Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VCR problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> VCR problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VCR problem - 4/11/2001 2:24:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

It’s simply not working. :( Although there was some shots between my forces and my partner ones, VCR doesn’t show any thing. Even more: GREEN LIGHT that you have to click to view VCR appears in RED :confused: Do any of you have an idea about what could be working wrong? My partner has the same problem in this particular game. Before you ask: yes, we were sending each other all necessary files (xx.dat, xx.cmt, xx.aux and xx.rec) Tanks in advance.

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
Post #: 1
- 4/11/2001 3:16:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Which version of the game are you using?

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 2
- 4/11/2001 3:32:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Which version of the game are you using?
4.5 Paul.

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 3
- 4/11/2001 10:12:00 AM   
Rhodan

I might add that I also have problems with VCR, mostly messages telling me that I don't have enough memory for VCR. I have 128 MB...that HURT :P Rho

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 4
- 4/11/2001 11:46:00 AM   
ectizen

I've had the "not enough memory" messages with 256MB. Although I think it's only happened when I've been testing ideas: starting a scenario, playing a turn or two, quitting the battle, starting another scenario, playing 1 or 2 turns, quitting, starting again, etc... It feels like memory fragmentation - perhaps SP is allocating a large chunk of memory at startup and using pieces of this chunk as required. After a lot of stops and starts, the available pieces might be too small to use. I could imagine this happening if you play a turn from a bunch of different PBEMs in one sitting. I don't know if this is the problem, but if it is, then completely exiting and restarting SP:WAW (the game, not the battle) every once in a while should help. Maybe after 2 or 3 different battles. I'll finish this message with the warning that I haven't actually tried this, and I'm probably basing all of this on some flaky reasoning. But the way I look at it is: it might help, and it can't hurt. :)

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 5
- 4/12/2001 12:50:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

It's working OK now... and without have done anything ... Can you believe it? :confused: but :D

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 6
- 4/12/2001 3:46:00 AM   
David F. Wall

Let me suggest the following: In these days of burgeoning broadband, people frequently leave their systems booted for days on end. Or maybe you never shut your computer off just because. Or whatever. Windows 95, 98, and all derivatives thereof do not have the infrastructure required for demanding operations over these time frames without reboot. Windows NT 4.0 with the later service packs are measurably better. Windows 2000 provides another level of improvement. SP:WAW 4.5 is an application that puts demands on the system, and if you run a couple of others, particularly if they're memory-hungry, you can begin to get fragmentation of memory, page file space, or you might have something with a slow memory leak running on the system. This is a hideous way to have to deal with a consumer product, but it is a fact. So if you're having a problem like this, my first suggestion is that you reboot your system (don't just log out, REBOOT) and try again and see if things are better. Remember, when applications request resources like memory, they have to believe what the operating system tells them. The trouble is, the quality of the operating system's information degenerates in this case. DFW

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 7
- 4/12/2001 6:13:00 AM   
Behemoth

I had the same problem right after I DLed a new Campaign, I thought that was maybe the problem. I ran norton optimizer(or whatever it's called) defraged and rearranged my swap file and *poof* no more problem. Never had this problem before though, so if it comes back I'll just take back advice. I was playing wild bill's 88 Rommel camp. by the way. Hope this helps. -B

“What do you mean you don't do it? Of course you do it. We all do it. We love to do it. I just did it and I'm ready to do it again.” -Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> VCR problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI