Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/23/2016 8:00:15 AM   
warspite1

Well Spurs are out of the Champions League - and thoroughly deserved it was too - they absolutely stunk the place out in 4 matches and were little better in the 5th.

Appalling. Pochettino has a real job on his hands now to prove he is the coach people are saying he is. Sissoko, Eriksen, Son, Dier..... just not good enough.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2341
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 11/23/2016 7:34:45 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well Spurs are out of the Champions League - and thoroughly deserved it was too - they absolutely stunk the place out in 4 matches and were little better in the 5th.

Appalling. Pochettino has a real job on his hands now to prove he is the coach people are saying he is. Sissoko, Eriksen, Son, Dier..... just not good enough.

It looks like London will continue to have representation in Champions League during the winter. But I am not sure if you think this is a positive thing, or not.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2342
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/10/2016 7:03:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Early days of course, and in fairness Guardiola is still lumbered with a lot of dross from the previous regime, but the last couple of weeks have been er...... a little challenging. And he needs to produce after his relative failure at Bayern Munich....

Barcelona 4 - 0 Manchester City
warspite1

4 wins in 15.

Funny isn't it? If this was David Moyes or someone similar on this sort of run, the knives would have long been out, sharpened and begun making their first incisions...

But because its 'Pep' its all okay, no problem.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2343
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/22/2016 7:40:22 PM   
warspite1

Looks like losing the FA Cup Final one year is bad for your managerial health the following one......

Crystal Palace sack Pardew Thought they would give him Christmas....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2344
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/22/2016 7:56:15 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

and Spurs won't trouble the top 8

Want to make a bet out of it?

The winner get to buy a cup of tea to the loser?
warspite1

I think we will finish 8th or worse. Cup of tea to the winner.

No, no. Cup of tea to the loser. The winner get the honour of buying.

COYS!!!

Almost half time and so far I have a chance of winning this bet.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2345
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2016 2:54:22 PM   
Crimguy

I'm fairly certain his dancing skills accelerated his exit somewhat.

quote:

Looks like losing the FA Cup Final one year is bad for your managerial health the following one......

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2346
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/23/2016 4:09:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I'm fairly certain his dancing skills accelerated his exit somewhat.

quote:

warspite1

Had Palace won the cup he would have got away with that - probably. But they didn't and he will, quite rightly, never be allowed to forget it....

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 2347
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/28/2016 8:49:52 PM   
Orm

A tough away game won. And 4 goals scored. I fear I may be getting to confident that I will win the bet.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2348
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/28/2016 10:32:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

A tough away game won. And 4 goals scored. I fear I may be getting to confident that I will win the bet.
warspite1

Getting confident/Spurs, confident/spurs.... [employs best Captain Mainwaring impression] Stupid Boy!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2349
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 12/31/2016 11:59:33 AM   
gazdadude

hoping my team Cardiff start picking up points just above the championship relegation zone :(

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2350
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/1/2017 2:46:43 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, it's obviously too early but some summaries.

I have to say I did not watch a single football match since the Euros I try to follow events via newspapers articles though.

Premier League aka England. Indeed the most competitive league (which does not mean the best). My money is on Chelsea at the moment. And the big surprise: Mourinho is sort of deploying attractive football (but parked the bus at Anfield). I am of course sure this is accidental and the old Mourinho will strike back, possibly pretty soon: Man U is on the rise ergo he saved his skin, therefore he can resume the mourinhesque ways. Guardiola is certainly struggling too.

Bundesliga aka Germany. Bayern rules, as always. One-horse race?

La Liga aka Spain: as always a two-horse race ie Barça or Real Madrid.

Serie A aka Italy: Juve on top

Ligue 1 aka France: Nice on top, but Monaco (2nd) scored 56 goals vs Nice's 34 = + 22 difference. Lots of goals.

Primeira Liga aka Portugal: Benfica on top.

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to gazdadude)
Post #: 2351
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/1/2017 2:52:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And a curiosity or aberration. The Scottish Premiership is indeed a dictatorship, a mega one-horse race.

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 2352
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/4/2017 7:54:19 PM   
Orm

COYS!!!

Post #: 2353
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/5/2017 3:58:19 AM   
warspite1

quote:

COYS!!!
warspite1

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2354
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/14/2017 5:31:25 PM   
Orm

Nice effort by Kane today.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2355
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/14/2017 6:19:03 PM   
warspite1

Indeed. A shame Arsenal and Chelsea then went and won though

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2356
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/15/2017 6:03:32 PM   
warspite1

And Guardiola continues to have a mare!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2357
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/16/2017 2:04:04 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

And a curiosity or aberration. The Scottish Premiership is indeed a dictatorship, a mega one-horse race.

its a product of population and economics. At its simplest 1.5m people live in/around Glasgow out of the 5m in Scotland. So Rangers and Celtic can easily get home gates of 50-60,000. Even if you ignore TV money etc that is a dominating position just off match day revenues. There are other premier league teams in/around Glasgow but there support is limited to relatively small towns such as Kilmarnock or to people who just can't stand the idiocy that surrounds Celtic/Rangers. The wonderful Partick Thistle is the main recipient of this small group and tries to subsist on gates of around 10k.

By contrast around 200,000 people live in Aberdeen, Edinburgh (if you include the surrounds) has about 400,000 split between Hearts and Hibs (sadly languishing in the championship).

Up to about 2010, Rangers and Celtic had a pretty much guarenteed entry to the Champs League (ok neither set it alight but merely being there means a lot of money). When Rangers went bust and UEFA squeezed out the smaller leagues only Celtic have taken part since then. So that is again a huge cash flow just to one team. Finally Rangers are still massively in debt, to the extent that they often flirt with being shut again. So these days even they can't compete as a lot of their income goes out of the club (add on some spectacular mismanagement and appalling owners). At the same time, Celtic can convert as much of their income as they want into players etc

Is all this good for Scottish football ... nope.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 1/16/2017 2:06:14 PM >

Post #: 2358
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/16/2017 3:03:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

its a product of population and economics. At its simplest 1.5m people live in/around Glasgow out of the 5m in Scotland. So Rangers and Celtic can easily get home gates of 50-60,000. Even if you ignore TV money etc that is a dominating position just off match day revenues. There are other premier league teams in/around Glasgow but there support is limited to relatively small towns such as Kilmarnock or to people who just can't stand the idiocy that surrounds Celtic/Rangers. The wonderful Partick Thistle is the main recipient of this small group and tries to subsist on gates of around 10k.

By contrast around 200,000 people live in Aberdeen, Edinburgh (if you include the surrounds) has about 400,000 split between Hearts and Hibs (sadly languishing in the championship).

Up to about 2010, Rangers and Celtic had a pretty much guarenteed entry to the Champs League (ok neither set it alight but merely being there means a lot of money). When Rangers went bust and UEFA squeezed out the smaller leagues only Celtic have taken part since then. So that is again a huge cash flow just to one team. Finally Rangers are still massively in debt, to the extent that they often flirt with being shut again. So these days even they can't compete as a lot of their income goes out of the club (add on some spectacular mismanagement and appalling owners). At the same time, Celtic can convert as much of their income as they want into players etc

Is all this good for Scottish football ... nope.

That does sound both bad and boring.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2359
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/16/2017 3:04:10 PM   
Orm

quote:

And Guardiola continues to have a mare!

And Zlatan seem to have a ball.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2360
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/28/2017 6:54:40 PM   
Orm

What the heck?!

That was way to close for comfort. And it must be hard on the nerves for the fans.

Must have felt good to avoid the biggest disaster in the cup history. Right?

Tottenham close to be eliminated in the cup by a team from the umpteenth division? And a own goal and a few seconds from a replay. So how could that happen?

After that I need something to drink.

< Message edited by Orm -- 1/28/2017 6:57:13 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2361
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 1/28/2017 7:00:38 PM   
warspite1

We played a few fringe players - and they don't appear to have stepped up to the plate sadly.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2362
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/4/2017 5:58:44 PM   
Orm

Chelsea crushed Arsenal. I suppose it makes some people happy.

However, I am slightly annoyed, since I think that Alonso should have had a red card for that elbow. And then it might have been a different story. Saddening that referees still miss so many elbows and that foul play pays. I think they should have installed video cameras to review goals and special events a long time ago. Hopefully they will do so soon.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2363
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2017 3:24:08 PM   
Orm

About two thirds of the season played and Tottenham is at second place. About as expected.

So have you taken your cruisers to any matches this year? (read something on another forum that made me ponder)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2364
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2017 3:27:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

About two thirds of the season played and Tottenham is at second place. About as expected.

So have you taken your cruisers to any matches this year? (read something on another forum that made me ponder)
warspite1

No not yet. My little one is not a footie fan I'm afraid . My elder cruiser is very much into it now (she supports Tottenham and also follows Barcelona ) and I hope to go to one of the Europa games at Wembley - but her school work and after school clubs come first and so its not ideal to arrange.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2365
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2017 3:58:40 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

No not yet. My little one is not a footie fan I'm afraid . My elder cruiser is very much into it now (she supports Tottenham and also follows Barcelona ) and I hope to go to one of the Europa games at Wembley - but her school work and after school clubs come first and so its not ideal to arrange.

I can understand that it is hard to arrange. But, please, tell us when, or if, it happens.

I've have some fond memories of going to matches with young relatives and as a young lad with my father.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2366
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2017 4:12:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I can understand that it is hard to arrange. But, please, tell us when, or if, it happens.

I've have some fond memories of going to matches with young relatives and as a young lad with my father.
warspite1

I suspect with the reduced capacity, there is no chance of getting to White Hart Lane between now and the end of the season, but at least she has been there and sat in the stands where her grandad and great grandad went in the 1930's and where her dad went from the 1980's onwards - which from a nostalgia point of view is nice.

At least playing at Wembley should make getting a ticket easier next year on a weekend.

Can't wait to see the new stadium and its gradually coming together

White Hart Lane is one just to the left of the picture.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/5/2017 4:13:04 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2367
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2017 4:16:57 PM   
Orm

quote:

I suspect with the reduced capacity, there is no chance of getting to White Hart Lane between now and the end of the season, but at least she has been there and sat in the stands where her grandad and great grandad went in the 1930's and where her dad went from the 1980's onwards - which from a nostalgia point of view is nice.

At least playing at Wembley should make getting a ticket easier next year on a weekend.

Are you trying to make me cry?

Thank you for sharing.

Edit: Our old stadium is gone since a few years. And while I like the new stadium well enough it is the old one that my dad and granddad went to. And I went as well for many years from an toddler to a grumpy oldster.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/5/2017 4:19:42 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2368
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/5/2017 4:25:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Are you trying to make me cry?

Thank you for sharing.

Edit: Our old stadium is gone since a few years. And while I like the new stadium well enough it is the old one that my dad and granddad went to. And I went as well for many years from an toddler to a grumpy oldster.
warspite1

I know what you mean. I was dead against clubs moving to new grounds and losing all that tradition - and of course my club in particular (although at least we are not going far!). But now, its clear that with a 36,000 capacity, if Spurs don't move on we are never going to go anywhere but backwards....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2369
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 2/18/2017 1:37:30 PM   
warspite1

The magic of the FA Cup lives on. Lincoln City beat Premiership Burnley to reach the quarter finals of the FA Cup!!!

Mind you, they will have to go some to beat Tottenham's record.

1901 as a Southern League side - we only went and won the thing

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2370
Page:   <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI