Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  341 342 [343] 344 345   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:16:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

336: Arius, presbyter of Alexandria, is said to have died of sudden diarrhea followed by copious hemorrhaging and anal expulsion of the intestines while he walked across the imperial forum in Constantinople. He may have been poisoned.

Gee-ya think?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10261
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:16:10 PM   
Historiker

1939: Finnish actress Sirkka Sari died when she fell down a chimney into a heating boiler. She had mistaken the chimney for a balcony.

How can you mistake a chimey for a balcony???

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10262
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:17:27 PM   
Historiker

1940: Marcus Garvey died as a result of two strokes after reading a negative premature obituary of himself.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10263
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:18:41 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1911: Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel, a famous American distiller, died from blood poisoning as a result of an infection in one of his toes. The toe became infected after he damaged it while kicking his safe in anger because he could not remember the combination.

Another Russian joke (I think I may have posted it before, so it may be a rerun.

A safe company had created a new model safe which it was marketing as uncrackable. In a promotional stunt, it offered a million dollars to any team of no more than 2 people who could crack the safe. The conditions of the challenge were that the safe would be placed in an empty room. The lights would be turned off for 1 minute. If the team managed to open the safe before the lights came on, they would keep the million dollars in cash contained within.

The first to take up the challenge were 2 mechanical engineers from France. When the event host turned on the light, it was found that the Frenchmen has unlocked 7 out of the safe's 15 locks. They did not get the money.

The second team was a pair of German aerospace engineers. When the host turned on the lights, 13 of the safe's 15 locks had been opened. But the Germans didnt get the money either.

The last competitors were two Russian guys in track suits who declined to name their profession. When the time came to switch the lights on, the host discovered that the room was still dark. He tried the light switch a few more times but still no light came on. Out of curiosity, he put his ear to the door and heard a muffled "Ivan, leave the damn lightbulbs, we already got the million dollars".

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10264
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:19:20 PM   
Historiker

1942: 32 men died when the British cruiser HMS Trinidad accidentally torpedoed itself.

Oops!

But the Americans can do that as well:

1944: 74 men died when the US Submarine Tang (SS-306) accidentally torpedoed itself during a combat patrol off the coast of Taiwan.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10265
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:20:26 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

1911: Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel, a famous American distiller, died from blood poisoning as a result of an infection in one of his toes. The toe became infected after he damaged it while kicking his safe in anger because he could not remember the combination.

Another Russian joke (I think I may have posted it before, so it may be a rerun.

A safe company had created a new model safe which it was marketing as uncrackable. In a promotional stunt, it offered a million dollars to any team of no more than 2 people who could crack the safe. The conditions of the challenge were that the safe would be placed in an empty room. The lights would be turned off for 1 minute. If the team managed to open the safe before the lights came on, they would keep the million dollars in cash contained within.

The first to take up the challenge were 2 mechanical engineers from France. When the event host turned on the light, it was found that the Frenchmen has unlocked 7 out of the safe's 15 locks. They did not get the money.

The second team was a pair of German aerospace engineers. When the host turned on the lights, 13 of the safe's 15 locks had been opened. But the Germans didnt get the money either.

The last competitors were two Russian guys in track suits who declined to name their profession. When the time came to switch the lights on, the host discovered that the room was still dark. He tried the light switch a few more times but still no light came on. Out of curiosity, he put his ear to the door and heard a muffled "Ivan, leave the damn lightbulbs, we already got the million dollars".

Nice!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 10266
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:21:04 PM   
Historiker

1944: Inventor and chemist Thomas Midgley, Jr. accidentally strangled himself with the cord of a pulley-operated mechanical bed of his own design.

"My mechanical beds make you sleep forever!"

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10267
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:21:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

1794: John Kendrick, an American sea captain and explorer, was killed in the Hawaiian Islands when a British ship mistakenly used a loaded cannon to fire a salute to Kendrick's vessel.

Damn powerfull salute!

"Mistakenly". Uh huh...

[shakes fist] lousy redcoats!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10268
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:22:39 PM   
Historiker

Two at once:

1945: Scientist Harry K. Daghlian, Jr. accidentally dropped a brick of tungsten carbide onto a sphere of plutonium (known as the Demon core) while working on the Manhattan Project. This caused the plutonium to come to criticality; Daghlian died of radiation poisoning, becoming the first person to die in a criticality accident.

1946: Louis Slotin, chemist and physicist, died of radiation poisoning after being exposed to lethal amounts of ionizing radiation from the same core that killed Harry K. Daghlian, Jr. The core went critical after a screwdriver he was using to separate the halves of the spherical beryllium reflector slipped.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10269
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:24:11 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1916: Grigori Rasputin, Russian mystic, was reportedly poisoned, shot in the head, shot three more times, bludgeoned, and then thrown into a frozen river after being castrated. When his body washed ashore, an autopsy showed the cause of death to be hypothermia; however, some now doubt the credibility of this account. Another account said that he was poisoned, shot, and stabbed, at which time he got up and ran off – and was later found to have drowned in a frozen river.

Legendary Rasputin...

The account was that when he was served a poisoned meal, the poisoners waited 30 minutes for the poison which was supposed to kill instantaneously to take effect, then in desperation fell upon him with knives and stabbed him many times. He somehow managed to escape the melee and ran out into the street. One of the assailants, an army officer, drew his revolver and fired several shots (and supposedly swore that he hit him 3 or 4 times) and the last to hit Rasputin caused him to fall over the railing on the bridge he was running across into the frozen river.

Sounds like a load of BS to me though.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10270
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:24:36 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1514: György Dózsa, Székely man-at-arms and peasants' revolt leader in Hungary, was condemned to sit on a red-hot iron throne with a red-hot iron crown on his head and a red-hot sceptre in his hand (mocking his ambition to be king), by Hungarian landed nobility in Transylvania. While Dózsa was still alive, he was set upon and his partially roasted body was eaten by six of his fellow rebels, who had been starved for a week beforehand.

Now that is unique!

It is Transylvania. Those guys have always been rather creative in their punishments.

Like Vlad Tepes Dracul...

My favorite Tepes story was the one about the Turkish ambassadors who refused to remove their turbans in his presence....

Did he nail them to their heads?

Yuppers.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10271
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:24:54 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

1771: Adolf Frederick, King of Sweden, died of digestion problems on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg served in a bowl of hot milk. He is thus remembered by Swedish schoolchildren as "the king who ate himself to death."

Sauerkraut!

Nothing wrong with that meal...except the herring. Whats hetvagg?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla

That looks delicious.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10272
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:25:19 PM   
Historiker

1951: Professor Malcolm H. Soule, scientist, killed himself with an injection of snake venom and morphine after being fired from heading the department of bacteriology at the University of Michigan.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10273
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:25:37 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1918: Gustav Kobbé, writer and musicologist, was killed when the sailboat he was on was struck by a landing seaplane off Long Island, New York.

The air traffic patterns around here havent changed much since then.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10274
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:26:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Poor women. Dying by suffered burns eem to be one of the worst ways possible to me.

Dunno. Dying from infected monkey bites isn't high on my list either, Torsten.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10275
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:26:23 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1920: Dan Andersson, a Swedish author, died of cyanide poisoning while staying at Hotel Hellman in Stockholm. The hotel staff had failed to clear the room after using hydrogen cyanide against bed bugs.

I prefer bites from bed bugs!

At least they got the bed bugs too.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10276
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:26:41 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1771: Adolf Frederick, King of Sweden, died of digestion problems on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg served in a bowl of hot milk. He is thus remembered by Swedish schoolchildren as "the king who ate himself to death."

Sauerkraut!

Nothing wrong with that meal...except the herring. Whats hetvagg?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla

That looks delicious.

yeah!

I can perfectly well understand 14 servings of this!

Post #: 10277
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:27:07 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1920: Alexander I, King of the Hellenes, was taking a walk in the Royal Gardens, when his dog was attacked by a monkey. The King attempted to defend his dog, receiving bites from both the monkey and its mate. The diseased animals' bites caused sepsis and Alexander died three weeks later.

And again: Monkeys!

I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern here.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10278
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:27:29 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Poor women. Dying by suffered burns eem to be one of the worst ways possible to me.

Dunno. Dying from infected monkey bites isn't high on my list either, Torsten.

Allright. But it defenitly makes a better story. Just see "outbreak"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10279
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:28:07 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1920: Dan Andersson, a Swedish author, died of cyanide poisoning while staying at Hotel Hellman in Stockholm. The hotel staff had failed to clear the room after using hydrogen cyanide against bed bugs.

I prefer bites from bed bugs!

At least they got the bed bugs too.

Always think positive!

Post #: 10280
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:28:53 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1923: Martha Mansfield, an American film actress, died after sustaining severe burns on the set of the film The Warrens of Virginia after a smoker's match, tossed by a cast member, ignited her Civil War costume of hoopskirts and ruffles.

That sucks.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10281
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:28:59 PM   
Historiker

1955: Margo Jones, theater director, was killed by exposure to carbon tetrachloride fumes from her newly cleaned carpet.

Good excuse for letting a WU clean the house!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10282
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:29:30 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1925: Zishe (Siegmund) Breitbart, a circus strongman and Jewish folklore hero, died after demonstrating he could drive a spike through five one-inch (2.54 cm) thick oak boards using only his bare hands. He accidentally pierced his knee and the rusted spike caused an infection which led to fatal blood poisoning.

I guess showing off a little less sometimes can be healthy!

Like I said, jocks.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10283
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:29:39 PM   
Historiker

1958: Gareth Jones, actor, collapsed and died between scenes of a live television play, Underground, at the studios of Associated British Corporation in Manchester. Director Ted Kotcheff continued the play to its conclusion, improvising around Jones' absence.

You gotta love working with professionals!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10284
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:30:34 PM   
Historiker

1959: In the Dyatlov Pass incident, nine ski hikers in the Ural Mountains abandoned their camp in the middle of the night, some clad only in their underwear despite sub-zero weather. Six died of hypothermia and three by unexplained injuries. The corpses showed no signs of struggle, but one had a fatal skull fracture, two had major chest fractures, and one was missing her tongue. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths.

Russians...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10285
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:31:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

1951: Professor Malcolm H. Soule, scientist, killed himself with an injection of snake venom and morphine after being fired from heading the department of bacteriology at the University of Michigan.

Wow. Talk about a tenure decision gone awry!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10286
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:31:04 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1926: Phillip McClean, 16, from Queensland, Australia became the only person documented to have been killed by a cassowary. After encountering the bird on their family property near Mossman in April,[68] McClean and his brother decided to kill it with clubs. When McClean struck the bird it knocked him down, then kicked him in the neck, opening a 1.25 cm long cut in one of his main blood vessels. Though the boy managed to get back on his feet and run away, he collapsed a short while later and died from the haemorrhage.

Have you seen the legs on those things? They could boot a guy into the next time zone.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10287
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:31:29 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1927: J. G. Parry-Thomas, a Welsh racing driver, was decapitated when his car's drive chain snapped and whipped into the cockpit.

Open cockpits....

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10288
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:31:40 PM   
Historiker

1960: Inejiro Asanuma, 61, the head of the Japanese Socialist Party, was stabbed to death with a wakizashi sword by extreme rightist Otoya Yamaguchi during a televised political rally.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10289
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:32:24 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1935: Baseball player Len Koenecke was bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher by the crew of an aircraft he had chartered, after provoking a fight with the pilot while the plane was in the air.

I'm also detecting a pattern with drunk baseball players...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10290
Page:   <<   < prev  341 342 [343] 344 345   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  341 342 [343] 344 345   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI