Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:20:28 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael
3) When preparing to launch deliberate attack cursor icon should indicate if there are units in the target hex in "hold at all cost" stance, to warn attacking player that he will perform an "all-out assault".

I wouldn't want this part of it. I don't see why an attacker should have knowledge of the defender's stance. Far too helpful and unrealistic. I'd rather that if you make a deliberate attack it's a chance you take.
As always with these things leader quality and personality type should have a strong influence on casualties and stances.

+1
quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab My preference would be that some leaders are simply incapable of selecting certain stances.
Can you elaborate that?

< Message edited by Mehring -- 1/8/2016 3:22:47 PM >

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 271
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:23:09 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

Without teaching the AI when and how to use it (that's the hard part), I would imagine that it could work like this:

1) Every unit should have defensive stance attribute, that tells what tactics it will use when attacked:
- withdraw: unit falls back as soon as attacked (apply 80-90% reduction to firefight and post-combat losses; retreat regardless of final CV ratio; massively reduce chance to rout or shatter)
- delay (apply 50-70% reduction to firefight and post-combat losses; retreat at 1:1 final CV ratio; reduce chance to rout or shatter)
- hold (normal combat, just like now)
- hold at all cost (apply retreat-like post-combat losses to both sides; never retreat; slightly increase chance to rout or shatter - that's the only way possible to vacate the target hex after combat)
2) In case of units with different stances, use the strongest form of defense.
3) When preparing to launch deliberate attack cursor icon should indicate if there are units in the target hex in "hold at all cost" stance, to warn attacking player that he will perform an "all-out assault".
4) For user-friendliness, it should be possible to alter this for all units under single HQ in one go, just like you can turn refit on or off. Also, in Commander's Report.

In an ideal world this is true and you know better than many the constraints both of the code and development resources(and I did get that extra ticket).

I think that delay and withdraw are the same thing. Doctrinally a delay is an operation where a force trades space for time in order to maintain combat power. I'm also wondering whether static should become hold at all costs and the demotorising aspects are moved alongside the motorising bit. Whilst combat stances are in discussion Refit needs to become a logistics function and not a combat stance unless refit reduces CV. At the moment refit is too much have your cake and eat it for me.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 272
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:26:42 PM   
timmyab

quote:

It would be possible to make leader morale rolls for hold at all cost stance, and to make leader initiative rolls for withdraw/delay stances, and convert them to hold if failed.

That would be fine I guess. I was thinking more that leaders should directly affect casualty numbers in whatever stance they're in. Ideally I'd have a combination of unit experience, unit morale, unit stance and leader ratings affecting casualty numbers. Poorly led Soviet units in 41/42 would then have higher casualty rates as they should.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 273
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:26:56 PM   
KWG

quote:

My understanding of hasty and deliberate attacks are, respectively, those carried out by an advanced guard and those which involve deployment of a larger portion of the unit in question

Ive thought of them as being:

hasty - off the cuff, quick attack

deliberate - preplanned, coordinated attack

both using as much of the attacking force as possible.

Some way of having opposing adjacent units "Locked in combat" (higher attrition rates) therefore causing extra movement points to disengage and move.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/8/2016 4:01:42 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 274
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:29:19 PM   
morvael

Like I said, it's only a simplification for playability purposes and can be even explained by effects of scale. I agree that hasty/deliberate represent something other than stance, just like you said. I would offer the following attacking stances:
a) probe
b) normal attack
c) all-out assault
These could be connected with hasty/deliberate as normal. You can imagine aggressive German tactics of motorized trops being all-out assault in hasty mode, maximizing speed at the cost of higher casualties (unsustainable against determined defense, but good when pursuing an enemy. Deliberate probes would be meek Montgomery's tactics, aimed at conserving manpower at all cost.

And as before:
probe would reduce attacker's firepower and attacker's and defender's post-combat losses, and would require a 3:1 ratio to capture hex
all-out assault would increase attacker's and defender's post-combat lossesand would require a 1.5:1 ratio to capture hex (unless trumped by all-out defense)

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 275
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:30:56 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

quote:

My understanding of hasty and deliberate attacks are, respectively, those carried out by an advanced guard and those which involve deployment of a larger portion of the unit in question

The MP expenditure is important here. Advancing units will not deploy if possible as it takes time to do so and then re-form. Usually, a division will advance in echelon with only the advanced elements engaging the enemy. Only when significant resistance is spotted or encountered will a decision be made to deploy second echelon units to provide muscle to an attack.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 276
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:36:59 PM   
KWG

Would be great to mouse over a enemy unit and see a version the enemies' equipment per recon, fog of war.

There could be tigers and t34s everywhere or no where...until!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/8/2016 4:48:29 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 277
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:38:48 PM   
Mehring

quote:

Like I said, it's only a simplification for playability purposes and can be even explained by effects of scale. I agree that hasty/deliberate represent something other than stance, just like you said. I would offer the following attacking stances:
a) probe
b) normal attack
c) all-out assault
These could be connected with hasty/deliberate as normal. You can imagine aggressive German tactics of motorized trops being all-out assault in hasty mode, maximizing speed at the cost of higher casualties (unsustainable against determined defense, but good when pursuing an enemy. Deliberate probes would be meek Montgomery's tactics, aimed at conserving manpower at all cost.

And as before:
probe would reduce attacker's firepower and attacker's and defender's post-combat losses, and would require a 3:1 ratio to capture hex
all-out assault would increase attacker's and defender's post-combat lossesand would require a 1.5:1 ratio to capture hex (unless trumped by all-out defense)

That raises the issue of national characteristics/doctrine. I was thinking on this with regard to British early war doctrine in the Western Dessert. The British doctrine stipulated that armour would withdraw into a "night laager" regardless of whether or not it had won or lost the day's battle. The DAK would then go out and recover their disabled vehicles and demolish those of the Commonwealth. Demands a higher vehicle non-recovery rate for the Commonwealth.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 278
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:39:39 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer
(and I did get that extra ticket)

People, keep your fingers crossed now

quote:

I think that delay and withdraw are the same thing. Doctrinally a delay is an operation where a force trades space for time in order to maintain combat power. I'm also wondering whether static should become hold at all costs and the demotorising aspects are moved alongside the motorising bit. Whilst combat stances are in discussion Refit needs to become a logistics function and not a combat stance unless refit reduces CV. At the moment refit is too much have your cake and eat it for me.

I think the difference is that withdrawing begins as soon as the enemy is seen approaching. In delay you want to trade space for time, and accepts some light casualties as a result. But I don't know if any military uses the first tactic (keep your position, unless enemy appears on the horizon).

Theoretically German units at Stalingrad were in static mode, all horses were sent as far back as Rostov, to conserve "freight" space for fodder. At the same time they were attacking. So one has to reconsider also what static means. Correct term would be demotorization (and dehorsing?), imobbilizing them (unless they want to lose their artillery) but being able to fight on foot.

Yes, I think refit is too good. Should be reduced to units resting far away from the front. And really far away (20+) because of IGoYouGo side effects that we observed in WitE (withdrawing side suffers, pursuer benefits because he starts turn without contact, leading to snowballing effect on strength).

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 279
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:42:03 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

quote:

quote:

The MP expenditure is important here. Advancing units will not deploy if possible as it takes time to do so and then re-form. Usually, a division will advance in echelon with only the advanced elements engaging the enemy. Only when significant resistance is spotted or encountered will a decision be made to deploy second echelon units to provide muscle to an attack.

more precisely
both having at their command as much of the attacking force as possible.

True what you say, yet when viewing my hasty attacks its with more than just a advance guard of the unit

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 280
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:44:55 PM   
KWG

quote:

Theoretically German units at Stalingrad were in static mode, all horses were sent as far back as Rostov, to conserve "freight" space for fodder. At the same time they were attacking. So one has to reconsider also what static means. Correct term would be demotorization (and dehorsing?), imobbilizing them (unless they want to lose their artillery) but being able to fight on foot.

Then what was it they dug up and made soup of the bones

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 281
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:47:43 PM   
morvael

I was talking about the period when they still weren't cut off, but were trying to capture the city, while theoretically static (one of the reasons it was hard to give order to retreat once Uranus started - all artillery would be lost).

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 282
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:52:53 PM   
KWG

quote:

I was talking about the period when they still weren't cut off, but were trying to capture the city, while theoretically static (one of the reasons it was hard to give order to retreat once Uranus started - all artillery would be lost).

I was being humorous They ate quite a VARIETY of things.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/8/2016 3:55:50 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 283
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 2:57:57 PM   
KWG

How does- would- the Battle of Stalingrad play out in game terms?

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 284
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:09:23 PM   
chaos45

It Doesnt. Either Germans surround a city and then take it by storm with little to no losses- or its stormed in a 1 week assault again with light losses. Is why the game is a complete failure for simulating city fights.

Even the the only stance offered to defenders was hold at all costs would be good IMO. Keep combat as it is now, and add a hold at all cost order.

You could even make hold at all costs orders/stance cost AP to keep players from doing it to every unit in their army.

The key thing would be hold at all costs should be make deliberate assaults against the location much more costly for both sides since neither wants to give up.

Static mode may be a good simulation of this---just make it affect the combat results as well. Kind of hard to retreat with no motorization and only enough horses to move supplies.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 285
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:12:43 PM   
KWG

quote:

You could even make hold at all costs orders/stance cost AP to keep players from doing it to every unit in their army.

Or they hold till morale breaks or forced out.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 286
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:13:34 PM   
morvael

Like in history. As long as there is no opportunity to encircle the place (and the Germans were in no position to do it, being overstretched) it's only about the willingness to trade blows and throw more bodies to the furnace (and Soviets excelled at this, Germans had no resources).

Obviously my design is rough and could be refined to allow all-out defense to stay in place unless overwhelmed with a 5:1 ratio or left without forts at the end of combat. Anyway, this should mainly depend on ability to suffer losses and replenish them. Battle of materiel is what it was, and these have different rules than battles of maneuver.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 287
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:17:07 PM   
morvael

quote:

quote:

Or they hold till morale breaks or forced out.

Or could be restricted to hexes with dense terrain. Including those from level 3 forts. Unless you can encircle it or butcher through there is no way to take it.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 288
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:17:09 PM   
KWG

quote:

Static mode may be a good simulation of this---just make it affect the combat results as well. Kind of hard to retreat with no motorization and only enough horses to move supplies.

Some way of having some opposing adjacent units that have done battle against each other have a chance of becoming "Locked in combat" therefore causing extra movement points to disengage and move. also suffers higher attrition rates while locked.

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/8/2016 4:19:11 PM >

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 289
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:18:50 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

It Doesnt. Either Germans surround a city and then take it by storm with little to no losses- or its stormed in a 1 week assault again with light losses. Is why the game is a complete failure for simulating city fights.

Even the the only stance offered to defenders was hold at all costs would be good IMO. Keep combat as it is now, and add a hold at all cost order.

The key thing would be hold at all costs should be make deliberate assaults against the location much more costly for both sides since neither wants to give up.

The WitW (and therefore WitE2.0) set up is different as units can feed from depots. This makes surrounded units much more resilient.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 290
RE: WitE 2 - 1/8/2016 3:20:23 PM   
KWG

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

The WitW (and therefore WitE2.0) set up is different as units can feed from depots. This makes surrounded units much more resilient.

Oh YEA.. Ive noticed thats a BIG change with the depot system. Self-Sustaining. Surrounded units sitting on well stocked depots are difficult to defeat.

What is that German word for that Hitler called for surrounded pockets turned into fortresses,... Ingelstadt... nein?

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/8/2016 9:37:13 PM >

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 291
RE: WitE 2 - 1/10/2016 4:32:32 PM   
Revthought

quote:

Agreed.

Of course, it is a game, and the german player must have a real chance to win, but the balance shouldnt be 100% historic. Playing Germany should be difficult (if you achieve to win) but lets give the german player a chance.

I agree, and you are never ever, in our lifetimes at least, going to get something that approaches a true "simulation." All I was saying is that performance against the historical outcomes is an absolutely fine way to judge German success AND it is not the case that post-1941 (if ever) the argument could be made that Germany had a real opportunity to "win" the war of attrition.

That doesn't mean I'm against historical variants (like a May 15th start!). I will point out though that WiTE is already an ultimate "variant" scenario. For example, the player is given free reign to pursue the war however they like, changing their objectives and even moving whole panzer groups to different AGS.

In some ways I'm really impressed with what decisive campaigns has done by giving mechanics to the operational constraints of the Wermacht placed there for political reasons, and I really believe that historically this was the biggest variable in how Barbarossa (summer 1941) concluded.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 292
RE: WitE 2 - 1/10/2016 5:12:33 PM   
Revthought

Can I add a wish list?

Most of my thoughts about making the game better involve how information is displayed to the player .

1. A much easier way to click a button to see which HQs are over limit as far as subordinates go, and under limit. Clicking back and forth a dozen times is burdensome. (Quality of Life)
2. I need a screen where I can easily assign and re-assign aircraft. You can keep the mechanic of "hours flown," without the "transfer air unit" command, which makes it hard for me to tell which airfield has what, etc.
3. When I click on a corps HQ I want to see a separate color for it and it's units.
4. Instead of just "show isolated units" I'd like an overlay showing gradation of supply. I want to know which units are pulling full supply from the railhead, partial supply, little, etc.

Features:

Features I'd find interesting, though not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure:
1. Finer control over production like the Japanese in WITP. I.e. I want the be able to modify what equipment is being produced.
2. Integrating meta economics to the extent above. I would like to see the capture of my oilfields (and their repair!) mean more oil, and captured factories (and their repair!) mean a possible increase in TOE or armament production.
3. InclusIon of Norway, the Northern Russian parts.
4. Real modeling of the naval war. To ambhibious assault, I want to have to buy old a task force. I want to be able to intradict Murmansk lend-lease convoys.

REAL wishful thinking:
1. Option to play with Hitler and Stalin inference and political consequences (the DE:B system isn't perfect but I'm so glad some Me has done it). Make the player have to listen to politicians. They set goals, and total failure can lead to loss by replacement! Give players a reason why sending Panzers north or South *might* be a bad idea. Give Soviet players a reason to not just abandon Kiev right away.
2. Soviet/Balitic states collaborationist units (more of them). Up to a 1/3rd of German manpower in the East was former Soviets.
3. Dynamic modeling of the West. The better the Germans do East, the least well the Western allies do, to some extent... Altering withdrawal tables, etc.

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 293
RE: WitE 2 - 1/10/2016 5:51:50 PM   
RedLancer

Are you playing WitW? WitE2.0 is a development of WitW and not WitE. Some things are already in game and others are in train (no clues on which is which).

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 294
RE: WitE 2 - 1/11/2016 3:14:12 AM   
Revthought

I am playing War in the East--just started actually. My suggestions were just based on ways a WITE2 might be improved quality of life wise over WITE based on my impressions as a new player to the title(s).

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 295
RE: WitE 2 - 1/12/2016 11:51:27 PM   
uw06670

quote:

Are you playing WitW? WitE2.0 is a development of WitW and not WitE. Some things are already in game and others are in train (no clues on which is which).

quote:

1. Option to play with Hitler and Stalin inference and political consequences (the DE:B system isn't perfect but I'm so glad some Me has done it). Make the player have to listen to politicians. They set goals, and total failure can lead to loss by replacement! Give players a reason why sending Panzers north or South *might* be a bad idea. Give Soviet players a reason to not just abandon Kiev right away.

+1 I suggested this when I first started playing as a way to make the game more historical. Would be cool as an optional rule.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 296
RE: WitE 2 - 1/13/2016 3:49:51 AM   
kosmoface

Something out of left field... some kind of ingame battle planer would be nice or a function where I can put notes on the map or let me color some hexes. Little stickies, something like this.

The problem is, if life interrupts it is really difficult for me to get back into the bigger scenarios I started to play. Further more drawing some arrows and seeing if I can follow my plan would make the game much more comprehensible and easier to manage.

< Message edited by kosmoface -- 1/13/2016 4:57:32 AM >

(in reply to uw06670)
Post #: 297
RE: WitE 2 - 1/13/2016 10:59:03 AM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: uw06670

quote:

quote:

+1 I suggested this when I first started playing as a way to make the game more historical. Would be cool as an optional rule.

It could be interesting to have, as an optional rule, some strategic objectives linked to some hexes (like for example Kiev) that the players have to achieve in order to gain/avoid some bonus/penalities (to morale? to AP?).
E.G. for the Soviet Player, keep Kiev untill a certain date/turn.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kosmoface
The problem is, if life interrupts it is really difficult for me to get back into the bigger scenarios I started to play. Further more drawing some arrows and seeing if I can follow my plan would make the game much more comprehensible and easier to manage.

As a workaround, you can also do an AAR: it's funny and helps you to remember your plan :)

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 298
RE: WitE 2 - 1/13/2016 1:13:22 PM   
kosmoface

Haha, thanks for the suggestion, but I have not enough time to play alle the games I want to play. An AAR takes away too much time and all I want is more time for playing. And getting right back into it, without having to ponder much, would help.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 299
RE: WitE 2 - 1/18/2016 1:19:38 AM   
Revthought

Expanded map North to include Murmansk, northern Norway to simulate operation Silver Fox and to try and stop Murmansk lend-lease.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI