Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE Conference?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Conference? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE Conference? - 12/14/2015 6:25:53 PM   
Big B

One of these days Kelly
It would be nice to get our third amigo too....

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

It's always good to meet up with fellow brothers. This is me and JWE/Symon/John in B'ham AL on his way moving down to the Gulf back in 2010 I think.

I've posted this pic before, so I'm sure he won't mind. It was very fun to get to sit and have a long conversation over dinner.

I also met up with AUTiger in Memphis (Collierville) a while back as well.

Hoping to hook up with Big B one of these days soon!!

I live in ROLL TIDE country so make it close!!!! Love CW battlefields. Walked all over Horseshoe Bend last summer.

TOMLABEL

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 61
RE: AE Conference? - 12/14/2015 8:16:31 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

You guys need to come to Israel and I take you all to Yad La Siryon (Latrun tank museum).

What happened to that guy's head?? At least he's in better shape than the guy below! Found this on Google Maps (Vancouver Island).

Fuzzy camo a la Predator movies. It's actually me.

Really? I thought I'd recognize you anywhere.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 62
RE: AE Conference? - 12/14/2015 8:23:03 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

New Orleans would be of interest for a number of reasons, the WW2 museum is great, Mobile is just down the road (USS Alabama) and a bit further is something that is a real gem, the Naval Air museum at Pensacola. We could have a moving meeting! Hal

When I was in Mobile to visit her, we ate at a restaurant that I think was called "J. Prestons". This would have been back in the '80s. It was kind of a proto-Applebee's but it was mainly about seafood, mostly fried, but it was to die for.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 63
RE: AE Conference? - 12/14/2015 8:37:18 PM   
geofflambert

This is OT but back in those days the Sears building downtown had on the top floor a restaurant that had "all you can eat" crab legs on Fridays. Some co-workers and I would show up every Friday. It seemed like almost no one ever went to that floor or knew what was up there; I don't actually ever remember any other customers being present. Anyway, the first time the waitress played "try and wait them out 'til they go away", but not as bad as some other places. We however, were implacable. We would eat and wait and eat until we were almost ready to puke crab. We gave her something like a 30% tip. From then on there was no delay between us finishing one batch and her delivering the next (it was always the same waitress). We (from then on) gave her something like a 100% tip.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/14/2015 9:44:26 PM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 64
RE: AE Conference? - 12/14/2015 11:00:24 PM   
zuluhour

I'm guessing she looked good to for 100% tip!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 65
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 12:50:46 AM   
geofflambert

No, she looked alright for a 50ish lady but we couldn't tip the crabs, could we?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 66
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 1:09:00 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

East of the Mississippi you have Annapolis/DC
Udvar
Aerospace
USNA
Torsk
Taney
Constellation

just say'n

With Norfolk in range for a daytrip, if there's time.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 67
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 1:12:52 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

We should meet in Chattanooga, as that is the center of North America (like Jeruslum is the center of the Middle East and Paris the center of civilization).

I'll be glad to lead tours of Chickamauga Battlefield. I'll even read the surpassingly lovely poetry I've written about the place. I know this is enticing to you gents.

There's nothing west of the Hudson!!!!

Of course I'm kidding. Anyway I could get on board with this, would be great to have a forumite give us a tour.

At any rate great idea John, I've often though about it, but didn't think there'd be much support.

So many great ideas here, seems like we'd have to do it at least every couple of years to hit all of them, and whoever could go would go. Even out of the USA. Just can't for a bit as I let my passport lapse.

Anyway I'm in as long as I can get the time off from work. Shouldn't be too hard with a bit of notice. So what time of year are we looking at. Personally I prefer the fall, bit cooler. I'm just one here so whatever is decide I'll do my best to make it.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 68
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 1:16:53 AM   
nashvillen

Chattanooga is not West of the Hudson, but South, and that is the important part!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 69
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 1:44:33 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

We should meet in Chattanooga, as that is the center of North America (like Jeruslum is the center of the Middle East and Paris the center of civilization).

I'll be glad to lead tours of Chickamauga Battlefield. I'll even read the surpassingly lovely poetry I've written about the place. I know this is enticing to you gents.

There's nothing west of the Hudson!!!!

Of course I'm kidding. Anyway I could get on board with this, would be great to have a forumite give us a tour.

At any rate great idea John, I've often though about it, but didn't think there'd be much support.

So many great ideas here, seems like we'd have to do it at least every couple of years to hit all of them, and whoever could go would go. Even out of the USA. Just can't for a bit as I let my passport lapse.

Anyway I'm in as long as I can get the time off from work. Shouldn't be too hard with a bit of notice. So what time of year are we looking at. Personally I prefer the fall, bit cooler. I'm just one here so whatever is decide I'll do my best to make it.

I once looked at a book in a store on mental maps. I wish I had bought the book, I haven't been able to find it since. It had maps of the US scaled as how things look to various populations. Like people from Boston had Massachusetts massive and the rest of the US was puny. Residents of New York City had a lot of detail of the city and most of the rest of the US was tiny, except for Florida and Hollywood.

I believe the book was out of surveys of various populations and what they paid the most attention to geographically.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 70
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 2:21:02 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I once looked at a book in a store on mental maps. I wish I had bought the book, I haven't been able to find it since. It had maps of the US scaled as how things look to various populations. Like people from Boston had Massachusetts massive and the rest of the US was puny. Residents of New York City had a lot of detail of the city and most of the rest of the US was tiny, except for Florida and Hollywood.

I believe the book was out of surveys of various populations and what they paid the most attention to geographically.

Bill

Bill - that would have been an awesome book to have!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 71
RE: AE Conference? - 12/15/2015 8:38:47 PM   
rustysi

+1

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 72
RE: AE Conference? - 12/22/2015 1:21:36 PM   
Lecivius

This is to good of an idea to just go to page 2

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 73
RE: AE Conference? - 12/22/2015 3:23:14 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Come on - how long does it take to renew a passport....

Many good suggestions here but only a few of them have any direct connection to WW2 naval history, as I see it.
Sure, a lot of museum ships that saw action but not where it actually happened. Except, of course, USS Arizona.

Here is one historical object that's still where it was during the war: The Oscarsborg Fortress in Oslofjord.

It has a quite interesting story, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscarsborg_Fortress

The fortress seen from Dröbak, across the fjord. The German flotilla (tried to) pass in front of the fortress
from left to right in the picture. The main battery can be seen on the upper left part of the fortress island.
The torpedo battery was on another island outside the upper right part of the picture.

[URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/Leandros10/media/7760db3b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/Leandros10/7760db3b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

One of the three guns in the main battery - 28 cm. Krupp:

[URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/Leandros10/media/29ee24db.jpg.html][IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/Leandros10/29ee24db.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

A small ferry take the visitors from Dröbak on the other side of the fjord:

[URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/Leandros10/media/ce47e362.jpg.html][IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/Leandros10/ce47e362.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 74
RE: AE Conference? - 12/22/2015 3:25:54 PM   
Leandros

Here is an interesting object: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscarsborg_Fortress

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/Leandros10/7760db3b.jpg

< Message edited by Leandros -- 12/22/2015 4:28:09 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 75
RE: AE Conference? - 12/22/2015 10:01:55 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Come on - how long does it take to renew a passport....

Depends how long it takes me to get off my bum and 'git 'er done'.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 76
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE Conference? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI