Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Avatars?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Avatars? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/13/2016 7:10:22 PM   
Centuur

My uncle on my mothers side (well we called him a uncle, but he was in reality the son of my great-grandmother) would be in a German ENG (he was in the "Sturmpioniere" and fought at Stalingrad, got wounded there and was one of the last wounded men to be evacuated from the surrounded city).

One of my uncles on my fathers side would be part of a Dutch convoy point. He got torpedoed two times during the war by U-boats. And one of my aunts and another uncle (15 year old) would have to be represented by a partisan counter in the Netherlands, since they were transporting mail and illegal newspapers for the resistance in the Netherlands...

But I'm pretty happy with the "onderzeeboot"...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 5/13/2016 7:13:55 PM >

Peter

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 391
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/13/2016 11:48:44 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

My dad would be, I guess, part of a bomber counter based in Calcutta (i.e., China-India-Burma theater). He was in a communications squad in the Army Air Corps based in Calcutta during the war. He was enlisted. They couldn't drink the water so they'd store a case of beer under their bunks and drink warm beer, instead of water. Growing up I can remember my dad drinking warm beer. I guess he got used to and liked it.

Or something like that ?

Wow! Looks great! Thanks!

Ronnie

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 392
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/14/2016 12:33:48 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

quote:

My dad would be, I guess, part of a bomber counter based in Calcutta (i.e., China-India-Burma theater). He was in a communications squad in the Army Air Corps based in Calcutta during the war. He was enlisted. They couldn't drink the water so they'd store a case of beer under their bunks and drink warm beer, instead of water. Growing up I can remember my dad drinking warm beer. I guess he got used to and liked it.

Or something like that ?

Wow! Looks great! Thanks!

Here's a picture of my Mom and Dad taken shortly after the war and before they were married.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 393
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/14/2016 2:08:01 AM   
tom730_slith

She looks so sweet! He looks like a real American serviceman of that era - confident and strong.
It's really nice to have old pix like that. He must have had some dreary duty in Calcutta. Warm beer and all!
At least my dad had the opportunity to see the English countryside, every chance he got! Initially he'd take a bike and ride as far as he could go. Then later on he had access to a jeep and he saw so much and really loved it. He told me he once stopped in a little shop that sold fish & chips and wanted to get some chips. He asked for a shillings worth. "That's a lot of chips Yank - are you sure?" the proprietor asked. "Yes sir, I'm pretty hungry!" Pop answered.
The proprietor rolled up an entire newspaper into a funnel and loaded it up with chips. My dad ate every one.
It was nice when the war stories didn't involve fear of death - just indigestion!

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 394
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/14/2016 2:11:36 AM   
tom730_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Try this. Been a while since I made one. In fact, I had to download an app since Ive had a computer change since then.

Thank you sir! I'll get a computer savvy friend to help me apply this!
Much appreciated!
Tom

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 395
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/14/2016 3:11:16 AM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

Wow. An avatar to honor my father in WW II would be a US CP. What would other people's be?

My cousin in Germany...18 years old in 1943 was presented the option of Fallschrimjager or Alpine because of his good test scores. He decided on Fallschrimjager because of the recent high combat losses of the Alpine troops, and his father flew scout planes in WWI.

Formed up under the 3rd Fallschrimjager division in France (Reims), and spent most of his time pre D-day near the French coast at Calais as a radar/signalsman while most of his division went to Brest. Later (March or April '45) he was added to the 9th Fallschrimjager division in Berlin (Fallschrim-Luftnachrichten-Abteilung 9). Volunteered to be a picket in between the Oder and Berlin...was lucky to be in a gap between the Polish and Russian armies, snuck out behind them, surrendered to Canadian troops near Hamburg.

Biggest accomplishment in WWII: Never having killed anyone.

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 5/14/2016 3:24:21 AM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 396
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/14/2016 3:53:15 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: tom730

She looks so sweet! He looks like a real American serviceman of that era - confident and strong.
It's really nice to have old pix like that. He must have had some dreary duty in Calcutta. Warm beer and all!
At least my dad had the opportunity to see the English countryside, every chance he got! Initially he'd take a bike and ride as far as he could go. Then later on he had access to a jeep and he saw so much and really loved it. He told me he once stopped in a little shop that sold fish & chips and wanted to get some chips. He asked for a shillings worth. "That's a lot of chips Yank - are you sure?" the proprietor asked. "Yes sir, I'm pretty hungry!" Pop answered.
The proprietor rolled up an entire newspaper into a funnel and loaded it up with chips. My dad ate every one.
It was nice when the war stories didn't involve fear of death - just indigestion!
Thanks. I love to hear those stories too. My Dad told me a story once about a briefing he overheard from a British Major to Gurkhas Officers on airdropping their Gurkhas unit. The Major started by saying they were going to drop the men at 500 feet. Immediately the Gurkhas Officers took issue with this and the British Major was confounded. Gurkhas troops were tough as nails and never refused any orders. As the "discussion" went on the ranking Gurkhas Officer told the Major that we'll drop at 250 feet but not 500 feet. This confused the Major who said you mean you'll drop at 250 with parachutes but you won't drop at 500 feet? To which the Gurkhas officer replied, "Oh, we'll have parachutes?". True story according to my dad and one he told me often growing up. My dad passed 13-years ago at the age of 82 and my Mom passed 5-years ago at the age of 85.

Ronnie

(in reply to tom730_slith)
Post #: 397
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 5/15/2016 7:19:11 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Try this. Been a while since I made one. In fact, I had to download an app since Ive had a computer change since then.

Thank you sir! I'll get a computer savvy friend to help me apply this!
Much appreciated!
Tom

You're welcome. No need to have a friend do it for you as it is quite simple.

1) Right click the pic in my post and choose Save Image As and save it to your computer keeping note where you save it to.

2) Click the My Profile heading on the top right of this page

3) Scroll down to the My avatar column and click the top bullet circle in it's bracket; then click on the actual words Upload my picture (will replace the existing one) to its right.

4) In opened window click Browse and go to where you saved the pic on your computer. Double click it and hit OK. It will upload. Click OK again after it does.

5) Scroll to the bottom of the same page and click Apply.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 5/15/2016 5:22:02 PM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to tom730_slith)
Post #: 398
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 6/6/2016 11:13:04 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

Wqw! I wish I had some skill with computers or graphics or both!
Since I don't, would someone be willing to make a B-17 for me? It can be any version, but preferably an early one. It will be in honor of my Dad who was a top turret gunner in the Eight Air Force.
He flew in at least 3 different B-17s because two of them never made it back to base. Two were so shot up that one did a water landing in the North Sea and the other did a "belly landing" at a fighter base in southern England.
Rough duty. He was just a kid (lied about his age and joined at 16) and saw a number of friends die, and was wounded twice himself.
If it is possible to include a plane's name, one that he told me once was "Fertile Myrtle."
I miss him a lot lately.

Wow. An avatar to honor my father in WW II would be a US CP.

What would other people's be?
warspite1

My dad would be a Transport counter featuring an old Bedford truck (or whatever the army used in 1939-40).

My uncle (dad's older brother) would be one of the AA guns (but one that would not leave the UK).

An avatar to honour my uncle (dad'd younger brother) is already in game I have considered swapping HMS Warspite for the 43rd - even if just temporarily - but cannot do it. Would be great to have both!

129th Infantry Brigade - 4th Battalion - The Wiltshire Regiment.

Try this one instead for the 43rd division.

I wonder if the 43rd division could be made with the 'Khaki' mod. If that isn't to much trouble. I would like to see how it compares to the blue counter.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/6/2016 11:16:29 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 399
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 9/19/2016 8:25:46 PM   
warspite1

Froonp - if you are still knocking around these forums, could I ask you to work your magic on producing the following please:

HMS Illustrious
HMS Victorious
HMS Formidable
HMS Indomitable
HMS Indefatigable
HMS Implacable
A Hellcat
An Avenger (in dive-bombing pose)
A Corsair
A Seafire
A Firefly
A Barracuda

In beige if you can!

Many thanks

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/19/2016 9:15:36 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 400
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/6/2016 10:33:28 PM   
Timian

If possible, I'd appreciate a US CLAA Tucson counter being made / Having been born in Tucson Arizona and lived there 'till I was Commissioned (at the Unuversity of Arizona) in 1979 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army / Thank you, Don.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 401
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 7:41:46 PM   
Froonp

Sorry, missed this one.
But I don't know how to make the counters khaki.

quote:

Froonp - if you are still knocking around these forums, could I ask you to work your magic on producing the following please:

HMS Illustrious
HMS Victorious
HMS Formidable
HMS Indomitable
HMS Indefatigable
HMS Implacable
A Hellcat
A Corsair
A Seafire
A Firefly
A Barracuda

In beige if you can!

Many thanks

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 402
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 7:46:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Sorry, missed this one.

quote:

HMS Illustrious
HMS Victorious
HMS Formidable
HMS Indomitable
HMS Indefatigable
HMS Implacable
A Hellcat
A Corsair
A Seafire
A Firefly
A Barracuda

In beige if you can!

Many thanks

warspite1

Hi Froonp - I thought you'd left us!

No probs - Blue would be fine

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 403
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 7:57:13 PM   
Froonp

Here is it
quote:

ORIGINAL: Timian

If possible, I'd appreciate a US CLAA Tucson counter being made / Having been born in Tucson Arizona and lived there 'till I was Commissioned (at the Unuversity of Arizona) in 1979 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army / Thank you, Don.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Timian)
Post #: 404
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:19:31 PM   
Froonp

Here is the illustrious.
Remember to save it as a GIF file, otherwise the corners won't be rounded :-)

quote:

quote:

Sorry, missed this one.

quote:

HMS Illustrious
HMS Victorious
HMS Formidable
HMS Indomitable
HMS Indefatigable
HMS Implacable
A Hellcat
A Corsair
A Seafire
A Firefly
A Barracuda

In beige if you can!

Many thanks

warspite1

Hi Froonp - I thought you'd left us!

No probs - Blue would be fine

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 405
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:19:59 PM   
Froonp

The Victorious

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 406
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:20:24 PM   
Froonp

The Formidable

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 407
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:20:58 PM   
Froonp

The Indomitable

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 408
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:21:24 PM   
Froonp

The Indefatigable

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 409
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:21:50 PM   
Froonp

The Implacable

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 11/24/2016 8:22:00 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 410
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:23:32 PM   
Froonp

There is no Hellcat in the CW CVP that I can find (assuming you wanted it as a Hellcat CW CVP).
There is this one from the USN though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 411
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:23:56 PM   
Froonp

And this one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 412
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:24:30 PM   
Froonp

And this one, not a CVP, but still a beauty :-)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 413
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:25:07 PM   
Froonp

And this one, not a Hellcat, but it was beside the Hellcat :-)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 414
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:25:36 PM   
Froonp

And this one

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 415
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:26:25 PM   
Froonp

Okay, back on track, here is an Avenger.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 416
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:26:56 PM   
Froonp

A Corsair

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 417
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:27:14 PM   
Froonp

And a Seafire

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 418
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:27:44 PM   
Froonp

A Firefly, not the tank

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 419
RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Ava... - 11/24/2016 8:28:05 PM   
Froonp

A Barracuda

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Where are you getting the WiF Counters for your Avatars? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI