Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Free strategy games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Free strategy games Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free strategy games - 5/28/2008 8:44:43 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

OK got the game, but it gives me no options what to do to move my army. Do you have any suggestions?

Click Help menu, then Help, read on.

The game is useless. I read everything and I can't get anything to move or go into the city. Oh well.

Movement is done by keys QWEADZXC. For everything else, RTFM (Read The Fine Manual)

quote:

That is way too complex for me and no matter how hard I try I am not able to figure it out and no one wants to take the time to explain it to me without getting frustrated because they think I'm a nimrod for not knowing how to do it. My question is: how the hell did you all learn how to do it?

These are few things what you need to know:
1. How game works, how its PBEM works, and where the PBEM files go (see game manual)
2. If there are more than 1 file for PBEM, learn to use file packing programs, like WinZip or WinRAR. Windows XP and Vista have built-in program that can create and handle *.zip files.
3. Learn to use e-mail and e-mail attachments. Easier alternative for e-mail programs are WWW based sites which actually work. Gmail has been recommended by many, though personally I still use Yahoo! Mail just becouse I found it first.

As for how I learned all that, it was a long time ago and sometimes darn frustrating. First file packing program I used was ARJ, that is used by text commands. Basics of Internet (e-mails included) was taught in schools, and I learned something there. For PBEM I had read SPWAW game manuals. Over the time most of the stuff became routine.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 91
RE: Free strategy games - 5/28/2008 10:36:26 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

I know for a fact that it can be as easy as simply doing a turn and sending the turn to the other player directly without having to atach files to other files and adding files to different files in another type of file and creating new files. That is way too complex for me and no matter how hard I try I am not able to figure it out and no one wants to take the time to explain it to me without getting frustrated because they think I'm a nimrod for not knowing how to do it. My question is: how the hell did you all learn how to do it?

Trial and error. When I got my first pc in the early 90s I got brief instructions on how to use the dos and then went on to try it myself. The first thing I did was install all games to the root folder of C. After making a mess I deleted bunch of dos files and almost wiped out operating system. Luckily my friend copied me the missing files so I didnt need to learn instantly how to reinstall computers operating system.

Nowadays though there is a big easy way to do it. Just google what you want to know and presto. Youll find plenty of answers.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 92
RE: Free strategy games - 5/29/2008 5:00:44 PM   
panzers

The problem for me is there are too many files in too many different locations and when someone says to put it in winwar, or winzip or other places like that, I don't even know what those are. So, for me, I would have to literally have someone guide me through the phone. If someone were to do that for me, you would have a WiF player guarenteed for life because that is all I'm ever gonna play for probably years.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 93
RE: Free strategy games - 5/29/2008 9:36:05 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

The problem for me is there are too many files in too many different locations and when someone says to put it in winwar, or winzip or other places like that, I don't even know what those are.

WinRAR and WinZip. Those are programs that can put many files and directories (or folders) into one file (called pack), and pull those files and directories out of them (called extract). You can recognize packed files from file extension: .zip for WinZip and .rar for WinRAR. Other packed file extensions are .cab .arj .lhz .lha and then some, but they are minority compared to .rar and .zip

quote:

So, for me, I would have to literally have someone guide me through the phone. If someone were to do that for me, you would have a WiF player guarenteed for life because that is all I'm ever gonna play for probably years.

Isn't there anyone who could just make visit at your place and guide you through? Anyways installing those programs shouldn't be any more difficult than installing WiF or any other program. Both programs have extensive documentation too.

By the way, did you got Empire working? Did you notice that file name (you downloaded) is empirebin.zip ? If you got it working from that, you know how to extract packed files. Tell me how did you do it, and maybe I can guide you through how to make packed file yourself.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 94
RE: Free strategy games - 11/7/2008 7:32:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

Command & Conquer Red Alert

If you are an RTS nut and missed this classic, now is bleeding time to try it out

Would you like to know more?

Command & Conquer

The original, no bleeding 2, 3, Red Alert, or any other sequel.

Would you like to know more?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 11/7/2008 8:20:42 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 95
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Free strategy games Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI