Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/2/2003 10:56:10 AM   
dlazov

David boutwell wrote:

[QUOTE]I added "bayonet" to my units several days ago[/QUOTE]

David, when you say you added in the bayonet did you mean via the OOB or just the icon? I am researching a lot of WW1 lately and am in process of modding my own SPWW1. Just curious.

DGL

An army of rabbits led by a lion, will beat an army of lions, led by a Rabbit. Napoleon

(in reply to David boutwell)
Post #: 31
- 3/4/2003 11:44:53 AM   
David boutwell

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlazov
[B]David boutwell wrote:

David, when you say you added in the bayonet did you mean via the OOB or just the icon? I am researching a lot of WW1 lately and am in process of modding my own SPWW1. Just curious. [/B][/QUOTE]

dlazov,

I added bayonet as a weapon in the OoB files. Bayonet is in the second slot of the weapons data, behind the main infantry weapon. I have not included "pistol", which would have been carried by higher ranking officers in a company, but that's about it. I figure that the offensive firepower of these few weapons is insignificant, and they probably would not have even been used in an offensive manner (defensively at close range, sure, but in the big scope of things, should that be accounted for!?) It sounds kinf of dumb to listen to a volley at close range and then have the pistol .wav file after that. It was more annoying than necessary....

Regards,

David Boutwell

Post #: 32
- 3/4/2003 11:18:34 PM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David boutwell
[B]Harry,

No Way!! My Market Garden maps and books still clutter my office desk. I did, however need a break from WWII for a while, for reasons that I've harped on on numerous occasions.

This project allows me kind of take a journey back in time to the old days of SP1, when a lot of people in the community were pioneering new things in the game. It also allows me to focus my attention on doing some things that I really like to do.
1. Research 2. Icon design 3. OoB modification And, now, there are many more available tools than back in the old days, and I am much more knowledgeable about how to use them.

It has gotten to the point with SPWAW where I feel like I'm just working on projects for myself anyway. My philosophy about the game has put me on the fringe of the community, and therefore, I often am of the mindset that it doesn't really matter when I finish the Market Garden campaign. If I am doing it for myself only, there is no pressure to complete it any faster than I am comfortable with.

I kind of got wrapped up in the "competition hype" in the community, as well as trying to get my material out in front of every new guy that came into the community claiming to be this or that. I just needed a beak from all of that junk. So, when I have dt'd a bit, I will get back to the WWII projects. Not to worry. I still have lots of things to finish in the MG area.

Thanks for asking! You have definitely been instrumental in my learning to do a lot of the editing stuff that I am now using on SPCW.

Regards,

David Boutwell [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks David! good to know Market Garden is not dead!:) Sidestepping to other new projects at times is a great refresher for creativity, I know that. Looking forward to anything you´re working on David! :cool:

good luck with SPCW :)

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 33
- 3/8/2003 12:40:02 PM   
David boutwell

Gentlemen,

Here are two screenshots of some new terrain icons. The first is in response to a request for cotton fields. These will come in handy for scenarios in Missouri and the deep south (ie: Sherman's march through Georgia and the Vicksburg campaign battles). However, don't expect to see them in any of the Northern VA battles. Very little, if any cotton was grown this far north. And you sure won't see them in Gettysburg and Anteitam scenarios! The next screenshot is of some of the new boulder icons that I have created. Compare the new boulder icons in the middle to the old ones along the top row of boulders!! :) Just imagine troops fighting in amongst these in a Devil's Den scenario!

Regards,

David Boutwell

Post #: 34
- 3/8/2003 12:41:27 PM   
David boutwell

Here's the boulders screenshot.

Enjoy,

David Boutwell

Post #: 35
- 3/8/2003 10:01:10 PM   
pops

FANTASTIC work!
I'm really admiring and looking forward to your work here!

Post #: 36
- 3/8/2003 10:40:04 PM   
sami heimola

Great stuff David:D. Keep up a good work. How about doing some co-operation with Warhorse? Or are you going to handle everything alone;)?

Sami

Post #: 37
- 3/9/2003 10:14:06 PM   
David boutwell

Thanks, Pops. It's really not as hard as it might seem, once you survive the learning curve.

Sami, I'm glad to finally know that you've seen what I've been doing with your mod. lately, and to know that I have your "blessing" on the work thus far. I hope that I gave you plenty of credit for your previous work. I would not have been as vocal on the shortcoming of the previous mod. if you had not identified them yourself, and stated that you hoped that someone would pick up where your group left off.

I think Warhorse has other "fish to fry". I really prefer to work on this alone, at this point. However, as I get further along on this project, and start working on fine-tuning things, and run into road-blocks, if anyone has any expertise in areas that I am having trouble with, I will not hesitate to seek their technical advice. I'm still waiting on people with those people to offer any assistance, though....

Hopefully, working alone will stream-line the process of constructing this mod., and avoid any pitfalls related to this that apparently hampered your group.

much more to come.

Regards,

David Boutwell

Post #: 38
- 3/10/2003 12:47:22 PM   
sami heimola

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David boutwell
[B]Thanks, Pops. It's really not as hard as it might seem, once you survive the learning curve.

Sami, I'm glad to finally know that you've seen what I've been doing with your mod. lately, and to know that I have your "blessing" on the work thus far. I hope that I gave you plenty of credit for your previous work. I would not have been as vocal on the shortcoming of the previous mod. if you had not identified them yourself, and stated that you hoped that someone would pick up where your group left off.

Nice to hear. Of course you get my "blessing" for own full mod. Alpha version was meant to anybody who likes to make it complete:p. I really appreciate your dedication.

I think Warhorse has other "fish to fry". I really prefer to work on this alone, at this point. However, as I get further along on this project, and start working on fine-tuning things, and run into road-blocks, if anyone has any expertise in areas that I am having trouble with, I will not hesitate to seek their technical advice. I'm still waiting on people with those people to offer any assistance, though....

OK. I understand your point. But isn't it easier and faster to advance from one thing to other? I mean if Warhorse could concentrate into menus (as he seems to do right now) and you into other stuff? This is just a proposal;)...

Hopefully, working alone will stream-line the process of constructing this mod., and avoid any pitfalls related to this that apparently hampered your group.

Yes this is true. But I was "forced" to accept every kind of help/helpers who I was ever willing to help me (if I would have any artistic "eye" and skills for editing all needed stuff, whole mod could been already ready ;)) ... That's why there were "too many opinions" from everybody about final form of mod (for example no "generic" OOBs and so on...). Hopefully your progress will be more easier (alone or not).

much more to come.

Regards,

David Boutwell [/B][/QUOTE]

Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI