Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 races Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/5/2013 5:54:57 PM   
Haree78

That sounds like the Yor and the Gizzurean. Gizzies have super birth rates and the Yor can build Colonisation fast.
The Napoar can also research colonisation techs easy because of their robot bodies.

If you want a race that is going to take over everything more than these races that sounds a little overpowered and I made a big point of balance with the new races.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 241
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/5/2013 6:35:11 PM   
dostillevi

Ah ok, I haven't seen the Yor in a game yet. Usually I see the Gizzurean getting involved in wars quickly/early. That prevents them from using their expansionistic qualities effectively, to the point where they are smaller than most races even in the early to mid game. On the other hand, if I am near them, I end up with massive populations of Gizzureans in my empire if I allow it.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 242
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/5/2013 6:53:57 PM   
Haree78

It really is about starting position and the random Galaxy. I have seen Gizzies do amazingly plenty of times. In the vanilla game without extended races they are much less likely to do well in my experience. The Extended races add an extra dose of random to allow them a chance of a much more comfortable start in some games.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 243
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/5/2013 7:51:30 PM   
dostillevi

Well thank you again for putting so much effort into this mod. I need to play more and mod less! I'm working on adding the maximum allowed races to my game right now, then its off to conquer the galaxy!

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 244
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/8/2013 12:54:04 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

Hi there,

thank you for your mod.

I have a question, concerning the pirates !
I started your mod with settings "many" pirates ... and used ALL 38 races from your mod ...
but now after 40 years it seems there was only ONE pirate placed , even he has now over 1800 ships ...
also I am using the option "no respawning" of pirates.

so the more races I use, the fewer pirates, up to 40 all in all ?
Or is there a bug ?

I started with shadows ver 5 a new game with your mod, as I had in my last game that transportation bug !

THX

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 245
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/8/2013 1:24:29 PM   
Haree78

Can you upload the save file somewhere? I'd really like to have a look at the game and report it to the devs if I think there is an issue.

Just to check, you are using an unmodified version of the latest version of Distant Worlds Extended? (Not that I think a modified version should have a chance to do what you are seeing, I just want to let Elliot know for reporting the issue)

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 246
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/8/2013 10:10:45 PM   
Webbco

I've been using this mod for a while now - I love it, thank you Haree. I have recently run into a problem though, with Shadows (since 1.9.0.2), and was wondering if it was Extended that's causing the problem as it's the only mod I have installed.

I'm playing as a pre-warp empire and every pirate empire I have encountered - at least 18 - have the same "Balanced" pirate avatar picture in the diplomacy screen. It might simply be coincidence, but it seems unlikely. Does anyone else that uses Extended have this issue?

Edit: make that 30 pirate empires now!

< Message edited by Webbco -- 6/8/2013 10:15:16 PM >

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 247
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/8/2013 11:40:59 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Can you upload the save file somewhere? I'd really like to have a look at the game and report it to the devs if I think there is an issue.

Just to check, you are using an unmodified version of the latest version of Distant Worlds Extended? (Not that I think a modified version should have a chance to do what you are seeing, I just want to let Elliot know for reporting the issue)

I have seen in the core game Folders are only 40 flags and the pirate flags are only overlays ... so if you have already 39 AI races in the game , there is only one left for the pirates ! Looks like that !

Only some Images, but that have been changed direct in the core game ...
here we go:
Ostarrichi II.dwg

maybe I haven't met them jet :-)

Also you have that file, vssver2.scc in your pirates Folder ... not such file in the core game ...

< Message edited by FlashXAron -- 6/8/2013 11:53:24 PM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 248
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 1:26:23 AM   
Mansen

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashXAron

Also you have that file, vssver2.scc in your pirates Folder ... not such file in the core game ...

Ignore it - Thumbnail file for the system...

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

Post #: 249
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 3:06:32 AM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

I've been using this mod for a while now - I love it, thank you Haree. I have recently run into a problem though, with Shadows (since 1.9.0.2), and was wondering if it was Extended that's causing the problem as it's the only mod I have installed.

I'm playing as a pre-warp empire and every pirate empire I have encountered - at least 18 - have the same "Balanced" pirate avatar picture in the diplomacy screen. It might simply be coincidence, but it seems unlikely. Does anyone else that uses Extended have this issue?

Edit: make that 30 pirate empires now!

It's not something I'm seeing, and you can watch Das's Let's Play to see this isn't systemic of the mod Let's Play Distant Worlds by Das

I would report it as a bug as I'm pretty sure rolling 30 6 on the dice is unlikely. I take it you have tried several games where this is happening?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 250
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 3:52:03 AM   
Azuran

I haven't had that issue in this mod (1.9.0.5), but I would check in the races files if this setting is set to 0 for all races.

LINE 283
'Pirate Default playstyle: 0=Balanced, 1=Pirate, 2=Mercenary, 3=Smuggler
PirateDefaultPlaystyle		;0

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 251
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 4:51:45 AM   
Haree78

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

I have seen in the core game Folders are only 40 flags and the pirate flags are only overlays ... so if you have already 39 AI races in the game , there is only one left for the pirates ! Looks like that !

Only some Images, but that have been changed direct in the core game ...
here we go:
Ostarrichi II.dwg

maybe I haven't met them jet :-)

Haha well it's easy to see why this is happening.
You have an insane amount of empires in your game for the amount of stars. Or rather how tight the stars are clustered. You have all 36 races as an empire What did you set the distance of pirates to? Even if you set them to near I'm not sure there is anywhere for the game to think is safe to put them!

Basically when pirates are spawned the game tries to put them a certain distance away from the empires but if you have empires all over the map, well it's gonna struggle ;)

Post #: 252
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 4:54:16 AM   
Haree78

With that amount of empires the game works better as an irregular galaxy type, or maybe spiral. To be honest I haven't tried that many races in a long time. Many moons ago this would crash the game although it's come a long way since then.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 253
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 5:54:31 AM   
FlashXAron_slith

aaahh okay ... so no space for pirates :-) ... as I set it to the next possibility after close ! (Would have to look what it was)

That was the largest map setting, which has been possible at the start, with the most stars ...

I already have FINISHED 3 games with that settings before shadows :-)

Is it possible to edit the setting of the save game to allow to spawn pirates again closer ?

Thanks for looking into it !
And thank you for you mod !

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 254
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/9/2013 12:27:06 PM   
Haree78

quote:

Is it possible to edit the setting of the save game to allow to spawn pirates again closer ?

I'm afraid not.

Post #: 255
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 1:54:49 AM   
pycco

Thank you for making this mod I really enjoy the diversity it adds

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 256
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 3:58:46 AM   
TrooperCooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: pycco

Thank you for making this mod I really enjoy the diversity it adds

I second this. Started using your mod a few days ago and love it. Now the galaxy is really packed.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 257
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 4:12:47 AM   
Haree78

Glad you guys are enjoying :)

(in reply to TrooperCooper)
Post #: 258
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 1:03:21 PM   
Unforeseen

Hey just wondering; is there any correlation between the Keskudon and the supposed Annunaki/Reptilian aliens theory? I also noticed that the Enton distantly resemble how the Grays are theorized to behave and they 'kind' of look like them.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 259
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 3:07:32 PM   
Haree78

Yes Entons are inspired by the greys ;)
I didn't know anything about the Annunaki alien theory, so I can't say the Keskudons were inspired by that. I just came up with the idea of a race who enslaves everyone because they had once owned this galaxy and saw everyone else who had evolved and advanced after them as just weeds getting in the way. After all the Galaxy is pretty damn old, life might have found a way even if the Galaxy would have been a less hospitable place for us.
Tairoshans were inspired by the idea that our morals come from our own evolution and what benefits us and a race with a different evolution background would perhaps have completely different morals and would judge others based on it. Through previous modding I realised that it would be interesting to do races that got on with everyone or were hated by everyone, this was the basis for coming up with ideas for the Tairoshan and Keskudon.
The Lipids were just an idea that a parasite doesn't always do harm and that life lives in harmony with some parasites. It would be an evolutionary benefit if a parasite was desired because of it's benefits. I had this idea how important is happiness because it is something we always search for, I imagine something like them may actually be chosen by a lot of people on this planet. The picture makes them look a lot more grim than I intended but I was lacking options.
The Visareen inspired by certain countries east of me on the planet.
Phaerax I wanted a much more alien alien, like how some insects are bizarre to us. I developed on how some animals can 'see' things we can't using sound, or hear things we can't, what if they evolved a way to use micro waves.
The Riktoh by the gold rush period in America.
The Jintus by a friend I had as a youth who liked to stir trouble then stand behind other friends who were twice his size in height and let them deal with it. It was pointed out to me that the Jintus are mentioned in the help files so I had to come up with a background for them.
The Napoar because I was curious about the idea of consciousness, and if we replaced parts of our brain with machine would we still be us? Is it possible to maintain our 'selves' if we entirely replaced the brain with mechanics of similar function. Also I notice in people behaviours and personality traits that are so obviously caused by our instincts, I wondered what we would be like if we removed instincts out of the equation.
The Caleph because I thought 3D space navigation would be quite a skill and what if a creature did that naturally they would be amazing at it. The idea taken from Starbase Orion on the iPad.
The XHumans because I was always curious what would happen if humans had some form of speciation and what this would do to us.
The Ortain because it was an idea of entirely AI robots which we created in our own image. And then I had the idea that if we did that and for some reason got wiped out it would be curious if we had created them to the extent to be self sufficient.
Paratis inspired by Keterovs mostly, I wanted a similar race for the insects.
The Tarapin inspired by how some race minorities were treated in the past but please don't look at racial characteristic and think I mean anything by that. I just designed an alien with similar background.
Lemeresh were inspired by how one of the races was introduced in Babylon 5, I forget their name and haven't seen all the series so they were inspired by them to a point.
Yor I wanted space cockroaches and were inspired a bit by 80s video game aliens.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 260
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 3:59:43 PM   
Unforeseen

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to me! In case your curious about the Annunaki; they are the 'gods' from the times of Sumer and Babylon who supposedly came from the 'heavens' and created created civilization. It is hard to get good legit details about them anymore but i've seen a lot of sources suggest that the Annunaki originally created human civilization as a work force to mine gold and eventually released them. The Annunaki apparently had 'helpers' which theorist's believe are the grays.

It is tough to find anything concurrent about it really; too many crazy conspiracy theorists changing the story and photoshopping images. But it's kind of cool that without any intention you created a race in DW very similar to the Keskudon; whom could have left earth as a result of the war with the Shakari and the great forgetting. The gray theory for the Annunaki helpers could easily be replaced with the Ortain; as supposedly the ancients labeled them as 'non-living'.

This gives me an interesting idea for a pre-warp game..

p.s. The Lipids may look like a blood thirsty, evil man eating monster but their soft and cuddly on the inside. lol

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 261
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/12/2013 7:19:56 PM   
dostillevi

Really interesting to see your motivations with the races!

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 262
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/21/2013 8:10:05 AM   
kfoelsch

Hi there. I just updated my DW Shadows install, and then downloaded your mod. However, when I go to select the theme, I can see it fine. When I select it, the cursor spins, and DW becomes unresponsive. Any tips towards resolving this?

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 263
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/21/2013 8:52:34 AM   
Haree78

It takes a long time to switch to the Extended theme and the behaviour you talk about is what I'd expect until it is done. You may want to give it longer to work.

(in reply to kfoelsch)
Post #: 264
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/21/2013 8:58:27 AM   
kfoelsch

Thank you. This time around it seemed to take less time and came back OK. I wonder what the difference was this time...

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 265
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/21/2013 9:22:03 AM   
Haree78

Sometimes an application can get stuck in a long process and be unable to respond to windows. This is due to the way it is programmed but isn't really sloppy, it's just you have to make sure anything that may take some time and not releasing the main process needs to be done on it's own thread. In other words more chances of introducing a bug, possibly having to segregate your code not how you originally envisioned and more things to consider from a programmer's perspective just to keep Windows happy.
So anyway, stuck in this long process Windows tries to talk to the program if for example you start clicking or hitting keys because you think it may have crashed. When Windows doesn't get a response it claims it is unresponsive.

TL/DR: When Windows says something is unresponsive and you can close or wait it's most of the time worth clicking wait and giving it quite a long time before killing the process.

(in reply to kfoelsch)
Post #: 266
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/22/2013 12:50:23 AM   
criticom41

Ya thanks Haree best mod on distant worlds in my opinion by a long shot!!! you should be part of the dev team :)
Isn't it a pity you can't get several mods to run side by side?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 267
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/22/2013 9:25:33 AM   
Haree78

That's a nice dream ;)

(in reply to criticom41)
Post #: 268
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/22/2013 9:39:42 AM   
kasper747

Haree, are you using some tool for management of the changes in your mod? You have a lot of races, so it must be a pain to make some changes in all of them if some patch make something different.

Also are you making special ship design tamps for races? Or have you some ideas about it?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 269
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 r... - 6/22/2013 10:13:15 AM   
Haree78

I'm not using any tools to manage changes. As part of the beta test team I am able to dive in to the files of new versions and see game changes quite easily and keep the mod up to date. I have a lot of experience with the files involved in the mod so I really don't need any help managing it.
Updating to the Shadows version of the mod was a LOT of work but it is worth it. This mod gets a hell of a lot of downloads and was way more popular than my BSG mod which is a massive compliment.

I had a hand in the design templates that were released with Shadows so you can lay some blame on me if you spot anything you don't like there! With this work I was able to use what I learned to create ship designs for each of the extended races also which is included in the mod.

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 6/22/2013 10:14:17 AM >

(in reply to kasper747)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Shadows 3.0.1 released 38 races Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI