Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

combat system

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> combat system Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
combat system - 4/15/2005 3:30:01 AM   
Jagger2002

Hi All,

This looks like a very interesting game. I am looking forward to the release.

I am curious about the combat system considering the game is WeGo.

I understand the scale is 100 meters per hex with 10 minute turns according to your website.

Just making a rough guestimate, I am guessing an infantry unit could move 800 meters per 10 minutes at a walk. The Napoleonic musket had an effective volley range of maybe 100 meters. So theoretically a line of battalions could start a charge at 8 hexes and reach contact at the end of a single 10 minute turn. With effective ranges of 300 to 800 meters, the advancing columns could suffer artillery fire for a substantial portion of the advance.

So would artillery get shots in a phased manner as infantry advances?

Often infantry charges were not decisive, instead degenerating into standup firefights for some time before one side or the other pulled back. Are infantry firefights also phased in terms of impact on morale, organization and casualties?

So I guess summing up my question is whether firepower is phased throughout the 10 minute turn?

I am also curious about morale resolution. I have always been a bit fascinated about why troops will sometimes perform super heroic charges and other times simply break. It seems to me morale is a dynamic factor. There may be an average unit morale, yet a unit's morale could go up to heroic states or drop to cowardly levels. Success of a unit or nearby friends seems to increase morale temporarily. Strangely some morale affecting factors can cause either a positive or negative impact such as extreme fatigue. Sometimes extreme fatigue produces a unit that reduces to retreat or advances relentless-others times they just quit. Somedays, casualties seem to make units just mean rather than making them want to run. Not only does it seem morale is dynamic, the same cause can produce opposite or varying results depend. Once in combat, morale seems very unpredictable amonst most units.

So would you be able to describe a little of how combat morale is handled. Is it also phased throughout the 10 minute turn?

Again, I am looking forward to this game.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 4/15/2005 3:33:52 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: combat system - 4/15/2005 5:59:00 PM   
Tim Coakley

The game ticks off a series of pulses and units execute actions as their "action point" comes around. Units can shoot several times in a a turn with this system.

Casualties cause combat fatigue in addition to losses in men. This Combat Fatigue "CF", is a factor in the morale formula.

Movement Fatigue is as well. The "heroic" moments are when tired troops don't retreat/route when expected.

Units are Tagged for a morale test when they suffer a significant event or ehen they attempt to execute certain actions such a charging.

A unit undergoes a series of tests in which failure runs along the lines of, fall back, retreat, then route.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 2
RE: combat system - 4/16/2005 9:03:44 PM   
steveh11Matrix

That sounds like something straight out of a miniatures rulebook - good, is all I can say to that!

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 3
RE: combat system - 4/16/2005 10:28:21 PM   
Tim Coakley

Steve,
I was never a miniatures gamer (cost and time!) but I did do research with many rules sets to capture so of the feel. There were many great game mechanics.

Tim

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 4
RE: combat system - 7/13/2005 10:58:57 PM   
ezjax

???

< Message edited by David Heath -- 7/14/2005 6:43:29 AM >

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 5
RE: combat system - 7/14/2005 8:35:50 PM   
Capt Cliff

Is this game a WEGO system or a you-go me-go system?

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to ezjax)
Post #: 6
RE: combat system - 7/15/2005 11:44:31 PM   
Le Tondu

This game is a we-go system.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 7
RE: combat system - 7/16/2005 4:35:01 PM   
Jagger2002

Will units appear to move as in Combat Mission? Will I see a dynamic simultaneous flow of units across the map with combat occuring over time as other units move into position? I am thinking something like Combat Mission.

Or will I see one unit move, then a second unit move and then a third unit move, etc as each completes a portion of their phases? Some sort of sequential phased movement and combat resolution, unit by unit?

Both systems are "we go" but they certainly appear different.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 8
RE: combat system - 7/18/2005 5:03:53 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

Will units appear to move as in Combat Mission? Will I see a dynamic simultaneous flow of units across the map with combat occuring over time as other units move into position? I am thinking something like Combat Mission.

Or will I see one unit move, then a second unit move and then a third unit move, etc as each completes a portion of their phases? Some sort of sequential phased movement and combat resolution, unit by unit?

Both systems are "we go" but they certainly appear different.

The way that I see it Jagger2002, your second example is not a we-go system. This game is a we-go system where LOTS of things will happen sequentially little by little which will produce a visual simultaneous flow like combat mission. That is my take from what I've read here.
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 9
RE: combat system - 7/19/2005 4:15:26 AM   
Tim Coakley

Rick is on the money. The game executes pulses and units will move/act when they are designated. A unit will not move 8 hexes, for example, when it has an impulse, but will move 1 hex and then the game will continue resolving actions.

It allows for ebb and flow...with combat occuring as needed. I just ran a test with two brigades approaching a village from opposite sides. The Franch arrived first, by a small margin, because the British encountered "unfortunate delay" of +1 Action Point (a 10% random chance per hex).

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 10
RE: combat system - 7/24/2005 9:59:07 AM   
kc_chiefs

Interesting Tim - can you describe a cavalry charge to us? Can infantry form square when cavalry gets near? What was the criteria for such a change of formation? 1:1 cav vs. inf., 1:2? What if 100 cavalry charge 800 infantry. Will the infantry try and square?

Countercharges?

Bill Peters

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> combat system Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI