Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! Page: <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/13/2015 9:50:30 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

LST = Landing Ship Tank

Built with flat hull, shallow draft to CARRY tanks and vehicles. Not exactly designed for cutting through the waves.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 5/13/2015 10:50:50 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4381
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 1:43:39 AM   
Lowpe

Ok, you guys done making fun of me?

Who says Japanese intel is worthless?

Too fast for an invasion; too slow for a fast carrier attack, unless he is using cruise.

My glen boat is not detected...I will try to swarm his with subs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 2:45:07 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4382
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 2:07:23 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

Nope!!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4383
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 6:24:49 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Who says Japanese intel is worthless?

Too fast for an invasion; too slow for a fast carrier attack, unless he is using cruise.

My glen boat is not detected...I will try to swarm his with subs.

Too fast for an invasion? Not necessarily. Cruise on AKAs/APAs/APs/AKs is 3 hexes/phase. He might even be pulling 3 hexes/phase from LSTs, which have mission speed of 3...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4384
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 10:19:22 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Too fast for an invasion? Not necessarily. Cruise on AKAs/APAs/APs/AKs is 3 hexes/phase. He might even be pulling 3 hexes/phase from LSTs, which have mission speed of 3...

Harsh, bitter experience has taught me to assume it is always an invasion.

It wouldn't surprise me if he is going for the Bonins. Not one bit.

The HI are on high alert. Two out of three of the Bonins are at stacking limits with c800AV, ART, even some tanks. CD guns, etc.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 11:20:01 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4385
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 10:53:05 AM   
chriscollins

Considering your opponents continual aggression in this game I would think your taking of Chunking is forcing his hand (in his mind at least). He probably wants to get on the Bonins in some manner before the 5k av gets redistributed.

I wonder if this means they're not fully prepped.. could be an opportunity to sting him.

Does taking any one of the Bonins open up kami's now its 44? Don't have my manual to hand to check as that could open an opportunity for you if it is a "snap" (not fully prepped) invasion.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4386
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 11:22:39 AM   
obvert

Did your I-boat get a 10/10 DL

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to chriscollins)
Post #: 4387
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 11:39:32 AM   
Lowpe

The Bonins.

You can see the Mavis search pattern...IJN carriers will try to sneak behind his line of advance. I still think it is either a raid (most likely) or in response to my carrier raid on Marcus. It moves faster than his other invasions...not to say a slower invasion fleet is a few hexes behind.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 12:48:15 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4388
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 11:41:24 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Good question, and the answer is yes.

I take it you are still waiting for your Elephant turn.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 12:44:37 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4389
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 11:42:24 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: chriscollins

Considering your opponents continual aggression in this game I would think your taking of Chunking is forcing his hand (in his mind at least). He probably wants to get on the Bonins in some manner before the 5k av gets redistributed.

I wonder if this means they're not fully prepped.. could be an opportunity to sting him.

Does taking any one of the Bonins open up kami's now its 44? Don't have my manual to hand to check as that could open an opportunity for you if it is a "snap" (not fully prepped) invasion.

He has to take a base, any of the Bonins will activate kamikazes.

Hopefully you are right.

(in reply to chriscollins)
Post #: 4390
Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 12:55:35 PM   
Lowpe

Those crazy Empire engineers have been at it again, being rushed off the docks (she really needed 10 more days) is the latest dream child of those thick glassed near sighted slide rule scientists.

Who in the world would have thought of doing this to the once graceful, majestic Hyuga! It is whispered that more one metal worker had to be shot before work would begin on this, this....ship. Whatever she is now.

Much of the crew has been replaced or retrained to handle the float fighters. While the remaining ran riot in Shanghai. Shanghai is actually glad to see the ship go...with her privately very unhappy crew.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 2:04:54 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4391
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 1:00:02 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Alas, yes. It's been almost 2 days since I sent the turn, and about 29 hours since the revised replay including combat animations and reports was sent.

I can't really worry about it as we've had a long history of sporadic pay, and no apologies when we need extra time for personal or game reasons. I kind of like that, although I am still impatient. He's been a great opponent to play and very easy to communicate with throughout.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4392
RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! - 5/14/2015 1:02:02 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alas, yes. It's been almost 2 days since I sent the turn, and about 29 hours since the revised replay including combat animations and reports was sent.

I can't really worry about it as we've had a long history of sporadic pay, and no apologies when we need extra time for personal or game reasons. I kind of like that, although I am still impatient. He's been a great opponent to play and very easy to communicate with throughout.

Nothing better than being blessed with that kind of opponent.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4393
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 1:08:27 PM   
obvert

quote:

Those crazy Empire engineers have been at it again, being rushed off the docks (she really needed 10 more days) is the latest dream child of those thick glassed near sighted slide rule scientists.

Who in the world would have thought of doing this to the once graceful, majestic Hyuga! It is whispered that more one metal worker had to be shot before work would begin on this, this....ship. Whatever she is now.

Much of the crew has been replaced or retrained to handle the float fighters. While the remaining ran riot in Shanghai. Shanghai is actually glade to see the ship go...with her privately very unhappy crew.

Not sure if you can do that even when it says it's only system damage. I think wen I've tried to move out early it won't let me as upgrades/conversions are different than normal damage.

This conversion is a weird one for sure. I think I did one of these accidently and it takes DBs after that, not FP. And they need to land at an airbase after the turn because they can't land back on the BB hybrid monster.

quote:

You can see the Mavis search pattern...IJN carriers will try to sneak behind his line of advance. I still think it is either a raid (most likely) or in response to my carrier raid on Marcus. It moves faster than his other invasions...not to say a slower invasion fleet is a few hexes behind.

Can you buy out and air lift another regiment or brigade from the HI to Chichi? It is much more useful to him than Haha Jma if he's really going there, and since all of these make him shock, anything there is worth 2-3x it's AV with decent forts.

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/14/2015 2:12:02 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4394
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 1:23:10 PM   
ny59giants

Any ship in for upgrades and/or conversion CANNOT leave early. Sorry, but the people of Shanghai will suffer for another week. Hyuga will provide very good NavS.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4395
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 1:47:44 PM   
obvert

quote:

Any ship in for upgrades and/or conversion CANNOT leave early. Sorry, but the people of Shanghai will suffer for another week. Hyuga will provide very good NavS.

Am I wrong that it operates DBs? And maybe Pauls (E16A)? Most DB groups can upgrade to the Paul. The D4Y or other non-float would be launch and ditch if out of range of land bases, right?

As modified, Ise could carry 22 aircraft. The operational concept envisioned Ise accompanying the Kido Butai (Carrier Strike Force), and launching its 11 Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei ("Judy") dive bombers and 11 Aichi E16A Zuiun ("Paul") seaplanes that are capable of diving attacks to add another 44 bombers to the Strike Force. The Suisei had to land either on a conventional carrier or on land bases, whereas the E16A could be hoisted back aboard after landing near the ship by using a crane. Ise‍ '​s final aircraft allowance called for 14 E16As and eight D4Y2s.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4396
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 2:06:36 PM   
Lowpe

You guys lack faith!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4397
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 2:08:20 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Am I wrong that it operates DBs? And maybe Pauls (E16A)? Most DB groups can upgrade to the Paul. The D4Y or other non-float would be launch and ditch if out of range of land bases, right?

As modified, Ise could carry 22 aircraft. The operational concept envisioned Ise accompanying the Kido Butai (Carrier Strike Force), and launching its 11 Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei ("Judy") dive bombers and 11 Aichi E16A Zuiun ("Paul") seaplanes that are capable of diving attacks to add another 44 bombers to the Strike Force. The Suisei had to land either on a conventional carrier or on land bases, whereas the E16A could be hoisted back aboard after landing near the ship by using a crane. Ise‍ '​s final aircraft allowance called for 14 E16As and eight D4Y2s.

Absolutely no clue! I guess I will find out!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4398
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 2:11:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Can you buy out and air lift another regiment or brigade from the HI to Chichi? It is much more useful to him than Haha Jma if he's really going there, and since all of these make him shock, anything there is worth 2-3x it's AV with decent forts.

On the job here...debating about making last minute ship runs in too. Thanks for the reminder.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4399
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 3:36:47 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

You guys lack faith!

Yeah, just because she still has System damage doesn't mean the upgrade has finished... I frequently have ships in ports that are barely big enough finish upgrading without it repairing the Sys damage completely. Especially if it's a busy port.

In any case, I think you're lucky here if he's going for the Bonins. Can you place tabs on all the USMC divisions? Without at least one of those landing, I don't think he can take one at this date. Chichi-jima maybe, but what are the odds he goes for that one first? The other two look good.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4400
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 7:16:17 PM   
Lowpe

The weak sister...

I figure I have several days here & I should be able to fly in 220 AV. Given a little more time I have a choice of more Infantry Brigades or Artillery.

There is one 20cm CD gun here...I am moving a few more troops over to support it from Haha where the bulk of the unit is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4401
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 7:25:49 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Can you place tabs on all the USMC divisions? Without at least one of those landing, I don't think he can take one at this date. Chichi-jima maybe, but what are the odds he goes for that one first? The other two look good.

I believe I know where two maybe three are. The 4th is in Indochina, and parts of another are there too.

Another is in the Marianas...

I am pretty sure I will be fighting one...plus tanks, etc (could be the one from the Marianas). He seems to plan out the invasion pretty well.

If he stays true to form....the deathstar races in with airfield attacks and one sweep to neutralize the airfields, the invasion force plods along, then the carriers move forward to protect the landings, while the invasion force splits and goes to their respective targets.

Oh, and he likes to hang around the invasion beaches for a long time.
He didn't race in and try to close the airfields with surface bombardments.

I plan on confronting the invasion, should it come with everything at my disposal.

Get the idea?

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 8:28:39 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4402
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 7:54:46 PM   
Lowpe

Here is Iwo Jima....

That is a crack, high experience, IJA 43 squad division. First time he will run into one on his island attacks should he come here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4403
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 8:23:39 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Here is Iwo Jima....

That is a crack, high experience, IJA 43 squad division. First time he will run into one on his island attacks should he come here.

Sounds like you've found a use for those SSTs you inherited!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4404
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 8:56:29 PM   
obvert

My question is why do you have 900AV on Haha Jima? I wouldn't take that island if it had 60 AV on it! Not worth it. Move all of those to Chichi-Jima.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4405
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 9:30:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

My question is why do you have 900AV on Haha Jima? I wouldn't take that island if it had 60 AV on it! Not worth it. Move all of those to Chichi-Jima.

Here is why...General Denfence. I can buy out and move the combat engineers. I was thinking about doing it...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2015 10:31:01 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4406
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 9:35:24 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Here is why...General Denfence. I can buy out and move the combat engineers. I was thinking about doing it...

you could also buy Chichi-Jima and send troops there that are restricted!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4407
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 9:55:00 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

you could also buy Chichi-Jima and send troops there that are restricted!

Well, at the time it was something I never did before and I simply chose Haha without thinking it thru.

I bought out he combat engineers and one trip with barges will move all of them.

If he invades Haha, I am coming for you!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4408
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 10:00:51 PM   
Lowpe

If it is an invasion, I will probably have one or two more days before the deathstar shows up, and five or more before the invasion fleet. Emily Ls can move a tons of troops...they are so darn impressive.

I will be flying in troops, removing some from Iwo, making a few supply runs if time is willing.

Fighters in place. Subs moving on the invasion fleet. Midgets and MTBS stand ready to be activated.

The Bonins are fairly hard to protect without the KB, since it is so far from supporting airbases. Still, he should have gone for them right after the Tinian invasion as only Haha was in decent shape and I had a scarcity of ground troops.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4409
RE: Unorthodox - 5/14/2015 11:48:10 PM   
chriscollins

Surely though its a good location to host tf's to run in from the midway point between the HI and the bonins? - well out of his recon, for the final sprint in?

I'm just thinking of Obvert's last few turns in his current updated AAR where a bit of patience and nous payed off, slightly different situation and location but the principal is there.

Kitchen Sink time :) (maybe)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4410
Page:   <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bolts, Cats and Spits, Oh My! Page: <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI