Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 8:34:17 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Who/what is IFAB?

International Football Association Board is the guys who decides the rules for football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board
warspite1

If football were struggling, attendances falling, people moving to other sports, revenues from sponsors and TV falling, reflecting a reduction in appeal, I could understand why changes would perhaps need to be considered.

But that is not happening - it is the world game - and its popularity continues to grow. Leave it alone you morons.

I have issues understanding some of the rules they want to implement...
1. I guess this is to increase the action
2. This one I do not get as it encourages defensive play
3. Same as #1 I suppose
4. For fair play I guess, but awarding a goal is alot...
5. To prevent acting by players to stop an attack
6. Sounds harsh
7. No idea why they would want to do this
8. Only reason I can think about is upcoming tournament in very hot areas.

Sounds rubbish to me.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2671
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 8:42:41 PM   
VPaulus

Yeah, it's just plain rubbish and I bet most football fans won't like these new rules.
I hope the good sense will prevail.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2672
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 8:55:32 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

You are to nice and think of player health.

But I suspect that the ones in favour of this rule change doesn't care about player health at all. They just think about money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXMhwF4EtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0

I am pretty sure they want to stop the game clock so they can put in commercial breaks.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2673
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/17/2017 9:39:37 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

But I suspect that the ones in favour of this rule change doesn't care about player health at all. They just think about money.

I am pretty sure they want to stop the game clock so they can put in commercial breaks.

With #8 I ment in regard to 60 min matches

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2674
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2017 5:41:57 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

With #8 I ment in regard to 60 min matches

So did I.

If they stop the time when the ball is out of bounds then there is no hurry to start play and time again. They can make the break as long as the company broadcasting the match wants the break to be. Football following the path of American Football. Long breaks followed by short intense spurts of play. Need a timeout? Kick the ball out of bounds and talk during the commercial break.

The 60 minutes refer to actual play time. There is nothing stating for how long the clock will be stopped so the actual match can take longer. More money for all involved.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/18/2017 5:42:51 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2675
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/18/2017 6:14:03 AM   
terje439

Ah, yeah see your point. That would ruin the game, more so than in the NFL. Football can as anyone that watches the game, be decided by a strong period by one team (miracle in Istanbul anyone), and prolonged breaks could be enough for the other team to recover.

All hail Coca Cola and McD I suppose

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2676
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 4:40:41 AM   
warspite1

What is going on with English football??? Hot on the heels of our Under 20's winning the World Cup, the Under 21's have just comfortably won their group..... I need a lie down...

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2677
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 12:59:19 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

If football were struggling, attendances falling, people moving to other sports, revenues from sponsors and TV falling, reflecting a reduction in appeal, I could understand why changes would perhaps need to be considered.

But that is not happening - it is the world game - and its popularity continues to grow. Leave it alone you morons.

Hear, hear.

Do soccer leagues have salary caps, like American sports do?

The MLS has salary caps and a complex drafting mechanic to govern transfers.

Of course, the MLS does not yet have promotion and relegation despite regular calls for such. In the US, football is a rapidly growing sport but it is still early days for American fans of the game.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2678
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 1:37:03 PM   
shunwick

quote:

IFAB has suggested some drastic changes to the sport;

1. A freekick can be sent to yourself.
2. The ball no longer has to leave own 16 after a 5m or free kick within own 16.
3. Freekicks can be taken on a rolling ball
4. If a defending player (other than the keeper) uses his hands to stop the ball on the goal line, a goal is to be rewarded to the attacking team.
5. The ref can only stop the match if the ball is out of play
6. If a keeper picks up a pass from his own players, a penalty will be given to the other team.
7. After a penalty miss (save or miss) a 5m is to be given
8. Match time reduced to 60mins. Clock stopped every time the ball is out of play.

1. The idea is make the game more fluid. Corners, free kicks, throw-ins etc can be taking more quickly if the team in possession wishes to do so.
2. I always thought it was a bit strange that the ball had to leave the penalty area.
3. Again, the idea is to make the game more fluid. Can lead to confusion though. "Hang on Ref... I didn't take the free kick, I was just passing to my mate who was going to take the free kick."
4. Players handling the ball in order to stop a certain goal would get red carded and the goal is awarded anyway. It's a "cheats shouldn't prosper" rule.
5. One of the major criticisms of football rules in the US is that people do not know exactly when the game will end. Seriously, they are confused about it. This is to add a little more clarity to how long the game will go on for with ref's watch and the electronic scoreboard in sync.
6. Harsh. But again, fluidity is the thinking...
7. Basically, you get one chance to score a penalty. Rebounds from the woodwork or the keeper would be not be allowed. The idea is stop encroachment during a penalty kick.
8. Curiously, the thinking behind this to increase the amount of football being played. According to IFAB, studies have shown that in 90 minute matches, it is quite common for less that 60 mins of actual football being played. It also plays into the US confusion about when the game will end.
9. Only the captains will be allowed to talk to the ref. The idea is to prevent ref's from being mobbed and intimidated by irate players.

Note though that these are only suggestions and there will be a lot of scrutiny, discussion and trials before any of these enhance or ruin the beautiful game.

Some proposed changes are being trialled at the moment. The ABBA amendment to penalty shootouts is being used in the Confederations Cup right now. Instead of penalty shootouts going ABAB... They will now be in the order ABBA...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2017 2:02:05 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2679
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 8:44:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

2. The ball no longer has to leave own 16 after a 5m or free kick within own 16.
4. If a defending player (other than the keeper) uses his hands to stop the ball on the goal line, a goal is to be rewarded to the attacking team.
6. If a keeper picks up a pass from his own players, a penalty will be given to the other team.
8. Match time reduced to 60mins. Clock stopped every time the ball is out of play.

1. The idea is make the game more fluid. Corners, free kicks, throw-ins etc can be taking more quickly if the team in possession wishes to do so.
2. I always thought it was a bit strange that the ball had to leave the penalty area.
3. Again, the idea is to make the game more fluid. Can lead to confusion though. "Hang on Ref... I didn't take the free kick, I was just passing to my mate who was going to take the free kick."
4. Players handling the ball in order to stop a certain goal would get red carded and the goal is awarded anyway. It's a "cheats shouldn't prosper" rule.
5. One of the major criticisms of football rules in the US is that people do not know exactly when the game will end. Seriously, they are confused about it. This is to add a little more clarity to how long the game will go on for with ref's watch and the electronic scoreboard in sync.
7. Basically, you get one chance to score a penalty. Rebounds from the woodwork or the keeper would be not be allowed. The idea is stop encroachment during a penalty kick.
8. Curiously, the thinking behind this to increase the amount of football being played. According to IFAB, studies have shown that in 90 minute matches, it is quite common for less that 60 mins of actual football being played. It also plays into the US confusion about when the game will end.
9. Only the captains will be allowed to talk to the ref. The idea is to prevent ref's from being mobbed and intimidated by irate players.

Note though that these are only suggestions and there will be a lot of scrutiny, discussion and trials before any of these enhance or ruin the beautiful game.

Some proposed changes are being trialled at the moment. The ABBA amendment to penalty shootouts is being used in the Confederations Cup right now. Instead of penalty shootouts going ABAB... They will now be in the order ABBA...

Best wishes,
Steve

Why not change the offside rule, while they're at it?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2680
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 11:31:03 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Why not change the offside rule, while they're at it?

Don't tempt them...

Besides, the offside rule has already been changed twice since it's original formuulation. Rule changes have always occured. Golden Goal anyone?

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/23/2017 11:40:14 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2681
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 11:37:44 PM   
warspite1

How about a sensible rule change:

"Tottenham Hotspur must win the Premiership before warspite1 shuffles off this mortal coil"...... please.....

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2682
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 11:42:09 PM   
shunwick

quote:

"Tottenham Hotspur must win the Premiership before warspite1 shuffles off this mortal coil"...... please.....

Hmmm....

I am not sure they could bring that rule in quickly enough....

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2683
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 11:43:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Hmmm....

I am not sure they could bring that rule in quickly enough....

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

What do you know that I don't?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2684
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/23/2017 11:47:53 PM   
shunwick

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/24/2017 3:36:12 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2685
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/24/2017 11:39:16 AM   
Orm

For once I seem to have won a bet.

Unfortunately, it seems close to impossible to settle the terms of the bet.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2686
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2017 10:00:26 AM   
loki100

For those feeling relapse symptons as most European leagues are in hibernation this week brings us ...

the start of the annual "crash out of Europe early" competition for Scottish clubs. On offer are (in the Europa league):

Rangers vs a team from Luxembourg (unfortunately I suspect that Rangers will survive this)
St Johnstone vs Trakai (my bet is on our chums from Perth crashing out in traditional Scottish style)

then next week we have the fun of a likely match between Celtic and Linfield (just in time for the 12 July and all the sectarian delights that brings to both Glasgow and Belfast) and Aberdeen enter the Europa league

My bet is St Johnstone out before July and most of the rest gone by the end of July (assuming Rangers survive their encounter with Luxembourg they are most likely to meet a decent Cypriot team in the next round).

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2687
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2017 10:34:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

For those feeling relapse symptons as most European leagues are in hibernation this week brings us ...

the start of the annual "crash out of Europe early" competition for Scottish clubs. On offer are (in the Europa league):

Rangers vs a team from Luxembourg (unfortunately I suspect that Rangers will survive this)
St Johnstone vs Trakai (my bet is on our chums from Perth crashing out in traditional Scottish style)

then next week we have the fun of a likely match between Celtic and Linfield (just in time for the 12 July and all the sectarian delights that brings to both Glasgow and Belfast) and Aberdeen enter the Europa league

My bet is St Johnstone out before July and most of the rest gone by the end of July (assuming Rangers survive their encounter with Luxembourg they are most likely to meet a decent Cypriot team in the next round).
warspite1

Well, as you know, I take no pleasure in saying this but....

You know how in boxing the rule was always - never bet on the white guy? Well since the mid-eighties its been - never bet on the Scottish team....

I didn't realise Celtic and Linfield were drawn together. But I have to go with Linfield on that one.

As for the other predictions, I am afraid I can't argue with you. I have no idea who Trakai are, where they are from, or how good they are. But yes, St Johnstone will find this too Trakai (geddit? ) and depart the scene without troubling the scorers.... closely followed by Rangers and Aberdeen .

The tactical genius that is Brendan Rogers has a chance of making the Champions League group stage unfortunately. Sorry but that is the one Scottish team that comes close to Arsenal for me. British or not, I can't stand either and to paraphrase WSC - if Arsenal/Celtic were playing the Devils XI, I'd be rooting for Bealzebub.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/25/2017 12:21:35 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2688
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/25/2017 1:56:39 PM   
loki100

quote:

The tactical genius that is Brendan Rogers has a chance of making the Champions League group stage unfortunately. Sorry but that is the one Scottish team that comes close to Arsenal for me. British or not, I can't stand either and to paraphrase WSC - if Arsenal/Celtic were playing the Devils XI, I'd be rooting for Bealzebub.

must confess that like most people who don't go to watch a football match only to be treated to a partial rendition of Irish history I tend to the 'plague on both their houses' approach to Rangers and Celtic. One of many reasons for going to watch Partick Thistle if I fancy a match is that they are - quite deliberately - the only Glasgow club not to define themselves in terms of other identities (trying to stay in forum rules here).

Of course, for the really esoteric experience, go and watch Queens Park (which geographically is my local team). The only way to explain this is to imagine some second tier non-league side who happened to play at Wembley as their home ground. So you can go to Hampden, with a crowd of about 350-500, to watch pretty inept (but quite good fun) football played by a non-professional (by choice) team in a ground best suited to crowds over 60,000. The big needle match is with Clyde who might bring about 100 or so.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2689
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2017 5:45:08 AM   
warspite1

Ah.. equilibrium is restored. The world makes sense once more.

England lose a semi-final penalty shoot out to the Germans.....

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2690
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2017 6:31:47 AM   
Orm

quote:

Indeed.

A Swedish team that work hard, and well together, gets results against the odds. Suddenly, we are the best ball passers in the world, and forget all about the hard working part, and decide to play a passing football where walking is around the field is more preferably than running.

And, predictably, gets no results at all.

The interesting part is that this, of course, needs to be deeply analysed and examined so that they know how to proceed to become the best ball passers in the world.

Bah! What is wrong with a hard working team?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2691
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2017 7:53:37 PM   
Orm

Do you guys agree with this?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/emirates-stadium-london-stadium-have-worst-atmosphere-in-premier-league-as-white-hart-lane-tops-a3563386.html

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2692
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2017 7:57:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Do you guys agree with this?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/emirates-stadium-london-stadium-have-worst-atmosphere-in-premier-league-as-white-hart-lane-tops-a3563386.html

warspite1

Of course!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2693
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2017 8:06:27 PM   
Orm

Very interesting. And saddening. Although I am not really surprised. More surprised that someone writes about it.

http://www.bild.de/bild-plus/sport/fussball/fifa/der-garcia-report-52325748,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

I just wish I was better at reading German. I must either get it translated or find a English newspaper that has this stuff.

Two million dollars to a ten year old and FIFA doesn't consider it interesting enough to be included in the final report regarding the next world cup?!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2694
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/28/2017 8:42:42 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Very interesting. And saddening. Although I am not really surprised. More surprised that someone writes about it.

http://www.bild.de/bild-plus/sport/fussball/fifa/der-garcia-report-52325748,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

I just wish I was better at reading German. I must either get it translated or find a English newspaper that has this stuff.

Two million dollars to a ten year old and FIFA doesn't consider it interesting enough to be included in the final report regarding the next world cup?!

Well, from the little we know about the 430 page Garcia Report, it details the corruption at FIFA over the awarding of World Cups to Russia and Qatar. It has been described as the most explosive anti-corruption report in sport. FIFA refuse to publish it but it is known that arrests have been made on the basis of it's findings. Garcia believes the report should be published. FIFA apparently believes it will be heavily damaged if the report is made public.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2695
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/29/2017 7:07:49 PM   
loki100

quote:

and,just so as not to disturb the established order its only taken 14 minutes and:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2696
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2017 6:16:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

and,just so as not to disturb the established order its only taken 14 minutes and:

warspite1

Depressing. Rangers hammer a bunch of Luxembourgers at home 1-0....

...while for St Johnstone it got worse - conceding a second away goal

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2697
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/30/2017 7:23:07 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

It is the end result, after both matches has been played, that counts.

Or, at least, that is what I currently tell myself.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2698
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2017 9:57:58 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

It is the end result, after both matches has been played, that counts.

Or, at least, that is what I currently tell myself.
warspite1

Well I don't think St Johnstone are going to go to Lithuania and get 2 goals.

As for Rangers - they were at home and they were playing a team from Luxembourg - I don't think it matters what the score is after two legs. The first leg alone is sufficiently depressing.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2699
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/1/2017 10:04:44 AM   
warspite1

On a more pleasant note. The Chairman of Fulham made a very classy comment in response to Scott Parker's retirement.

Scott only played for Spurs for 2 seasons, but he is amongst my favourite Spurs players for the work he put in. Great to see he's coming back in a coaching role.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4654280/Fulham-chairman-Shahid-Khan-pays-tribute-Scott-Parker.html

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2700
Page:   <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI