Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scientists/foreign spies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Scientists/foreign spies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scientists/foreign spies - 5/16/2012 7:54:31 AM   
Snoofleglax

Just got the game a couple weeks ago, and really enjoying it, but one thing that's kind of irritating me a bit. I've been playing as Human for a few games, and it seems that more often than not, when a scientist pops up, one of his traits is "Foreign Spy". Like, right off the bat. The last four scientists I've gotten across two games have all been foreign spies.

Now I don't know how often the AI does the "Steal Technology" spy mission, but that doesn't seem to be a good trait for a scientist to have.

Is it common for scientists to be foreign spies, am I just having a run of bad luck, or is there some factor that I'm not aware of that affects how often scientists are foreign spies?
Post #: 1
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 5/16/2012 9:13:51 AM   
onomastikon

Hi snoofleglax and welcome to the forums!

Although I have never played the humans, most of the scientists I have gotten have not had this trait, so it may just be luck. With that being said, I believe that over 50% of the Personae I have "recruited" have all had some significantly debilitating or otherwise hindering trait (e.g. most of my admirals are poor space logicians or drunks). This is just part of the game (for good or ill).

I really like your handle (snoofleglax) by the way.

(in reply to Snoofleglax)
Post #: 2
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 5/16/2012 6:02:18 PM   
Ralzakark

Think it might be just a run of bad luck. You can also get a trait of 'Partiot' which reduces the chance of enemy spying missions.

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 3
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 5/17/2012 1:03:01 AM   
Dracus

it is funny when you get the neg trait after winning a battle. Mostly the one poor shooting.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 4
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 5/17/2012 8:51:49 AM   
jpwrunyan

I thought it was a race trait thing. Nearly all my human spies started with corrupt for example. So I stopped playing humans. All my Securian and Ikuro scientists were also foreign spies (even if the scientist was from another race). Likewise I think all my securian admirals started with poor tactician. Kinda doubt it was just bad luck. At best its a bad random procedure (ie not random) at worst its by design.

Anyway, I think it sucks.

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 5
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 5/21/2012 4:52:31 PM   
Shark7

Basically its the offset. That is there is no superman when it comes to leaders. While many of them have some truly great traits, it is not uncommon for a leader to have a quirk or a really bad trait.

This is very true of human nature as well.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 6
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 5/23/2012 4:33:55 PM   
Beag

Funny enough, in all my Zenox games I usually get patriots, which is good since I often have plenty of tech for others to steal.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Scientists/foreign spies - 6/2/2012 6:49:21 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

I thought it was a race trait thing. Nearly all my human spies started with corrupt for example. So I stopped playing humans. All my Securian and Ikuro scientists were also foreign spies (even if the scientist was from another race). Likewise I think all my securian admirals started with poor tactician. Kinda doubt it was just bad luck. At best its a bad random procedure (ie not random) at worst its by design.

Anyway, I think it sucks.

Why not just dismiss them if they suck? I thought the spawning process was such that events have a possibility of producing - leaders. Victories in space gives you a chance at an admiral, construction of research facilities has a chance of making a scientist.

So, just dismiss the losers, scrap a couple of research facilities and rebuild them. Rinse and repeat till you've spawned another.

Or just dismiss the drunken traitor. You aren't losing anything if his net bonus is negative. When another spawns, great. If not, you're still ahead on the deal.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Scientists/foreign spies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI