Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/10/2001 3:08:00 AM   
RockinHarry

I would like to see one from UK/Canadian side either in NWE44/45 or Italy also. If I scratch the needed time I probably start a 5-6 battle campaign based on "Veritable" Feb-March 45. Involved units: Either 15th Scots, 3.Can Inf. or 43. Wessex..depends upon needed historical info. As a base I take D.Whittakers "Rhineland:The last battles"(?). _________ Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 31
- 8/10/2001 3:47:00 AM   
A_B

A lot of people here want Italy from the allied side. Kind of surprises me, as Italy was a very frustrating for the allies - lots of resources for a very slow advance. Why all the interest? What is the compelling element of a Italy campaign?

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 32
- 8/10/2001 10:20:00 AM   
skukko

quote:

Originally posted by Arto: Which country? I´d like more 41-43, then I would have a chance to play the Finns in Wiking. [ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Arto ]
-41 they did not much, thats why -42-43, sorry about that -44 ;) http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2130/ mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 33
- 8/11/2001 2:22:00 AM   
Saltone

I prefer long campaigns where you can alter history. I wish there were campaigns going through the whole war for every major nation, based on history, with the possibility of historic change. I would like to see some campaigns with more varied fighting/objectives - haven't seen much urban action so far, although I only just started Stalingrad. The dynamic campaigns seem to be all "hold/take the 3 hills 2/3 of the way across the map"? What happened to strategic cities/buildings/rivers/bridges/etc? I prefer to compose my own units. I think the Norway campaign would be great (being Norwegian). Another couple that leap to mind are a Marine campaign for the full war, allowing for invasion of Japan, or Jap campaign going to the West Coast. Also, a campaign with the Foreign Legion unit would be fun, although they may have stayed in Vichy France during the occupation? A campaign with Royal Marine Commandos has a lot of potential for varied, high-speed missions. Ops, no RM Commando units! D'oh.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 34
- 8/11/2001 2:31:00 AM   
Gen. Maczek

quote:

Originally posted by A_B: A lot of people here want Italy from the allied side. Kind of surprises me, as Italy was a very frustrating for the allies - lots of resources for a very slow advance. Why all the interest? What is the compelling element of a Italy campaign?
The bloody battles ! Also has just about every Allied nation involved in the fighting... Regards. Gen. Maczek [ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Gen. Maczek ]

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 35
- 8/11/2001 2:41:00 AM   
A_B

quote:

The dynamic campaigns seem to be all "hold/take the 3 hills 2/3 of the way across the map"? What happened to strategic cities/buildings/rivers/bridges/etc? I prefer to compose my own units. I think the Norway campaign would be great (being Norwegian). Another couple that leap to mind are a Marine campaign for the full war, allowing for invasion of Japan, or Jap campaign going to the West Coast. Also, a campaign with the Foreign Legion unit would be fun
The dynamic campaigns are pretty limited (very limited). Good for beginners to get a feel for things, maybe, but often as not just frustrating, such as when the italians buy 12 battleships of OffMap arty, in march of '43. Norway would make a good campaign. I think Marine campaign wouldn't be fun - just slogging from Island to Island. Playing the japs would be better. Foreign legion could be good as well (free french of course), working with LeClerk in N. Africa.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 36
- 8/11/2001 3:10:00 AM   
mcbradley

How about some theoretical eastern Pacific campaigns? How about . . . . . . a campaign to see how far the Japanese could get into the Aleutians / Alaska? Could they possibly make it to Seattle? Exercise the ol' Molsen-muscle and help the Canadians defend the Great White North, eh?! (with beer in hand, of course!) :D . . . an island-hopping campaign? I'm not talking MacArthur in the Philipines, but Yamamoto in Hawaii! . . . a West Coast campaign? Invasion USA, anyone? Bradley

Air Force Brat (Ret.)

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 37
- 8/11/2001 3:30:00 AM   
A_B

quote:

. . . a West Coast campaign? Invasion USA, anyone? Bradley
You know, this would be fun in a perverse sort of way. I live in the bay area of California. What a riot to play some battles around here...'Attack on Anchorage', 'Showdown in Seattle', Bloodbath in Santa Cruz', 'Slaughter in San Jose'. From what i understand, though, the logistics made all of this a fantasy.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 38
- 8/11/2001 3:58:00 AM   
mcbradley

Oh yea, it would definitely be fantasy! But I wouldn’t let that detract from the fun. ;) Since I’m talking fantasy scenarios anyway, I thought of another one after my original post . . . a South American campaign. Axis advance out of their bases in Argentina . . . Conquest of the Falklands, The Rumble in Rio, Siege of Santiago, the Liberation of Lima. Once the Axis conquered S.A., they could start their own island campaign through the Caribbean. Next stop, Miami! :cool: Bradley

Air Force Brat (Ret.)

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 39
- 8/12/2001 11:51:00 AM   
Rhodan

I for one would definitely be interested in playing campaigns/operations that do not deal with the (obvious) larger campaigns , like Africa or Normandy, don't get me wrong, I had great fun playing with those...but... Something with minor nations would be fun, Italy in the Balkan definitely sounds interesting, or a campaign based on a east european ally under german arms at the Russian fronts. Chindits!!! Definitely like to play in Burma. I know there is a sceneario out there done by WBW but I wouldn't mind playing a full campaign based on the actual campaigns as done in Burma Small scale city fighting would be fun. Did anyone do Caen yet in a mini-campaign? ok so I am dreaming and hoping :D [ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Rhodan ]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 40
- 8/12/2001 9:46:00 PM   
pops

How about a campaign that could be played from either side....I feel an Axis camp coming on and I'd really love an Allied one....

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 41
- 8/13/2001 3:13:00 AM   
Whitestreak

I'd like to see more campaigns from the Allied side. USMC in the Pacific The Bulge Normandy (seaborne and/or airborne) Italy Market-Garden Operation Cobra I've always preferred to play the Allies, starting with board wargames back in the early 1970's.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 42
- 8/13/2001 3:22:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by GW Roberts: Normandy (seaborne and/or airborne)
Airborne Normandy. Now, there's some real material for a campaign. Imagine first couple of scenarios starting with your troops scattered everywhere except where you expect them to be. Complete darkness, and taking objectives and v-hexes with whatever you happen to get to the right place. I'm rooting for that one. Could actually consider playing U.S. for once :D ;)

Got StuG?

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 43
- 8/13/2001 3:30:00 AM   
A_B

I've made the first few battles of a US Airborne campaign. It is based on the exploits of the 508th and the 509th - sort of combining the two into one history. It was for the whole war, starting in torch, going to sicily and italy, and then to Nomandy and then Market Garden and the Bulge. It would be a great campaign - 20 plus battles. I started it in ver. 4.5, and stopped because of all the new versions coming out. But i'll be going back to it at some point.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 44
- 8/13/2001 4:14:00 AM   
Supervisor

Sealion for now.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 45
- 8/13/2001 8:03:00 AM   
Tombstone

The Burma that WB made was historically accurate. At least as much as a steel panthers campaign can be. I wanna see a some more infantry campaigns, and/or campaigns that cover a lot of defensive battles. A 1948 Isreali independance campaign would be interesting and work well with the campaign system as it currently works. It would have to be from the isreali standpoint as a few of their units went through a lot of combat. The real key to historical campaigns is to find a unit that has a lot of battle experience.. but usually units that fought a lot did so under mostly favorable conditions. That's no fun. Tomo

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 46
- 8/13/2001 11:05:00 PM   
achappelle

A '41 invasion USA camp might work, and not be unrealistic. Gen Stilwell commanded IIICorp on the west coast and had 2 understrength infantry battalions, and figured in a crisis he could count on precisely 6 tanks as reinforcements from Fort Ord. This is when he got a warning saying that a Japanese fleet was 20 miles off the West coast. They also had about enough ammo to load their weapons once then shpoot themselves and put themselves out of their misery.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 47
- 8/14/2001 9:17:00 AM   
m10bob

Of course,i want to see St Lo,the the 1st major battle to capture a major city,(which *had* to be captured before COBRA could even start...Had all the military elements of the "classic" european/American conflict..(Fallschirmjager,SS,regular Wermacht,etc,vs the just bloodied 29th and 30th inf and the 3rd armored div,(amongst others)..IMHO,this has been a VERY neglected battle in the history of the European conflict,and it's importance has definitely been forgotten..(This was technically PRE-PATTON,as far as mainland europe is concerned and was a real slugfest involving not only the city itself,but the hills and woods outside of the city..(if nothing else,this battle could even be used as a "stepping off point" for Cobra.....Also,in a few weeks,a lot of interest is going to be fanned in the exploits of the American airborne when HBO's "Band Of Brothers" hits the tubes in september.(If ya' don't have HBO now,ya been warned-it's a series based on the Ambrose book of the same name and with Tom Hanks and mr Spielberg making it in the same vein as "Saving Pvt Ryan"....(It has spw 222's,spw 251's,spw 251/22's,pzkw iii's,pzkw iv's,Brit Cromwells,and of course,Shermans!!!!)Saw the "Making" of the series,just great....bob

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI