Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Future Ideas >> RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 7/15/2021 3:01:02 PM   
sol_invictus

I am certain that I am in the minority but other than The Bulge, Velikiye Luki, and Second/Third Kharkov for WWII, I would love to see a Napoleonic, Seven Years War, or Wars for German Unification series of games.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 91
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 7/17/2021 5:41:17 AM   
bcgames

As a student of Napoleonic history I can say the WEGO World War 2 game engine can support this era. I can't speak for the Seven Years War or Wars for German Unification; cuz...I am not familiar with these periods of warfare.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 92
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 8/13/2021 8:33:23 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

I would love to see a division-level WEGO game of France 1940 or the Eastern Front 1941-1945. Your game engine seems really promising but personally I prefer to manage whole theaters on the division level.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 93
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 8/13/2021 9:29:35 AM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

quote:

I think the progression of the engine looks like this:

WEGO1: Desert War 1940-42

WEGO2: Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga. Introduces bridging and pontoons, ski troops, partisans, security units, supply depots, airfields, and air transport of supplies.

WEGO3: Monty's Front: 21st Army Group. Will introduce airborne and riverine operations.

WEGO4: Title TBD...introduces expanded naval rules (amphibious operations, naval interdiction, counter-naval operations, naval supplies, etc.) Best topics for exploring WEGO4 are Narvik, Seelowe, Sicily/Salerno/Anzio or Normandy/Avalanche.

WEGO5: Title TBD...World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. I think WEGO5 is the "Operational Art of War" version of the WEGO engine. It is an amalgamation of all the terrain types, unit types, and asset types found in our "previous games" plus those missing. It would add new nations/factional units and assets...AND provide a scenario editor that includes catalogs of units and assets of for all WWII Western Europe/Mediterranean Theaters from 1939-1945...from the Invasion of Poland to the Fall of Berlin. It would also include a list of new scenarios and campaigns that explore the various aspects of these theaters. Maybe a sandbox mod at this point. WEGO5 is a game and a robust toolkit for would-be scenario designers.

Bottomline: I think expanding the capabilities of the WEGO engine takes precedence over topic. The topic chosen best supports the next set of capabilities. In the end there is a well-stocked toolkit of art resources and editors so that fans can explore their interests on the Western Fronts and easily share their scenarios with others.

I have invested in research/resources to support this progression...but what do you say? What should WEGO4 and WEGO5 introduce to the system? What should the topic of each be about?

Sell it to our readers.

Well, more importantly, to sell it to the buyers:

WEGO4 : Normandy or, if you don't feel like that Sicily / Salerno / Anzio (still think Normandy is a far better selling prospect)

WEGO5: Because sand-boxes do not sell without a solid scenario offering, depends on how ambitious you want to be. Ideally, you would pick one of each similar to previous offerings, ie, one battle from each theatre, I would probably say : from a WEGO1 perspective, Tunisia 42-43; WEGO2 perspective, Kharkov 43; WEGO3, Crete; WEGO4 would be either Normandy or Sicily / Salerno / Anzio , whatever was not done previously.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 94
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 8/15/2021 4:42:31 AM   
bcgames

WEGOWW2: Stalingrad incorporates the vast majority of user requests that were generated from the publication of Desert War 1940-42.

WEGOWW2: Monty's Front is the game-after-next and the receptacle for new ideas. Monty's Front will address the challenges of the United Kingdom versus the Third Reich from D-Day through Market-Garden to the culmination of the Battle of Walcheren Island. Towards this end, the capabilities shopping list for the WEGOWW2 game engine to enable Monty's Front are as follows:

* Airborne Operations. Select airborne drop zones, apply airborne drop scatter CRT, apply airborne drop assembly CRT, apply glider drop scatter CRT, apply glider drop assembly CRT, designate airborne supply depots in-game.

* Amphibious/Riverine Operations. Select amphibious/riverine landing zones, apply amphibious landing scatter CRT, designate amphibious supply depots in-game.

* Surrender. Under x conditions, y units will surrender. Opponent receives VPs for surrendered enemy units.

Given this time frame, situation, and area of operations, what are we missing in the game engine capabilities department?

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 95
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 8/16/2021 3:24:01 PM   
jmlima

quote:

* Amphibious/Riverine Operations. Select amphibious/riverine landing zones, apply amphibious landing scatter CRT, designate amphibious supply depots in-game.

Assume this includes the possibility of transporting combat units and loading / unloading in the landing zones?

One thing that comes to mind is moving supplies using rivers. Oh, and riverine boats capable of moving troops and supporting them with indirect fire?

(Ok, for both above, in my mind are Dinassauts and the way VM supplies flowed in rivers)

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 96
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 8/16/2021 6:19:40 PM   
Hellway

All great battles of EF (maybe cover all of the campaign), France 40 seem to be practicable with this game too, Bulge because it change a lot with weather (and I'm from belgium), not intersted by other conflict exept Vietnam or Korea...Okinawa can be good too...thanks

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 97
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 8/18/2021 3:11:55 AM   
bcgames

No worries. WEGOWW2 is about WW2.

(in reply to Hellway)
Post #: 98
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/2/2021 3:11:18 PM   
trw2264

I came upon this title just the other night and, more than likely I will be buying it.

A couple of things along the lines of "What do YOU want to see".

Unless I am missing something, I would like to see an "Opponents Wanted" dedicated section in this forum thread. I do not know how good the AI is, so playing against a human is a nice option.
Napoleonics: do you feel that the game engine could handle battalion level, 100-meter scale? Company skirmishers, forming a square to face cavalry charges, ability to counter-charge opposing cavalry, etc. in the WEGO environment or would the scale be a level above that would focus more on operations instead of tactics?

Thank you.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 99
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/2/2021 4:41:23 PM   
bcgames

On Napoleonics, the game engine could not adequately support Napoleonic Warfare at the tactical level. At the operational level (ala Kevin Zucker-like games), the game engine is more than capable of representing Napoleonic or American Civil War campaigns--especially using the Stalingrad version of the game engine/editor.

(in reply to trw2264)
Post #: 100
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/2/2021 4:48:46 PM   
trw2264

Understood and thank you for the info and prompt response!

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 101
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Future Ideas >> RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI