Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 2/4/2002 5:57:00 AM   
V-man

quote:

Originally posted by ubertechie:
hi - has anybody had chance to get anywhere with this - am itching for feedback. Thanks Ubertechie
I downloaded it ant played the first mission, got ashore losing only three platoons while on the water. By turn 6 I was past the first cluster of houses in town, had found and mixed it up with some homeguards on the far side, in the scattered houses. No substantial infantry losses, lost five tanks, mostly to ambushes. I gotta say, the Home guards were WELL armed. Lee-Enfields, Tommy guns, Sticky Bombs, AND satchel charges. If the British could arm their REGULAR INFANTRY this well, they'd win the war without the US or France. Oh, I did that 6 turns with C&C ON. I hate to play with it off. Also, the deployment and unit selection sucks. If the troops are that few for the large sector they were given, then place them on the FAR right of the map, so they can exercise more control on the approach movement. Spreading out landing craft, with units NOT together, is suicide, C&C on OR off. I was disappointed because I thought there was a version that I could select my own force mix. Didn't see it. V-man

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 31
- 2/4/2002 6:00:00 AM   
V-man

quote:

Richmonder - C&C should be fine for every battle bar the first one - having it in will cause chaos - the landings where predicted to end up in something of a 'formation pigpile' by the Kreigsmarine - and the scenario attempts to reflect this - you are welcome to try but it may make a hard scenario virtually impossible
Let me know how you get on
Thanks
Ubertechie

PLacing the landing barges further to the right of the screen would fix this. The landing barges could angle towards their landing point before coming in range of the enemy. V-man

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 32
- 2/4/2002 1:55:00 PM   
chief

UberT de Chief-OP-050600Z
BT
Overly optimistic x draw x casualties G332-B413 x lost 2AC and 3 AFV x moral good x pressing attack to regain city
BT K

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 33
- 2/4/2002 7:34:00 PM   
ubertechie

v-man
Firstly - if u want the campaign - where you pick your own troops mail me and i will gladly send it to you - no worries Secondly "The troop selection sucks" - hey not my fault you may want to take that up with any suriving senior german officer who came up with there OOB's for infantry divisions around 1940.
This represents 2 infantry comapnies plus 2/3rd of the regiments support company (give or take) plus a full 25% of the available tauchpanzers ready at the time I will admit that the home gaurd are well equipped BUT this reflects in a way the deep hatred that was around at the time and the fanatical nature and improvised weapons that where employed - and they are a nasty suprise for the player I know it doesnt play with C&C on very well - the remainder of the campaign should - all you are doing by having it on is making a hard scenario even harder. The whole point is that the troops landed all messed up - it makes the player think more - rather than nice neat landings of platoons as they should be. I am genuinly sorry if you dont like this - its my interpretation of something that didnt happen - but is recreated from available info. If you dont like it you dont have to play it - if you do then i am afraid that intails putting up with my intepretation. Thanks for the feedback anyway - the more i hear the more i learn - although i never promised to please anyone and did this campaign because i live in the area and this has allways fascinated me (my old house is right in the middle of the large clump of buildings on the sea-shore.) Lastly - i fully respect your opinions - all i ask is the same in return - we are all here for the same thing and that is to have FUN Many Thanks
Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 34
- 2/4/2002 7:38:00 PM   
ubertechie

Chief - no you contro the town up to the canal - you are in control of one of the finest fish and chip shops in the south east - in the middle of the clump of houses - why not pop in there before you commence your assault Carry on enjoying Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 35
- 2/4/2002 8:52:00 PM   
wulfir

I think the campaign is great! Right now I’m on the third battle - advancing steadily. One tip though, in this (the 3rd) scenario the Mc – platoons and the SdKfz 222 down south are sort of trapped by the hedges lining both sides of the dirt road. I had to use the Stug’s to “open up” a route out for them. For some reason the hex with the trail leading north from this road is considered by the game to be containing hedges even though this does not show in the hex.

Semper in Primis

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 36
- 2/4/2002 9:08:00 PM   
ubertechie

Wulfir - thanks for this - missed in playtsting will fix and make available - also for all interested i have a minor change to the last battle to fix a erroneous VH spotted and reported by graesser Glad that you are enjoying it - what scenarios have you played - Hythe, Hythe Again and now Lympne ? (beach assault - reassault town and long narrow map with woods all along inital deployment area) Many Thanks Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 37
- 2/4/2002 9:45:00 PM   
brianleeprice

First thanks for making the effort, a lot of work goes in to making even one decent scenario. Especially a well researched one as yours seems to be. I outscored the AI about 4:1 on the first scenario, losing only one tank to surprise fire from a AAA position in the hills. I don't recall the exact number but my overall casualties were fairly low. When I studied the forces available and the time allowed I wrote off the rearmost victory hexes right from the start. Absolutely no point in abandoning good tactics for a suicidal rush towards objectives of relatively minor importance in this commander's view. I never did see any truckborne units, probably due to the strategy I employed from the start. Seeing that my forces were in such disarray and the enemy had multiple fortifications awaiting our arrival, I ordered the naval batteries to smoke much of the beach and ordered all landing craft to converge on the center. More time was lost waiting for the engineers to land first and find safe paths through the minefields. Once ashore, the infantry and tanks covered the engineers while they demolished the fortifications with some assistance from the RBoots. From there on, my infantry advanced using the standard bounding overwatch tactics with support from the tanks and artillery while my engineers destroyed the remaining beach defenses with aid of the RBoots. Once the main objectives and some minor ones were secured, I found that the mission plan did not allow sufficient time to reach the furthest objectives in a tactically sound manner without suffering unnecessary casualties. At that point I ordered a halt to the advance and had my forces dig in to await any counterattack. Critique:
1) The lack of player purchased core force with subsequent upgrade, experience improvement, and the neccessity of replenishment of losses leads to the temptation to sacrafice units in a rush towards the rear objectives in an attempt for a decisive victory outcome. 2) Given the nature of the landing force, there seems to be insufficient time to reach those rear objectives using what I belive to be realistic tactics. 3) The lack of a counterattack makes the last half a bit too predictable in my opinion. Once all but the rearmost objectives are secured, the last few turns are spent just waiting for the end. 4) The Home Guard seems a bit too well equipped. They also seem to be a bit too well positioned unless they had substantial warning of the landing in which case I would expect some early arriving reinforcements to be present. 5) The lack of any victory hexes in the city/town make entering it rather pointless although I did in my battle just because it seemed to be something that should be done. 6) The wide open central area seems very underdefended considering the other defenses. I expected to find that area covered by at least a pair of antique ATGs and a machine gun nest or maybe even a pair of rifle pits. 7) The outcome for a minor victory seems more appropriate to a draw. In a minor victory the landing area and beach head has been secured enough to allow followup forces to land although perhaps not the best defensive position versus expected counterattacks. Despite the critisms above, I found it enjoyable although I was a bit rankled at the outcome. If you have a version where the player can purchase a core force, I'd really like to try it. A couple of halftracks or trucks would make those rear victory hexes look *far* more attractive. If you decide to do any modifications, for what it is worth I'd suggest toning down the HomeGuard a bit in respect to equipment, but adding various reinforcements trickling in over the course of the battle. Also adding a few minor fortifications like rifle pits and maybe a machine gun nest in some areas might be nice. Hope this helps,
Brian

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 38
- 2/4/2002 10:06:00 PM   
ubertechie

Brian
Thanks for the critique .....
All very good points - i will try and answer some of them 1:I understand the point about the core force - unfortunatley the only way to do this would be with MC tools - whihc i dont have access to :-( I do have a version where you can pick your own troops but dont think it is as enjoyable as its really easy to unbalance the game. 2: It is possible to get all the VH's in a tactical manner - it just requires a certian trick - but i accept the poitn - my reasoning behind placing them there is that they are al the key entry points for a possible counterattack and as such are of value
3: The wide open central area - is a big piece of ground - now a golf course - that never had any fortification sor defense built on it - so that is historically accurate - it may need tweaking though to encrease enjoyment for the player I will seriously consider re-visiting these scenarios - once i have done the remainder of the campaigns - and hopefully by then will have learnt a lot more and be able to produce a better product The truckborne troops are another scenario - a pleasant suprise - there is no counter attack in the 1st scenario to simulate the absence of available troops and the effect of airborne landings and interdiction by naval and airborne units Thanks for the feedback - it can only help me Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 39
- 2/5/2002 1:21:00 AM   
chief

UberT, tanks for invite, but due to my poor showing in first battle my CO prefers I stick to business at hand and not fratinize with enemy. By the way keep'em coming I like them, the scenarios and the realistic approach.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 40
- 2/5/2002 2:03:00 AM   
brianleeprice

quote:

1:I understand the point about the core force - unfortunatley the only way to do this would be with MC tools - whihc i dont have access to :-( I do have a version where you can pick your own troops but dont think it is as enjoyable as its really easy to unbalance the game.

Well, you could just give a TOE to the player and say 'Use this as your core force if you want a realistic game'. It is then up to the player. As for the golf course, aha - makes more sense now - hmm maybe some text 'Golf Course' Perhaps a couple of hastily placed mines and a couple near obsolete ATGs and MGs in the course's sand bunkers? Just a thought - actually I think you may have had an MG near there but my bombardment scared them away. Hmm, in 28 turns, using bounding overwatch - you can basically progress 28 hex distance. That assumes immediate landing, movement, and no protracted engagements. Now you can have your bounding units move faster, perhaps even doubling the effective distance per turn - but then you are getting into risking serious casualties and outrunning the overwatch section's field of fire, especially without any recon units in the force. I was under the impression that GE attached at least a section of recon to an infantry company, surprising that the planners of Sealion did not do so. Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 41
- 2/5/2002 2:57:00 AM   
ubertechie

Brian - again - thanks for the comments - am fo to add a little soemthing to the area .... Could of added recon troops - but dont know much about there use in landings - not sure they where used on d-day or inhte pacific or in italy - as you want heavy troops on the beach straight away - if i am wrong let me know. Chief - Sorry to hear that you are suffering at the hands of a task master - he doesnt know what he is causing his troops to miss :-) Thanks for the support Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 42
- 2/5/2002 5:37:00 PM   
V-man

quote:

v-man
Firstly - if u want the campaign - where you pick your own troops mail me and i will gladly send it to you - no worries Ubertechie

PLease - Velovich@aol.com

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 43
- 2/5/2002 5:41:00 PM   
V-man

quote:

v-man
I know it doesnt play with C&C on very well - the remainder of the campaign should - all you are doing by having it on is making a hard scenario even harder. The whole point is that the troops landed all messed up - it makes the player think more - rather than nice neat landings of platoons as they should be. I am genuinly sorry if you dont like this - its my interpretation of something that didnt happen - but is recreated from available info. If you dont like it you dont have to play it - if you do then i am afraid that intails putting up with my intepretation. Thanks for the feedback anyway - the more i hear the more i learn - although i never promised to please anyone and did this campaign because i live in the area and this has allways fascinated me (my old house is right in the middle of the large clump of buildings on the sea-shore.) Lastly - i fully respect your opinions - all i ask is the same in return - we are all here for the same thing and that is to have FUN Many Thanks
Ubertechie

Oh, it's fun game, but I just didn't like the initial troops or deployment. WRT C&C - It plays with C&C *fine*. I NEVER turn it off unless I'm playing a human opponent that won't use it. REAL men play with C&C on. V-man

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 44
- 2/5/2002 5:47:00 PM   
V-man

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Price:
First thanks for making the effort, a lot of work goes in to making even one decent scenario. Especially a well researched one as yours seems to be.

Ditto. I'm sorry I came off disappointed, it's a good map at the minimum. The challenge for me is building up the same unit over time, which Brian agrees with (I think).
quote:

Brian Price:

5) The lack of any victory hexes in the city/town make entering it rather pointless although I did in my battle just because it seemed to be something that should be done.

I deliberately angled my landcraft to the town, to land in front of it. Once there, with smoke isloating the defenders from each other, I didn't lose ANY troops until I got to the shingle. The town provided cover for an advance inland by-passing the other defenders and making them deal with my movement. V-man

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 45
- 2/6/2002 12:28:00 PM   
chief

UberT de chief-OP-060000Z
BT
Marginal at Hythe X Casualties G254-B444 X 4AFVs disabled X Moral excellent X Heavy losses to RAF X Pressing on to Dymchurch
BT K

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 46
- 2/6/2002 11:01:00 PM   
Jeff_Ewing

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Price:
A couple of halftracks or trucks would make those rear victory hexes look *far* more attractive.

One thing that might be fun, and a good use of the "teleporting reinforcement hexes" so despised by some players, would be to have a unit of bicycle infantry or a civilian bus "appear" in the town. This would simulate scrounged-up transport. The Germans actually did this in Norway.
quote:

If you decide to do any modifications, for what it is worth I'd suggest toning down the HomeGuard a bit in respect to equipment

The Home Guard equipment is per TOE, but like you, Brian, I wonder if it was ever acheived. IIRC the Home Guard was drilled to shove short lengths of railroad rail into tank treads to disable enemy vehicles. Not a tactic I'd like to attempt! A terrific campaign, ubertechie, and one to be proud of. Jeff

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 47
- 2/7/2002 12:47:00 AM   
ubertechie

V-man - will send this to you - as soon as i sought my life out - having quit my job today and thus lost my lovely dell latop - i am moving everything to my pc at home... - graesser has it if u want it sooner Chief - i think you are the first to go to the dymchurch node - that old 'battle' bombed you then - I would take that up with the Luftwaffe - carry on enjoying Jeff - thanks for the feedback - where are you now ? still at hythw - love the bus idea And for the rest of you - i am going to tweak this and re-release it and now i am jobless should have loads of time on my hands - and crack on woth the other related campaigns and for fun playtest M4's japanese invasion - which is v.interesting Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 48
- 2/7/2002 2:46:00 AM   
Jeff_Ewing

quote:

Jeff - thanks for the feedback - where are you now ? still at hythw - love the bus idea

To my sorrow, I managed only a draw at Hythe landing (I must have stumbled into every single Home Guard unit on the board!), so I'm going to have to go back over the canal and take on those blockhouses (which my engineers were *entirely* unsuccessful at destroying) again. As another poster noted, I don't think this is unfair or illogical: the troops I had left at the end would have been entirely insufficient to hold the area they had captured.

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 49
- 2/7/2002 3:51:00 AM   
ubertechie

Okay all - just to prove i listen to you - i have just changed this campaign from your feedback. Changes are: ****Spoiler warning on all points **** 1:Hythe - void area in middle is no longer void. Home gaurd units are not so heavily armed. Slight changing in placement of a few units. Addition of a ammo dump worth 200 in the main town area to 'encourage' people to go through it.
And a few other things to make it a little bit tougher because i'm mean 2: Lympne (south and east) - changed hedges on southern road so they dont prevent soft vehicles moving along it. Toughend up rear echolon defences. 3: Ashford - fixed victory hex to be 105 points at end of battles rather than per turn - as spotted by graesser Hope that keeps you chaps happy Will get this to seb and get him to upload the new version Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 50
- 2/7/2002 6:10:00 PM   
ubertechie

The new version is now available for download (follow link at bottom of message). Many thanks to seb for hosting this and a great sight Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 51
- 2/7/2002 10:01:00 PM   
AC

quote:

The new version is now available for download (follow link at bottom of message). Many thanks to seb for hosting this and a great sight Cheers Ubertechie
Hi UBertechie! Since I'm in the middle of battle 1, can I overwrite the campaign files with the new ones or is it better to start again? AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 52
- 2/7/2002 10:03:00 PM   
ubertechie

AC
Its up to you - i wouldnt recommend doing it mid battle - maybe at the end of the first battle save on your turn 28 (last turn) then drop them in - however - the new 1st battle is much improved so if you want to i would recommended restarting Thanks for the support
Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 53
- 2/8/2002 6:23:00 AM   
chief

Uber de Chief-P-072200Z
BT
Lympne has fallen X Botolphs Bridge ours X Dymchurch holding X High casualties X Pressing attack X Little time left X This message sent in the clear some Taliban stole my Omega machine
BT K

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 54
- 2/8/2002 1:26:00 PM   
chief

UberT de chief-OP-080600Z
BT
Draw at Dymchurch X Heavy opposition X losses G195-B156 X Continuing advance X Home guard defient
BT K

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 55
- 2/8/2002 3:51:00 PM   
ubertechie

Chief - darn taliban - didnt know they operated in 1940 :-) looking at the time of your posts it seems that i am responsible for several mising hours of your life - i hope that they have been enjoyable Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 56
- 2/11/2002 7:01:00 PM   
ubertechie

From the lack of further reports - am i too assume that the tommies have crushed al of your efforts to invade my comrades - or are you all stuck in the midst of some struggle in the fields of kent ? Or maybe you are all bored of me Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 57
- 2/12/2002 8:07:00 AM   
chief

UberT: Sorry this station tempoarily out of order, Propretor/Operator on leave from the front.
Keep the faith "I shall return". Now where have I heard that before ???

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 58
- 2/13/2002 12:23:00 PM   
chief

UberT de Chief-P-140500Z
BT
Draw on Dymchurch X Home Guard Deadly X Heading for Brenzett
BT K

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 59
- 2/13/2002 4:24:00 PM   
ubertechie

Chief - good news - latest intel reports that home guard morale has dropped and that you should expect to meet little or no reistance from there ranks - however there seems to be an increase in the readiness of the line troops in your area Thanks Ubertechie

(in reply to ubertechie)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI