Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Greatest game since Steel Panthers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Greatest game since Steel Panthers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/5/2010 8:17:10 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok I am admittedly biased, but considering I am a die hard fan of Steel Panthers, have played every flavour of Steel Panthers in addition to every tactical turn using squad level/individual vehicle type wargame ever made (worth mentioning), I can at least know what it is up against.

That and I have had the pleasure of playing it all summer already :)

I stand by the boast, this game will be an easy equal to others of our hobby we love to play.

Granted, you can never please the truly anal in wargaming, so I am not really worried that the detail and accuracy freaks in our hobby might be aghast that every single solitary vehicle ever made or even contemplated might not be present.

But when you get past that point, you get to realize this might be the most fun actually easy to play and easy to enjoy wargame in 10 years for this scale of simulation.

This title is simple in the same way Chess is simple.
Laugh off the 'simplicity' only when you've played it versus a human.
The AI is not to bad though. Not as good as a human, but that's not saying anything revolutionary in the first place.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/5/2010 9:38:47 PM   
Josh

Not convinced yet, it looks extremely cartoony to me.
Maybe I'll try the demo when it comes out.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/5/2010 11:28:26 PM   
jomni

Actually the cartoon graphics made me buy this.  I just love the art.
But under the hood, it's seems realistic and tactically challenging.  Tanks have no life bars... it's all about hit chance and penetration.
It's like beer and pretzel Panzer General meets tactical-level Steel Panthers.
Yes two greatest titles in wargaming but this is the best I can think of.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 3
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/5/2010 11:54:46 PM   
Smeghead

I agree, I like the graphics and the cut-scenes and campaign info.

They could put out a graphic novel.
Definitely reminds me of SP.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/6/2010 3:02:13 AM   
Barthheart

Fun game. Easy to play. Great buy.

Steel Panthers Light is my call for this game.

I want to play the Axis though........

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 5
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/6/2010 3:31:28 AM   
junk2drive

You can play Axis. In multiplayer or see the post at Slitherine about modding sides.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 6
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/6/2010 3:40:09 AM   
gijas17

So how does this game relate to the Panzer Command series? More importantly to Kharkov? I love that series since Winter Storm came out in 06 and since the huge patch they keep promising for that game never gets released I started to look elsewhere for something similar. Is there any infantry combat or just tanks?

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/6/2010 3:42:16 AM   
Krec

ok,  fill me in .   whats all the fuss about?

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 8
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/6/2010 3:43:23 AM   
junk2drive

This game has IGOUGO turns on squares, somewhat isometric 3D, and PC is WEGO, full 3D. PC is more detailed.

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 9
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/6/2010 4:17:08 AM   
sabre1

The game is fun, easy to navigate. I too wish you could play the Germans, but I'm SURE Slitherine will not miss that expansion.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 10
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 1:26:42 AM   
Duck Doc

IIRC isn't Steel Panthers way more realistic than BA?

It looks to me like Battlefield Academy is an arcade game. The screen shots make it look like there are only tank knife-fights. Didn't SP show that tanks do better as stand-off weapon platforms? The screen shots of BA remind me of real-time games I have played. Maybe there should be health markers on the tanks? I understand from previous posts that infantry has no anti-tank capability. Leaves me scratching my head. I am no grognard. I loved Panzer General but I am scratching my head over this one.

I am not trying to provke here but only to try to understand why you would equate BA to SP & not to more arcade-like games. Now if you said it was the greatest game since Panzer General I would probably bite because I would want to see if it was true.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok I am admittedly biased, but considering I am a die hard fan of Steel Panthers, have played every flavour of Steel Panthers in addition to every tactical turn using squad level/individual vehicle type wargame ever made (worth mentioning), I can at least know what it is up against.

That and I have had the pleasure of playing it all summer already :)

I stand by the boast, this game will be an easy equal to others of our hobby we love to play.

Granted, you can never please the truly anal in wargaming, so I am not really worried that the detail and accuracy freaks in our hobby might be aghast that every single solitary vehicle ever made or even contemplated might not be present.

But when you get past that point, you get to realize this might be the most fun actually easy to play and easy to enjoy wargame in 10 years for this scale of simulation.

This title is simple in the same way Chess is simple.
Laugh off the 'simplicity' only when you've played it versus a human.
The AI is not to bad though. Not as good as a human, but that's not saying anything revolutionary in the first place.

< Message edited by Dale H -- 8/7/2010 1:27:10 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 1:40:03 AM   
junk2drive

Regular infantry can have AT weapons. Bazooka teams as well. Engineers are really good at taking out tanks.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 12
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 1:42:54 AM   
junk2drive

It is definitely a fun game. It is dice rolls so to speak, not overcomplicated computations. I've played a lot of Steel Panthers and this is not as detailed as SP. But it is a cute, fun, WWII theme, 3D, game. Game being the important word.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 2:41:20 AM   
PipFromSlitherine

It's not super detailed, but it has data for deterioration of penetration over range, 4 armour facing values per unit, to give a couple of examples. It's been designed to be simple to play, and not too offputting to look at, but the model is fairly detailed.

Having said that, I'd be shocked if someone doesn't add in a load of additional Groggy data and tweak the model scripts, all to compete over who can build the most accurate mod :)

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 5:33:50 AM   
jomni

The game does not have life bars for tanks. It models chance to hit, penetration, and armor values. But it is not a grognard game. Just a lite one. But it poses several realistic tactical considerations which can satisfy even serious wargamers.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 15
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 8:10:48 AM   
IainMcNeil

We only have live and dead states by design but adding in damaged states such as immobilised, weapons destroyed etc could be easily done by a mod. Basically the only limit is your imagination - and time :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 16
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 12:38:36 PM   
DBeves

I think this is an excellent game.

It suggests quality from the moment you boot it up.

OK it is not steel panthers - its not meant to be. There is a whole lot more that can be done with this and hopefully slitherine and modders would do so. I think - wargames wise there would be a big market for a more realistic version of this.

But I take my hat off to the programmer on this - its very nicely done - and there is more than enough depth srtrategy wise to keep me interested.

One question to Ian though ...

you seem to suggest almost anything is possible...

So -for example - could I add ammunition count and limits for the various units - just how moddable is it /

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 17
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 1:53:47 PM   
IainMcNeil

Yes ammo could be easily added as could fuel, ammo dumps, supply units, fuel trucks. You could create a factory unit that could build new units. You could have resource collection. We choose not to do these things because of the design we wanted to create but all this could be done by modders without needing a single line of code added. This is what we designed the engine for - to let you mod it to be anything you want.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 18
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 1:57:44 PM   
Duck Doc

Good info! Thanks for the input Les & Junk & Pip & Ian. Count me in.

Post #: 19
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 1:57:45 PM   
Paul Wykes

I`ll ask an obviois question. I assume it could be modded for a sci-fi setting, a la Xcom ?
Obviously lots of graphics assets would be required, but I imagine in theory, it could?

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 20
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 2:10:19 PM   
IainMcNeil

Xcom is the inspiration for the gameplay system we have set up. It could easily be modded with a bit of sci-fi art t do that :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Paul Wykes)
Post #: 21
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/7/2010 2:15:40 PM   
Paul Wykes

That what I thought

It really does emphasise the modding capabilities.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 22
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/8/2010 1:43:32 PM   
jomni

I would want a modern conflict mod. NATO vs. Warsaw, Arabs vs. Israel (we have a desert map already). :D
But I can't do the modding since I don't have a 3D program.

(in reply to Paul Wykes)
Post #: 23
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/9/2010 9:51:26 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

It looks to me like Battlefield Academy is an arcade game. The screen shots make it look like there are only tank knife-fights. Didn't SP show that tanks do better as stand-off weapon platforms? The screen shots of BA remind me of real-time games I have played. Maybe there should be health markers on the tanks? I understand from previous posts that infantry has no anti-tank capability. Leaves me scratching my head. I am no grognard. I loved Panzer General but I am scratching my head over this one.

The game is not even close to RTS.  If it was, I would have never played it.  The last RTS I had the unfortunate pleasure of playing was CoH and I threw the damn thing out my window.

Infantry can still take out tanks if they have Satchel charges.  Other units may have grenades, dynamite, etc. 

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 24
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/9/2010 2:54:54 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

RTS? hehe heck no. This is as turn based as turn based gets.

Tanks ARE best as stand off weapons, and you learn this the second you forget it and thing infantry can't get you.

Oh they can get you alright. I lost my armour early one game, and my infantry looked kinda naked to that enemy armour. But they got too close, and I snuck up real nice like and presto no armour.

There is a move mode called 'hunt', it makes a difference. Moving full speed with anything is done at your own risk.

As for anti tank, played plenty of game with zooks. Hey, in the real thing, you didn't have anti tank assets dripping off every last private eh. You get as much as you get. Don't waste them. Half track or tank, hmm which to attack.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 25
RE: Greatest game since Steel Panthers - 8/9/2010 4:30:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Glad to see you are enjoying this - I regret that I was away during the release as I've been very excited about this one for months. I think it's the best introductory wargame to come out in a long time but it's not just beer and pretzels. It has enough tactical gameplay and content for veteran wargamers too. The multiplayer system is a major bonus - I think anyone who likes wargaming will really get their money's worth out of Battlefield Academy.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Greatest game since Steel Panthers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI