Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire - 3/12/2015 12:17:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Now that is a big boost to morale!

Excellent strike and plan

I hope it translates into a month or more time gained...just don't know.

The 23rd Division made it to the dirt road from Tuang Gyi, where it will sit and dig in to be joined by more troops. Not sure that this is the best hex to buildup, since the route path is uncertain.

KB going dark again....have to hurry because the Corsair Plane upgrade on the Deathstar might be done for another month.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3571
RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire - 3/12/2015 3:45:10 PM   
Lowpe

A week or so again we talked about drawing reinforcements into under strength troops in the Marianas...and breaking down the division into thirds has really paid dividends, although there is also a command HQ close, the units are at rest, and there is plentiful supply.

Now to repeat that in Indochina and Moulmien.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/12/2015 10:53:32 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3572
RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire - 3/12/2015 3:51:12 PM   
KenchiSulla

Yes, that is the trick to recovering. Rest, supply, sufficient support and split into thirds..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3573
RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire - 3/13/2015 12:38:20 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 29, 1943

No night bombing.

Bombard Port Blair twice...

Siege mortars and artillery killing off Allied paratroopers on Trinkat.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3574
Invasion Marianas - 3/13/2015 12:39:56 PM   
Lowpe

But the big news, is the Invasion of the Marianas is on!!!

I shall be waiting for NYGiants I told you so!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3575
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/13/2015 2:06:16 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Never!!

Well....maybe?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3576
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/13/2015 2:47:21 PM   
JocMeister

Good luck Lowpe. Make him bleed for them!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3577
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/14/2015 12:23:22 AM   
Lowpe

We shall see where the Allies go for. Pagan is the weakest base, Rota next. Guam, Saipan, and Tinian all have divisions and more than plentiful supply.

I am trying a different defence this turn -- we shall see how it goes.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3578
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/14/2015 12:48:16 AM   
Lowpe

Created 13 midget sub task forces each with one midget and 500 endurance. I then sent them off to 2 hexes back from the Marianas, most within striking distance of Pagan and Saipan. From there they should be able to steam thru 1 deep sea hex before attacking the invasion forces I hope.

I had to create the ships now, because a port with just one point of damage cannot make midgets.

I am expecting shore bombardments of Saipan, and Pagan. Perhaps Tinian, and then heavy air strikes on Tinian and Saipan. We shall see how many planes survive the shore bombardments to contest the air. Maybe Rota too.

I am unsure what the targets are: Pagan (easy base), Rota next easiest, Guam, and Tinian more difficult, with best resistance at Saipan. I re-routed Pagan's CD unit (1 day out) and sent it to Iwo.

The Cent Pac fleet sortied: 1 CV, 2CVE, 2 BB, 4CA, 22 DD. Kaga will join shortly. Hopelessly outnumbered now. They are moving to a position where they can strike at Pagan, but will be able to move elsewhere the following. I am uncertain as to what to commit...I think long slashing destroyer runs might be the most effective, but a lot depends upon the intentions of the Allies.

The Bonins are reconned too for the first time, and that could even be the target as the invasion ships are pretty far to the north. If so that would activate kamikaze in Jan.

This day the defense of the Marianas is all fighters, with bombers and more fighters staging in the wings. I want to whittle down the Deathstar's planes first and 130 Georges, plus Tonies, Oscars and A6M5cs might be able to do it. I hope I didn't screw up with my CAP and LRCAP settings. I am a little worried I don't have enough radar at Tinian...so I substituted a high percentage CAP with 0 range for some of the planes. I am really only defending Saipan and Tinian in the air, and very weakly Pagan and Rota.

We shall see what happens! I have the 16th Division loaded and ready to reinforce if needed.

Personally, I think this attack is very risky for the Allies as there has to be a very long supply line and for now he is dependent upon his air force sticking around. If I can whittle is down, while maintaining my naval strike planes I maybe in good shape.

But then again, I don't think so. I am expecting at a minimum a 4 divison attack (3 Marine Divisions, plus).

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3579
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/14/2015 1:35:20 PM   
Lowpe

Quick update, invasion force closer and heading towards Saipan now.

75 CV planes destroyed, for about 50 of mine, only 1 corsair squadron visible so far.

Allies spot my reaction naval forces, will hang well back and look to whittle more carrier planes this next day.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3580
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/14/2015 11:50:41 PM   
obvert

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3581
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:10:36 PM   
Lowpe

Late October 1943

The night starts off with the Natori doing her job, as long as she doesn't sink.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3582
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:13:30 PM   
Lowpe

We lighten the Deathstar by about 75 planes. I hope to do better today over Tinian, although I suspect my losses will be heavier too.

Corsairs are tough! I suspect he has more Corsairs flying CAP over his deathstar.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3583
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:19:56 PM   
Lowpe

Just simple brute force here.

This will the the third day of operations for the Deathstar, and they will be facing the toughest airfield yet at Tinian. I really hope to have got my altitudes correct for this attack.

I figure I have another day before he lands, and my hope is that this is a one base rushed attack to take opportunity of the KB being in the Andamans.

Rota is the weak leak here, but he may be going for the throat at Guam, or he may breakup and get lots of bases. Don't really know. What will be, will be.

Basically I want to degrade the deathstar, threaten with my surface ships but not engage, and hold on the ground until the KB is back, and I can turn it into a slogging match. Probably won't work, but that is my plan. I can't fight him force to force.

Lots of Iboats moving into position, and 13 midget subs will be two deepwater hexes away from Saipan to Tinian.

The invasion fleet has taken a really circuitous route to get here...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/15/2015 4:20:25 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3584
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:26:10 PM   
Lowpe

IJN surface assets getting into place. Not much really, but If I can time it right to hit him when his forces are depleted or returning for re-arming I might be able to do something.

I will try and get some CL/DD groups between Marcus and Marianas, he seems to have come from the Marianas. I would really like to carrier raid the Marianas and hit his support ships there, but not doable.

Hopefully, this will be a long fight and that my closer supply line and his lack of Corsairs plays to my advantage.

I have protected all my strike planes so far...so I have avoided that first 600 plane disjointed strike with horrendous losses for the Japanese Air Force and instead have a credible threat. Instead, I hope to wear his fighters down, making that attack a little better. Not sure it will work, but so far it is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3585
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:27:52 PM   
Lowpe

Commonwealth divisions moving in here in Burma.

I should be able to hold north of Uttaradit with 2 Divisions plus, but I will lose Chiang Mai. Life as Japan...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3586
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:30:49 PM   
Lowpe

The Haruna bombarded Port Blair again, but no planes damaged despite 100 fighters there.

Allies build a level 1 air field.

Bombarding Cap Nicobar this turn with Musashi. Sending light cruisers and destroyer north to near Tavoy for a run into Port Blair...we will see if they can stay undetected.

Heavy bombing of Bangkok and Moulmien last turn.

The heavy siege mortars is killing off 2-4 squads a turn at Trinkat. Combat squads that is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3587
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:32:23 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I don't think I will do too well depending upon his invasion spot. The best I can hope for is a fight at the long end of the Allied supply line before he is ready.

We shall see if the Allies cooperate.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3588
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:34:47 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Good luck Lowpe. Make him bleed for them!

I hope to!

These kind of attacks are hopefully long and involved and I can hope that he doesn't realize a Divison and level 5 forts are a little different than an Naval Guard atoll invasion.

We shall see.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3589
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:35:46 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Never!!

Well....maybe?

No, go ahead...you have been consistently prescient.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3590
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 3:56:07 PM   
ny59giants

I wonder why he doesn't take some or all four of the smaller northern Marianas Islands?? It would be easy to expand those bases with all the SeaBees he has and allow him to disband a few AEs to allow reloading of his CAs and BBs along with his CVs. I would like to have some LBA to help with the conquest of the larger southern islands.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3591
RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire - 3/15/2015 4:03:24 PM   
ny59giants

P. S. 800 lb gorilla has been found!!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3592
RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire - 3/15/2015 4:26:22 PM   
Lowpe

Forgot to mention from last turn another leaf from the Empire fell...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3593
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 4:32:21 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I wonder why he doesn't take some or all four of the smaller northern Marianas Islands?? It would be easy to expand those bases with all the SeaBees he has and allow him to disband a few AEs to allow reloading of his CAs and BBs along with his CVs. I would like to have some LBA to help with the conquest of the larger southern islands.

I am hoping that he panicked, and saw fresh troops showing up in the Marianas that he has rushed his attack. A slim hope.

Still, nothing is very strong. Guam, Tinian and Saipan have a division plus support units behind lvl 5 forts. And they aren't great divisions at that.

Rota has but 2 Naval Guards, a CD unit, some Eng and only level 3 forts (soon to be 4 if I get a few more days)...it was slated to get a division in about 2 weeks.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3594
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 5:24:37 PM   
JocMeister

Depends on what he brings...the USMC havn´t had their major TOE overhaul yet I think and Shermans should be pretty scarce still. He will probably need 2-3 USMC with lots and lots of support or 3-4 US divisions to get results reasonably fast. Even with that it can take him a couple of weeks. And if you can wrestle sea control for him with troops landed...

If he hasn´t done everything flawlessly you have a very good opportunity to deal a major blow. Personally I think he is too early. At least against a solid well prepared defense. I would wait until he has landed and see what he has brought. If you can hold him for 2-3 weeks I would send in the KB and try to isolate the landing. Probably your last chance to cause him a significant delay before he will simply overwhelm you.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3595
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 5:42:45 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

I am hoping that he panicked, and saw fresh troops showing up in the Marianas that he has rushed his attack. A slim hope.

Still, nothing is very strong. Guam, Tinian and Saipan have a division plus support units behind lvl 5 forts. And they aren't great divisions at that.

Rota has but 2 Naval Guards, a CD unit, some Eng and only level 3 forts (soon to be 4 if I get a few more days)...it was slated to get a division in about 2 weeks.

Your position here is worrisome. At this point, he has enough assault shipping to land 2 divisions plus supporting units. Including USMC... which will make short work of just 1 IJA ID, even behind level 5 forts. He'll be doing you a favor if he comes to Saipan, so I would expect him to move for Tinian or Guam.

Be careful with your TFs there... only 1 CV in that ACTF is asking for trouble. I know you probably didn't have any others around to partner up with it, but I still think it's risky.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3596
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 6:16:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Your position here is worrisome. At this point, he has enough assault shipping to land 2 divisions plus supporting units. Including USMC... which will make short work of just 1 IJA ID, even behind level 5 forts. He'll be doing you a favor if he comes to Saipan, so I would expect him to move for Tinian or Guam.

Be careful with your TFs there... only 1 CV in that ACTF is asking for trouble. I know you probably didn't have any others around to partner up with it, but I still think it's risky.

My position in this game has been worrisome since day 1 of my takeover. Nothing has changed, the Allies are uber aggressive.

I am a little surprised he saw my ships...his recon is especially good. I can't get the same results in Downfall flying from a lot closer with probably more planes.

Hopefully my ships go dark this next day.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3597
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 6:20:17 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Depends on what he brings...the USMC havn´t had their major TOE overhaul yet I think and Shermans should be pretty scarce still. He will probably need 2-3 USMC with lots and lots of support or 3-4 US divisions to get results reasonably fast. Even with that it can take him a couple of weeks. And if you can wrestle sea control for him with troops landed...

If he hasn´t done everything flawlessly you have a very good opportunity to deal a major blow. Personally I think he is too early. At least against a solid well prepared defense. I would wait until he has landed and see what he has brought. If you can hold him for 2-3 weeks I would send in the KB and try to isolate the landing. Probably your last chance to cause him a significant delay before he will simply overwhelm you.

I have felt pretty overwhelmed the whole game...I just want to get to rockets! Is that too much to ask for?

Lets hope you are right and I can isolate the landings...and hold. But I don't think so. I simply don't have any troops.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3598
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 8:57:35 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 30, 1943

Go big, or go home....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3599
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/15/2015 9:01:52 PM   
Lowpe

Hey, Sherlock, it is an invasion!

First real confirmation of invasion ships.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3600
Page:   <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Even more Blood on the water - Andamans Afire Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI