Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The King is Back

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The King is Back Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:11:51 PM   
Daniele

You thought lightning strikes just once? Think again! Command: Modern Operations, the sequel to 2013’s Wargame of The Year “Command - Modern Air/Naval Operations” is coming soon.

A dark UI for our dark times: Command’s user interface has been radically overhauled with a dark, sleek theme that emphasizes usability and style. In addition, Command can now be played either as a standard desktop windowed application or as a more traditional full-screen game.

Command in comfort: Hundreds of tweaks, changes and improvements on the user interface and gameplay experience directly based on player feedback. Minimaps? Check. Quickly load recent scenarios or saves? Yup. Real-time dynamic ORBATs of both friendly forces and known contacts? Yessir. Time-step sim execution to prevent “runaway sim”? Can do. Glorious victories or crushing defeats have never felt so easy to experience.

Treat your eyes while punishing your foes: Feast your vision on Command’s new smooth-flowing global map, complete with new high-resolution map layers that must be seen to be believed. More than half a terabyte's worth of imagery & terrain information at your fingertips to exploit in combat or just wander around. Optionally link up with Tacview* for real-time 3D visualization of the battlefield.

The war just got more ruthless: Don’t spend too long gawking at the pretty UI and maps, because the battlefield is even more alive and ready to crush you! Expanded ground ops let you take advantage of distinct terrain types (desert, forest, urban, swamps etc.) for mobility, weapon effects and visibility. Enhanced AI routines for dogfights and even more technical factors make your grip on air superiority more tenuous. The groundbreaking features of the “Chains Of War” campaign are now standard: Disrupt your enemy’s communications to isolate his units (but watch out for your own), perform scriptless amphibious, airdrop or pickup operations, watch as aircraft limber back shot almost to pieces and marvel at exotic new weaponry.

Jump quickly into battle, or build your own war: The new “Quick Battle Generator” lets you quickly get into the action without worrying about wider strategic or political complexities. Or use the scenario editor to put together your own dream battle just the way you want it. Enhanced scripting capabilities through the built-in Lua engine mean you can even create your own combat AIs. Think you can create your own WOPR/Joshua? Prove it!

Six years on and still the best: All the original Command official scenarios remastered from the ground up by professional scenario designer Rory Noonan (author of the “Silent Service” DLC), plus brand-new official and community scenarios to quench your mayhem appetite. Updated cold-war and modern-day databases with the latest in hardware and systems mean you’ll never run out of setups to try out. Seamlessly import and use your existing Command scenarios, saves, .inst files and more!

Command: Modern Operations. The king is back.

* Tacview not bundled with C: MO; separate purchase of Tacview Advanced Edition required.

< Message edited by Daniele -- 9/3/2019 4:35:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:21:47 PM   
Lowlaner2012

Wow... It looks awesome...

Looks like my birthday money is spoken for now 😎

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:28:22 PM   
snowflake

Cool. Do i get an update to the latest version? I already have Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations - Wargame of the Year Edition.

(in reply to Lowlaner2012)
Post #: 3
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:31:15 PM   
Drivingguy

Looks awesome, can't wait.

(in reply to snowflake)
Post #: 4
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:31:33 PM   
Uzabit

Awesome!

(in reply to snowflake)
Post #: 5
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:42:41 PM   
Doctorwarthog

Looks great.

(in reply to Uzabit)
Post #: 6
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 3:54:27 PM   
ARCNA442

So what is this? Is it an upgrade to CMANO? Or an entirely different game?

If the latter, why did the CMANO team decide to go that route over upgrading the current game? What does it mean for the future of CMANO - is support coming to an end? Will CMO be backwards comparable with the hundreds of existing CMANO scenarios?

(in reply to Doctorwarthog)
Post #: 7
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:04:12 PM   
RodionHerrera

quote:

ORIGINAL: ARCNA442

If the latter, why did the CMANO team decide to go that route over upgrading the current game? What does it mean for the future of CMANO - is support coming to an end? Will CMO be backwards comparable with the hundreds of existing CMANO scenarios?

I know this reply won't answer his questions, but to those who are familiar with the Arma series, his questions are akin to the questions asked when Arma III was announced (with the Arma II users wondering what will happen to Arma II). And thus you already know the answers to his questions (if you're an Arma player).

-RODION

< Message edited by RodionHerrera -- 9/3/2019 4:06:35 PM >

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 8
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:13:24 PM   
cscrutinizer

quote:

I know this reply won't answer his questions, but to those who are familiar with the Arma series, his questions are akin to the questions asked when Arma III was announced (with the Arma II users wondering what will happen to Arma II). And thus you already know the answers to his questions (if you're an Arma player).

-RODION

And if we aren't Arma players, is there a simple answer, or are we sucking air?

(in reply to RodionHerrera)
Post #: 9
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:15:48 PM   
AKar

Great, if somewhat unexpected news. :)

I wonder if the drop of specifier "Air/Naval" means that the level of simulation for proper ground ops will be more with the sequel. As the terrain map appears much improved, is the bathymetry improved as well for us who still like ships? In littoral combat where some naval emphasis appears to be today, higher resolution bathymetry - perhaps even ship draft being accounted for - would be benefitial.

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 10
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:23:38 PM   
ZoroastroBR

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait xD

So, coming soon means 2019?

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 11
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:24:51 PM   
Grazyn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ARCNA442

To put it simply, new features required a complete rewriting of UI and engine. Thus, making a new game from scratch was easier than trying to implement them in CMANO. For example, developers said that the much coveted "new mission planner" required a minimum of 5-7 years of development within the current game engine.

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 12
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:37:32 PM   
RodionHerrera

I have a feeling this will be a BIG debate in the coming months... on why CMO isn't an "upgrade" of CMANO (and by upgrade, meaning, current CMANO owners shouldn't pay for CMO in full and just pay a smaller amount instead because they feel they are just "upgrading" from being CMANO users), so here's my two cents. I actually like the fact that this is going to be a separate product, and I'm willing to shelve out money to get it.

The main reason I like that it's a new product is simple--it's completely re-written from the ground up, and thus the limitations of the old engine are gone--they took a more proactive route which means that this new engine looks forward and is more anticipatory of new miltech that might come out soon and need to be integrated into CMO. As a former computer science major, I do understand that sometimes, just trying to keep patching something up just to keep current or to keep bugs away, is not always a good solution--sometimes rewriting things from the ground up with more efficient code and algos can really make software shine.

Another reason is that I do like to see the old CMANO still exist as-is (and hopefully with continual support from Matrix/Slitherine/WS) because it's still a great game as it is.

One final reason why I like CMO to be a separate product is to support the devs. This is a niche product, and unlike what teenaged gamers nowadays want in a game, CMANO/CMO is not that "in demand" and thus I would think it's hard for a company like MatrixGames to really sell and market such a niche product, and they really need the support of the community so that they can keep on improving.

To those among you here who are fans of the ARMA series of games, this situation is akin to how Arma 2 users felt when Arma 3 was announced--they secretly wished that somehow, Arma 3 was just an "improvement" of Arma 2, and that they, the players wouldn't have to pay a FULL price for a new product and rather just pay a smaller fee and receive the new Arma 3 as an "upgrade"... that never happened, and I think it was for the good of the incoming product, and now it's clear that Arma 3 being a separate product that users pay separately for, was a good decision.

< Message edited by RodionHerrera -- 9/3/2019 4:38:32 PM >

(in reply to Grazyn)
Post #: 13
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:47:59 PM   
mikerohan

Looks great!

quote:

More than half a terabyte's worth of imagery & terrain information at your fingertips to exploit in combat or just wander around.

I just hope there is some kind of "terrain/downloads manager" so we do not need to keep all that data all the time in our HDDs

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 14
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 4:55:39 PM   
RodionHerrera

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikerohan

Looks great!

quote:

More than half a terabyte's worth of imagery & terrain information at your fingertips to exploit in combat or just wander around.

I just hope there is some kind of "terrain/downloads manager" so we do not need to keep all that data all the time in our HDDs

Kinda like how they manage terrains (or "scenery") in flight simulators like FSX or X-Plane 11.

< Message edited by RodionHerrera -- 9/3/2019 4:56:05 PM >

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 15
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 5:01:02 PM   
cscrutinizer

quote:

ORIGINAL: RodionHerrera

One final reason why I like CMO to be a separate product is to support the devs. This is a niche product, and unlike what teenaged gamers nowadays want in a game, CMANO/CMO is not that "in demand" and thus I would think it's hard for a company like MatrixGames to really sell and market such a niche product, and they really need the support of the community so that they can keep on improving.

Pretty much this. I'll be watching playthroughs, but I think significant changes to the game engine justify selling it as a new game. Lord knows I would like for it to be offered as an upgrade, but I don't expect it.

Post #: 16
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 5:07:02 PM   
overkill01

This is great news, and it looks great so far!!

Post #: 17
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 5:12:42 PM   
cscrutinizer

quote:

All the original Command official scenarios remastered from the ground up by professional scenario designer Rory Noonan (author of the “Silent Service” DLC)...

This makes me happy. I like his work.

(in reply to overkill01)
Post #: 18
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 5:37:16 PM   
rmwood6426

Unless this product comes out with a significant number of brand new scenario content I would never consider paying full price for this update. Most of us have already played many if not all the scenarios currently available. Also I would imagine folks who just paid $79.99 for the current game would be none to happy.

(in reply to cscrutinizer)
Post #: 19
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 5:51:09 PM   
cscrutinizer

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmwood6426

Unless this product comes out with a significant number of brand new scenario content I would never consider paying full price for this update. Most of us have already played many if not all the scenarios currently available. Also I would imagine folks who just paid $79.99 for the current game would be none to happy.

For me, the capabilities of the game engine are more important than scenario content.

Wow. My hat's off to you if you've played all the scenarios currently available. All the DLC, all the community contributions, all the tutorial content... I've just started to make a dent.

Yep. People who just bought a six-year-old game might be sad. I would be too. That's how things work IRL. New stuff comes along, usually you either pay full price, wait for a sale, or go along with the old.

(in reply to rmwood6426)
Post #: 20
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 6:01:27 PM   
Whicker

looks cool! take my money already.

(in reply to cscrutinizer)
Post #: 21
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 6:07:20 PM   
rmwood6426

I guess I should have put it differently. What I meant to say is people have already paid full price for many of the scenarios currently in the lineup. Perhaps the new version will be released with a comparable suite of new scenarios as the the original at release. In that case...a stand alone release makes sense.

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 22
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 6:15:12 PM   
TheCabal

Wow I’m excited! For sure owners would get a good discount because the description hints that we can still use the old scenarios. I guess... that owners WILL get a discount reg. TacView also. Would be a nice addition for my sims... but 62€ for the advanced edition omg...

< Message edited by TheCabal -- 9/3/2019 6:17:37 PM >

(in reply to rmwood6426)
Post #: 23
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 6:21:02 PM   
Scorpion86

If there was a line I could stand in to get CMO on launch day, I'd be there already.

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 24
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 8:04:06 PM   
Eboreg

A bit of a bummer for me since I got this game in February but given that I already blasted away more than 400 hours with it (more than I do with most other games of the same price), I feel it evens out. Of course, this does leave me wondering if there are any additions to or removals from the Database and how many of the original scenarios we'll be able to mess around with.

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 25
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 8:47:29 PM   
IainMcNeil

Just to answer some of the common questions

* All CMANO scenarios can be loaded in to CMO, so you will to play all your existing scenarios. The aim is to have CMO recognise your installed DLC for CMANO so all the content you already bought will just appear in CMO, assuming we can iron out all the technical wrinkles to make that happen!
* All base game scenarios from CMANO are being updated to add support for new features and generally improve them in CMO.
* CMO uses a new file format so while you can load up CMANO scenarios on CMO, you wont be able to take CMO scenarios back to CMANO.
* There will be a significant incentive for players who want to upgrade from CMANO to CMO, so you will not be paying the full price if you already own CMANO. Details TBD.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 26
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 8:56:02 PM   
Gunner98

This product may require a separate sub forum, I suspect there will be a lot of interest.

This is really great news, fantastic new features that show the Dev's have been listening to us; Line of Site, ground terrain, and many many other improvements. I'll never get to play another game again!

I've been playing since release date and its the best gameing investment I've ever made - ever - and I've been playing wargames for a long time. So we should probably let the Devs answer some of our questions before haranguing them over how much it will cost - I suspect that if their track record holds true it'll be worth it.

Bravo to the team.

Speak of the devil! Thanks Iain.

< Message edited by Gunner98 -- 9/3/2019 8:57:40 PM >

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 27
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 9:09:09 PM   
ZoroastroBR

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Just to answer some of the common questions

* All CMANO scenarios can be loaded in to CMO, so you will to play all your existing scenarios. The aim is to have CMO recognise your installed DLC for CMANO so all the content you already bought will just appear in CMO, assuming we can iron out all the technical wrinkles to make that happen!
* All base game scenarios from CMANO are being updated to add support for new features and generally improve them in CMO.
* CMO uses a new file format so while you can load up CMANO scenarios on CMO, you wont be able to take CMO scenarios back to CMANO.
* There will be a significant incentive for players who want to upgrade from CMANO to CMO, so you will not be paying the full price if you already own CMANO. Details TBD.

Awesome! I want to pre order NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got a rough ETA, like this year, 1 year, 2 years for release?

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 28
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 9:38:36 PM   
bradinggs

Will the standard version of TacView also work with CMO?
How long will support for current CMANO continue for?
TacView capability was mentioned in a table sometime back for CMANO, is this still happening for current CMANO users?

Looks nice though...

(in reply to ZoroastroBR)
Post #: 29
RE: The King is Back - 9/3/2019 9:43:30 PM   
Lowlaner2012

Yes I was wondering about the ETA, it's my birthday on the 28th of September...hint hint 😉

It's great to hear that all the DLC should work with the new game and there will be a decent discount for CMANO owner's...

Looking forward to CMs release..

(in reply to ZoroastroBR)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The King is Back Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI