Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How much

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: How much Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How much - 12/8/2010 9:04:51 PM   
wiking62

Fairly disappointed with the price. I thought it was going to be around the £40-£45 mark. Not for me too pricey.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 181
RE: How much - 12/8/2010 9:54:28 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhak

104$ for digital download.. Gotta love living in EU. I guess i'll be waiting past christmas.

Yeah, gotta love the EU. By the way, how is that fair and wonderful VAT working out.

Hopefully we can stop our slow slide into becoming like Europe(my home country is the USA, only spend part of the year in the UK). Good luck on getting the game soon.

< Message edited by parusski -- 12/8/2010 9:59:50 PM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to roflbinflood)
Post #: 182
RE: How much - 12/8/2010 10:24:40 PM   
Nikolaj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
Well, that's not strictly speaking 100% true, if you're unlucky.

What do you mean?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 183
RE: How much - 12/8/2010 10:29:56 PM   
parusski

quote:

Zemke_4

Zemke_4, right back at ya. I still have Fire in the East in my game room, all set up. Another game that's been set-up for years is "The Campaign for North Africa", SPI. I have two sets of each game, one ready to play and the other...never opened. People have offered a lot of money for those unopened games.

Anyway, the thread is no longer fun with so little whining. So I will get my entertainment by returning to the perfectly priced WitE and my approaching victory over the Slavic hoards.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 184
RE: How much - 12/8/2010 11:21:32 PM   
elmo3

I was hoping the price would be a lot higher.  

As it is I worked for about 10 cents and hour.  Some others like Andy probably were working for 1 cent an hour.  If they had jacked up the price it would have been easier to justify all the time I spent to my wife.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 185
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 12:02:00 AM   
hgilmer3

The way I look at it is this game is twice the price of other games I've bought, but I'll play it way more than twice as long as I've played other games.  I paid about $30 for a game recently and have played it about 3 hours.  Not really worth it for me.

This game will work out to a much better time for amount paid.  So, in reality, the $30 game was not worth it.

Edit: Plus, I'll actually ENJOY playing this game as I'm playing it.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 186
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 12:40:12 AM   
Phatguy

Its going to be a shade over 94 dollars for me...Thats with the manual. While I have never spent that much on a pc game I have dropped more on board games.....If I get anything approaching 60 or so hours(and I see no reason I shouldn't) I will be content. My threshold for good entertainment is about $1.25
per hour...

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 187
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 1:42:20 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Judge? You bought this game after you balked so much about the price of BftB? I am really surprised.

Different scope of content.
It's easier to justify the price to a monster game than to a game set on one operation.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 188
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 3:02:54 AM   
parusski

quote:

elmo3

Your spot on elmo3. But I am using a slightly different approach with my wifey. Since I spent such a HUGE amount on a game, it would be foolish not to play it. She does not like wasting money(meaning me indulging in my hobbies) so I will most likely be allowed to play for hundreds and hundreds of hours before she decides to put a stop to the madness.

Or do you think I am fantasizing??

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 189
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 3:48:36 AM   
Phatguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

elmo3

Your spot on elmo3. But I am using a slightly different approach with my wifey. Since I spent such a HUGE amount on a game, it would be foolish not to play it. She does not like wasting money(meaning me indulging in my hobbies) so I will most likely be allowed to play for hundreds and hundreds of hours before she decides to put a stop to the madness.

probably fantasy.....

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 190
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 4:27:47 AM   
colberki

Price is lower than I expected! Hope this does not mean that quality of printed manual is reduced.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 191
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 5:54:11 AM   
LiquidSky

I told my wife that all guys have hobbies. Mine doesnt involve Golf paraphenalia, fees and weekends away from the house.

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 192
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 9:48:22 AM   
diablo1

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

elmo3

probably fantasy.....

more like highly exaggerating.....

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 193
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 12:48:17 PM   
htuna

arrrrrgh.. pulled the trigger!!!. First time I've ever spent this much on a game!!!.. but it looks Sooooo Gooood!.. Russian Front here we come!

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 194
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 1:36:40 PM   
paullus99

Add to the initial release - you'll also get access to all of the user-created scenarios & artwork that are sure to be created (at no charge to the player). As any economist would say - it is all about "opportunity cost" what you are willing to pay vs. what else you could purchase for the same amount.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 195
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 6:31:06 PM   
diablo1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

arrrrrgh.. pulled the trigger!!!. First time I've ever spent this much on a game!!!.. but it looks Sooooo Gooood!.. Russian Front here we come!

lol cmurphy I thought you could resist if anybody could. This is getting just like Invasion of the Body Snatchers....oooohhh I see a POD! I must not goto sleep....no sleep.....(silence)

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 196
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 7:10:25 PM   
Plainian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

£65 is over my "normal" limit of £50 for a game - but I was expecting it this time and also held off purchases of other games in order to get this

Bearing in mind that the price includes 17.5% VAT (UK tax), a physical copy and delivery,

Have you checked that? The download only option cost me £53.99 plus VAT, total £63.44.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

VAT is included before the final purchase. Please e-mail me with your order info if you have questions.

Regards,

- Erik

Hmm not convinced. It looks like VAT is not being added for the physical copy on purchase? So I'm tempted to order the boxed and hope that it doesn't get stopped by the Customs/Post Office. Since its coming from within the EU then its pretty unlikely for it to happen as they will assume that that VAT/Customs has been paid automatically.

Of course IF it does get stopped then not only do I have to pay VAT, I also have to pay an administration charge. It was £8 when I got caught the last time.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 197
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 7:13:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

I hear you - I have Judge's order info and am checking with the store to make sure everything is working as intended.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 198
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 7:19:23 PM   
Swayin

You can only really analyze the "worth" of a game when it finally comes off your hard drive - how many hours did you spend with it?

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 199
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 9:38:58 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swayin

You can only really analyze the "worth" of a game when it finally comes off your hard drive - how many hours did you spend with it?

Very true. I have bought all 17 HPS Panzer Campaigns titles at £29.99 each over the years and they are all still on my hard drive and are played regularly. I have bought three Matrix titles, all more expensive, and none are on my hard drive.

This game looked interesting, but not at any price. I'm happy with my choice not to purchase, plus I prefer battalion\regimental level games anyway.

(in reply to Swayin)
Post #: 200
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 9:50:47 PM   
FM WarB

At this point it is not just the price of the game that I must consider. It is the price of a new computer (sunk as much money as I want to into this XP 1 gig RAM machine). I get the impression the game would run too slowly and not look good enough on the machine.

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 201
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 10:07:46 PM   
wodin

I love the look of the game...I also love the look of WitP AE...but I know deep down they will end up being left as they are just to damn big...I know WitE has no production thank god but the scale is not really my bag....even though it does look amazing....IF I was an avid player of games at that scale I would have no problem paying the price even if it ment saving up...I may get it in a sale further down the line as then if it goes unplayed I haven't spent to much...I only hope one day someone makes a game of this magnitude where the smallest scale is company maybe battalion. (obviously I don't mean the whole of the eastern front I mean a monster company scale game similar to some to the Tactical Combat Series where the detail match's that of WitE)

(in reply to FM WarB)
Post #: 202
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 10:21:32 PM   
SGHunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

As it is I worked for about 10 cents and hour. 

You mean you got paid....
!!!

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 203
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 10:50:15 PM   
elmo3

Sure.  Didn't you...

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 204
Matching: it is worth every penny! - 12/9/2010 11:11:39 PM   
Templer_12

Of course, the question of pricing is legitimate.

Many who have purchased WitE say, very expensive, a lot of money....and so on.

But - almost all of them, myself included, say: it's worth every penny!

I think this bottom line answers the question!
Period!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 205
RE: How much - 12/9/2010 11:41:18 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: hart2412

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swayin

Very true. I have bought all 17 HPS Panzer Campaigns titles at £29.99 each over the years and they are all still on my hard drive and are played regularly. I have bought three Matrix titles, all more expensive, and none are on my hard drive.

This game looked interesting, but not at any price. I'm happy with my choice not to purchase, plus I prefer battalion\regimental level games anyway.

Good point and well stated. I too own some HPS Panzer Campaigns titles(10) and I like them form what they are. WitE is in a different universe than the HPS Panzer series, so that's why I'm willing to pay for it. But I understand your point of view.

I still have every Matrix Game I've ever bought(about 40 games I think) on a drive, yes even DEMOCRACY!!!-NOT.

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 206
RE: How much - 12/10/2010 10:42:49 AM   
diablo1

quote:

Same here except I haven't bought 17 HPS titles. But, I've bought several Matrixgames titles and only Steel Panthers:Generals Edition remains on my hard drive regularly. It's not so much the price of a game but how long I will or would play it. I wouldn't play WitP or WitE five minutes. I even won a free copy of WitP and gave it back to let someone else win it because I knew I would never play it. I won a copy of Making History II and I darn sure kept and played that one. So for me buying a game is more for the value of play vs price. Price is still important and I still don't think any game is worth $80 but that's just me. (and several others I see from this thread).

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 207
RE: How much - 12/10/2010 1:41:48 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

It's not so much the price of a game but how long I will or would play it.

That's true for everybody, I think. But, just as WitP, I don't think anyone can seriously doubt that WitE will provide thousands of hours of play for some, just as WitP did/does. That isn't true of everybody, though.. and I don't expect it to be true of me either, but I do expect to get much more playtime from WitE than I would get from any five 'mainstream' full price titles. But it's common sense not to buy a game you don't think you will play much, unless the price is so cheap it's a throwaway to find out whether you like it or not. I buy a lot of indies like that, usually in Steam sales, and maybe play one in four for more than an hour or two, but some of those give me far more entertainment than most full-price titles.

Usually you just don't know, even with demos, videos, AARs or whatever until you have bought and invested some time in the game - or decided even that investment isn't worth it. In this case, though, I think just about everybody seriously interested in the game was convinced they would get their monies worth and either hit the trigger on release day, is waiting for Christmas, or is saving up the money. There's still always a chance of buying a total lemon even when you least expect it ('Elemental' springs to mind), that's life, but fortunately that is NOT the case here.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 208
RE: How much - 12/10/2010 2:06:33 PM   
jhdeerslayer

If this game is anything like WITP, I'll be playing it for a long, long time. There is so much detail and the manual is huge. Well worth the $80 in my opinion.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 209
RE: How much - 12/11/2010 12:04:23 AM   
apd1004

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3

The way I look at it is this game is twice the price of other games I've bought, but I'll play it way more than twice as long as I've played other games.  I paid about $30 for a game recently and have played it about 3 hours.  Not really worth it for me.

This game will work out to a much better time for amount paid.  So, in reality, the $30 game was not worth it.

Edit: Plus, I'll actually ENJOY playing this game as I'm playing it.

I'll second that. WitE may end up being the cheapest game I've ever bought because it may very well be the last game I ever need to buy.

If I take the price of the game and factor in how much time I will probably spend playing it, and taking the fun factor into account, I figure Matrix will actually come up on the short end of the stick for only charging me $79 for this much fun.

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: How much Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI