Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/3/2015 7:33:27 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Just got word from Francois. He'd like the extra time to work on his setups. So the outcome for Dec. 8th will have to wait.

I'll start posting some actual pre-invasion dispositions and maps before I leave.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 91
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/3/2015 10:53:18 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

The problem with a January 1942 Australian invasion is the offensive OOB for the IJ. There's a lot that's not freed up from typical offensive operations until February-March 1942. Other than the 4th ID and some of the SNLF units that normally expand across the islands in the Western Pacific, I don't know what you can put ashore in a meaningful manner to capture a continent early.

How far out are your carriers from supporting initial landings on or around Rabaul or are you actually considering bypassing Rabaul en route to East Coast Australia (ECOZ)?

I could have landed at Rabaul on Dec. 7th, but chose not to. In hindsight I probably should have, but I chose Manado instead to provide air search for my surface forces operating in the Celebes.

KB will have to transit from Pearl Harbor to Truk before it will be available to support moves on Rabaul and points south. The delay isn't an issue, because it will allow the majority of the forces assigned for operations in Australia to arrive at Truk and area. Support units, fuel and supply are also already heading to Truk.

I had no problem finding the troops for Australia, but of course that comes with a caveat. There will be less troops to seize the DEI quickly, but by focusing my advance I believe I can overcome the shortage of troops.

The major LCU's earmarked for Australia, and already in transit are:

1st Div.(Primarily reinforcement, must be bought out with PP's)
2nd Div.
4th Div.
16th Div.
21st Div.
33rd Div.
56th Div.

I plan on landing five divisions in the first wave. The sixth may be used to seize New Caledonia and/or Suva. Of course, I haven't included various armour and artillery units yet, nor the large number of support units that will be needed. Most units are already on the move, those that aren't are just awaiting allocation of transport shipping.

That still leaves five divisions to capture Singapore and one to bottle up Luzon. I will deal with Palembang and Java with what I have left.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/3/2015 11:54:11 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 92
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 12:53:12 AM   
Lowpe

You will have no problem in the Land of Oz. Elsewhere, maybe a slower expansion, but I am not sure that hurts that much as long as you get Palembang quickly.

Have fun.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 93
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 2:11:47 PM   
Chickenboy

Sqz-it will be "interesting" to see if the initial shock force that you are preparing for Oz will hamstring your DEI / Philippine / Java / Sumatra / Timor efforts. Allied supply and / or reinforcements brought into Luzon or Java could hamstring your follow-on efforts here significantly if you attempt an economy of force in this theater.

Keeping and even reinforcing Java while keeping Palembang out of your hands may be a trade off you are assuming with this disposition. In my opinion, again, this augurs for the use of KB in the DEI early. A successful Australian expedition combined with an unsuccessful DEI expedition would be a strategic failure, IMO. But that's just me.

No matter-I'm going to enjoy the carnage.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 94
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 3:03:34 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You will have no problem in the Land of Oz.

You make it sound so easy, is there something you know that I don't?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 95
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 3:19:27 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

Sqz-it will be "interesting" to see if the initial shock force that you are preparing for Oz will hamstring your DEI / Philippine / Java / Sumatra / Timor efforts. Allied supply and / or reinforcements brought into Luzon or Java could hamstring your follow-on efforts here significantly if you attempt an economy of force in this theater.

Keeping and even reinforcing Java while keeping Palembang out of your hands may be a trade off you are assuming with this disposition. In my opinion, again, this augurs for the use of KB in the DEI early. A successful Australian expedition combined with an unsuccessful DEI expedition would be a strategic failure, IMO. But that's just me.

No matter-I'm going to enjoy the carnage.

My goals for the DEI remain the same as for any other Japanese player. I'm just changing up the order and timeline. I won't sacrifice the Japanese war effort on account of Australia.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 96
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 3:36:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
I won't sacrifice the Japanese war effort on account of Australia.

Oh, but you very well might. You just might not realize you've brought enough to the show until after your early war exploitation phase is well and truly scotched. So I ask this:

1. How will you know-what will your acid test be-that you've underestimated Allied resolve in the DEI? When do you think you can make this determination?

2. What will your response be vis a vis your Australian expedition if / when you realize you need to redouble your efforts in the DEI? What units will you withdraw from where? How long will it take you to get them to where they are needed with the stupefying distances involved?

3. What can you do to ensure that you're not being 'rope a doped' into overextension onto the Australian continent, thereby leaving your LOC unsecured for a counteroffensive? In my opinion, not taking Rabaul leaves a significant thorn in your side.

4. Regardless of how Australia shakes out, what are your plans for Palembang, Balikpapan and Java? Will that be sufficient and timely? Assuming that your Australian troops are 'otherwise engaged', where will any reinforcements come from?

5. If you are making a serious play for Australia, what were your thoughts on the Western part of the continent? You may need to draw up plans for Diego Garcia, Christmas island IO, and the "hot corner" of Carnavon, etc. to maintain a stricture around Perth while you're tied up "out East".

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 97
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 4:14:23 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Such a pessimist!

Here I was thinking you'd relish seeing something different. Hopefully my play will best answer your tough questions.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 98
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 4:18:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Such a pessimist!

Here I was thinking you'd relish seeing something different. Hopefully my play will best answer your tough questions.

I'm with you on this one Sqz - even if your gambit doesn't work out, it will be a lot of fun for you to play (and us to "armchair quarterback" from the sidelines")

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 99
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 4:28:08 PM   
witpqs

Consider: The main targets are Sydney and Melbourne. Capturing them destroys the factories there and gives full strategic points for them, right? What will it do to the LI, HI, and refineries there?

After them you can pull out most of the forces for conquering the DEI. The rest of Australia can be left to go in slow motion. Maintain the ability to withdraw forces when the time comes.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 100
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 4:39:25 PM   
Lowpe

He is hitting Oz with so much so so early...

As I see it destroying all that in Oz will be incredibly beneficial, as long as a fortress Palembang isn't allowed to form up.

Palembang is the real question mark...other than that I think it is all good.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 101
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 4:41:58 PM   
KenchiSulla

I'd say risk an early invasion (december) of Palembang with around 200 AV... The rest of the DEI can wait, Palembang can't...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 102
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 5:04:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Such a pessimist!

C'mon mate-don't be like that. I'm just asking the tough questions. Or would you prefer a brainless drooling fanboi base?

I'm looking forward to something different. But will that something different be a June 1942 quagmire in the DEI?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 103
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 5:05:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I'm with you on this one Sqz

Never mind.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 104
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 5:15:15 PM   
BBfanboy

If the base contains HI, half of it gets destroyed automatically on conquest, and perhaps some more industry of all kinds destroyed or damaged by the fighting (engineers being a factor). If there is no HI, LI takes the 50% hit and the usual damage/destruction from fighting applies.
Aircraft factories are almost totally destroyed, with the remaining (10%?) converted into vehicle factories.

When the conqueror is evicted from the industrial centre, the damage results apply again. Only by occupying a vacant base can all the industries be taken intact.

Taking intact aircraft factories will provide no benefit- your units cannot use them and unless you get engines for them as well, you cannot even finish making them.

I haven't figured out yet if taking vehicle and armament factories results in more vehicle and armament production. As I read the manual, everything is supposed to convert to support vehicle production - i.e. no AFVs. But if you take an armament factory by occupation, why not produce some enemy versions of the 81mm mortar? Or some 350mm siege artillery? Doesn't seem to happen though - no TOE for putting these devices in the units you have.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 105
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 5:21:56 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

But will that something different be a June 1942 quagmire in the DEI?

June!

O ye of little faith. I plan on having my major operations in the DEI wrapped up by the end of the amphibious bonus, or soon thereafter. Luzon will be a wither on the vine strategy as you applied in our game.

The landing at Manado on Dec. 7th is the precursor for an early push to secure Ambon, Balikpapan, Kendari, Makassar, Tarakan, and Ternate. This will be followed by landings on Timor and central Java.

I will find the troops.

One thing to note. We are allowing strategic bombing to occur immediately. A quick landing at Palembang opens it up to strategic bombing, something to think on.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/4/2015 6:22:40 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 106
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 5:30:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

But will that something different be a June 1942 quagmire in the DEI?

June!

O ye of little faith. I plan on having my major operations in the DEI wrapped up by the end of the amphibious bonus, or soon thereafter. Luzon will be a wither on the vine strategy as you applied in our game.

The landing at Manado on Dec. 7th is the precursor for an early push to secure Ambon, Balikpapan, Kendari, Makassar, Tarakan, and Ternate. This will be followed by landings on Timor and central Java.

I will find the troops.

One thing to note. We are allowing strategic bombing to occur immediately. A quick landing at Palembang opens it up to strategic bombing, something to think on.

Invest it to prevent reinforcement (except via air) but do not attack until ready to protect the well and refinery infrastructure.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 107
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/4/2015 7:42:28 PM   
Encircled

Quick grab of Oosthaven and he will be struggling to reinforce Palembang (unless he weakens Singapore, which kinda plays into your hands anyway)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 108
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/5/2015 3:40:54 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Francois said he'll send the turn while I'm away in Phoenix, so I'll pick this up when I return on the 12th. It will be nice to get the turns flowing and get a handle on upcoming events.

I have plenty of ideas to mull over and I'll find myself thinking strategy and tactics while floating in the pool no doubt.

I also have a chance to meet a fellow forumite while away. If all goes well, the plan is to meet for a few beers and watch some football while talking about whatever happens to come up. I'm looking forward it.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/5/2015 4:41:37 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 109
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/5/2015 5:30:37 PM   
Chickenboy

Safe travels.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 110
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/9/2015 6:11:31 PM   
pontiouspilot

Enjoy the trip...try to get the frost outa your lemons!!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 111
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 4:05:31 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Back from Phoenix and the lemons have been defrosted.

Sadly, the pool was under renovations at the hotel and we were only able to enjoy one day poolside. We made the most of it though.

I am pleased to announce that I was able to meet Tony (Pax Mondo) in person. He was kind enough to pick me up at the hotel and take me to a micro-brewery type restaurant for dinner and conversation. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit and hope to make it a regular occurrence to visit Tony on my future trips to Phoenix. I can't thank Tony enough for taking the time out of his busy schedule to meet. Not only did he drive, but he also wouldn't let me pay for dinner. Mexican or BBQ will be on me my next time down .

I'll update the game situation in a day or two. Francois is a good player and I have my hands full. He's playing a different game then I'm used to and it's taking some adjustment. I'm also finding the reduced aviation support a pain in the butt and I've been vulnerable to both naval and air interdiction. Another nasty surprise is being on the receiving end of PBY Catalina's set to naval attack in the Philippines. They've been wreaking havoc.

It's early yet, but I am rusty playing Japan. Weather has also been unkind, preventing my Betty/Nell bombers from taking a toll of Allied shipping fleeing Singapore along the east coast of Sumatra and numerous SCTF's in the Philippines. Japanese naval forces have also been unable to react and interdict numerous Allied SCTF's around the Celebes. I need to find my mojo and fast.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 112
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 8:30:44 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I thought I'd elaborate further on the impact the reduced aviation support is having upon my operations.

I'm used to advancing under an LBA umbrella in the DEI. The initial disposition of aviation support units is less than ideal at start. Compounding the problem is that almost no aviation support units are included in the initial amphibious task forces. Taking the bases hasn't been an issue, getting aviation support forward is. Since December 8th, no Japanese naval air units have launched torpedo attacks against Allied TF's operating within strike range. I can only surmise distance and weather is preventing the attacks. I've already changed leadership in the torpedo bomber units to insure high aggression, but they still won't launch. Defensively, my forward fighters are operating from bases with inadequate aviation support and having to provide CAP/LRCAP in such small numbers as to be insufficient at best, resulting in successful enemy bombing attacks against my shipping.

In light of this development, I've created numerous follow up amphibious TF's to move as much aviation support forward to allow sufficient numbers of aircraft to be deployed at the point of attack. I fear I've missed the chance to close the escape route from Singapore, but with aircraft not flying there wasn't much I could have done. Until I can close the door on Allied naval movement, I've temporarily delayed the next wave of amphibious landings. A few days of delay in order to consolidate my position and provide adequate air cover moving forward will pay dividends. I've lost more ships in the first few days of the war then ever before, and it's the result of rushing amphibious landings ahead of providing adequate air cover. The most important Japanese units on the map right now are the aviation support units, without them in place I'm throwing away my chance at air superiority, which puts my naval assets at risk and allows Allied ships to escape destruction. In this case, a speedy advance simply means more sunk Japanese ships. I don't need to rush in the DEI, as it only provides opportunities to my opponent.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/13/2015 11:03:33 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 113
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 9:14:06 PM   
Lowpe

I am in the same boat as you with the reduced aviation! It is a pain. That and reduced engineers.

I have gotten to flying them around by transports to speed their deployment. Searchlights and radar follow as best they can but air HQs can really be 100% moved by air.

Get rid of those Theresa's!

I am hoping the Allies will suffer from this in 45, but somehow I doubt it.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 114
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 9:59:51 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I am in the same boat as you with the reduced aviation! It is a pain. That and reduced engineers.

I have gotten to flying them around by transports to speed their deployment. Searchlights and radar follow as best they can but air HQs can really be 100% moved by air.

Get rid of those Theresa's!

Hah! Thalia's for me. I sacrifice the load of the Topsy to get that extra hex of distance, which I think will be more important.

The reduced aviation support will take some getting used to, but once I get a handle on events it will get easier.

If I recall, the torpedo element of Air HQ's doesn't transport by air, is that still correct?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 115
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 10:05:13 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I am pleased to announce that I was able to meet Tony (Pax Mondo) in person. He was kind enough to pick me up at the hotel and take me to a micro-brewery type restaurant for dinner and conversation. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit and hope to make it a regular occurrence to visit Tony on my future trips to Phoenix. I can't thank Tony enough for taking the time out of his busy schedule to meet. Not only did he drive, but he also wouldn't let me pay for dinner. Mexican or BBQ will be on me my next time down .

Hopefully, I will have my pergola built and then we will have you over to the house. The spouses can sit inside and discuss whatever they discuss (prolly nutty husbands), and we can sit outside with some VSOP or something like ...

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 116
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 10:08:09 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

If I recall, the torpedo element of Air HQ's doesn't transport by air, is that still correct?

Sure they will fly - just load them on torpedo bombers!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 117
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 10:25:50 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Sure they will fly - just load them on torpedo bombers!

Sometimes I wish there was a smartass emoticon available...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 118
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/13/2015 11:47:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

That's my experience. Correct.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 119
RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) - 11/14/2015 12:30:38 AM   
FeurerKrieg

I spent a lot of time before my game started, and a good bit of that was locating all the aviation support units and then immediately routing ships to pick them up on turn 1. Even so, I don't think I've had an airbase yet that had anywhere near the support it needed. I typically have about 30 AV Support and 200-300 needed. But, since most 1942 Japan planes are SL 1 or 2, my operational tempo stays up pretty well.

I also think it is critical to have Air HQ's ready to go in that first wave of invasions so that at least a couple size 4 airbases have Aviation support on the turn you capture them. I spent many weeks planning all that out, it is a real planning challenge for sure.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Insert witty AAR title here - Sqz(J) vs. fcharton (A) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI