Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/24/2004 6:04:07 PM   
BryanMelvin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Hi Brian, i tried emailing you but got a returned email error note. So i'll just post it here. thx and keep up the good work.....!

along with Pz-IVg fix, might it be possilbe to also fix the Sherman gun penetration incongruity i mentioned prior to release? You have some 76mm armed Shermans being given a 144 max pen value, while the same tank/gun in a different OOB (example, US Marines) has a value of 124.

All sources i've tapped, most notably Lorrin Bird's Ballistics book, specifies a 124mm value for the various 76mm guns. It'd be nice if this could be corrected.

Yes, I'll check into this. Again, Pen sources vary from 122mm to 146mm for this weapon depending on ammo used and metal type tested on. I set it on the high side of sources and will look into this again.

If you could set it to 124mm and run a few test - that would help and let me know the results

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 91
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/24/2004 10:27:49 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

I have to say, I have been playing the game for years also, KG. I am well aware of the crew assault problem. When their primary weapon slot was shifted to #2, and their smoke grenades were taken, they also seemed to almost never assault. Now they not only assault, but they do so with 30% chances. I do not recall this happening in 8.0-8.1. Are you sure nothing has changed?

Goblin

I´m not aware of any code changes causing this, but I´m not informed about particular code changes for V8.2 anyway so I can´t really tell. Beside the mentioned shift of slot1 weapon, actually nothing had changed. I´ll run some tests over weekend to see what is going on.

Is there any particular nation (OOB) with over aggressive crews? Do you know of any particular "crews" over aggressive, spawned from guns, vehicles, weapon teams or seperate crews purchased from the menues (when making scenarios)?

Does the problem occur with particular settings in preferences either set on or off (national characteristics, ect.)?

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 92
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/25/2004 1:18:39 AM   
Goblin

Seems general. The Soviet crews are particularly prone to blasting tanks to bits, but I have seen others. All settings are normal.

Goblin

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 93
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/25/2004 2:13:48 AM   
Losqualo

I've started a long campaign and have the feeling that the AI is more "gamey" than before.

It might be accidental but I've noticed the following more than before:

- Trying to slaughter crews can be a bad suriprise. You shoot at them with 30% hit probability, and hit nothing. The crew shoots back with small arms, hit probability 2%, and kill 1, in the next moment 2 of your men. Range 3 hexes.

- Three routed enemy Inf platoons are in one hex. You decide to shoot at Inf Plt 1. You hit Inf Plt 2. Inf plt 2 retreats after the first shot. Your secondary (and third and fourth) weapons aren't fired. Enemy Inf plt's 1 and 3 OP fire, killing your whole attacking plt.

- An observation regarding the German PzKpfW I B: You attack an enemy Inf plt with 30% hit chance. You kill one man. The enemy plt retreats. That goes on and on. If you attack an enemy Inf plt with a 2% hit chance, you have a (estimated by me) 30% chance to kill the whole plt with one shot from the PzKpfWg I B.

- Enemy "special OP fires" are more common than special. It was a regular thing while fighting the Brits in 7.1 (special ability for that nation, as I understood it), but now it's regular while fighting any nation.

- you save some shots (mostly 2 for me) for OP fire, but your units don't OP fire while being shot at.

I'm not that much of an pro-SP:WAW-gamer, so all of the above could have happened with earlier versions also. But my personal impression is that these things have been amassed with 8.2, which often leave a frustratiing feeling for me while playing SP:WAW.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 94
The Russians still suck! - 7/28/2004 4:35:10 PM   
Major_Johnson

I play allot of PBEM games. I have one main person I play against. He always plays the Germans and I play whatever Ally is the opponent. I have yet to see the Russians make even a half an effort to make a game of it. The tanks get blown up with one shot, they almost never return fire, and they rarely if ever fire first when an enemy comes into range. Not to mention they can't hit the broad side of a barn door. I can't see how they ever turned tide against the Germans. It's mighty frustrating to watch the replays and see your guys just get mowed down without firing a shot. And this is every scenario I've ever played in any version of the game. I will say the infantry units have improved slightly. Anyone else notice this??

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 95
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/28/2004 9:01:38 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Seems general. The Soviet crews are particularly prone to blasting tanks to bits, but I have seen others. All settings are normal.

Goblin

Can you be more specific please? Are you refering to vehicle crews (3-5 personnel) or larger gun crews (personnel of 4-10)? From my tests vehicle crews start to "Retreat" (in good order=no suppression!) towards the retreat hex 2 turns later after they have bailed from their vehicles. I only observed that they "charge" towards the enemy at the turn after they have bailed and then, as said in next turn "automatically" retreat towards the retreat hex. I tried a battle Germans vs Soviets, letting the russians charge with a dozen of tanks against 2 Tigers, thus "creating" crews quickly. I had a german observer unit nearby and didn´t bother the bailed/survived crews while retreating. At the end of a game turn the AI lets the crews "retreat". When checking the crews status while retreating, you can notice they are all in good order and unsuppressed.

What are your particular observations?

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 96
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/29/2004 12:06:24 AM   
Goblin

Mainly vehicle crews, although I just had a 37mm AA gun crew assault a PzIII at 30 percent. I suppose some of the crews might have been light ATG crews. Most are small, thats for sure. I used to ignore crews and proceed forward, but now I have to kill every one of them before moving a tank. Not a big deal, just wondered if it had changed (or something else changed that caused it?). Thanks for the interest!

Goblin

Post #: 97
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/29/2004 2:22:18 PM   
Roo

Stupid newbie question, but have you checked the preferences when playing against him?

Also, what tanks does he normally use and what dates do you play over?

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 98
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/29/2004 4:35:18 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

The following scenarios as provided in the 8.2 version are unusable due to missing files:

Scenarios Missing only .DAT File:

335 TAKING TUETZPUNKT 11

and it is over one year ago that I posted that it should read Stützpunkt( singlular) , Stützpunkte = plural), not Tützpunkt. We have no Tützpunkte in the german language.

only minor but annoying. now I see that it wasnt fixed at all

< Message edited by Oliver Heindorf -- 7/29/2004 3:35:49 PM >

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 99
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/29/2004 9:02:19 PM   
Goblin

Preferences normal, and playing against who? This is versus the AI, which is mostly what I play.

Goblin

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 100
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/30/2004 12:07:52 AM   
Alby

Think hes replying to the guy who always gets toasted by the germans

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 101
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/30/2004 12:44:08 AM   
Goblin

Gotcha, just saw that feature. Thanks Alby.

Goblin

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 102
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/30/2004 2:47:16 PM   
Roo

Sorry, Goblin,forgot to specify my post was directed at Major Johnson. After all, more info will help the dev. team to find out if there is a problem in the game or not.
*edit* As I read that, it appears that the preferences seem to be set to favour the Germans somehow, with him not op-firing and getting wasted by one shell. When I started, I used to use settings of 250% for me and 30% for the AI and had that sort of luck, but I've weaned myself off that because it was pointless - I was effectively cheating. On the other hand, if it's a conflict between say T-70s and Tiger IIs, then I'm not really surprised as to the result.

Although having said that I've never seen a tank get assaulted by crews with that high a rating before either

< Message edited by Roo -- 7/30/2004 12:51:22 PM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 103
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/31/2004 4:38:37 AM   
KG Erwin

Gentlemen, you need to make up your minds. On the one hand, I hear that German opponents (those ungodly Poles!) are too tough, but on the other hand that the Germans are still overrated. Well, we fixed the Poles, but they still are not walkovers, as is proper. This was demonstrated by the experience of the Kempf Detachment (a unique mix of SS infantry and Heer panzer units) in an assault early in the war. The Panzer battalion was decimated, and had to be withdrawn.

The thing about the assault-capable crews, that's something in the code that the OOB team can't fix on their own. This would require a mech.exe change, and the OOB team can do nothing about it.

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 104
RE: The Russians still suck! - 7/31/2004 6:59:37 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major_Johnson

I play allot of PBEM games. I have one main person I play against. He always plays the Germans and I play whatever Ally is the opponent. I have yet to see the Russians make even a half an effort to make a game of it. The tanks get blown up with one shot, they almost never return fire, and they rarely if ever fire first when an enemy comes into range. Not to mention they can't hit the broad side of a barn door. I can't see how they ever turned tide against the Germans. It's mighty frustrating to watch the replays and see your guys just get mowed down without firing a shot. And this is every scenario I've ever played in any version of the game. I will say the infantry units have improved slightly. Anyone else notice this??

I hope you are playing with command control set to ON?
Otherwise your Soviet forces are having a far too easy time of it.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 105
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/31/2004 7:31:53 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Mainly vehicle crews, although I just had a 37mm AA gun crew assault a PzIII at 30 percent. I suppose some of the crews might have been light ATG crews. Most are small, thats for sure. I used to ignore crews and proceed forward, but now I have to kill every one of them before moving a tank. Not a big deal, just wondered if it had changed (or something else changed that caused it?). Thanks for the interest!

Goblin

Still wondering! Actually crews in V8.x should not be able to assault without a weapon in slot1. Could be that large crews, like those spawn by Flak or gun units have higher general aussault chnace, as assault chnace is also computed by number of crew members IIRC! The more crewmembers, the higher the assault chance. ...but as said...missing weapon in slot1 should actually prevent this.

Goblin,..If it´s a V8.x battle, can you send me the save file with attacking crews to harizan@web.de please? I´d like to investigate further.

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 106
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/31/2004 10:50:47 PM   
Goblin

Its version 8.2. I save each campaign in the same slot, but I will try to get one! Thanks again RH.

Goblin

Post #: 107
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 8/3/2004 8:11:22 PM   
RockinHarry

Did some more tests and still can´t confirm about "close assaulting" crews! Snipers and crews do if they have a weapon in slot 1. As soon as this weapon is removed there´s no more close assault and the units run away in "tank panic". Snipers have large close assault chance when dug in, as well as crews with a slot1 weapon. It´s usually way above 30%. When not dug in, it´s as low as 1% most of the time, but some successful CA are still possible though rare.

If you still encounter "Close assaulting" crews (crews close assaulting a vehicle) in V8.2, please send me a save file and I´ll investigate!

Sometimes crews won´t retreat and instead just keep sitting there. I happens when a direct path to the retreat hex is blocked. That means an enemy unit in good order sits straight between the retreating unit and the retreat hex. As said, crews are retreated by the aI automatically and...IN GOOD order (ready status). Think that´s a game feature.

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 108
RE: The Russians still suck! - 8/24/2004 7:20:23 PM   
Major_Johnson

I hope you are playing with command control set to ON?
Otherwise your Soviet forces are having a far too easy time of it.
[/quote]

Somehow I get the feeling you got the wrong impression of my post. I never play with command control on, and the Soviet forces by and large have been push overs. They rarely fire back and they can't aim for crap. It's just been a shooting gallery for my opponent. I find it very frustrating to play as them.

M.J.!

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 109
Something I noticed - 8/24/2004 7:37:17 PM   
Major_Johnson

I've been playing some PBEMs' lately. Allot actually! And I've been noticing something that I don't recall seeing in any previous version. For example, one of the scenarios I'm playing is called "The Castle", and the turns can be quite lengthy, at least an hour. When I started my last turn I had a Sherman that was routed, it had no shots or movement points. The Germans had pounded the hell out it during the replay. During my turn, whooped up on my opponent pertty good and beat back or destroyed whatever was near my Sherman. Like I said this turn took about an hour for me to take. When I was cycling through my units one last time I saw that my Sherman now had movement points and I was able to get it out of visual contact with the enemy. I've recently seen this sort of thing happen other scenarios I've been playing in 8.2. Is this a new feature, or am just noticing something that has always been a feature??

M.J.!

Post #: 110
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 8/28/2004 2:01:48 AM   
CAPT Steve Rogers

Impressions...

The M3/M5 series tanks used to have a problem in 7.x with the fire effect being that of an autocannon. Now, I see the Panther G doing it.

When I keep a Sherman company in reserve, they seem to suffer bad morale spontaneously. I'm still playing out my first campaign, the crews are all veteran or elite, but when sitting in laager, waiting to be committed, *stacked together* as platoons, randomly (it seems) a single vehicle in each stack will suddenly go from zero suppression to 80+.

Driving into buildings is a problem again for vehicles.

And with a 1.3 ghz, 368 MB ram, WinXP machine, I crash to desktop after 7 turns. *Every game*, like clockwork.

That said, I love the improvements, keep up the good work. Sorry for the rant, but I didn't see any threads for issues.

Oh, when I laod the game, it says my version number is 9.5

Velovich

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 111
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 8/28/2004 4:32:11 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: CAPT Steve Rogers

Impressions...

The M3/M5 series tanks used to have a problem in 7.x with the fire effect being that of an autocannon. Now, I see the Panther G doing it.

When I keep a Sherman company in reserve, they seem to suffer bad morale spontaneously. I'm still playing out my first campaign, the crews are all veteran or elite, but when sitting in laager, waiting to be committed, *stacked together* as platoons, randomly (it seems) a single vehicle in each stack will suddenly go from zero suppression to 80+.

And with a 1.3 ghz, 368 MB ram, WinXP machine, I crash to desktop after 7 turns. *Every game*, like clockwork.

That said, I love the improvements, keep up the good work. Sorry for the rant, but I didn't see any threads for issues.

Velovich

This kind of stuff just boggles my mind, as 8.2 (and the upcoming OOBs) run fine on a Win98 machine. In XP, you should set the game to open in Win98 compatibility mode.
On my Dell PC, which uses XP, the game runs with no problems. Glitches in the game start and other problems are solely due to the configuration of your PC--you should have the latest DirectX drivers.

My Win98 machine (my primary PC) is now 5 years old. This uses a PNY Verto 440MX video card. One thing I have found is that the newest Nvidia drivers cause screwups in some games, so I rolled back to an earlier version to fix my display problems. I think this may apply to other newer PCs. The lesson is, the newest isn't always the best for running older programs. The newer games, with their increased minimum requirements, are squeezing the lower-tech games out, as these new games require high-powered PCs. In the wargaming world, this is an ongoing problem.

The old games may no longer play properly in this environment, which leaves many classic games (SPWaW included) in danger of becoming extinct within a few years.

(in reply to CAPT Steve Rogers)
Post #: 112
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 8/28/2004 9:17:28 PM   
Riun T

Hey,Gunny I just had to mention that I run XP on a 2.0gigAMD with a gig of ram and aMSI ti4200 vid card, and I noticed that things like secondary systems and features that are runnin in the background cause most of the problems for SPWAW in all the ver. I've played I had to shutdown things like Winroute, any NORTON ANTI ANYTHING,and go to the task manager and try and concauct,a semi clean platform for the computer to crunch for steel panthers. I think that the problem of getting kicked to desktop happened to me about 4 times till I tweeked the background applications,task manager graphs the game as useing 100% of the CPU when I play,so it's not too hard for me to think that much calculating does'nt need any background stuff gobbling up resources.
Can't stress enough, check what else is runnin??!?!
My invidia drivers work fine!!

< Message edited by Riun T -- 8/28/2004 7:19:17 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 113
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/1/2004 3:57:05 PM   
Portuguese Mercenary

Well in 8.2 i like all the gaming but the stability seems to be worse than previous versions. I rarely had a CTD but it is quite often now. I hope it is connected to me playing LV megacampaign...

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 114
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/3/2004 2:30:17 AM   
KG Erwin

This CTD in newer PCs is what's bothering me. I have straight Win98 in my five-year-old PC, with a PII 400 chip, 256MB of RAM and the previously-mentioned 440MX video card, which I added, and the stock SBPCI audio card. I have absolutely no problems with CTDs, BUT, as Riun mentioned, I have no other background programs running at all, except for the essentials to keep the PC running. SPWaW is a notorious memory hog, but this is a carryover from the original DOS- to- Windows conversion.

This problem MUST be associated with the individuals' particular PC configurations. The Tech wizards will have to examine this further. Sorry, guys, I am at a loss to explain these problems.

(in reply to Portuguese Mercenary)
Post #: 115
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/3/2004 4:46:53 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Impressions...

Velovich

Where do you have that 9.5 version from?? Sounds very much like a corrupted or maybe hacked mech.exe file to me!

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to CAPT Steve Rogers)
Post #: 116
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/5/2004 3:28:45 AM   
Portuguese Mercenary

quote:

or maybe hacked mech.exe file

Who would hack an exe of a free game

Post #: 117
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/5/2004 4:30:41 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

quote:

Impressions...

Velovich

Where do you have that 9.5 version from?? Sounds very much like a corrupted or maybe hacked mech.exe file to me!

Harry, Win 2000 displays 8.2 as 9.5, for some unknown reason. I have 8.2 on my work PC, from a proper download, and it indeed shows 9.5. My second home PC uses Win XP, and the burnt-to-CD same install shows 8.2 correctly. Portuguese Mercenary doesn't have a corrupted download. There is just some weirdness happening with some newer PCs and SPWaW. The tech wizards are looking at it, but I don't think it's a problem with the mech.exe itself. I believe the truth is that SPWaW is getting too old to properly run on many of today's high-powered PCs. We knew it had to happen sooner or later, but the same problem is happening with many other older PC games.

Post #: 118
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/5/2004 8:07:17 AM   
Riun T

Hey gunny, Whats Matrix research and dev. doing to find an engine to replace the old DOS format?? U better tell me the game won't die!!!!!!!! Anyway I was just wondering because Steel Panthers really Scratches my itch, and I hope the technical and tactical nitch this game gives Vets and Civies, is never filed with tears and memories like so many others, List too long to mention.
I would assume the overhead GOD like operations of games like SPWAW has been considered to be a odvious progression to stuff like Combat Mission or Starcraft,Age of Empires/Command and Conquer, but all these other games ( I've tried most!) still don't give me the same thrill.
Guess I would say they feel sort of arcadeish and technically jouvinile and U never get what I consider the mental and equivocal of feeling like you're plans and tactics, and maybe a little deviousness added to the job your forces accomplished.
In AGE U never keep up to the advances in tec. and allways less money!
In combat Mission U get no single weopon applications all forces area fire although the veiw option is nice.
Starcraft, Warcraft,CanC, very limited application to unsurmountable AI production and advancement.
And in all these other games NO units aquire RANK,EXPERIENCE,or battle awareness to develop their special abilitys. IE scouts I'LL play SPWAW FOREVER!!!?? RT

< Message edited by Riun T -- 9/5/2004 6:10:14 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 119
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 9/7/2004 1:34:55 AM   
KG Erwin

Riun, I appeciate your sentiments. The old SPWaW engine offers scenario designers a template upon which they can expand the possibilities--for a good example, try out Fidel Helms' " I Come Creepin' " scenario. This game is simply an all-time classic, there's little doubt about that. You can play it for lifetime, and still not exhaust its potential. This is why I am honored to be a moderator here--how many classic wargames exist out there? Not many, if truth be known. As long as you can still play it on the evermore powerful personal PCs, it will thrive.

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI