Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/11/2013 2:49:06 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Even though we're playing with the modified 2nd best maneuver HR, where the defensive CAP is not limited by altitude restrictions, the Tojo is still having it's way over Burma.

In '42, the Tojo is one of the very best fighters around. <period>

As I play the game, I come to understand how truly bad the internal corruption was in the Defense Ministry that they were still building Nates when the Tojo was available. I mean, you read about all the issues, but when you play and see the differences ... wow. Really sad.

As an American, we always like to think that when we ask our soldiers to go to war that we have provided them with the best possible tools. In WWII (I won't comment about now, too political), I can say that we generally did. There are some exceptions, but most of them are not too aggregious (building any P-40's after about Mar 43 is an example). Do I agree with all of their decisions? No. But at least the ones I disagree with have rationale that I have to acknowledge.

I can't honestly say that about the IJ Defense Ministry ... too many really, really poor decisions ...

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 511
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/11/2013 7:58:47 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Ouch! I went over to your opponents thread to read the combat report ... WOW.

OK, he doesn't post the entire reports, only snippets, so little possibility to analyze. BUT, it looks like you sent SCTF's into an area without CAP and with the enemy CV's. I hate to say this, but ...

Kongo's cannot catch US CV's unless he has put some slow BB's in his TF's; they are about 3 knots too slow. If he has completed his first upgrades to get radar, he will see you before you do and can react away with the DD's screening the CV's. The only way you catch him is in crowded areas, like the DEI, where the nearby isles can mess up the reaction. Out in the IO, he has too much sea room.

If I send any SCTF in against CV's, I have to assume they are kami's. Yes, there are probabilities that they will be successful. The issue is that if they meet any other ships or do not destroy the CV's outright, they will have used up too many OPs points to effect escape. They will be in range in the morning. The counter to that is to be able to mount a very large CAP over the SCTF, and I rarely am able to do which is I why I sent the SCTF in the first place. For all of these reasons, I generally use DD's with maybe a CL for these missions. As IJ, you have to try these when you get the chance ... even at 1:5 odds, I have to try.

This is a tough game you are in ... you had a miserable start and this one will be a real chore to finish.

There was LR CAP set from Port Blair, about 60 fighters, and all of the others from Victoria Point on various TFs when they were set far out into the Andamans. The issue was that the TFs would move out and past the CV position, then back in past them again and be out of the LR CAP range. I guessed right 2 of 3 days about the ultimate position of the US CVs and sent ships exactly there, but no joy.

I get what you're saying about speeds, but remember a slow US BB caught the KB and stayed around to pummel it near Hawaii on day two here. So it can be done I assure you. That would 6 knots slower than KB. The key was op points, and he had other fast ships that interacted with the KB as well. I had three other Cruiser led TFs out there and sent again right across the path (head on and from the side so reaction away shouldn't have mattered) of the US CVs.

I'm not saying I didn't take a massive risk and expose my fleet horribly, but in my position it seemed too good a chance to miss. There are probably other settings that would have worked slightly better, or maybe not and it was an impossibly difficult intercept. I just know what is left after the turn. It would be great if we actually knew the movements during those phases of our ships to see what is going on. It's kind of a mystery otherwise. Just 'hit' or 'miss.'

I did consider these kamis to an extent. If they had interacted with the fleet they should have gotten a few hits at least, slowing things down, maybe setting them up for the next ships through. Several of the TFs were fast CL/DD TFs hoping to get in close in low moonlight and get a TT hit. What I didn't understand either was that the movement wasn't the full flank speed for all TFs, so some made it back under CAP easily while others were left hanging in no man's land. Very weird. Wish I had time to make a map and detail it all but it makes me a bit ill right now anyway, so I'll just move on and become the air minister of a desperate Empire. How soon can I get kamis?!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 512
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/11/2013 8:03:49 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Even though we're playing with the modified 2nd best maneuver HR, where the defensive CAP is not limited by altitude restrictions, the Tojo is still having it's way over Burma.

In '42, the Tojo is one of the very best fighters around. <period>

As I play the game, I come to understand how truly bad the internal corruption was in the Defense Ministry that they were still building Nates when the Tojo was available. I mean, you read about all the issues, but when you play and see the differences ... wow. Really sad.

As an American, we always like to think that when we ask our soldiers to go to war that we have provided them with the best possible tools. In WWII (I won't comment about now, too political), I can say that we generally did. There are some exceptions, but most of them are not too aggregious (building any P-40's after about Mar 43 is an example). Do I agree with all of their decisions? No. But at least the ones I disagree with have rationale that I have to acknowledge.

I can't honestly say that about the IJ Defense Ministry ... too many really, really poor decisions ...

Yes.

This is an interesting fight. It's kind of similar to the actual war post-midway. The IJN is wounded but the air force is stronger than historical for the reason you point out. I will maximize the best airframes.

We'll see how it goes. I am now looking at all the HQa everywhere and trying to see which in the rear can be bought to move to Sumatra, Malaya and Java. I'm almost positive he will come to this area. Torsten is already well into a strategic bombing of the oil in Burma and knows he can land without a KB presence, has the US CVs here, and so he'll likely go for the throat. I need a capability for a KB equivalent at three of four locations in the DEI. It'll be tough to do, but the airfields are there, no I have to get the support in place and build the planes.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/11/2013 2:30:44 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 513
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/11/2013 8:09:59 PM   
JocMeister

Your biggest advantage is your air force. Sweep, sweep, sweep and keep his pools down. Now is Tojo time and he won´t be able to match that for quite some time. The first Corsairs doesn´t arrive until 1/43 and its only 30 per month. Be aggressive and take the losses. You can afford it and he can´t. If its within range it should get swept into oblivion.

Oh, and dig in deep. Secure the Marshalls and all the other important bases. Don´t get cut off in Burma! Hang on to Northen OZ for as long as possible. Look for places where you can shorten the perimeter.

Just dig in, let him come and try to counter blow. You can´t defend everything.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 514
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/11/2013 10:24:50 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Your biggest advantage is your air force. Sweep, sweep, sweep and keep his pools down. Now is Tojo time and he won´t be able to match that for quite some time. The first Corsairs doesn´t arrive until 1/43 and its only 30 per month. Be aggressive and take the losses. You can afford it and he can´t. If its within range it should get swept into oblivion.

Oh, and dig in deep. Secure the Marshalls and all the other important bases. Don´t get cut off in Burma! Hang on to Northen OZ for as long as possible. Look for places where you can shorten the perimeter.

Just dig in, let him come and try to counter blow. You can´t defend everything.

Thanks Jocke.

That's basically it. I have to make a steel curtain of wings and bombs around the oil while beginning to protect the islands closer to the HI. I just keep forgetting hoe little is around at this point in game. Man, there is not much to move. I'll keep scraping though. I've already begu nthe pull-back from any extended position. It'll be interesting. A good test for sure.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 515
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/12/2013 11:21:39 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I'm not saying I didn't take a massive risk and expose my fleet horribly, but in my position it seemed too good a chance to miss.

Ah, ok. From your original post it wasn't clear that you knew the risk you put your ships into. With that understood, then i sympathize greatly with the outcome. A couple of better rolls and you might have gotten some 14" hits on some CV's ...

quote:

How soon can I get kamis?!

Ha! Something that I both look forward to and worry about. Look forward to getting my best Naval attack weapon. Worry about because it means that the alies are on my doorstep and the DEI is essentially toast ....

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 516
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/12/2013 11:25:11 PM   
PaxMondo

Regarding kami's, just one thing to mention that it seems so many overlook: once you convert a group to kami, it stays kami. For bombers that hardly matters as they have no real use except as kami's. BUT, fighter groups. You need a lot of those all the way to war's end. Converting them to kami's has to be done carefully, deliberately, and after considering the impact upon your defense.

This is the reason I don't tend to R&D and build Oscars. It isn't that they aren't a good kami, its that I can't commit too many of my fighter groups to kami. I need them as fighters badly ...

Just my thoughts ....

Pax

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 517
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/12/2013 11:25:28 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

I'm not saying I didn't take a massive risk and expose my fleet horribly, but in my position it seemed too good a chance to miss.

Ah, ok. From your original post it wasn't clear that you knew the risk you put your ships into. With that understood, then i sympathize greatly with the outcome. A couple of better rolls and you might have gotten some 14" hits on some CV's ...

quote:

How soon can I get kamis?!

Ha! Something that I both look forward to and worry about. Look forward to getting my best Naval attack weapon. Worry about because it means that the alies are on my doorstep and the DEI is essentially toast ....

I was both buoyed and distraught that just before this I did have the 4 Kongos catch the CVs and get to 7k but they didn't score 1 hit on the CVs and fininshed a long battle without firing their secondary 15cm guns! Infuriating!

So yes, I knew I was pushing my luck, but also had enough there to push with to make it a very good chance to intercept again if he stayed around, and he did.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 518
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/15/2013 11:14:58 PM   
obvert

Well, we're locked in discussion about an issue with night bombing now.

Torsten sent everything he had at Mandalay airfield. He'd already prolifically bombed oil fields at Mandalay with massed night attacks, and while I do think they're most likely too accurate in game even in that situation, against an airfield I've come to see this as way to powerful based on admittedly few facts from the war. It seems to me this would have become a consistent strategy if it was as accurate in the war as it is in game. I've looked on the internet and in books in my collection, including one on the 10th AF in Burma, but most of the information is from 43 onward as not much was in operating order in 42 and even into 43 strikes were small and mostly against logistical and economical targets.

This attack was of only 163 bombers, not overwhelming, but a good amount for mid-42. Altogether it put 86 damage on the fields and destroyed 36 fighters on a level 6 field that was not overstacked. If he could do this once a week even I would have to simply relinquish he air wherever he wanted to bomb. We have the no night bombing at less than 50% moonlight, but maybe this is not enough.

My question, and the point we're stuck on, is could this have really been done in 42 and if so why wasn't it done? (Or was it? He brought up Peenemunde, which was much later and a very specialized night raid with specific technology for that raid). If it seems unlikely then how do we proceed? What rules would work to a fair compromise to both sides?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 19, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Air attack on Mandalay , at 59,46

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 4
Hudson IIIa x 8
Hudson I x 5
B-17E Fortress x 3
B-26 Marauder x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 31 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 17
B-17E Fortress x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 10

Raid spotted at 27 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-18A Bolo x 5

No Allied losses

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 12

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-18A Bolo x 6

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Runway hits 1

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 7

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 6

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 8

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 6

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Raid spotted at 21 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 8

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 3

Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-25C Mitchell x 5

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 2

Raid detected at 19 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 2

Raid detected at 46 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 4

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-26 Marauder x 7

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-18A Bolo x 5

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase supply hits 1

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 2 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 1

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 7

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 5

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Runway hits 2

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Runway hits 2

Raid spotted at 49 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-26 Marauder x 3

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 1

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 3

No Allied losses

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Wellington Ic x 5

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 2

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-25C Mitchell x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 5

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Runway hits 2

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/16/2013 12:35:37 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 519
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 2:39:19 AM   
CowboyRonin

If he's using 10th AF heavies in night attacks, I think that can be HRed. American units were very slow to use nigh bombing over daylight bombing. I would look at restricting any American air units other than XX AF from night attacks. XX Air Force ( the B 29s) did switch to night bombing, so that needs to be on the table.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 520
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 8:29:34 AM   
JocMeister

I´m a bit divided by this. I certainly agree night bombing is overpowered in the game. Especially early war. But on the other hand the Jap fighters are insanely overpowered against unescorted heavies. So while I can understand the frustration from the Jap players I also feel they brought this on themselves a bit when crying about overpowered 4Es a few years back. Only way to use the 4Es like they were used in the war for deep strikes is to go in at night. Its just impossible to take the losses by going daylight.

My RoT is:
1 lost 4E for each airborne George
0.75 lost 4E for other Jap fighters.

This is simply impossible to maintain. So the choice is basically to only operate within sweep range (4-6 hexes early game and probably still not doable during Tojo time) or go in at night. I have no good solution for the situation. It would have been better if the devs hadn´t listened to the crying "back then". That way we wouldn´t have to deal with the night bombing discussions and HRs we are seeing now. I honestly doesn´t see a good solution for this.

(in reply to CowboyRonin)
Post #: 521
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 9:55:19 AM   
obvert

quote:

I´m a bit divided by this. I certainly agree night bombing is overpowered in the game. Especially early war. But on the other hand the Jap fighters are insanely overpowered against unescorted heavies. So while I can understand the frustration from the Jap players I also feel they brought this on themselves a bit when crying about overpowered 4Es a few years back. Only way to use the 4Es like they were used in the war for deep strikes is to go in at night. Its just impossible to take the losses by going daylight.

My RoT is:
1 lost 4E for each airborne George
0.75 lost 4E for other Jap fighters.

This is simply impossible to maintain. So the choice is basically to only operate within sweep range (4-6 hexes early game and probably still not doable during Tojo time) or go in at night. I have no good solution for the situation. It would have been better if the devs hadn´t listened to the crying "back then". That way we wouldn´t have to deal with the night bombing discussions and HRs we are seeing now. I honestly doesn´t see a good solution for this.

My part of this discussion has been to try to find facts about the actual ability of planes to hit targets at night and during daylight, the strength/vulnerability of bombers under attack, but 4E in specific, and to attempt to give perspective about the game capabilities vs evidence from the war.

I've found a few things and it's been pretty interesting to try to find examples of night bombing in the Pacific, especially against airfields. I haven't found any mention of it yet. Anyone seen any examples of where this was used and if it could have been effective?

The point I would make here is that unrestricted night bombing means there is no air war. The Japanese will simply move out of range and use only infantry to slow the Allied advance. There is no other option. Allied 4E bombing is already much too accurate, too easily frequent, and yes the kill ratio of both sides is hugely inflated. The 10th AF in CBI didn't actually get moving until B-24s arrived in autumn 42 and was still sending out attacks of 7-24 planes up to mid-43, unescorted. These strikes were run 2-3 a week rather than everyday, and they usually were opposed by 5-20 Oscars. From January to April 43 a grand total of 4 B-24s were lost against 4 Oscars!

The sections below highlight the immense differences between our game and reality. Even after the RAF and USAAF merged operations (in August 43!!!) the max numbers in raids were under 30 bombers, and there were no instances of massed 150-200 bomber raids.

On the other side of the coin, Japanese production ramped up much more slowly than in game and of course didn't emphasize better fighters until too late, in 44, going with a fighter that was obsolete when it appeared in 41, the Oscar, as they're primary interceptor. The Ki-44 had been developed simultaneously with the Ki-43 and the original goal was to use them together, but manufacturing and politics got in the way of that plan. There should be no limit to the Japanese player's ability to change that and produce the better plane, (or the two simultaneously as I've chosen to do), but the game might be better if there were some limitations on the Japanese production of these planes that came closer to the actual numbers in the war.

It's simply too easy to get into an fast paced devastatingly bloody war in AE that simply didn't happen in reality and that was likely entirely impossible for both sides due mostly to logistics. This has led Torsten in this case to turn to night bombing as a primary method of getting around the Ki-44 in 42. That however presents the usual problems:

Too accurate by a longshot
Too many interceptors shot down at night (much higher percentage than the numbers shown below in day raids)
No ops losses to speak of
Too high a frequency of missions

We might be bored to tears playing the actual war pace with reduced kill ratio and lessened accuracy, but it sure would be interesting to see how different that was.

[These sections are from "B-24 Liberator Vs Ki-43 Oscar; China and Burma 1943" by Edward M. Young.]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/16/2013 9:59:39 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 522
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 10:30:45 AM   
JocMeister

I have speculated for some time now that a big culprit to many of the...hmm...difficulties? we are seeing in the air war might come down to PDU ON. With the BETA and PDU OFF we might actually see a more historical air war.

I´m seeing a lot more grounded AC due to repair since we switched to the BETA in our game for example. When I say a lot I really mean that.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 523
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 10:59:05 AM   
obvert

quote:

I have speculated for some time now that a big culprit to many of the...hmm...difficulties? we are seeing in the air war might come down to PDU ON. With the BETA and PDU OFF we might actually see a more historical air war.

I´m seeing a lot more grounded AC due to repair since we switched to the BETA in our game for example. When I say a lot I really mean that.

I agree. With my next attempt at the IJ I would self-impose a lot of restrictions, including PDU-off, acceleration limited to two months ahead except for late war planes (45) and to aircraft shut or slowed down due to loss of CVs (Sam, Judy D4Y3 and Grace, probably) and of course use Babes.

It would just be fun to see what a slower paced more realistic war would look like, yet with freedom to change the strategy, tactics and other choices. Not a 'historical' war by any means, but one that didn't have an air war on steroids.

I would also impose restrictions on my airframe productions to a scale increasing per year on some percentage (10-20% ?) over actual Japanese production numbers I would create (this for totals, not each specific aircraft). I might even ask to see what it would be like to not have uber pilot training for both sides. Limit the training levels possible. Like only get them to 45 exp 65 skill tops in any category. It would make combat training much more valuable and probably limit the amount of pilots that did make it through to become very good.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/16/2013 11:11:59 AM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 524
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 11:21:47 AM   
JocMeister

That sounds perfect! When do we start?

(If I don´t get first dibs on that game I WILL egg your house)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 525
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/16/2013 1:18:57 PM   
obvert

quote:

That sounds perfect! When do we start?

(If I don´t get first dibs on that game I WILL egg your house)

Ha!! That's good.

It's all theory now. I'd like to open a thread on some of the ideas, write it all out and take any more suggestions about it, see if there are other things to slow the pace and make it more real without destroying creativity or fun.

Then maybe when we're done with ours, hopefully I'l be finished with the Torsten game then as well once he destroys me, and then I could also do an Allied game which is really my next goal.

You would definitely have first dibs!!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 526
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 6/24/2013 12:51:48 PM   
obvert

20 - 30 AUGUST 1942
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NIGHT BOMBING: So Torsten and I agreed that 50 bombers could bomb any one target at night. To be honest, after see in this in action for a few days, it's still not great. The 4E especially still take out 20-30% of the fighters on CAP, regardless of how many there are, and still have virtually closed an airbase on one night. It's better though, and I can find ways to use this now. After a few days of night bombing with no opposition it's only human nature to try a day raid. Or at least so it seems.

SUBS: Our subs couldn't track down the damaged CVs. Too bad. They're now huddled around Colombo and the lines of movement toward both Cape Town and Bombay. If anything moves in or out at least we'll have a shot at it.

CHINA: Same old thing. Moving to prepare a thrust behind Chikhiang. Should have about 3500AV to head up the below road and see if we can overwhelm his blockade on the river of 2-3 Chinese units.

ANDAMAN SEA: After the recent battles whittling down the IJN by about 1/4 I pulled back all but two SAGs from Victoria Point, but left all former CV groups there plus the Tainan zeros, a Tojo group and also a few more at Chumpon. The Shokaku and Ryujo repaired slowly until their system damage was down to around 40, and I took them out of pierside in preparation to send them to Singers.

Just about the time on the 21st his CVs appeared again near Port Blair. Interestingly I had Jakes on naval attack and they got through to hit the Wasp with one 60kg bomb. Some of his groups looked to be training (!!) by the reports, and there was virtually no CAP, but I didn't get any more luck this turn with a better set of hits.

The next day the CVs moved in close, only 6 hexes from Victoria Point. A bold move. On the 22nd our strikes came in heavily and just enough broke through to give the Allies a bad day. The North Carolina was sunk outright. Wish that had been a CV, but I'll take it nonetheless. The hit percentage by the Kates that made it through was apparently 200%!!! The reports must be off here, or else I've got Kates carrying TWO TT per run!

At any rate this was somewhat satisfying. The subs swarming the area got no joy as the Allies slunk back slowly to Colombo. I've got another surprise I'd like to try in a few days though.

Little Andaman falls to a few para units and part of a regiment, destroying three UK base forces there. That has to hurt him a little. Another three are on the remaining islands. We did hit and sink AMC Chittral and another two xAK in the area, either bringing reinforcements, supply, or trying for an evac of the base forces. I've now got AMCs and APDs at Port Blair and the invasion of all remaining occupied islands will take place as quickly as possible augmented by para-drops.

PACIFIC: Evacuating as fast as possible all forward positions.

BURMA: After the bombing agreement I pull nearly everything back from Central Burma. I've still got troops in all of the bases, but I'm preparing the inner line to defend, at least temporarily, and moving all air HQ and base forces back to Moumein and Rangoon. These are only in range to the 4E for now, and are more easily defended by the inclusion of AA and larger fields. I'll see how this goes.

On the 30th we jumped a big raid at Magwe and got about 65 bombers for 30 lost fighters on the day. Got lucky here as his sweeps came in last, although we would likely have done well with them also. I'd just rather get to the bombers. All moved back to Rangoon after.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 21, 42

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Little Andaman at 40,57

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 13 damaged
E13A1 Jake: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CV Wasp, Bomb hits 1
CVL Hermes
CV Yorktown
BC Repulse

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x E13A1 Jake bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
VMF-111 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 14 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes

Training flight from VMF-111 has been caught up in attack

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 22, 42

Morning Air attack on TF, near Trinkat at 46,63

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
B5N1 Kate x 5
B5N2 Kate x 33

Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 14
F4F-4 Wildcat x 129

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 6 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 3 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 16 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 5 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB North Carolina, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
CVL Hermes, Torpedo hits 1
CV Wasp
CV Hornet
BC Repulse, Torpedo hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

CAP engaged:
VF-42 with F4F-4 Wildcat (6 airborne, 12 on standby, 12 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 2000 and 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
16 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-6 with F4F-4 Wildcat (6 airborne, 13 on standby, 13 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 1000 and 34000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 43 minutes
13 planes vectored on to bombers
VF-8 with F4F-4 Wildcat (6 airborne, 13 on standby, 12 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 40 minutes
VF-71 with F4F-4 Wildcat (4 airborne, 12 on standby, 11 scrambling)
8 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 46 minutes
No.881 Sqn FAA with Martlet II (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 6 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 34300.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
4 planes vectored on to bombers
VMF-111 with F4F-4 Wildcat (2 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
6 planes vectored on to bombers

Magazine explodes on BB North Carolina

Morning Air attack on TF, near Trinkat at 46,63

Raid detected at 110 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 46 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 84
B5N2 Kate x 30
D3A1 Val x 18

Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 115

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 11 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 18 destroyed, 4 damaged
D3A1 Val: 7 destroyed, 2 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Martlet II: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CV Illustrious, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CVL Hermes, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Hornet, Torpedo hits 1
CV Wasp
CV Enterprise

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Trinkat at 46,63

Raid detected at 117 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 43 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 67
D3A1 Val x 4

Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 1
F4F-4 Wildcat x 67

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 9 destroyed
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 5 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'

Ground combat at Little Andaman (44,59)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 943 troops, 27 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 43

Defending force 1836 troops, 23 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Japanese adjusted assault: 29

Allied adjusted defense: 23

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
76 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF
143rd Infantry Rgt /1

Defending units:
118th RAF Base Force
221 Group RAF
106th RN Base Force

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 23, 42

Night Naval bombardment of Victoria Point at 51,66

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 16 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 24 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 8 destroyed on ground
A6M2 Zero: 42 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 9 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Canberra
CA Astoria
CL Mauritius
CL Hobart

Japanese ground losses:
138 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 26
Port hits 1

CA Canberra firing at Victoria Point
CA Astoria firing at Victoria Point
Walrus II acting as spotter for CL Mauritius
CL Mauritius firing at Victoria Point
CL Hobart firing at Victoria Point

Night Naval bombardment of Victoria Point at 51,66

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 17 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 13 damaged
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed on ground
G4M1 Betty: 16 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 3 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CL Birmingham
CL Durban

Airbase hits 12
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 11

CL Birmingham firing at Victoria Point
CL Durban firing at Victoria Point

Morning Air attack on TF, near Little Andaman at 45,60

Raid detected at 61 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 6
G4M1 Betty x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CL Birmingham
CL Durban

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 24, 42

Submarine attack near Car Nicobar at 40,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-29

Allied Ships
AMC Chitral, Torpedo hits 1

SS I-29 is sighted by AMC Chitral
SS I-29 launches 2 torpedoes

Sub attack near Car Nicobar at 40,61

Japanese Ships
SS I-33

Allied Ships
AMC Chitral, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

SS I-33 launches 2 torpedoes

Japanese Ships
SS I-11

Allied Ships
xAK Gandara, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

SS I-11 is sighted by xAK Gandara
SS I-11 attacking on the surface
Shichiji, Tsuneo decides to submerge SS I-11 due to damage

Japanese Ships
SS I-29

Allied Ships
AMC Chitral, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

AMC Chitral is sighted by SS I-29
SS I-29 launches 2 torpedoes

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 25, 42

Morning Air attack on TF, near Trinkat at 44,64

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 8 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
H6K4 Mavis x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Changte, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x H6K4 Mavis bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Changte

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Trinkat at 44,64

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
A6M3a Zero x 9
H6K4 Mavis x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Changte, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x H6K4 Mavis bombing from 5000 feet

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Changte

Ground combat at Little Andaman (44,59)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1188 troops, 28 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 61

Defending force 1774 troops, 23 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 9

Japanese adjusted assault: 40

Allied adjusted defense: 17

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Little Andaman !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1242 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 296 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 18 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 21 (21 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 3

Assaulting units:
1st Raiding Rgt /1
Yokosuka 1st SNLF
143rd Infantry Rgt /1

Defending units:
221 Group RAF
118th RAF Base Force
106th RN Base Force

Submarine attack near Wakkanai at 124,48

Japanese Ships
xAK Denmark Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-27

xAK Denmark Maru is sighted by SS S-27
SS S-27 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Denmark Maru

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 29, 42

Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 16

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8
B-24D Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 6 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 2 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Port Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Port Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
5 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
5 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Port Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 6

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed by flak

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet

Night Air attack on Magwe , at 57,47

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 23

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 3 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet

Submarine attack near Trivandrum at 26,43

Japanese Ships
SS I-28

Allied Ships
xAK City of Lille, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

xAK City of Lille is sighted by SS I-28
SS I-28 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK City of Lille

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR August 30, 42
Morning Air attack on Magwe , at 57,47

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 51

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 6
Blenheim IV x 18
Hudson IIIa x 6
Wellington Ic x 3
Hudson I x 12
B-18A Bolo x 12
B-17E Fortress x 24
B-25C Mitchell x 14
B-26 Marauder x 13
B-26B Marauder x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed, 20 damaged
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 3 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 3 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Hudson IIIa: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged

Wellington Ic: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 4 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-26 Marauder: 3 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 27

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 25

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 8
Hudson III (LR) x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 5 destroyed
Hudson III (LR): 5 destroyed, 1 damaged

Raid detected at 28 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 9

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 9
B-18A Bolo x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the focus on the deep IO the IJN CVs limped back to Singapore. They have another two months here until repaired. That will give us at least a minor CV threat eventually.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/25/2013 9:03:28 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 527
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/7/2013 9:18:39 AM   
obvert

31 August - 10 Sept 1942

This game continues and is still very contested and very fun. I've simply not had the time to do updates recently. I'll do some large overview posts to get to current during the next week. When I started this was a very fun AAR with lots of contributions, and although we're in the quiet stage of mid-late 42 things are beginning to get interesting and heat up again. During June and July I was in a near frantic state given some great opportunities to catch out the Allied CVs. When my trap and plans were foiled, and the resulting carnage added to the woes of the IJN, I did become pretty despondent.

A new resilience and interest has arrived since then and I do find a lot of hope in the recent attack by LBA n the Allied CVs. This is the official patch so coordination of LBA is relatively possible, and that makes all of the difference. There are areas of the defense that are eggshell thin and don't look to improve for a while, but I'm trying to take a deep game approach and concentrate on defending the oil and building rear areas.

SUBS: My subs have for the most part been pulled back to get ready for a swarm should Torsten's CVs show up again or any invasion start coming. I have some out as recon and mostly surrounding the DEI and Burma areas. This is where the CVs were last seen and they haven't been reported anywhere else, so I have to assume they are still near until I know better.

The Allied subs are hovering en masse around the Thai, Malayan and Sumatran coasts and have also shown force in the North on both flanks of Japan, sinking several resource convoy ships. I've begun serious ASW training for the IJAAF and for the IJN floatplanes and Kates. Having so many land-based Kates can have its advantages.

DEI: The South DEI is relatively underdeveloed. I will need more troops ought out and arriving to get to that, but hopefully the West OZ barrier will keep him off for a few months more.

In Sumatra I've got most defenses in place now as the offshore islands are invested and building forts. Major air power is located at Singapore, Medan and Victoria Point with some other minor bases. Palembang is due for an HQ and will be the other major base area.

CHINA: Still locked at Chikhiang and not able to move there. I'm planning a move up the yellow road from Kweillin. I tried a sneaky brigade to Mengze but he spotted it and moved in two Chinese units, so we've turned and are heading back down.

PACIFIC: So Pac has been quiet. no air battles and only a small supply convoy sunk to report.

BURMA: The final Andamans are conquered by paras and other small units. Mostly just Brit base force fragments left there. I'll only keep small forces out here, but a naval guard and construction unit or base force will head out to all islands soon by fast transport. It's good to destroy the remnants of these base force units. He'll likely have to buy them back and rebuild them from nothing, which should take a while if I understand Brit replacements.

The Allied bombers slowly and methodically are taking out the oil at Magwe. It's about gone now. I've hunkered down in Rangoon and Moumein with the air forces, and will prepare for a return in several months when I have more support and greater numbers of good planes and pilots. he sends in occasional night attacks, but these are limited by the 50 plane rule now and just take out a few planes and damage the runway slightly.

I tried a long range Nell attack on Colombo where his CVs are likely repairing. About 50 bombers made drops but due to the heavy AA and low recon level at the base, no hits were scored. Discouraging as no CAP was up. It is now.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 1, 42

Ground combat at Car Nicobar (44,62)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1131 troops, 7 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 49

Defending force 468 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 44

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 44 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Car Nicobar !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
552 casualties reported
Non Combat: 57 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
Kure 3rd SNLF

Defending units:
116th RAF Base Force

Ground combat at Great Nicobar (43,66)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 165 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 41

Defending force 535 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Japanese adjusted assault: 11

Allied adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Great Nicobar !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-), supply(-)

Allied ground losses:
588 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 73 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /2
55th Engr Rgt /2

Defending units:
101st RAF Base Force

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 2, 42

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 11

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 10
B-24D Liberator x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed
L3Y2 Tina: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed by flak

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 6000 feet

Ground combat at Mengtze (68,50)

Attacking force 3937 troops, 40 guns, 11 vehicles, Assault Value = 138

Defending force 3874 troops, 15 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 178

Japanese adjusted assault: 105

Allied adjusted defense: 409

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(-), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
391 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 36 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
88 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled

Assaulting units:
21st Ind.Mixed Brigade

Defending units:
15th Chinese Corps
54th Chinese/C Corps

Ground combat at Trinkat (44,64)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 276 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 14

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 13

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 13 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Trinkat !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
1st Raiding Rgt /2

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 3, 42

Sub attack near Fukue-jima at 100,59

Japanese Ships
xAK Tazan Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PB Kanko Maru
PB Kozan Maru

Allied Ships
SS Whale

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

SS Whale launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Tazan Maru
Whale diving deep ....
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 4, 42

Morning Air attack on Colombo , at 29,48

Raid detected at 51 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 56

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 14 damaged
G3M3 Nell: 4 destroyed by flak

Port hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
19 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 5, 42

Submarine attack near Toyohara at 125,48

Japanese Ships
xAK Norway Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-32

xAK Norway Maru is sighted by SS S-32
SS S-32 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Norway Maru

Sub attack near Donggala at 70,96

Japanese Ships
AO Toho Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AO Toei Maru
AO Nippon Maru
AO Kyokuto Maru
AO Kokuyo Maru
AO Ken'yo Maru
PB Shosei Maru

Allied Ships
SS O19

SS O19 launches 4 torpedoes at AO Toho Maru
O19 diving deep ....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 5, 42

Sub attack near Green Island at 109,127

Japanese Ships
xAK Yasuteru Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PB Wa 6
xAK Shinfuku Maru
xAK Shinetsu Maru
PB Wa 9

Allied Ships
SS Haddock

SS Haddock launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Yasuteru Maru
Haddock diving deep ....

Morning Air attack on TF, near Horn Island at 91,128

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36
G4M1 Betty x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Centaur, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AM Kalgoorlie, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 9, 42

Submarine attack near Sapporo at 119,49

Japanese Ships
xAK Celebes Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-42

xAK Celebes Maru is sighted by SS S-42
SS S-42 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Celebes Maru

Sub attack near Trivandrum at 24,45

Japanese Ships
SS I-29

Allied Ships
DD McCall, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Benham

SS I-29 launches 2 torpedoes at DD McCall
DD Benham fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

I've chosen not to build the Musashi. I've found these ships to brittle, requiring major time in the yard for even small amounts of damage, and of course they burn way too much fuel. This should save a bit of HI for planes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 8/7/2013 11:40:33 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 528
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/7/2013 12:19:29 PM   
obvert

12 - 20 September 1942

SUBS: On the 13th the I-33 ran into a very large SAG with three US and an RN BB. It missed but this let me send in a bunch of other subs on the most probable route to Colombo from the map edge. After the I-124 got nailed by the ASW on the 14th, on the 15th the I-31 put one TT into the BB Mississippi. It won't sink it, but any BB repair takes a bit of time. I had hoped to get another hit on the slowed TF, but no luck.

My anemic ASW also managed to finally critically wound a sub, the Dolphin, in the shallows near Balikpapan. On the 20th I lost a Tonan Whaler near Cam Rahn Bay. My air ASW is still not operational in most areas.

DEI: Lots of troops arrive. I should have around 400 AV in most coastal bases with level 4 forts by the end of September. There is supporting arty in each and tanks in most as well. I'll be buying out more AT guns soon to send in. Some AA needs to arrive at oil bases and I need a few more base forces for South Sumatra. Altogether though, if he comes this way I'll be ready.

It looks like he might. Continued interest in the form of an xAKL picket about 10-12 hexes off of Sumatra instigated a hunt with a few DDs and a CS cruiser. I thought the Jakes would fly and take it out, but the forces actually met at sea and the ship was sunk. This could all be an elaborate set-up for an attack elsewhere, but that's fine.

CHINA: On the 20th my troops shock across the yellow road near Chikhiang and get a 1:1 against 4 Chinese Corps. The heavy disruption and disablements make me need to wait for further attacks though, as well as supply in the red, so unfortunately he'll likely be able to reinforce. I might still over time be able to wear these troops down though. I have the two armored division elements here and they will combine in the next weeks. I've got some brigades also marching on Tuyun, so he'll be hard pressed to reinforce everywhere.

PACIFIC: Air battles on the 20th leave us with slightly better than 1:1 results. Anything to run through his pools right now is great. I know how few planes the Allies get in this period, and working on them will now become a priority. He tends to fly in 80-90 fighters when supply convoys arrive at PM, and I should be able to wear these down when that happens. I have no plans to attack that base with troops.

BURMA: The Alies mounted an exploratory campaign across the Arakan to near Ramree, likely trying to get that critical base. I sent three Thai divisions to hold the approaches in +3 rough territory. They did wonderfully well against slightly better Allied troops, hardly taking losses while inflicting 2700 casualties on the Allies. Torsten wasn't sending his best though, including a bunch of the small Burmese units, the chinese and only one Indian brigade. I added one more IJA division to help build forts for the Thais after the battle.

OZ: I had some very weak units at Exmouth and the aussies walked there and took the base. That was a little bit of a surprise, but he hasn't done anything noticeable in the area since.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 12, 42

Ground combat at Exmouth (50,129)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2770 troops, 23 guns, 49 vehicles, Assault Value = 194

Defending force 748 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8

Allied adjusted assault: 132

Japanese adjusted defense: 3

Allied assault odds: 44 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
304 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
2/9th Armoured Regiment
3rd Army Tank Brigade
17th MG Battalion
25th MG Battalion

Defending units:
65th Naval Guard Unit

65th Naval Guard Unit Wiped Out at Exmouth by attrition!!!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 13, 42

ASW attack near Addu at 11,49

Japanese Ships
SS I-33, hits 2

Allied Ships
DD Duncan
BB Warspite
BB Mississippi
BB California
BB Pennsylvania
CA Vincennes
CA Quincy
DD McCalla
DD Clark
DD Walke
DD O'Brien
DD Russell

SS I-33 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Duncan
DD Clark attacking submerged sub ....
DD Walke fails to find sub and abandons search

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 14, 42

ASW attack near Addu at 18,49

Japanese Ships
SS I-124, hits 9, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB New Mexico
BB Idaho
BB West Virginia
DD Sims
DD Bancroft
DD Woodworth
DD Laffey
DD Grayson
DD Mustin
DD Hammann
DD Anderson
DD Hughes

SS I-124 is sighted by escort
DD Mustin fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Hammann fails to find sub and abandons search

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 15, 42

Sub attack near Addu at 18,49

Japanese Ships
SS I-31

Allied Ships
BB Mississippi, Torpedo hits 1
BB California
BB Pennsylvania
CA Vincennes
DD Lansdowne
DD Clark
DD Walke
DD O'Brien
DD Russell

SS I-31 launches 6 torpedoes at BB Mississippi
DD Clark fails to find sub and abandons search

Submarine attack near Balikpapan at 64,100

Japanese Ships
DD Shirayuki
DD Ushio
DD Sagiri
DD Ayanami

Allied Ships
SS Dolphin, hits 26, on fire, heavy damage

SS Dolphin is located by DD Shirayuki
Dolphin bottoming out ....
DD Ushio attacking submerged sub ....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 16, 42

Night Time Surface Combat, near Sinabang at 30,76, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CS Chiyoda
DD Hibiki
DD Ikazuchi
DD Inazuma
DD Shinonome

Allied Ships
xAKL Kwai Sang, Shell hits 19, and is sunk

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 35% moonlight: 10,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
xAKL Kwai Sang engages CS Chiyoda at 10,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
xAKL Kwai Sang engages CS Chiyoda at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
DD Ikazuchi engages xAKL Kwai Sang at 6,000 yards
xAKL Kwai Sang sunk by CS Chiyoda at 6,000 yards
xAKL Kwai Sang sunk by CS Chiyoda at 6,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

Sub attack near Victoria Point at 49,65

Japanese Ships
DD Nagatsuki, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Fumizuki

Allied Ships
SS KXII

SS KXII launches 2 torpedoes at DD Nagatsuki
KXII diving deep ....
DD Fumizuki fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fumizuki attacking submerged sub ....
SS KXII eludes ASW attack from DD Fumizuki

Morning Air attack on 2nd RTA Division, at 55,48 , near Ramree Island

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 11
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 34

Allied aircraft
Lysander II x 29
Wirraway x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Lysander II: 11 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Lysander II bombing from 6000 feet *
Ground Attack: 2 x 100 lb GP Bomb

Ground combat at 55,48 (near Ramree Island)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 30308 troops, 121 guns, 203 vehicles, Assault Value = 1388

Defending force 14566 troops, 110 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 756

Allied adjusted assault: 495

Japanese adjusted defense: 649

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
739 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 129 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2352 casualties reported
Squads: 93 destroyed, 178 disabled
Non Combat: 31 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 21 (10 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Vehicles lost 10 (4 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
15th/1st Punjab Battalion
84th Indian Brigade
Upper Burma BAF Battalion
Rangoon BAF Battalion
Railway BAF Battalion
267th Armoured Brigade
7/12 Frontier Force Battalion
RM Viper Force
75th IAC Regiment
5th Chinese Corps

Defending units:
2nd RTA Division
3rd RTA Division
6th RTA Division

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 19, 42

Sub attack near Wakkanai at 124,48

Japanese Ships
xAK Syunko Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
PB Shinko Maru #2

Allied Ships
SS S-44

SS S-44 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Syunko Maru
PB Shinko Maru #2 fails to find sub, continues to search...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 20, 42

Sub attack near Cam Ranh Bay at 64,73

Japanese Ships
TK Nisshin Maru #2, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires
SC Ch 27
TK Tonan Maru #3
TK Nisshin Maru
DD Yugao

Allied Ships
SS O24

SS O24 launches 4 torpedoes at TK Nisshin Maru #2
DD Yugao fails to find sub, continues to search...

Morning Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 19

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 26
P-39D Airacobra x 61
P-400 Airacobra x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 1 damaged

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
No.76 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
12th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 13000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
8th FG/35th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 17000.
58th FG/67th FS with P-400 Airacobra (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes
8th FG/80th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes

Raid detected at 92 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 23
P-39D Airacobra x 53
P-400 Airacobra x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 5 destroyed
P-400 Airacobra: 2 destroyed

Ground combat at 76,51 (near Chihkiang)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 102722 troops, 993 guns, 345 vehicles, Assault Value = 3657

Defending force 32542 troops, 193 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1194

Japanese adjusted assault: 2760

Allied adjusted defense: 1996

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
7457 casualties reported
Squads: 169 destroyed, 374 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 127 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 91 disabled
Guns lost 63 (22 destroyed, 41 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2056 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 495 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 58 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 41 disabled
Guns lost 40 (4 destroyed, 36 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
138th Infantry Regiment
32nd Division
2nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
36th Division
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
66th Infantry Regiment
6th Ind.Mixed Brigade
1st Mobile Engineer Regiment
27th Division
56th Engineer Regiment
35th Division
41st Division
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd Mobile Engineer Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
51st Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
1st Mortar Battalion
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
25th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Corps
13th Chinese Corps
16th Chinese Corps
33rd Chinese Corps
39th Chinese Corps

The A6M3a is online, one of the most useful and versatile offensive weapons for Japan. Fragile but allowing deep attacks and sweeps, it is a plane I like but use carefully. The A6M5 should arrive around the turn of the new year with its higher durability.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 8/7/2013 12:20:13 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 529
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 8:13:53 AM   
JocMeister

How many fighters do you get from the cost of the Musashi? I´m guessing a lot?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 530
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 8:21:59 AM   
obvert

Yes, a lot. Pax or Mike Solli or someone else much more able to calculate these things wil tell us one day. I'm fine with 'a lot!'

One note, I realized the A6M5 is coming in Novemeber/42 now, so quite early. The A6M line surely won't save me, especially not with the few CVs I have left, but since I screwed up R n D last game I just want to see where this goes if keep pushing as far forward as I can on such a long line. The A6M5b is already being researched by 150 factories. Only one will convert to production with the A6M5, bringing the total to around 160 zeros a month or so. I'll need a lot of cheap escorts when he comes.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 531
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 9:01:19 AM   
obvert

21 - 30 September 1942

SUBS: Allied subs continue to menace. I've closed runs to Sakhalin bases and I've moved some ASW air up to Sapporo. We've still only lost mediocre 10-12 know cargo ships at a rate of about 1 every three turns, so it's not too bad. Once the air assets train up he'll start paying for working so class to our bases on known routes.

CHINA: In China he did manage to reinforce the stack at the river crossing and now we're stuck there. My DA on the 22nd achieved only a 1:2 and meant we needed more rest time, and he brought in more. I'm hitting the nearby airfields daily and Chungking will be the target once Changsha is ready to host the bombers. It's nearing level 5 airfields now. The next hope is the Tuyun area.

For some unknown reason Torsten moved units out of that base! I gladly moved in. He probably was trying a trap, but it seems to have backfired a bit. He sent a stack shocking across the river at the two brigades I'd sent in to take the city. It simply went over to our side (the local warlord was paid off) and we kept the level 2 forts. So on the 27th his 1124AV crossed and got smashed. Now they're skulking back north. Tuyun doesn't give us a lot, but I'm preparing another 3k AV army and I'll likely send it into the rough hex next to the base to attack his four unit in the wilds. He can't have more than 1k AV there, and if I've got more than three times his amount of good quality troops with supply I should be able to break through. I hope.

PACIFIC: On the 21st more sweeps came in over PM and this time the Allies got slightly the better of it. I moved a sub into the PM hex and some of the pilots were saved as a result, which is great.

The Perth arrives at Rossel Island and sinks a resupply run for the very small garrison there.

BURMA: No air action as I take a break to build Tojo pools and get more air support into the area. Torsten didn't bomb during this time either which is interesting. Must be something in the works.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 21, 42

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 19
P-39D Airacobra x 47
P-400 Airacobra x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 9 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 3 destroyed
P-400 Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 17000 and 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes
No.76 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 23000.
12th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 23000.
8th FG/35th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
58th FG/67th FS with P-400 Airacobra (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
8th FG/80th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 26000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes

Raid detected at 89 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 16
P-39D Airacobra x 32
P-400 Airacobra x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 13
P-39D Airacobra x 31
P-400 Airacobra x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 24, 42

Sub attack near Wakkanai at 123,48

Japanese Ships
PB Taiko Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PB Kogane Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-27

SS S-27 launches 2 torpedoes at PB Taiko Maru
S-27 bottoming out ....
PB Kogane Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 25, 42

Sub attack near Toyohara at 125,46

Japanese Ships
xAK Nitiho Maru, Torpedo hits 1
xAK Tosei Maru
PB Shinko Maru #2

Allied Ships
SS S-46

SS S-46 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Nitiho Maru
S-46 bottoming out ....
PB Shinko Maru #2 attacking submerged sub ....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 27, 42

Ground combat at Tuyun (74,51)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 28932 troops, 313 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1124

Defending force 11712 troops, 76 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 422

Allied adjusted assault: 215

Japanese adjusted defense: 748

Allied assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-)

Japanese ground losses:
509 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 30 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
4113 casualties reported
Squads: 192 destroyed, 241 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 49 disabled

Engineers: 7 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 47 (10 destroyed, 37 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Chinese Cavalry Corps
55th Chinese Corps
76th Chinese Corps
86th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
56th Chinese/B Corps
7th Artillery Regiment
4th Heavy Mortar Regiment
22nd Artillery Regiment
3rd Heavy Mortar Regiment
1st Artillery Regiment
30th Group Army
4th War Area
18th Artillery Regiment
9th Group Army
20th Artillery Regiment
56th AT Gun Regiment

Defending units:
57th Infantry Brigade
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 28, 42

Sub attack near Toyohara at 125,48

Japanese Ships
xAK Misaku Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
xAK Midori Maru
xAKL Shinmei Maru
xAKL Yuki Maru
xAKL Takegawa Maru
PB Mikitade Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-33

SS S-33 launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Misaku Maru
PB Mikitade Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

Ground combat at 76,51 (near Chihkiang)

Attacking force 107134 troops, 1095 guns, 1371 vehicles, Assault Value = 3867

Defending force 82830 troops, 455 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2555

Japanese adjusted assault: 2017

Allied adjusted defense: 3376

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
9741 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 854 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 122 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 90 disabled
Guns lost 42 (2 destroyed, 40 disabled)
Vehicles lost 122 (7 destroyed, 115 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5125 casualties reported
Squads: 30 destroyed, 578 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 62 disabled

Engineers: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 52 (6 destroyed, 46 disabled)

Assaulting units:
27th Division
32nd Division
10th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd Recon Battalion
6th Tank Regiment
1st Mobile Infantry Regiment
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
2nd Mobile Infantry Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
1st Recon Battalion
17th Tank Regiment
35th Division
41st Division
6th Ind.Mixed Brigade
56th Recon Regiment
36th Division
20th Recon Regiment
2nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
5th Tank Regiment
1st Mobile Engineer Regiment
2nd Mobile Engineer Regiment
66th Infantry Regiment
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
26th Recon Regiment
2nd Mobile Field Artillery Regiment
51st Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Army
1st Mobile AA Battalion
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
13th Army
12th Army
2nd Mobile AA Battalion
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion
1st Mobile Field Artillery Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
13th Chinese Corps
27th Chinese Corps
46th Chinese Corps
16th Chinese Corps
68th Chinese Corps
52nd Chinese Corps
33rd Chinese Corps
74th Chinese Corps
67th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Corps
25th Chinese Corps
53rd Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 29, 42

Submarine attack near Toyohara at 125,46

Japanese Ships
xAK Misaku Maru, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-33

xAK Misaku Maru is sighted by SS S-33
SS S-33 launches 2 torpedoes

Sub attack near Sapporo at 119,49

Japanese Ships
xAK Tatuha Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAKL Shinmei Maru
xAKL Takegawa Maru
PB Mikitade Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-42

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR September 30, 42

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rossel Island at 105,137, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
xAK Sydney Maru #2, Shell hits 23, and is sunk
xAK Amagi Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
PB Ikuta Maru, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Perth

Improved night sighting under 71% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 71% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 18,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 8,000 yards
xAK Amagi Maru sunk by CL Perth at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards

The Chinese have recovered well from their early offensives and the resulting collapse of the front. I think there is one more weak area to possibly exploit. If I can't break through on that far Southern flank in the rough hexes then this front may last for a good while. The other next option though is to weaken my forward positions to the extent Torsten feels he might be able to attack. A dangerous gambit, but it's worked so far, and it's always been to our advantage.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 532
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 9:24:25 AM   
obvert

1 - 9 October 1942

SUBS: I finally got a decent ASW attack from the 4 small 10 knot sub chasers I've stationed to the North of Hokkaido. They really don't do much, do they, in spite of their 8 DC rating in game.

CHINA: The bombing of Chungking is now underway. I'm hoping this has an effect on forward units, reducing supply in the biggest of the supply centers and making less available elsewhere. I've bombarded a few times in the river crossing hex and at Chikhiang, and both are very solid now, with the Chinese keeping roughly 2/3 of our AV levels.

PACIFIC: More sweeps over PM get eve numbers still. Also, the sub in the PM hex manages to knock out one of the small resupply ships he's using there.

BURMA: Since I won't play in the air Torsten has decided to bomb the ground troops in the clear areas. He nails the regiment at Magwe inflicting about 1/3 disablements in one day. I've begun moving AA units in and preparing Mandalay to base fighters to get in the way here. Burma is about to heat up! He is sweeping with roughly 230 fighters from Chittagong, and his total bomber strength is between 250-300. He seems to have all of the 4E currently available here play a good portion of 2E. I've got about 250 Tojos that will begin to get ready to move in.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 3, 42

Sub attack near Fukue-jima at 100,59

Japanese Ships
xAK Chojun Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SC CHa-28
xAK Shirashika Maru
xAK Banshu Maru
SC CHa-41

Allied Ships
SS Whale

SS Whale launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Chojun Maru
Whale diving deep ....
SC CHa-41 fails to find sub, continues to search...
SC CHa-41 fails to find sub, continues to search...

Sub attack near Wakkanai at 123,48

Japanese Ships
PB Sureboko Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
PB Kogane Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-42

SS S-42 launches 2 torpedoes at PB Sureboko Maru
S-42 bottoming out ....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 4, 42

ASW attack near Wakkanai at 123,48

Japanese Ships
SC CHa-34
SC CHa-21
SC CHa-9
SC CHa-27

Allied Ships
SS S-46, hits 7

SS S-46 is located by SC CHa-34
S-46 bottoming out ....
SC CHa-34 fails to find sub and abandons search
SC CHa-27 fails to find sub, continues to search...
SC CHa-27 attacking submerged sub ....
SC CHa-27 is out of ASW ammo

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 5, 42

Morning Air attack on Chungking , at 76,45

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 29 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 13

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 6, 42

Raid detected at 13 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 28
P-39D Airacobra x 44
P-400 Airacobra x 20
P-40E Warhawk x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Raid detected at 119 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 3

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 24
P-39D Airacobra x 31
P-400 Airacobra x 20
P-40E Warhawk x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Morning Air attack on Chungking , at 76,45

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 54
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 12
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 29

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 4 damaged
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 3 damaged

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Airbase hits 9
Runway hits 31

Aircraft Attacking:
29 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 6000 feet
29 x Ki-49-IIa Helen bombing from 6000 feet
25 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 6000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 7, 42

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 118 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 39 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 72

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 23
P-39D Airacobra x 29
P-400 Airacobra x 19
P-40E Warhawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 1 damaged
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
32 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet
10 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet
14 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 8, 42

Submarine attack near Port Moresby at 98,130

Japanese Ships
SS I-6

Allied Ships
xAKL Shinai, Shell hits 19, heavy fires, heavy damage

xAKL Shinai is sighted by SS I-6
SS I-6 attacking xAKL Shinai on the surface
SS I-6 low on gun ammo, Banno P. breaks off surface engagement and submerges

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 9, 42

Morning Air attack on 146th Infantry Regiment, at 57,47 (Magwe)

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 19
Hudson IIIa x 3
Wellington Ic x 3
Hudson I x 12
Hudson III (LR) x 3
B-18A Bolo x 3
B-17E Fortress x 36
B-17F Fortress x 11
B-24D Liberator x 35
B-25C Mitchell x 32
B-26B Marauder x 15

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
B-17F Fortress: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
664 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 57 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 9 (3 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Due to our HR using 2nd best maneuver band but no limits to CAP height, we've managed to tone down the Tojo in 42. It's not dominant when there are some planes above it on Cap, and although it still does well, it doesn't defend massed sweeps at the level I've experienced before either. Maybe because I've not been layering a much. I might need to throw some Oscars down low to attract the divers.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 8/8/2013 9:25:24 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 533
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 2:26:01 PM   
obvert

10 - 17 October 1942

Things have started getting interesting in Burma again. No other moves have been made around the board but the Allies are now preparing by all indications for some kind of a move.

SUBS: The ASW TF North of Hokkaido was destroyed as Torsten sends a lone Fletcher into Jaanese waters and boldly takes out these little ships. I moved in and attacked with with Kates on the 16th, crushing the DD with 11 250kg bombs. I'll move some 30 knot E into the contested area as well as some older DDs to add ASW and a surface defense. A Mavis unit will now be stationed at Paramushiro as well.

CHINA: Prep is ongoing for the move to the Southern flank of the Chinese lines. Several divisions are preparing to rail to Liuchow and some brigades are waiting there. I'll move them to Tuyun only when all are ready so there is less indication of something happening here.

PACIFIC: On the 12th a Furataka/Kako led force intercepts an Allied supply convoy for PM and pays back the Perth move a week before.

BURMA: Due to the severe punishment inflicted on the regiment stationed at Magwe on the 9th, I had to bring some CAP in on the 10th to contest the air. In spite of 120+ Tojos he gets the better of the day, mostly due to sweeping higher than the CAP and getting the dive. Also a massive cooperating sweep arrived with 140+ P-40s!! That hurt. Still we almost get 1:1 after os losses. No planes flew for either side on the 11th. On the 12th we both got massive coordinating sweep of each other's bases and found empty air.

On the 15h after several quiet days he attacked my regiment at Myitkyina, but this one was a bit more protected by the terrain. The 16th saw the airfields at magwe closed after big sweeps wore down the CAP. We got slightly less than 1:1 on the day, but still are working on the Allied pools and in general closing the gap in airframes lost. Our pilot quality and numbers are improving as well as most of these battles have been over our bases. I'll post some figures once things are caught up.

On the 17th the strikes again went for the regiment at Magwe, taking it to about half strength with massive disruption. On the 18th I had to again fight for the air, but without the fields at Magwe to use this time around.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOROctober 10, 42

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 122

Allied aircraft
Hurricane XIIb x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane XIIb: 3 destroyed

CAP engaged:
1st Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(21 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 21 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 22000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 3 minutes
77th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (6 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(20 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 14 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 22000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
9th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (0 airborne, 16 on standby, 16 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 22000 , scrambling fighters to 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 33 minutes
85th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (0 airborne, 17 on standby, 16 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 22000 , scrambling fighters to 22000.

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 104

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed

Raid spotted at 29 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 84

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 25

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 5 destroyed

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 70

Allied aircraft
P-400 Airacobra x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-400 Airacobra: 4 destroyed

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 61

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 53

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 32
Kittyhawk I x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 12
P-40E Warhawk x 98

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 15 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Kittyhawk I sweeping at 20000 feet *
13 x Hurricane IIb Trop sweeping at 20000 feet
13 x Hurricane IIb Trop sweeping at 20000 feet
9 x Kittyhawk IA sweeping at 20000 feet *
20 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
18 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
11 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
17 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR October 12, 42

Day Time Surface Combat, near Milne Bay at 98,137, Range 23,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kako
CL Tenryu
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Sazanami

Allied Ships
AM Bowen, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
AM Launceton, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Admiral Halstead, Shell hits 22, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Lipscomb Lykes, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 23,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 23,000 yards
CA Furutaka engages AM Bowen at 23,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards
CL Tenryu engages xAK Admiral Halstead at 20,000 yards
CA Furutaka engages xAK Admiral Halstead at 20,000 yards

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOROctober 16, 42

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 42
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 84

Allied aircraft
P-40K Warhawk x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 4 destroyed

Raid spotted at 28 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 42
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 72

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 30
Hurricane XIIb x 16
P-38F Lightning x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 9 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed
Hurricane XIIb: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Hurricane XIIb sweeping at 31000 feet
10 x Hurricane IIc Trop sweeping at 31000 feet *
7 x Hurricane IIc Trop sweeping at 31000 feet *
12 x P-38F Lightning sweeping at 31000 feet

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 31
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 46

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk I x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 12
P-40E Warhawk x 160

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Kittyhawk I sweeping at 20000 feet *
11 x Kittyhawk IA sweeping at 20000 feet *
12 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
19 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
23 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
24 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
23 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
13 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 28
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 35

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 21
Hudson IIIa x 3
Hudson I x 12
Hudson III (LR) x 12
B-18A Bolo x 10
B-17E Fortress x 57
B-17F Fortress x 2
B-24D Liberator x 39
B-25C Mitchell x 24
B-26B Marauder x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Hudson III (LR): 1 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 2 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Airbase hits 59
Airbase supply hits 23
Runway hits 174

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 32

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 12
Hudson IIIa x 6
Wellington Ic x 3
B-18A Bolo x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

Runway hits 11

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Blenheim IV bombing from 6000 feet *
10 x B-18A Bolo bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 31

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 12
Hudson IIIa x 8
B-25C Mitchell x 7
B-26 Marauder x 3
B-26B Marauder x 14

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-26B Marauder: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B-26B Marauder bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Day Time Surface Combat, near Wakkanai at 123,48, Range 18,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
SC CHa-9, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
SC CHa-21, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
SC CHa-27, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
SC CHa-34, Shell hits 6, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD O'Bannon

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 22,000 yards
Range closes to 24,000 yards...
Range closes to 22,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 22,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 22,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards
DD O'Bannon engages SC CHa-9 at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
DD O'Bannon engages SC CHa-21 at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
SC CHa-34 sunk by DD O'Bannon at 2,000 yards
DD O'Bannon engages SC CHa-21 at 2,000 yards
SC CHa-21 sunk by DD O'Bannon at 2,000 yards
Combat ends with last Japanese ship sunk...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOROctober 17, 42

Morning Air attack on TF, near Uruppu-jima at 130,50

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 8
B5N1 Kate x 17

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD O'Bannon, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 5000 feet

Massive explosion on DD O'Bannon
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD O'Bannon

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Uruppu-jima at 130,50

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 8
B5N1 Kate x 17

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD O'Bannon, Bomb hits 6, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 5000 feet

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD O'Bannon

Morning Air attack on 146th Infantry Regiment, at 57,47 (Magwe)

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 15
Hudson I x 10
B-18A Bolo x 10
B-17E Fortress x 32
B-24D Liberator x 11
B-25C Mitchell x 17
B-26B Marauder x 14

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
453 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 36 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet *
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

I'm just starting to figure out the air war with our HR, and every time new planes are introduced it throws me as the altitude settings change. The hurry IIb have done really well against Tojos for some reason.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 534
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 6:54:35 PM   
JocMeister

Sorry but I can´t remember. What was the HR?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 535
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 7:03:18 PM   
koniu

quote:

- Musashi arrive on 1 December 1942. So 359 days of production
- Each day require 233 naval points
- Every naval point cost 3 HI points

So 359x233x3=250941 HI points to produce Musashi

Each Single engine planes cost 36 HI (18 for engine and 18 for airframe)

250941/36= 6970,58 1E planes

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 536
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 8:30:49 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

I've stopped BB Musashi.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 8/8/2013 8:32:12 PM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 537
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 11:31:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

Sorry. It's 2nd best maneuver band for sweepers only. So CAP can go to max if it wants to do so. The P-40 has been markedly better in this game than in ours, Jocke.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 538
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/8/2013 11:37:57 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

I've stopped BB Musashi.

WOW!!!

Thanks koniu. I'm going to tweak my production immediately! That is more than the IJ produced in all of 1941, and almost as many total fighters as in 43!

I wish now I would have stopped more tankers and merchants in my other game, but who knew my ASW would sink 110+ subs in that one?

In this one I've turned off more ships but I'm taking more losses to subs, so I'll have to keep a close watch of what is needed vs what I've lost.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 539
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/9/2013 6:42:46 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

Sorry. It's 2nd best maneuver band for sweepers only. So CAP can go to max if it wants to do so. The P-40 has been markedly better in this game than in ours, Jocke.

Thats an interesting one! Strongly favours the defender... I think that will benefit you in the end! What are your impressions so far?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI