Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/22/2018 10:30:08 AM   
PvtBenjamin

My experience is USSR isn't going to hold Moscow against a skilled attack. The map works much more in USSR favor after that.

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 151
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/22/2018 11:08:52 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harun

Stalingrad must be the fortified location.

Picking the 'stay in moskov' decision is very risky. The invaders have the luxury of forests to cover its advances and the morale bonus isn't going to save you if you haven't caught up tech-wise.

Stalingrad has more favorable terrain and oversees Astrakhan, the link that connects the Caucasus to the rest of Russia. There's a lot of mpp at stakes.

I guess I could show how I built up my defenses in the area.

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 5/22/2018 1:13:28 PM >

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 152
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/22/2018 5:28:59 PM   
Harun

I'm learning a lot from this AAR!

Make sense to me.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 153
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/22/2018 7:28:10 PM   
Taxman66

If you are stong enough to make your stand in those forests it helps against the Luftwaffe.

It all depends on where Germany makes their strongest opening push and also if they are going Quantity/speed or Quality/slow.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 154
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/23/2018 5:57:20 AM   
KorutZelva

1942/8/9
Leningrad and Greece falls.
Germany stockpiling air in Tunisia and harassing the UK sub in the Area.
Russian troops sneaks in and steal Kirkuk oil wells.
German air at 4 for both Advanced aircraft and long range flight

Forgot to take a pic of my Stalingrad defense, sorry!

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 155
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/23/2018 11:29:22 PM   
KorutZelva

As promised...

Spies spot near Moskov a German tech 4 heavy tanks.

Allied income is close to double the Axis but without some measure of tech parity, I'm stuck playing defence.

Hopefully the Russian will catch a tech break to make it interesting in '43.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 156
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/24/2018 10:00:36 PM   
Harrybanana

Can we have a Map of Morocco please? I am curious how close the Axis are to capturing Casablanca and getting Spain into the War. Or has that already happened and I missed it?

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 157
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/24/2018 10:01:52 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

Can we have a Map of Morocco please? I am curious how close the Axis are to capturing Casablanca and getting Spain into the War. Or has that already happened and I missed it?

It's still neutral.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 158
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/24/2018 10:08:52 PM   
Harrybanana

Do you mean Spain is still neutral or Morocco or both? Has Algeria been invaded?

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 159
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/24/2018 10:45:55 PM   
Harun

Germans have air units in Tunisia, but he's not said Algeria has been attacked.

Post #: 160
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/24/2018 11:34:20 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harun

Germans have air units in Tunisia, but he's not said Algeria has been attacked.

yepp, that's it.

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 161
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/25/2018 12:08:40 AM   
Harrybanana

Okay, got it. Thanks.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 162
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/25/2018 12:36:27 AM   
KorutZelva

1942/9/6

Vichy France occupied. (Spain is upset by it, so Axis leaning dwindle to 59%... if this was the next patch it would have made the Spain bribe DE out of reach )
Germany tightening the noose on Moscow.
Germany advances in Persia will close the tap on the convoy there. (Interestingly, it's supposed to stop when an Axis unit comes within 5 Hex of one of the convoy city but in practice it won't stop until one of the cities along the convoy line is occupied.)
Germany kept a rhythm of conquest of countries of at least one a turn for 4 turns, so allied morale remains low.

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 5/25/2018 10:36:04 AM >

Post #: 163
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/25/2018 10:37:39 PM   
KorutZelva

September 20th. 1942

Germany and Italy declare war on the saudis.
Persia convoy halted.

Elsewhere in Russia...

The end of the year is drawing closer but I'm going to hold on before posting a unit count update until the first turn of march '43. The allies planned around having tons of purchase to arrive during the Dec-Feb period so that way it will give a better idea of the unit situation by giving the tally just before the next campaigning season start.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 164
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/25/2018 11:53:39 PM   
Harrybanana

I was just comparing this AAR with the one of my game with KZ. In my game KZ used his uber-diplomacy on the US, while in this game he used it on Russia. But there are some remarkable similarities in how the games have progressed such as:

1. France was conquered on the same turn (July 21/40) in both games. Considering that France invested heavily in Diplo chits this is actually pretty good for France.

2. Malta was captured in October 1940 in both games.

3. Cairo fell in July 41 in my game and October 41 in this game. I believe this was primarily due to KZ putting a lot more quality units (including 3 tanks) into Libya/Egypt. This probably meant that England was wide open for Sealion.

4. Barbarossa was launched by me on September 3/41 and by Sugar on August 19. So rather late Russian invasions for both of us.

5. Baghdad was captured by me in June 42 and by Sugar in May 42.

6. By September 42 we had both captured Leningrad and were within 1 to 3 hexes of Moscow. Though in my case it would take me several more turns to capture Moscow against stiff resistance.

One big difference is that by September 42 I had captured Algeria and Morocco and Spain was an Axis Ally.

The other big difference is that, in my opinion, KZ is playing a much better game against Sugar than he did against me. It is scary how quickly he is learning. But I still think Sugar will pull a Victory in this game out of his hat.

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 5/26/2018 12:06:03 AM >

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 165
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 12:32:51 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

I was just comparing this AAR with the one of my game with KZ. The biggest difference is that in my game KZ used his uber-diplomacy on the US, while in this game he used it on Russia. But there are some remarkable similarities in how the games have progressed such as:

1. France was conquered on the same turn (July 21/40) in both games. Considering that France invested heavily in Diplo chits this is actually pretty good for France.

2. Malta was captured in October 1940 in both games.

3. Cairo fell in July 41 in my game and October 41 in this game. I believe this was primarily due to KZ putting a lot more quality units (including 3 tanks) into Libya/Egypt. This probably meant that Eng;and was wide open for Sealion.

4. Barbarossa was launched by me on September 3/41 and by Sugar on August 19. So rather late Rusian invasions for both of us.

It's true that, without knowing it, our game was kind of a rehearsal for this game vs Sugar.

You left out one similarity, I screwed up Iraq defense just the same.

Things I learned from our game that I changed in this one.

1-UK didn't invest in France defence. This ain't mistake per say to do so but for this particular strategy I couldn't spare the mpp. Germany slow progress there was in part the maginot snafu but also, unlike you, he didn't buy any additional offensive unit for France invasion relying on existing units. In the end, it compensated the lack of UK support.
2-I started my UK vital research and unit buys before going diplo. Advanced air and armoured warfare were both bought turn 1. Going for diplo too early made me lag in air tech in our game. Tech I could double chits were invested after diplo.
3-Put pressure on Italy. It take a little bit of time for Germany to deploy in NA so the UK has a window of opportunity to inflict some damage. I was too timid in our game and just waited on defense, letting you deploy in NA uncontested. Damaging the ports slowed the german deployment in this one and allowed me to destroy an entire Italian army group.
3-For my offensive punch, I went tank instead of bombers for the UK. Cheaper to acquire and maintain, not as dependant on weather. And more firepower once you get that second strike.
4-Higher priority at Command tech (double teching it to max) and improving HQ. I saw in our game how my airforce was easily wrecked despite having numerical superiority a lot of time. Half of that was that I was behind in tech, the other half was that my HQs had been neglected.
5-No forward defence for Russia. Went for Leningrad/Stalingrad and left it open in between. If you salvage things from barbarossa opening, it's a windfall but in the grand scheme of things, the border units don't matter.
6-Bigger emphasis on ramping up Russia production. No cashing out prod/industrial tech to start the inf tech early this time.

Post #: 166
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 10:36:23 AM   
KorutZelva

Oct 42

Moskow falls.

Fighting picks up in the East just before snow falls.

Germany declare war on Algeria and conquer it via Paradrop (!!!)
Luckily, the Spain DE didn't fire (50% chance per turn) and Canadian troops secure casablanca, delaying spanish entry into the war.

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 5/26/2018 10:37:33 AM >

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 167
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 5:51:13 PM   
KorutZelva

Jan '43

Saudis conquered...
The German advances North...
The Russians advances South...

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 168
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 6:53:51 PM   
room

You seem to have quality and numbers! There is a real fight going on in Russia. What about that unit count ^^

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 169
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 7:31:59 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Oct 42

Luckily, the Spain DE didn't fire (50% chance per turn) and Canadian troops secure casablanca, delaying spanish entry into the war.

When you said he was massing air units in Tunisia and had range 4 tech I figured this was Sugar's plan. I contemplated something similar in our game, but couldn't wait until I got range 4 tech. Actually I thought that Spain joining was automatic if Algiers was captured and no Allied unit in Casablanca; didn't know it was only a 50/50 shot. That 50/50 shot may end up being the difference maker in this game. Very interesting.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 170
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 8:03:26 PM   
KorutZelva

Feb '43

Unit count

(in reply to room)
Post #: 171
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 8:14:52 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Oct 42

When you said he was massing air units in Tunisia and had range 4 tech I figured this was Sugar's plan. I contemplated something similar in our game, but couldn't wait until I got range 4 tech. Actually I thought that Spain joining was automatic if Algiers was captured and no Allied unit in Casablanca; didn't know it was only a 50/50 shot. That 50/50 shot may end up being the difference maker in this game. Very interesting.

Just to confirm, the check for the DE to fire is 50% per turn once the requirements are met.

I thought it he would go along the coast or clear my ships with air then amphibiously land. I didn't know paradrops could reach it if teched enough (now long range 5 btw!)

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 5/26/2018 8:32:22 PM >

Post #: 172
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/26/2018 8:55:04 PM   
Ktonos

The Iron Curtain emerged a decade earlier it seems. Powerful armor line in the south.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 173
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/27/2018 8:40:14 AM   
KorutZelva

1943/4/8

Situation In Persia...

Allies dip a toe on the continent...

Interestingly the Axis didn't construct the Atlantic Wall. And never garrisoned any of the port towns.

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 5/27/2018 8:41:43 AM >

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 174
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/27/2018 3:56:23 PM   
PvtBenjamin

RUT RO

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 5/27/2018 3:57:03 PM >

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 175
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/27/2018 8:37:00 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin

RUT RO

You'll have to translate that.

1943/4/30

Casablanca is within strike range of the bombers but survive its bombing. Gibraltar not so much! The maritime bomber there is murderized and paradropped, meaning Franco is a couple of turn away from joining.

Tank level 5 are sighted in the East. Which is very annoying because despite the Russians being the laggard and benefiting from the catch-up bonus for 3+ years, the Germans actually increased their tech lead during that time.

Beach heads expands...

Unfortunately, I think Tank 5 will surely break the stalemate here...

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 5/27/2018 9:33:41 PM >

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 176
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/28/2018 7:59:12 AM   
Amadeus

Looks like Sugar could loose a match after a long time.

"You have to practice what you preach"(RONALD BELFORD SCOTT)

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 177
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/28/2018 10:52:12 AM   
room

I don't know. It s still a competitive game. What are the prods?

(in reply to Amadeus)
Post #: 178
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/28/2018 5:39:52 PM   
PvtBenjamin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEIMQ42-oU

(in reply to room)
Post #: 179
RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) - 5/28/2018 8:07:14 PM   
KorutZelva

May '43

Right on cue the german tanks/bombers get to work and destroy 3 Russian heavy tank. Mpp reports informs losses of 5000 for the USSR to 2000 something for the germans. Some rail cutting by paradrop, unfortunately supply should be reestablished next turn. (Don't make the same mistake I did boys and girls, get that Spy tech for the Russians!!)

Paris is liberated. French help will be welcome, mostly on the diplomatic front. Allies slowly chipping at Turkey.

Some landing snafu with the american. I declared war on the Netherlands (cost me a NM hit to the UK) but I landed in a piece of land that doesn't seem to be connected to anything (the hex between the Netherlands port and the northernmost Belgium port to be precise) For some reason it didn't let me move from there, despite no enemy ZOC blocking me and the hex next to it is listed as 'clear', so it should be passable with 1 action point.

Forgot to check axis income but Allied is

USSR 910 mpp
USA 600 mpp
UK 460 mpp
France 75 mpp (they get a boost upon liberation)

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> RE: Tourney game AAR: KZ (Allies) vs Sugar (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI