to get carried away with himself. So at the end of last season iirc it was Sterling, last week iirc it as de Bruyne and this week its Aguero. What was it? Well its the idea that after substituting a player/at the end of the match, a manager should have a shouting match with the player, telling him, in public and in full view of the cameras, what he did wrong. Yeah Pep we get it, you're a great manager (despite having no money to spend) and you are a perfectionist that is never satisfied even after you've won the title / routed West Ham 5-0 and destroyed (in all but scoreline) a supposed top 4 rival.

Just stop showing off, have a thought for what a great manager is (praise in public/castigate in private) and get your head out of your behind.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/18/2019 1:17:34 AM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4001
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 1:51:05 AM   
RangerJoe

Sportsmanship appears to be lacking . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4002
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 1:57:46 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

warspite1

I don't think its sportsmanship - they're his own players - its a lack of managerial decency.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4003
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 6:04:11 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

warspite1

I don't think its sportsmanship - they're his own players - its a lack of managerial decency.

There's not much sportsmanship in him either. The way he sets his team to play, media seems to be enchanted on their posession play.

Not much is said how the minute they lose the ball, he's drilled his team to immediately foul the opposition player with the ball, to give everyone time to get under the ball.

No matter the opposition top 6, bottom 6, midtable: lose the ball, immediately stop the counter by cynically tugging the shirt mostly, with referees allowing that as there's hardly ever a yellow, or maybe after two dozen fouls there's one.

I didn't watch the game yesterday, but sure enough, they seemed to have totally (!) controlled the game with 30 shots to 3, but sure enough, won the fouls with 14 to 4.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4004
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 11:09:45 AM   
loki100

aye this rotational fouling that Man City do is getting beyond a joke (that and their finances). Biggest shock yesterday was Sterling actually getting booked for being just a bit too blatent about it - I presume he's in for extra 'training' this week about not getting caught out.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 8/18/2019 11:10:13 AM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 4005
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 12:52:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

aye this rotational fouling that Man City do is getting beyond a joke (that and their finances). Biggest shock yesterday was Sterling actually getting booked for being just a bit too blatent about it - I presume he's in for extra 'training' this week about not getting caught out.
warspite1

I thought I'd read that foul ratio the wrong way around. Rubbish the amount of fouls the ref allows them to get away with before being bothered to book anyone.

Mind you, enough of having a go at Guardiola, Spurs were simply awful. Despite being effectively under siege the whole game we had zero bookings - that says everything about our lack of intensity, desire and commitment. Poch what exactly was the game plan? Do you see the way Man City play football?......

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4006
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 1:16:04 PM   
warspite1

What football is all about....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49372359

I hope this has a happy ending for the two-time FA Cup winners, but time is getting short now....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4007
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:31:06 PM   
Orm

quote:

I sure he would have loved to do so. But he has been retired for a long time now. I seriously doubt that we could afford a player of that calibre ever again.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4008
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:31:44 PM   
Orm

How good is the current version of Celtic F.C?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4009
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:35:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I sure he would have loved to do so. But he has been retired for a long time now. I seriously doubt that we could afford a player of that calibre ever again.
warspite1

The fact he is retired is not necessarily an issue. If he can run (or even jog) with the ball at his feet and pass in a forwards direction, we'll take him.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4010
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:39:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Well they conceded 4 goals at home against FC Cluj to get themselves knocked out of the Champions League, and play in a league where only Celtic win any domestic trophies. The best of the teams they play against week in week out, routinely fail to beat low level minnow opposition in the preliminary rounds of the Europa League. They've just lost their best young player. How good are Celtic? I'm going with fantastic on a Scottish basis and really not very good on a European level and AIK should have no problem whatsoever.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4011
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:45:52 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well they conceded 4 goals at home against FC Cluj to get themselves knocked out of the Champions League, and play in a league where only Celtic win any domestic trophies. The best of the teams they play against week in week out, routinely fail to beat low level minnow opposition in the preliminary rounds of the Europa League. They've just lost their best young player. How good are Celtic? I'm going with fantastic on a Scottish basis and really not very good on a European level and AIK should have no problem whatsoever.

Yes, well, the thing is that we allow the opposition to score way to easy. And it is like this every season we play in Europe. Our team isn't good enough for this many matches. We just lost a league match against a team that is really struggling. We rested a few key players, and that made their team look brilliant (and the key players that started looked uninspired and tired. And at half time they were up 2-0. Put back a couple of starting players and things improved. But not enough and it ended with a 2-1 loss.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4012
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:47:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, well, the thing is that we allow the opposition to score way to easy. And it is like this every season we play in Europe. Our team isn't good enough for this many matches. We just lost a league match against a team that is really struggling. We rested a few key players, and that made their team look brilliant (and the key players that started looked uninspired and tired. And at half time they were up 2-0. Put back a couple of starting players and things improved. But not enough and it ended with a 2-1 loss.
warspite1

Yes, but its only Celtic.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4013
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:48:12 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The fact he is retired is not necessarily an issue. If he can run (or even jog) with the ball at his feet and pass in a forwards direction, we'll take him.

I suspect that he can still pass. But jogging might be another issue. And probably to slow in situation awareness as well. But hes been a coach for a long, long, long time now. And maybe even retired from coaching.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4014
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:50:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I suspect that he can still pass. But jogging might be another issue. And probably to slow in situation awareness as well. But hes been a coach for a long, long, long time now. And maybe even retired from coaching.
warspite1

Listen, if he's got a pulse he's going to be an improvement on what we put out against City. What's his number Spurs need to get this deal done?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4015
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 7:53:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Listen, if he's got a pulse he's going to be an improvement on what we put out against City. What's his number Spurs need to get this deal done?

Thank you for the laugh.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4016
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/18/2019 9:24:24 PM   
loki100

quote:

not at all, they've just managed to beat Dumfermline 2-1 after extra time so you should be safe.

when they come to play you can look forward to being serenaded with their version of Irish history ... tis a joy to hear

now, of course, I am offended at Warspite's other comments and would point out that Cove Rangers are doing exceptionally well in the Scottish third division

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4017
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/19/2019 8:26:11 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I thought I'd read that foul ratio the wrong way around. Rubbish the amount of fouls the ref allows them to get away with before being bothered to book anyone.

They continue to do that (rotational fouling) of course because they are allowed to. In a way, why not? I wish the FA would put a stop to this now, it's gone indeed beyond a joke now. I am not holding my breath though. It is the FA, after all.

Anyhow, great to have the season well under a way again! Missed ya, football.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4018
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/19/2019 2:34:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

now, of course, I am offended at Warspite's other comments and would point out that Cove Rangers are doing exceptionally well in the Scottish third division
warspite1

My sincerest apologies for any offence I may have caused. I will of course make an immediate retraction and correction.

The best of the teams Celtic play against week in week out, are occasionally beaten (and even then, only just) by only the very best that the European leagues have to offer in the Champions League and Europa League. However, more often than not the Scottish teams win through, and the number of Champions League and Europa League trophies won by Scottish clubs has to be seen to be believed.

How good are Celtic? Well they play in the best, the strongest and most competitive league in world football so I'm going with AIK shouldn't even waste their time turning up.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/19/2019 2:35:16 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4019
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/19/2019 2:55:29 PM   
RangerJoe

How to make a losing team a winner. Just feet the other team some candies made with Ex-lax the right amount of time before the game so they will be busy when the game starts.

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4020
Page:   <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI