Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Custom changes to your counter mix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Custom changes to your counter mix Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/12/2014 2:13:36 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

I actually like the Roquefort colour for the French - and the other new "soft cheese" colour for the italians.
The mud for the Ruski's is a bit too much towards the Olive drab of the yankees, I'm afraid. How about the colour of the Norwegian peanut cheese for them? You could than call this chapter " the cheeses".

I'll call the next set, 4 cheese major powers.

The USSR has room to lighten up. I'll get them and the the Germans side by side to get some feed back on how they look.

The Roquefort French and Creamy Italian might have to be looked at as a combination. I thought they might be too similar. But really they are not. Thanks for the cheese.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 91
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/12/2014 2:26:28 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: markb50k

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Changed up the Italians and French. Also added a screen of Germany.
I'll play with these colors for a week or so and give time for more suggestions before any changes to the aircraft and ships.

Commence firing!

Really like those choices

Could you show Germany next to USA? How would it look during a battle of the bulge?

Edit: on further review either of your French schemes would work IMO. The both have their good points. REALLY like the Italian cream choice

Do you just use a simple ms paint application to do the planes and ships?

Thanks for the suggestion of colors for Italy. Putting Italy and French Roquefort should be looked at also. To see how they pair up.

Thats another combo i'll put side by side. German and USA.

I use Paint.net and ms paint. They both work for me.

One thing learned. Never try and change a color on page 22 bitmap. Cut it out first. Then change the color and do details. Paste it back. Otherwise you can get all the shades of one color to change. Even if you meant to only change 1 counter.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 92
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/12/2014 3:05:39 PM   
Centuur

I would like it if the KiF set will stay apart from the minors. I can't use the Dutch minors the way they are now. Portugal has the same color as the Dutch for me now. It's what has to be expected, since the colors used are in the ranges which are dangerous for some of the colorblind.

Peter

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 93
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/12/2014 3:41:41 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I would like it if the KiF set will stay apart from the minors. I can't use the Dutch minors the way they are now. Portugal has the same color as the Dutch for me now. It's what has to be expected, since the colors used are in the ranges which are dangerous for some of the colorblind.

Centuur, you are using the classic MWif, not Kif?

If that is true.
Which Minors would you like to have? Its not so hard for me to customize a set just for you.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 94
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/12/2014 7:11:52 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

Centuur, you are using the classic MWif, not Kif?

If that is true.
Which Minors would you like to have? Its not so hard for me to customize a set just for you.

To be honest, the guys who decided on which color to be used for which minor country really did a great job. There are only a very few counters which I have problems with, if I compare them with other countries. They made the colours with the colorblind in their minds. And I did try using KiF for a very short time, but decided I like the blue better. I started to "forget" units in clear hexes.
After that, I decided to go back to the blue of the CW. I think that is the best thing anyone being colorblind should do, I'm afraid...
But I like the khaki. Perhaps because it is also been made by ADG for the boardgame...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 4/12/2014 8:13:54 PM >

Peter

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 95
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/12/2014 10:54:42 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

To be honest, the guys who decided on which color to be used for which minor country really did a great job. There are only a very few counters which I have problems with, if I compare them with other countries. They made the colours with the colorblind in their minds. And I did try using KiF for a very short time, but decided I like the blue better. I started to "forget" units in clear hexes.
After that, I decided to go back to the blue of the CW. I think that is the best thing anyone being colorblind should do, I'm afraid...
But I like the khaki. Perhaps because it is also been made by ADG for the boardgame...

Give me a few days and i'll have a set with Spain, Portugal and Netherlands mated with the original MWiF colors.
Colors choices were Lex for Dutch, Warspite1 for Portugal and Victor for Spain.

I was just the hand puppet with time.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 96
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 12:23:48 AM   
WarHunter

Here is the latest cheese combo being looked at.
Roquefort French and Creamy Italian.
Comments welcome.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 97
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 12:25:09 AM   
WarHunter

To round out the last 2 cheeses.
Germany and USSR with the USA added for comparison.

Comments welcome.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 98
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 1:50:50 AM   
markb50k

Impressive all around

Anyway you could send the color codes you are using for this. Want to see how it looks in game in a map
Post #: 99
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 5:53:59 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

Here is the latest cheese combo being looked at.
Roquefort French and Creamy Italian.
Comments welcome.

i really like these new colours for the French and Italians.

The Germans look good as well, but I am hesitant on the Soviets. They are better than before however.

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 4/14/2014 9:22:26 PM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 100
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 5:56:13 AM   
AxelNL

how about giving the Germans a lighter Nato box filling? Same as the ART perhaps?

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 101
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 7:01:05 PM   
paulderynck

I like all these colors and personally, I like the SS staying black. What is a problem for me with the Germans and the USA is telling white print from black print units.

Edit: Can't say I care much for the names on the units instead of arabic or roman numbers.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 4/14/2014 8:03:03 PM >

Paul

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 102
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 9:21:47 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

Impressive all around

Anyway you could send the color codes you are using for this. Want to see how it looks in game in a map

If i gave the codes, your ships and planes would be funky looking. I'll throw up a screen to show ya.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 103
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 9:25:15 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: csiemers

quote:

To round out the last 2 cheeses.
Germany and USSR with the USA added for comparison.

Comments welcome.

I really like them!
However, any reason we have to keep the SS black? Why not have them the German color and maybe a small SS rune in the symbol for the unit?

changing the color would not be hard. But, the SS have their own division breakdowns. The only place to place a rune would be where the name is on the left side.

The actual infantry, armor symbol is shared by all nations. I toyed with the idea of icons, but canned that pretty fast. A tiger tank replacement for the armor symbol would be for everyone. That is just wrong.

Marcus Luttrell
Post #: 104
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 9:30:59 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I like all these colors and personally, I like the SS staying black. What is a problem for me with the Germans and the USA is telling white print from black print units.

Edit: Can't say I care much for the names on the units instead of arabic or roman numbers.

Just concentrate on the White NATO symbol. It never changes for elite units. ITs something that i realized early on and just used it as the foundation.

Lucky for me, the naming mod is separate from the color mod. Using my fully modded game as one of the test installs lets me share the naming mod.

Just wait til i get the aircraft renaming mod done.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 105
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 9:32:32 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

how about giving the Germans a lighter Nato box filling? Same as the ART perhaps?

Not sure what Russians like a cheese, but i gave them a lighter version. And for the Germans a muenster cheese.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 106
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/14/2014 9:37:27 PM   
WarHunter

Here is an example of what you can get for some nations. Its why i dont proceed until i know what colors are liked.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 107
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/16/2014 11:22:21 AM   
markb50k

Thank you Warhunter for the inspiration. I've been fooling around with this and wanted to show you some options for you to consider.

For the US, I changed the color of the combat factors to help differentiate between white print and normal

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 108
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/16/2014 11:23:25 AM   
markb50k

New French setup. wanted something a little stronger for the blue background and your NATO symbol was a bit hard to see

Just an idea

Attachment (1)

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 109
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/16/2014 11:24:21 AM   
markb50k

Finally, for the Italians decided to keep to the green motif they had but a little dirtier than the original lime green. I like this one the best.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 110
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/16/2014 2:26:40 PM   
AxelNL

Pretty good as well! Although the Italian 75mm AT & AA guns look like they could perform in the Pink ****cat club with that colour combination
The French is particular nice. Although the Roquefort was artisticly nicer, the baby blue is perhaps better on the board.

We are coming into the realm of personal preference. Giving the right colour codes for the counters is easy. Given all the permutations possible we will run into the wall of having to change the ships and planes in every combination. How that will end will be interesting. This thread gives a lot of inspiration, that is for sure.

Edit: I see this forum has a censor engine preventing to show names of the feline persuasion. The club I mention is from the discworld series from Terry Pratchet - so nobody should take offense here.

< Message edited by AxelNL -- 4/16/2014 3:29:18 PM >

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 111
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/16/2014 2:31:29 PM   
markb50k

yeah, since I only use the medium resolution unit icons in my game, its easier for me personally to implement these changes (in fact, already did, including Warhunter's USSR and Germany schemes). Much less files to change.

I'm tweaking the green combat factor color on the US again. It shows really bright on my other computer (I keep my laptop very dim and it didnt look bad there)

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 112
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/17/2014 8:52:38 AM   
WarHunter

quote:

yeah, since I only use the medium resolution unit icons in my game, its easier for me personally to implement these changes (in fact, already did, including Warhunter's USSR and Germany schemes). Much less files to change.

I'm tweaking the green combat factor color on the US again. It shows really bright on my other computer (I keep my laptop very dim and it didnt look bad there)

Nice colors.

I agree about how each monitor setting can affect how bright or dark the counters can look. With all the ideas we have been floating its easy to see more than a few "color mods" created for anyone's taste. Just takes time for the ships and planes once the colors are chosen.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 113
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/17/2014 6:09:33 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

quote:

Nice colors.

I agree about how each monitor setting can affect how bright or dark the counters can look. With all the ideas we have been floating its easy to see more than a few "color mods" created for anyone's taste. Just takes time for the ships and planes once the colors are chosen.

Dabrion posted a rather cryptic description on how to do the ships and planes faster in the thread Graphics Help, I remember. What he described was beyond me, however.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 114
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 4/17/2014 8:25:37 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

Dabrion posted a rather cryptic description on how to do the ships and planes faster in the thread Graphics Help, I remember. What he described was beyond me, however.

I actually understood his cryptic description. Probably because i knew next to nothing about paint programs. Once the "magic wand" was revealed to me. Ship and planes were made easier and also harder. Colors that are similar can be painted over if you are not careful. Which is easy to do and hard to spot in the details.

Now i just cut out whole sections and recolor them so as not to disrupt the "camo" on the planes and ships of other nations.

I plan on using the two light color off whites for Italy and France. The gold on white appeals to me for France. Italy stands out in the axis counter mix. USSR looks better with the lighter shade of brown. Germany looks good in original feldgrau.

Axis, Green, Red, Cream.
Allies, OD green, Khaki, Brown, Yellow, off white/blue.

So far no real issues on either monitor. Other than getting use to the color schemes.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 115
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/1/2014 4:21:18 AM   
WarHunter

I was kinda bummed how the German counters looked. So i did some surgery and came up with this. I find it more readable and better looking overall.

Like to see what others think.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 116
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/1/2014 4:47:01 AM   
WarHunter

Here are the Italians. Still have some ships and planes to do some detail on.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 117
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/1/2014 4:47:31 AM   
WarHunter

France also.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 118
RE: Custom changes to your counter mix - 5/1/2014 4:27:32 PM   
AxelNL

don't know about the german colour, but I like the cheeses!

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 119
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Custom changes to your counter mix Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI