Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Monster Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Monster Scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/3/2017 9:02:49 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketboy
"Ready to ship" - pun intended? ;)
I have been looking for a good Pacific War game, and this scenario alone might be the selling point for TOAW IV. But I was probably getting it anyway

Thomas Harvey is the scenario designer of Pacific At War and he mopped the floor with me when he and
I were playtesting it. Every once in a while TOAW IV mechanics would burst the bubble of realism but not often. For instance
during the early trials driving your CV through the hex of a CA that had a spotter plane would sometimes "steal" the spotter plane if
there was room on the CV for it. That kind of thing. Mostly this scenario is one of the best ones I've ever played. Think of FITE
for the Pacific.

Let's be clear before anyone gets the wrong idea: There are still lots of naval warfare aspects that TOAW still lacks. Foremost is Sea Supply - no transport of supply over deep water. Same for submarines, ship-borne torpedoes, and naval reaction. WitP still has the upper hand on modeling the entire PTO. I think we'll get there one day, but not by the initial release.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/3/2017 9:16:49 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

New Scenario to be released with TOAW IV: Pacific at War:

"This scenario starts on December 7th 1941 and ends on August 13th 1945 . . . 193 turns

Larry

Any chance the author(s) of this 193 turn scenario can break it down into several smaller scenarios? Such as a scenario starting at Midway, Guadalcanal, Burma campaign, or MacArthur’s campaign to the Philippines. There are so many possibilities this scenario has to offer. Think many more people would want to participate if they could play only the portion they find most interesting at a less extreme commitment of time.

This is not a new suggestion. As I recall the North Africa and Viet Nam scenarios came in both the full version and battle/campaign specific configurations.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 32
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/4/2017 12:21:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

There's a phethera of new scenarios to play dealing with WWII in the Pacific. Here's just a few:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 33
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/4/2017 1:50:22 AM   
rhinobones

Larry

All very nice and good. Thankyou. But the question was, can the author(s) of Pacific War 193 turn scenario break the scenario into specific conflict/campaign/battle scenarios? The scenarios you pictured all seemed to be from other authors.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 34
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/4/2017 2:52:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Larry

All very nice and good. Thankyou. But the question was, can the author(s) of Pacific War 193 turn scenario break the scenario into specific conflict/campaign/battle scenarios? The scenarios you pictured all seemed to be from other authors.

Regards, RhinoBones

I can see that even though a picture is worth a thousand words more words are needed yet to fully
explain what the picture means. There are *new* scenarios that Thomas Harvey built from the same
map as PAW and they indeed cover Midway and Coral Sea and the Leyte Gulf battle, etc. Also,
Bob Cross has built several little scenarios for Pearl Harbor and Midway and so on. There's lots
to play now.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 35
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/6/2017 8:24:29 PM   
pzgndr

I posted a question up in General Discussion about TOAW versus MWiF.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster
The general quality of the game system, its global nature (with the associated naval stuff that interests you), your complete control of everything from politics, resource movement, production, strategy and tactics; really recommends it.

I'd be curious to hear what enhancements have been made in TOAW IV to go beyond operational level warfare to the grand strategic level where players can make choices for diplomacy, research, production, etc. Certainly TOAW offers lots of good operational level scenarios, but MWiF offers the global grand strategy game. Again, I'd be curious to hear what TOAW IV may offer along these lines.

What can we expect? Thanks!

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 36
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/6/2017 8:37:45 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

The general quality of the game system, its global nature (with the associated naval stuff that interests you), your complete control of everything from politics, resource movement, production, strategy and tactics; really recommends it.

I'd be curious to hear what enhancements have been made in TOAW IV to go beyond operational level warfare to the grand strategic level where players can make choices for diplomacy, research, production, etc. Certainly TOAW offers lots of good operational level scenarios, but MWiF offers the global grand strategy game. Again, I'd be curious to hear what TOAW IV may offer along these lines.

Well, it is called The Operational Art of War... Not the Strategic Art of War or the Grand Strategic Art of War. And I for one do not want to see it go beyond the operational level.

And if a designer want to offer a Strategic level choice or even a Grand Strategic choice to the player then this can already be done via the Theater Options.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/6/2017 8:42:12 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 37
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 2:57:07 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, it is called The Operational Art of War... Not the Strategic Art of War or the Grand Strategic Art of War. And I for one do not want to see it go beyond the operational level.

And if a designer want to offer a Strategic level choice or even a Grand Strategic choice to the player then this can already be done via the Theater Options.

Best wishes,
Steve

+1

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 38
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 8:14:36 AM   
ADMIRAL3

agree 100% Shunwick

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 39
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 8:38:56 AM   
Tamas

yes I think the Theater Options and the events (probably my favourite features of TOAW since the beginning, to be honest) give a lot of opportunities to create strategic context and some cases even strategic decisions. There is no point in going further with this, as that could hurt realism or flexibility, probably both.

(in reply to ADMIRAL3)
Post #: 40
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 1:50:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I think facilities for a production system would be a fun addition to some of the theater-sized scenarios. But that's just blue sky for now. Lots more stuff would have to get done first.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 41
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 2:58:25 PM   
rico21

I hope to adapt Stalin vs Martians

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 42
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 6:10:09 PM   
dox44

impossible. no wayyy man

not EVEN rico could pull that off.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 43
RE: Monster Scenarios - 7/7/2017 6:35:43 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas
yes I think the Theater Options and the events (probably my favourite features of TOAW since the beginning, to be honest) give a lot of opportunities to create strategic context and some cases even strategic decisions.

That's all I'm getting at. Just curious if any enhancements have been made to the options and event scripting for TOAW IV and which grand campaign scenarios will include strategic options for players to select from. Like a monster ETO '39-'45 campaign, which needs some provisions for DOWs and reactions unless these must be hard-wired for everything happening on historical dates.

Not asking for any new strategic features, just wondering what's been done for the TOAW IV release to look for.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 44
RE: Monster Scenarios - 8/28/2017 4:03:07 PM   
menik

I apologize for my bad english. A scenary I like most is the Russo-japanese war of the 1904-5 (white eagle-rising sun). A problem in this scenario is that the russian fleet can destroy the japanese fleet at turn 1 and this end the game. Toaw IV can overcome this limit and allow us to appreciate the naval role?

Antrocom Online Journal of Anthropology:
www.antrocom.net

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 45
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/21/2017 11:09:21 PM   
sinbuster

As this question is related to scenarios in general, does TOAWIV include linked scenarios like the Campaign Series or are they basically self contained like WITE/W?

(Never played TOAW before, I've been holding off until IV comes out)

(in reply to menik)
Post #: 46
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/22/2017 12:20:52 AM   
Meyer1

No linked scenarios in TOAW.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 47
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/24/2017 11:39:49 AM   
sinbuster

Thanks for clarifying Meyer1.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 48
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/24/2017 1:16:20 PM   
fogger

At the moment I am testing FITE2 on TOAW 4 at 5kms per hex and I have 2035 units in play. Turn 172 of 500. With TOAW 4 you will be able to do WW2 at 10kms and Regt / Bn level. You will wet your pants when it come out.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 49
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/24/2017 1:34:00 PM   
Lobster

The impact of what fogger said is that a portrayal of all of the European Theater at 10 km per hex is possible, both East and West fronts. A 700x700 hex map has been part of the plan for some time now and that information has been available for at least a couple of years. And if someone were crazy enough the entire war at a global scale is well within limits at 50 km per hex. I can't say how accurate it would be but the possibility is out there.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 50
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/24/2017 5:20:57 PM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

At the moment I am testing FITE2 on TOAW 4 at 5kms per hex and I have 2035 units in play. Turn 172 of 500. With TOAW 4 you will be able to do WW2 at 10kms and Regt / Bn level. You will wet your pants when it come out.

Do you know if the D21 @ 2.5km/hex will be ready by release?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/almost-unbelievably-detailed-2-5km-hex-operation-barbarossa-map/

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 51
RE: Monster Scenarios - 10/25/2017 11:10:36 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I think facilities for a production system would be a fun addition to some of the theater-sized scenarios. But that's just blue sky for now. Lots more stuff would have to get done first.

That would be great especially when linked to events.

A long time ago I modded a scenario in which I made a production tree out in the water with a single unit that could move 1 hex a turn. At different intervals, the player had to make decisions which route he wanted to take. I believe I also linked it to events such that some routes were blocked until such and such happened. It was pretty basic, but I believe it worked alright.

I also did a production system with the scenario editor in which at different intervals or events, an unmovable unit was placed on the map containing various types of equipment. The player then only needed to disband the unit and all the equipment would enter into his inventory.

It's doable right now, you just have to be creative.

Post #: 52
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/9/2017 12:20:48 PM   
jnpoint

I don't get it. Scenarios over several years but no tech or production. Do they then fight from 1939 to 1945 with weapons produced in '39?

Post #: 53
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/9/2017 12:37:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint
I don't get it. Scenarios over several years but no tech or production. Do they then fight from 1939 to 1945 with weapons produced in '39?

One of the tricks that scenario designers use for upgrading the equipment in a
unit is to assign some to the unit when the number on hand is still 0 so that
none of the equipment for '43 shows up in the unit until '43.

Another trick is to withdraw that unit from the game amd spawn a new unit with
a similar name with the new equipment. Most scenario designers use the first
method.

Right now I'm playtesting a scenario to see if it's balanced. That scenario
is B41, actually a mod of B41 because I've given RR engineers
to all the Engineering Units. At any rate, this scenario has aircraft being
withdrawn from the game from the Axis side presumably because they are needed
on the Western front, but later in the game there's new equipment that shows up
in the inventory so that the units start fielding the new stuff almost like they
were a new unit. The unit gets new equipment and sometimes that changes the
personality of that unit.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 54
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/9/2017 12:53:59 PM   
erazerhead99

The equipment changes automatically in the way the scenario designer specified it. This might seem strange to players of Paradox Titles or similar games, but it is the standard for more detailed wargames. The reasons for it are A) the ability to focus on moving and attacking with a large number of units and B) historical accuracy - commanders of large forces have historically never been in direct control of the national research and economy because they usually are quite busy actually commanding. Historically feasable, limited options like "use political influence to shift focus from project x to project y" are possible in the engine. I would have liked some improvements in the UI here though, like the ability to use special screens with customizable layout and a visible political influence "resource" et cetera.

< Message edited by erazerhead99 -- 11/9/2017 12:57:48 PM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 55
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/9/2017 6:01:37 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

No, of course not.

That is what the Inventory and Replacements editor (to create scenarios) is for.

As you can see you can start production of a certain piece of equipment on a turn number and also it's end. Please note, the photo is not the editor itself, shows you when playing a game when new equipment will start arriving.

Thus, if you want to phase out Pzr I production completely, you set an end date. If you want to begin a Pzr IIIJ to replace them, you set a start date.

This requires that for each of your Panzer Divisions you have assigned it Pzr IIIJ's but they start the game with 0. Once the production turn number arrives, tanks will slowly filter out to your divisions based on how many are produced each turn and other factors. Destroyed Pzr I's will not be replaced.

So as Larry said, it depends on the Scenario Designer on just how accurately he wants the TO&E to be.

< Message edited by Lava -- 11/9/2017 6:04:49 PM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 56
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 2:34:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

Has anybody else noticed that this thread ( Monster Scenarios ) has more hits than anyother thread.
There must be quite an interest in the big ones. World at War 1939-1945 is the largest that I know of.
It's a Thomas Harvey product and one of the best in my opinion. But if you don't want something THAT big
there's FITE2 by the FITE team and the playtesting has been ongoing for quite a while now.
Fogger is playing Loveman and there are on turn 176 last time I checked.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 57
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 4:29:32 PM   
Spectre195

Anyone try out or know about the monster Great War scenario? I'm a filthy heathen who prefers WW1 to WW2 and was curious is that is worth checking out. First time in the TOAW and probably where I would head for my first "Monster" Scenario.

Post #: 58
RE: Monster Scenarios - 11/14/2017 6:30:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

I went to Rugged Design ( web site ) and found Great War 1914-1918 and downloaded it and attached it here below.
You will probably have to "fix" it by saving the scenario in your editor. That will bring it up to date because
it's in COW format right now. Enjoy.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Monster Scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI