Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fourth Expansion?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Fourth Expansion? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/13/2014 12:38:46 AM   
Erik Rutins

I did actually send Adam some information for that article. Unfortunately it looks like he posted it before receiving my reply. Hopefully the information I sent him will show up on Space Sector soon.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 61
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/13/2014 1:57:11 AM   
Icemania

Is there any reason it can't be posted here?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 62
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/13/2014 2:54:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just as a courtesy to him, I'd like to give him the chance on that scoop first.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 63
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/13/2014 3:01:10 PM   
hewwo

Cool!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 64
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 3:28:48 AM   
Icemania

Fair enough.

I would add though, with all due respect to Adam (because SpaceSector is great), that surely it is time to hit a broader audience. I only discovered Adam's site by pure accident.

Take Polygon as one of various examples that could be referenced. I can read about Stardrive (when you have a far superior game) and Galactic Civilisations 3 (the market leader and a true competitor) but there is not even a whisper about Distant Worlds.

I do not understand the marketing strategy and how keeping it so amazingly quiet is the best approach. We all want to see a bigger community, more modders, and more profit so there is a bigger budget for Distant Worlds 2 don't we?

< Message edited by Icemania -- 1/14/2014 4:29:25 AM >

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 65
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 4:21:45 AM   
Spidey

The strategy is what it is, and doing Adam a favor probably means more free headline space with kind words.

What I'd like, if we're not getting the facts until Adam cares to share them with us, would at least be some indication of what sort of features we can hope for. If I say "scripting support", are we then talking or ? Component modding, or ? Detailed AI research and build strategies, or ? Galaxy shapes? Space creatures? Galactopedia updates for customized content? A tool for replacing in-game fonts?

Come on, Erik. You don't have to spill all the beans but at least give us a vague scent to go on.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 66
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 6:40:58 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidey
The strategy is what it is, and doing Adam a favor probably means more free headline space with kind words.

Indeed ... it is what it is. If possible I'd like a slightly more considered discussion.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 67
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 7:18:16 AM   
Canute0

quote:

A tool for replacing in-game fonts?

I bet a tool to shut down annoying custumer to prevent them to do unnessesary question ! :-))

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 68
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 10:28:23 AM   
Osito

Well, we know Adam reads these boards, so, "Hey, Adam, please publish the informaton, ok? Pretty please!"

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 69
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 11:54:44 AM   
Canute0

No Adam take your time, do it right !

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 70
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 1:59:25 PM   
Algon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Well, we know Adam reads these boards, so, "Hey, Adam, please publish the informaton, ok? Pretty please!"

Your wish has been granted.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 71
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 2:00:27 PM   
Osito

Thank you, Adam!

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 72
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 2:03:39 PM   
joeyeti

Perfect! Everything everyone always craved for!
You just made many people's day, Erik!

Joe

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 73
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 3:33:10 PM   
Flinkebeinchen

Get Distant Worlds Universe to Steam, integrate Steam Works for easy Mod Support and you will get massive amounts of sales, imho

P.S.: I really would love to have this game in my Steam library.. or even a working Steam Overlay would be cool

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 74
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 3:36:52 PM   
DevildogFF

A hundred percent what FLINKE said.

(in reply to Flinkebeinchen)
Post #: 75
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 4:44:32 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flinkebeinchen

Get Distant Worlds Universe to Steam, integrate Steam Works for easy Mod Support and you will get massive amounts of sales, imho

P.S.: I really would love to have this game in my Steam library.. or even a working Steam Overlay would be cool

I would keep those sorts of comments to yourself or this thread will get locked, trust me there is a graveyard of locked threads out there because of it.

Darkspire

Post #: 76
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 5:09:52 PM   
joeyeti

I would not see that that redically - just FYI, Steam has been discussed to death and it is not the way the devs and Matrix want to go. Period...

Joe

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 77
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 5:27:33 PM   
Spidey

I don't know if you'll ever read this, Adam, but thank you for that article. Really solid timing on that one.

And thank you Code Force and Matrix. This is absolutely awesome news. Some bit of scripting, component modding, resource adjustments, galaxy shapes... I'm loving it already and I haven't even seen it.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 78
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 8:13:30 PM   
Flinkebeinchen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

I would keep those sorts of comments to yourself or this thread will get locked, trust me there is a graveyard of locked threads out there because of it.

Darkspire

Its just my personal opinion nothing more involved here.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 79
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/14/2014 11:16:43 PM   
Algon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flinkebeinchen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Darkspire

Its just my personal opinion nothing more involved here.

And there are opinions which oppose yours.

Post #: 80
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/15/2014 9:34:48 AM   
joeyeti

No need to get hostile guys! Enjoy playing :)

Joe

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 81
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/15/2014 1:36:20 PM   
Spidey

@ Ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania
Indeed ... it is what it is. If possible I'd like a slightly more considered discussion.

A more considered discussion would of course be nice, but I don't think publisers are all that fond of discussing their marketing strategies and certainly not with an audience that has unknown qualifications.

So it is what it is, much like how Steam controls the version of your games or how certain Blizzard games are always online. It's their decision and there's very little hope of getting an honest discussion about it in public, even if Erik is a lot more participatory on this forum than most executives in the business.

By the way, one thing we definitely don't know anything about is actually the agreement between Matrix and Code Force, and if we are to discuss or evaluate the publisher's performance then that's sort of problematic. What if the deal doesn't include much of a marketing campaign? What if they're building up for something somewhat bigger once we get closer to the release date of Universe?

I'm quit fond of speculation but in this case we really don't have too much to go on. There's the lack of active measures on various forums around the Internet or any significant advertisement campaigns but that's about it. These "lacks" could very well be entirely according to agreement.

Final thing, what brought me here was actually Adam posting a comment about a review done on SotS2 (IIRC) at the SotS forum. They weren't too pleased that he wasn't that impressed and felt a bit short changed, and someone even argued that such was to be expected from someone who rated DW that highly. Then I read his DW review, took a peak at this forum, and started getting into this game. That's at least one sale as a consequence of being nice to Adam in return for positive mentions, isn't it?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 82
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/16/2014 9:03:54 AM   
Icemania

There is plenty of speculation and amusement here:

Niche game or undermarketed?

I fully agree doing the right thing by Adam was important.

Erik participates but Galactic Civilisations 3 is a mile ahead in Marketing e.g. news on major gaming sites, various information available, Frogboy asking for feedback in various areas etc. And also everyone could learn a thing or ten from Star Citizen.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 83
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/17/2014 12:43:54 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: DevildogFF

quote:

What's going on anyway DevildogFF ... playing more Distant Worlds than Stardrive eh?

Well, it does have more legs than the latter....soooo yeah. I am. In all honesty, I've probably put 3 times as many hours in to DW than SD.

A combination of the two would rock my world, though.

You made want to update this thread then ...

(in reply to DevildogFF)
Post #: 84
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/18/2014 6:03:53 PM   
DevildogFF

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's going on anyway DevildogFF ... playing more Distant Worlds than Stardrive eh?

Well, it does have more legs than the latter....soooo yeah. I am. In all honesty, I've probably put 3 times as many hours in to DW than SD.

Hahahaha! What a thread necro! That was before the Shadows expansion. Something about Shadows just really helped it click with me. I think it's the pre-warp mode, but yeah, if it *needs* to be updated....

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 85
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/18/2014 6:27:15 PM   
Osito

You're not the only one who failed to get into DW at the first attempt. I had the game for about 8 months before I really started playing it. Funny what you say about pre-warp, though, because I feel the same way. For me there is just something more satisfying about starting with no hyperdrive tech and no space ships. Weird really, because in many ways the pre-warp part is rather boring (although I reckon a bit of modding might fix that), but I still enjoy it.

(in reply to DevildogFF)
Post #: 86
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/19/2014 1:24:38 AM   
Icemania

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hahahaha! What a thread necro! That was before the Shadows expansion. Something about Shadows just really helped it click with me. I think it's the pre-warp mode, but yeah, if it *needs* to be updated....

It's all in jest DevildogFF, you are a very welcome addition to the commmunity.

If one is going to necro a thread, gotta make it good ...

(in reply to DevildogFF)
Post #: 87
RE: Fourth Expansion? - 1/19/2014 1:53:39 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See? DW grows on you! ...like a fungus!!

(in reply to DevildogFF)
Post #: 88
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Fourth Expansion? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI