Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A) Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 4:15:57 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

So what happened to all those guys willing to die for the emperor?

Did they?

Combat reports leave so much to be desired.

Set us up with great anticipation waiting to see what happens and.........(crickets chirping)...................NOTHING!

What altitude did they go in at? I have always operated under the general forum wisdom of dive bombing needing to be set between 10k-14k. I set mine at 12k typically.

They will dive bomb from 15K too.

Those pilots did die along with the planes, they just couldn't hit the target. I wonder if they use their lowNav skill, which is probably pretty poor, but offset by most likely high experience high defense pilots.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3241
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 4:21:35 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 10000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
4 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb

Banzai! - Kawakubo I. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor
Banzai! - Matsuyama I. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor
Banzai! - Shiga E. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor
Banzai! - Kamisaka S. in a D4Y4 Judy is willing to die for the Emperor

What is up with the crazy high altitude drop?

I hadn't noticed that! I'd have to watch again, but those were probably it by flak, and maybe it gives that message when they convert to Kamis after being hit at 10k?

Or on the approach they just got hit and dropped from there?

My limited interpretation of the variable altitude that dive bombers release at is related to pilot EXP, and that it effects accuracy.

A high EXP pilot is more likely to pass the rolls to "ride the bomb down" to a lower altitude before releasing the payload, and thus have higher bomb accuracy. A lower EXP pilot is not as likely to have the nerve to go the extra 7k feet.

You can see it with the KB pilots, they're quite happy to ride the bombs down to 1000ft before dropping.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3242
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/4/2019 8:22:26 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing
A high EXP pilot is more likely to pass the rolls to "ride the bomb down" to a lower altitude before releasing the payload, and thus have higher bomb accuracy. A lower EXP pilot is not as likely to have the nerve to go the extra 7k feet.

Would be funny if the pilots chickened out dropping from 10k, and then had a surge of righteousness and kimikazed

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3243
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 12:20:46 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Would be funny if the pilots chickened out dropping from 10k, and then had a surge of righteousness and kimikazed

My understanding is that that transition is linked to damage.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4629061

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 3244
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 7:21:02 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

My understanding is that that transition is linked to damage.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4629061

It was a bumpy ride up there with late war Allied flak. This is also where the IJN strike planes suffer without armor more and more as the game goes on.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 3245
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 7:49:32 AM   
obvert

July 31, 1945

The Allies get a bit frustrated with Manila CAP and decide to use strategic assets here. Not a lot I can do when B-29s are hitting outlying bases at night. This is why I dislike night bombing in game (either side). He sneaks under the 50 plane HR we have on night bombing airfields and ports, but with B-29s it doesn't really matter. The Allies manage to hit for about 50 airframes and 80+ hits to the fields in thunderstorms.

Ok. Bitching done. I know this is an option and I placed fighters here in numbers. It's on me and I just have to ensure there are NF and flak present from now on.

So the fun's over on Luzon and I'll bug out with virtually everything I can. The day sweeps and strikes did a bunch more damage. I did manage to get 2/3 of the fuel and oil out in the past few days, although some of course was lost in the air strikes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 31, 1945
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-83: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-102b Randy: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 7 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet
Airfield Attack: 20 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid detected at 21 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-100-II Tony: 1 destroyed on ground
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-83: 4 destroyed on ground
A6M5b Zero: 3 destroyed on ground
E13A1b Jake: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 4 damaged

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 20

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-83: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 2 damaged

Runway hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-100-II Tony: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-102b Randy: 3 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid spotted at 29 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 8

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 7000 feet

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid spotted at 44 NM, estimated altitude 40,900 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 7
Ki-83 x 8
Ki-100-II Tony x 9
Ki-102b Randy x 2

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 3 destroyed
Ki-83: 1 destroyed
Ki-102b Randy: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1A Corsair: 1 destroyed

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-102b Randy: 2 destroyed on ground
A6M5b Zero: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-83: 5 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 9
Runway hits 14

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 7000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/5/2019 7:59:43 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3246
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 7:52:31 AM   
obvert

Now for the more important news!

SOVIETS ARE ACTIVE!!!

It's August. It's 1945. The A-bombs are coming. Tokyo? Osaka?

The accumulation of VPs is going to accelerate now with huge tank divisions rolling across Manchuria and more and more strategic bombing coming into play, as well as the Pacific gap narrowing with Luzon captured and nearby islands threatened. The dark days are upon us, and winter is coming.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3247
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 11:18:24 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

July 31, 1945

The Allies get a bit frustrated with Manila CAP and decide to use strategic assets here. Not a lot I can do when B-29s are hitting outlying bases at night. This is why I dislike night bombing in game (either side). He sneaks under the 50 plane HR we have on night bombing airfields and ports, but with B-29s it doesn't really matter. The Allies manage to hit for about 50 airframes and 80+ hits to the fields in thunderstorms.

Petes on night CAP. What do you have, like 22 night fighter squadrons?

Looks like there was pretty good AA there.

I saw a HR with Mr. Kane/Wargamer where no 4E night bombing of runways and ports. Not sure what I think of that....might want to give an exception to the Soviets and the British. Haven't really thought on it too much.

One of the worst results of night bombing is the dispersal of Japanese fighter defenses.

I agree there should be a bigger weather penalty, or more frequent cancellations.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3248
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 12:34:14 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

July 31, 1945

Petes on night CAP. What do you have, like 22 night fighter squadrons?

Looks like there was pretty good AA there.

I saw a HR with Mr. Kane/Wargamer where no 4E night bombing of runways and ports. Not sure what I think of that....might want to give an exception to the Soviets and the British. Haven't really thought on it too much.

One of the worst results of night bombing is the dispersal of Japanese fighter defenses.

I agree there should be a bigger weather penalty, or more frequent cancellations.

Well, I'm not even sure I have Petes left in this one! They might have done something, but NF are all up where they can defend the really critical Strat bases and big airfields in the HI/China/Manchuria.

This was just a cheap CAP trap so I shouldn't complain really. It just brings up the long standing dislike for this one very small (but important) aspect of the game design. I know I've got the benefit of crazy airframes and top notch pilots at a time when 14 year old Japanese boys should be flying bi-plane trainers.

Curious how the Soviet air forces will be used. i'e set some sweeps. Wanted to get a feel before anything too crazy. I bet he'll make good se of them though. It's another 1,000 fighters and 1,000 bombers to contend with.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3249
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 1:20:49 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

The dark days are upon us, and winter is coming.

Just watch out for the girl hiding in the back!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3250
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 3:31:32 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL:

I think after those massive fires, we can rule out Sapporo.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3251
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 6:10:35 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

This is why I dislike night bombing in game (either side). He sneaks under the 50 plane HR we have on night bombing airfields and ports, but with B-29s it doesn't really matter

I've done a 180 degree turn on night bombing.

I used to have the exact same frame of mind as you, but it was the wrong mindset for a truly enjoyable game. No number of house rules will remove the fact that there's three air phases in the game: Night, AM and PM.

Ignoring a third of the air war hurts the game and makes players sloppy. Like in this instance - no night CAP at all. Dispersed airbases, rail lines, surging squadrons back and forth from reserve bases.

You don't need to house-rule night bombing, you just need sufficent investment in night-time CAP. Not just dedicated NF either, but as robust a CAP as you'd put up in the day-time. That always is a sore point for resource scarce Japan, but it's the case.

This is the Allied counter-move to massed IJ air assets concentrated at a few major airbases. It's the right move to make.

Fighting the B-29s on airbase attack as Japan is difficult, but it should always be done. You know yourself that the B-29 is a temperamental airframe to keep operational through combat. You'll never straight up trade 1:1 on B-29s, but you dont need to. Ops takes it toll, and a damaged B-29 isn't going to be operational for weeks.

The damage B-29s can do is extreme, but it's only as such when unopposed. If there is the same emphasis on night air combat as night air combat, such extreme results would be rare. The Allies can throw enough B-29s to make a base unusable, but better that they fly at night. Some get lost, some don't fly, some crash. Others miss the target or get disrupted by flak or night CAP. All of these are positive outcomes for Japan when the Allies decide to deploy their most flexible air asset.

Fighting B-29s (and night bombing in general) is all about that tactical loss for a strategic gain. Sure, your tactical position on the frontline was degraded, but that's an Allied asset that isn't targeting a strategic one for the next week or so.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3252
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 7:34:04 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL:

I think after those massive fires, we can rule out Sapporo.

Yeah. All of that to hit about 50 remaining intact factories/resources.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3253
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 7:44:13 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

This is why I dislike night bombing in game (either side). He sneaks under the 50 plane HR we have on night bombing airfields and ports, but with B-29s it doesn't really matter

I've done a 180 degree turn on night bombing.

I have no problem with night bombing most things. Only airfields and ports. And then I think it's fine if limited.

quote:

You don't need to house-rule night bombing, you just need sufficent investment in night-time CAP. Not just dedicated NF either, but as robust a CAP as you'd put up in the day-time. That always is a sore point for resource scarce Japan, but it's the case.

This is the Allied counter-move to massed IJ air assets concentrated at a few major airbases. It's the right move to make.

Fighting the B-29s on airbase attack as Japan is difficult, but it should always be done. You know yourself that the B-29 is a temperamental airframe to keep operational through combat. You'll never straight up trade 1:1 on B-29s, but you dont need to. Ops takes it toll, and a damaged B-29 isn't going to be operational for weeks.

The damage B-29s can do is extreme, but it's only as such when unopposed. If there is the same emphasis on night air combat as night air combat, such extreme results would be rare. The Allies can throw enough B-29s to make a base unusable, but better that they fly at night. Some get lost, some don't fly, some crash. Others miss the target or get disrupted by flak or night CAP. All of these are positive outcomes for Japan when the Allies decide to deploy their most flexible air asset.

Fighting B-29s (and night bombing in general) is all about that tactical loss for a strategic gain. Sure, your tactical position on the frontline was degraded, but that's an Allied asset that isn't targeting a strategic one for the next week or so.

Got all that already. I've played through this phase before. As I said earlier, this is on me. It's an outlying base, but it clarifies how much I dislike the way the game deals with night bombing results against airfields and ports.

The HR is 50 planes per base per turn. It doesn't stop it, as shown here. This was within the rules. It's just kinda dumb in a game from this era, early for Japan or late for the Allies. I've experienced much worse though.

The reason he's bombing down here is that virtually all of the bases up North do have NF and heavy flak present. My laziness here was not counting hexes on range of B-29s from China. My bad as I said earlier.

Post #: 3254
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/5/2019 9:13:09 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

I have no problem with night bombing most things. Only airfields and ports. And then I think it's fine if limited.

As I said, night bombing is the counter the Allies have to entrenched IJ air power. Limiting that severely upsets the tactical options the Allies have to break down IJ airpower.

"Death by B-29" for ports and airbases is unfortunate, but it can be avoided with diligent planning and deployments. Taking that from the Allied toolbox and it stalls the air war in a way that heavily favours Japan.

The fact that the Allies night bomb at all is a net win for Japan, given the massive decrease to sorties that results from night operations.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3255
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/6/2019 9:48:04 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

As I said, night bombing is the counter the Allies have to entrenched IJ air power. Limiting that severely upsets the tactical options the Allies have to break down IJ airpower.

"Death by B-29" for ports and airbases is unfortunate, but it can be avoided with diligent planning and deployments. Taking that from the Allied toolbox and it stalls the air war in a way that heavily favours Japan.

The fact that the Allies night bomb at all is a net win for Japan, given the massive decrease to sorties that results from night operations.

I completely understand your position. I simply disagree.

The air war is not stalled. With the HR we are using he can strike with all of those B-29s to hit many bases every turn, just not 350 on one base. Results become unmanageable for either side with large numbers, as is true for many aspects of the game design.

I am not a player who plays for historical accuracy, but I like it when the tools used in game do reflect some of their actual period capability. A bit skewed is fine, but since neither side actually got results bombing airfields or ports at night in any part of the war, this seems like one part of the game that can be given a limitation. The limitation still allows for unhistorically damaging night bombing. Just not catastrophically unhistorical night bombing.

If the Allies could night bomb with this kind of accuracy they would never have risked daylight bombing at all. None of Rabaul's field should have lasted more than a few weeks, and every ship in the port would have been sunk in a few B-17 raids. Kamakazes would have never been an issue because all of the fields would have been closed and the planes destroyed on the ground at night.

Post #: 3256
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/6/2019 11:24:24 AM   
HansBolter

The few times I have tried bombing airfields with B29s have resulted in abysmal performances.

Heck, I can't even get them to hit individual strategic targets like distinct factories with any degree of accuracy.

They only seem to be good at area bombing hitting manpower.

What are these other players doing to get such accuracy out of them?

My vote goes with MMs take on the air war.

Your argument in response cuts both ways. The Japanese never had the capability to have a huge operational air force with quality pilots in the late war period either so descrying an a-historic ability on the Allied side that counters that is a bit disingenuous. No offense intended.

Hans

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3257
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/6/2019 12:41:17 PM   
obvert

quote:

The few times I have tried bombing airfields with B29s have resulted in abysmal performances.

Heck, I can't even get them to hit individual strategic targets like distinct factories with any degree of accuracy.

Your argument in response cuts both ways. The Japanese never had the capability to have a huge operational air force with quality pilots in the late war period either so descrying an a-historic ability on the Allied side that counters that is a bit disingenuous. No offense intended.

I completely agree that the Japanese did not have the ability to have a potent Air Force late, but that is a product of many factors, some of which are either not present in game or changeable by player choices. I'm happy to play my next as Japan without R & D (if I do play another) and I do know this feature changes the air war.

I have two Allied games going though, and have a lot of fun trying to beat the unhistorical Japanese. It's a challenge and there are numerous counters.

This argument though is not about Japanese capabilities vs Allied counters, because night bombing airfields and ports works too successfully for both sides. I shouldn't be able to take out the entire Chinese Air Force in one raid in 42 either. Or sink all of the ships in Singapore port with a few Bettys and Nells on night strikes.

It's not about one side's strength to counter another's, it's about this being something that wasn't possible in the era this game takes place. It's like adding guided bombs to the arsenal. And, as shown above ruthlessly by Mr Roper, the limits I advocate still allow the tactic to work extremely well when no NF and limited flak are present.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/6/2019 12:42:10 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3258
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/7/2019 12:08:45 PM   
obvert

August 1, 1945

The first day of Soviet activation is fairly quiet, but there is some action.

The B-29s hit Manchurian airfields at night this turn, and one of my best NF groups chose to take the night off. Not sure what happened, but after the urn I checked and they were set for 8k, which would have been perfect to catch these strikes at 9k. Oh, well. The smaller A6M5-S NF did engage and a few B-29s are likely lost. Around 20 airframes hit on the ground.

I sent Ki-83 sweeps at Vlad and they did very well against the two airframes present, the Yak-9 and 9D. They got about 7:1 on the day!!

I'll keep some going and begin deeper recon as well. I see troops moving acrosss in various places. I decided to go for deep defense rather than any forward rail cutting endeavors. Early stages here might be quiet as the Soviets kill off border forts and advance through empty land.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Aug 1, 1945

Night Air attack on Harbin , at 109,39

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-46-III KAI Dinah x 4

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-III KAI Dinah: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-1 Superfort: 2 damaged

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-29-1 Superfort bombing from 9000 feet

Night Air attack on Changchun , at 106,41

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5d-S Zero x 3

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5d-S Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 3 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-29-25 Superfort bombing from 9000 feet

Night Air attack on Changchun , at 106,41

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29B Superfort x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-79a Nate: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-30 Ann: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29B Superfort: 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 27

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-29B Superfort bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 36 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Vladivostok , at 112,46

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 42,370 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K5-J George x 34
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 36

Allied aircraft
Yak-9 x 38
Yak-9D x 106

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K5-J George: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Yak-9: 2 destroyed
Yak-9D: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x N1K5-J George sweeping at 39370 feet

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 43,530 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 35
Ki-83 x 44

Allied aircraft
Yak-9 x 23
Yak-9D x 88

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-83: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Yak-9: 2 destroyed
Yak-9D: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
38 x Ki-83 sweeping at 41530 feet

Raid detected at 44 NM, estimated altitude 46,530 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-83 x 11

Allied aircraft
Yak-9 x 19
Yak-9D x 65

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Yak-9: 1 destroyed
Yak-9D: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Ki-83 sweeping at 41530 feet

Raid detected at 198 NM, estimated altitude 42,370 feet.
Estimated time to target is 56 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K5-J George x 3

Allied aircraft
Yak-9 x 16
Yak-9D x 51

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Yak-9D: 6 destroyed

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/10/2019 2:54:55 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3259
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/7/2019 12:25:09 PM   
Wuffer

quote:

Feb 1, 1945

you are so much better :-)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3260
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/7/2019 12:35:41 PM   
Lowpe

How did the Soviets set up their altitudes?

Let me know plz, when you run into the P63A.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/7/2019 12:41:33 PM >

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 3261
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/9/2019 9:50:39 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

I completely understand your position. I simply disagree.

The air war is not stalled. With the HR we are using he can strike with all of those B-29s to hit many bases every turn, just not 350 on one base. Results become unmanageable for either side with large numbers, as is true for many aspects of the game design.

I am not a player who plays for historical accuracy, but I like it when the tools used in game do reflect some of their actual period capability. A bit skewed is fine, but since neither side actually got results bombing airfields or ports at night in any part of the war, this seems like one part of the game that can be given a limitation. The limitation still allows for unhistorically damaging night bombing. Just not catastrophically unhistorical night bombing.

If the Allies could night bomb with this kind of accuracy they would never have risked daylight bombing at all. None of Rabaul's field should have lasted more than a few weeks, and every ship in the port would have been sunk in a few B-17 raids. Kamakazes would have never been an issue because all of the fields would have been closed and the planes destroyed on the ground at night.

B-29s (and strategic bombers in general) were not used in penny packets. They were the big hammer.

I think that your chosen methods of getting "historical damage" forces very bizarre use of B-29's that seriously hampers Allied options in air strategy.

My take is that this is 1945, the Allies are using one of the most technologically advanced airframes in existence, ram packed with gizmos, including radar.

If the Allies want to smash a port, airbase or city by night, then they throw a couple hundred B-29s at it. No questioned asked. The Japanese role is to extract a sufficient toll as to make it unsustainable for the Allies long-term.

This was the dynamic of all air forces defending against strategic bombing efforts - you find methods to make it so expensive to inflict damage that the opposing side stops, or you lose.

quote:

You need to stack the odds in your favour, as with night bombing there's a high degree of randomness and inefficiency cause by night flying.

You can't control the moonlight and weather, but there's plenty you can control.

- Airbase development: size 9, plenty of aviation support, Air HQ present.
- Pilots: High EXP the better , 70+ is good, more is better. GrdB and Def skills should be through the roof. High EXP pilots are (IMO) one of the key determinants in planes actually performing well in the night bomber role (by not getting lost on the way).
- Leaders: Both in the Air HQ and in the squadrons. Helps get more planes flying.
- Recon: lots of DL hits on target bases well in advance of strikes.
- Targeting: Japan has a limited number of NF squadrons and F squadrons overall. They can't be everywhere at once.
- Radar: If they don't have radar, don't bother using them at night.

That's not an exhaustive list, but it's the core aspects of a successful strategic bomber force.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3262
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 3:03:37 PM   
obvert

quote:

B-29s (and strategic bombers in general) were not used in penny packets. They were the big hammer.

As shown by results, 50 B-29s is a big hammer! I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but this doesn't limit using B-29s or any other bomber each turn. Only how many can hit each base.

quote:

I think that your chosen methods of getting "historical damage" forces very bizarre use of B-29's that seriously hampers Allied options in air strategy.

Again, (repeating), I'm not interested in playing history. This simply is about historical parameters for a game based in a historical era. If you're playing a Civil War game you're not suddenly going to add night vision goggles to the infantry equipment.

quote:

My take is that this is 1945, the Allies are using one of the most technologically advanced airframes in existence, ram packed with gizmos, including radar.

If the Allies want to smash a port, airbase or city by night, then they throw a couple hundred B-29s at it. No questioned asked. The Japanese role is to extract a sufficient toll as to make it unsustainable for the Allies long-term.

All true, except that during the war they didn't do that!! They threw them en masse against strategic targets and carpet bombed cities! There is no interest on my part in limiting those options because if anything the game is a bit underpowered there.

quote:

This was the dynamic of all air forces defending against strategic bombing efforts - you find methods to make it so expensive to inflict damage that the opposing side stops, or you lose.

Strategic. This is the point. Bombing airfields/ports is tactical. Not strategic. It simply didn't happen in the war except in very critical isolated and extremely well-planned situations. Even those were not aways effective.

What you're missing here is that the Allies are not suffering for not being able to use more than 50 planes per target per turn to bomb ports or airfields. They're suffering for lack of well-defended targets. This Manila strike was one of the first he's tried within the HR parameters and it worked really well for him. So what's the prob?

Post #: 3263
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 3:57:16 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

As shown by results, 50 B-29s is a big hammer! I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but this doesn't limit using B-29s or any other bomber each turn. Only how many can hit each base.

Except that it's a rare occasions that 50 planes will actually hit a base, once all the dice rolls are considered.

That deflates damage caused, and makes it increasingly unlikely for Allied night bombing to reach its milestone of closing a IJ airbase for the following turn.

quote:

Again, (repeating), I'm not interested in playing history. This simply is about historical parameters for a game based in a historical era. If you're playing a Civil War game you're not suddenly going to add night vision goggles to the infantry equipment.

Except what you're doing in this scenario is preventing the Union from using Henry Rifles because they perform better in a night action than the muzzle loaders of the Confederacy.

quote:

All true, except that during the war they didn't do that!! They threw them en masse against strategic targets and carpet bombed cities! There is no interest on my part in limiting those options because if anything the game is a bit underpowered there.

Strategic. This is the point. Bombing airfields/ports is tactical. Not strategic. It simply didn't happen in the war except in very critical isolated and extremely well-planned situations. Even those were not aways effective.

There were extensive heavy bomber raids conducted on Japanese airbases in the run up to Okinawa to destroy kamikaze airframes on the ground.

I think you're missing the point. You're throttling the effectiveness of night attacks on targets that you consider tactical. At this point, the major strategic stumbling block for CR to attain victory is the IJ Air Force. He is impaired from prosecuting a strategy to break IJ Air Power due to HR's protecting what you consider tactical-level targets. To CR, the airbases contain planes and squadrons, so degrading them is a strategic target.

quote:

What you're missing here is that the Allies are not suffering for not being able to use more than 50 planes per target per turn to bomb ports or airfields. They're suffering for lack of well-defended targets. This Manila strike was one of the first he's tried within the HR parameters and it worked really well for him. So what's the prob?

I disagree, I think they're suffering terribly.

Emphasis mine.

As the current rule-set overwhelmingly favours the defender. You're going to see at most 50 planes during the night phase. That allows you to get a 1-1 ratio of defending CAP to attacking bombers by using one or two fighter squadrons (assuming average IJ fighter squadron size is 27-49 planes).

Most critically, there's little the Allies can do little to overcome concentrated IJ air power at large inland airbases.

On top of that, with that low limit on Allied attacking aircraft, you can effectively "nickel and dime" the assets IJ dedicates to night CAP. If a base has no major industry, then a single squadron on night CAP can provide an efficent counter to night bombing and not overstress the IJ's daytime efforts.

No ability to concentrate B-29s on airbase attack means that it is near impossible to attrition IJ air concentrations.

It's fair to pick at CR for tactically misusing some assets, but I've been following a while and I think that a large part of his difficulty in progressing in the air war is down to the pretty restrictive HR's on B-29s hitting airbases. You're not going to dispense with the HR, but I'd suggest upping the limit to 100 B-29's, or even better 150. That would go a long way to keeping night bombing a viable route to prosecute against large IJ air concentrations.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3264
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 4:06:43 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Except that it's a rare occasions that 50 planes will actually hit a base, once all the dice rolls are considered.

That deflates damage caused, and makes it increasingly unlikely for Allied night bombing to reach its milestone of closing a IJ airbase for the following turn.

quote:

Except what you're doing in this scenario is preventing the Union from using Henry Rifles because they perform better in a night action than the muzzle loaders of the Confederacy.

quote:

There were extensive heavy bomber raids conducted on Japanese airbases in the run up to Okinawa to destroy kamikaze airframes on the ground.

I think you're missing the point. You're throttling the effectiveness of night attacks on targets that you consider tactical. At this point, the major strategic stumbling block for CR to attain victory is the IJ Air Force. He is impaired from prosecuting a strategy to break IJ Air Power due to HR's protecting what you consider tactical-level targets. To CR, the airbases contain planes and squadrons, so degrading them is a strategic target.

quote:

Emphasis mine.

As the current rule-set overwhelmingly favours the defender. You're going to see at most 50 planes during the night phase. That allows you to get a 1-1 ratio of defending CAP to attacking bombers by using one or two fighter squadrons (assuming average IJ fighter squadron size is 27-49 planes).

Most critically, there's little the Allies can do little to overcome concentrated IJ air power at large inland airbases.

On top of that, with that low limit on Allied attacking aircraft, you can effectively "nickel and dime" the assets IJ dedicates to night CAP. If a base has no major industry, then a single squadron on night CAP can provide an efficent counter to night bombing and not overstress the IJ's daytime efforts.

No ability to concentrate B-29s on airbase attack means that it is near impossible to attrition IJ air concentrations.

It's fair to pick at CR for tactically misusing some assets, but I've been following a while and I think that a large part of his difficulty in progressing in the air war is down to the pretty restrictive HR's on B-29s hitting airbases. You're not going to dispense with the HR, but I'd suggest upping the limit to 100 B-29's, or even better 150. That would go a long way to keeping night bombing a viable route to prosecute against large IJ air concentrations.

Dude. He can use as many as he wants!!

1. Use 1,000 and hit a Strat target. NF gone after a few rounds regardless of the amount I've got in place. Add 50 on night bombing airfield and presto, no more day fighters up to meet the 300 sweeping Allied Corsairs and Jugs and the 400 B-24Js. One base done.

2. Bomb adjacent targets with 50/each. He can hit an island worth of bases and rough up ALL of the fields. He can hit night and then day! (which he hasn't tried in combo much at all. I can think of about 20 different things I'm afraid he'll try but hasn't, and all of them would work within the parameters of this rule).

You're simply not thinking creatively about this, and ignoring the fact that it couldn't be done at this level at night during this era. (Please drop me a list of night bombing raids on Okinawa if you have them, as I've never found anything that resulted in anything but sporadic losses unless it was a one-off well planned raid. We all know that whatever those raids accomplished, they didn't stop Kamis from being effective. In game island bases can be closed for good and ALL of the airframes destroyed, so he has an advantage there already over history).

3. This isn't just about the Allies late. This is about the entire game, and before NF are online, BOTH sides will suffer from ridiculously large losses on airfield/port strikes at night. This about achieving a good game throughout and the capability of the B-29 (especially the B-29B) make the rule almost a non-factor late.

If he thinks it's a factor, great!! I love that he isn't trying out different ways of making use of what he has and continuing to simply milk-run the most obvious targets most days while completely ignoring strategic options.

This rule has nothing to do with Strat bombing any base and he simply hasn't decided to do that regularly, or explore targets to see what the defenses are with smaller packages or even up to the 50/per target for airfields and ports. He can do it. I know he can because I'm sitting here looking at what I have, but I'm trying my damndest to make sure he sees a wall of resistance everywhere.

I've played this part of the game before, and Jocke got a lot out of Strat bombing even though he did it the old fashioned way, from the Marianas. He obliterated Tokyo and Osaka. Then went for airframe factories and took out my favs. Pretty soon no supply left to run anything in outlying areas and bases were getting hit all over wiping hundreds of planes off every few days. Maybe I didn't set things up as tightly then but I'm still playing Japan with mostly service 3 airframes, mediocre flak and not enough NF to go around.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/10/2019 4:17:58 PM >

Post #: 3265
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 4:23:45 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Emphasis mine.

Dude. He can use as many as he wants!!

1. Use 1,000 and hit a Strat target. NF gone after a few rounds regardless of the amount I've got in place.

2. Bomb adjacent targets with 50/each. He can hit an island worth of bases and rough up ALL of the fields. He can hit night and then day! (which he hasn't tried in combo much at all. I can think of about 20 different things I'm afraid he'll try but hasn't, and all of them would work within the parameters of this rule.

You're simply not thinking creatively about this, and ignoring the fact that it couldn't be done at this level at night during this era. (Plee drop me a list of night bombing raids on Okinawa if you have them, as I've never found anything that resulted in anything but sporadic losses unless it was a one-off well planned raid.

3. This isn't just about the Allies late. This is about the entire game, and before NF are online, BOTH sides will suffer from ridiculous large losses on airfield/port strikes. This about achieving a good game throughout and the capability of the B-29 (especially the B-29B) make the rule almost a non-factor late.

If he thinks it's a factor, great!! I love that he isn't trying out different ways of making use of what he has and continuing to simply milk-run the most obvious target most days while completely ignoring strategic options.

This rule has nothing to do with Strat bombing any base and he simply hasn't decided to do that regularly, or explore targets to see what the defenses are with smaller packages or even up to the 50/per target for airfields and ports. He can do it. I know he can because I'm sitting here looking at what I have, but I'm trying my damndest to make sure he sees a wall of resistance everywhere.

1. Strategic bombing doesn't damage the airbase, or have any impact on the planes at the airbase that aren't flying night CAP.

2. As I said above, the 50 aircraft limit favours the defender excessively (IMO). I also think you're underestimating the capability of the USAAF at this time.

3. I disagree. I'd welcome being shown what you consider inflated losses on airbase/port attack so that I have a reference point to see what you consider ridiculous. I'm more flexible - if you've 300 ships in a port or planes at an airbase, night bombing should take a toll as punishment for not properly dispersing assets.

I also fundamentally disagree that the B-29 makes your rule a non-factor.

I'll be as reductionist as possible. My issue is this

- the major barrier to CR's progression is your air force.
- HR's exist limiting the use of his most flexible asset (B-29's) to attack airbases at night to trivial levels.
- said HR allows min-maxing of IJ squadrons on night CAP to the benefit of the defender.
- this has serious implications to CR's ability to close airbases and degrade IJ airpower.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3266
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 4:54:37 PM   
obvert

quote:

1. Strategic bombing doesn't damage the airbase, or have any impact on the planes at the airbase that aren't flying night CAP.

We can go around and around if you want, but please read what I'm writing first.

If he flies 500-1,000 at a base that has a big airfield and lots of NF, he can add 50 on airfield strikes while being able to overwhelm the defenses with the majority on Strat bombing. The NF only last so long and the airfield strikes will degrade any daytime CAP for the next phase when the airfield can then be obliterated.

quote:

2. As I said above, the 50 aircraft limit favours the defender excessively (IMO). I also think you're underestimating the capability of the USAAF at this time.

A while ago when having this same conversation with Bullwinkle he pulled out a very good example of a night strike on Wewak. This did do some damage, and also degraded the day CAP so that when the main daylight strike arrived there was less resistance, and the low flying B-25s were able to take out virtually all of the remaining aircraft on the base.

My problem with historical examples of night strikes is that they were incredibly rare, not very effective against any pinpoint target (RAF estimated their strikes could not get better than 5 miles to target accuracy) and did not close airfields.

The USAAF was the most advanced Air Force in the world in the era and they chose to use their strategic assets almost exclusively in area bombing as pinpoint target bombing was found to be largely ineffective. They did hit airfields, did close them in the day, but not at night as far as I've been able to find. Maybe they didn't have to, but there is no evidence (I can find ) that they could either.

quote:

3. I disagree. I'd welcome being shown what you consider inflated losses on airbase/port attack so that I have a reference point to see what you consider ridiculous. I'm more flexible - if you've 300 ships in a port or planes at an airbase, night bombing should take a toll as punishment for not properly dispersing assets.

I also fundamentally disagree that the B-29 makes your rule a non-factor.

I'll be as reductionist as possible. My issue is this

- the major barrier to CR's progression is your air force.
- HR's exist limiting the use of his most flexible asset (B-29's) to attack airbases at night to trivial levels.
- said HR allows min-maxing of IJ squadrons on night CAP to the benefit of the defender.
- this has serious implications to CR's ability to close airbases and degrade IJ airpower.

As you've seen the "trivial level" is quite effective, and could be in any base on map if he chose to employ it with some preparation.

My NF are largely stationed near strategic assets. he can hit airfields much more easily than say Tokyo. At night, in the day, or both. Psychology is preventing him from doing so, because he is used to being able to simply bludgeon the Japanese airfare. He spent the last year trying the same tactics overt and over and getting relatively poor results. I'm not highly inclined to consider changing any rules that pre-exist his part in this game to make things easier.

I'm playing a late war Allied game. I have no rule on night bombing, but I self-impose one and don't break it, and I feel no need to use more than 50 of any bomber at night.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/10/2019 4:55:25 PM >

Post #: 3267
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 4:58:47 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

We can go around and around if you want, but please read what I'm writing first.

If he flies 500-1,000 at a base that has a big airfield and lots of NF, he can add 50 on airfield strikes while being able to overwhelm the defenses with the majority on Strat bombing. The NF only last so long and the airfield strikes will degrade any daytime CAP for the next phase when the airfield can then be obliterated.

Just FYI, this wording made it a lot more clear to me too.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3268
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 5:33:26 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Except 50 planes on airbase attack...isn't actually 50 planes on airbase attack. Leader/EXP rolls, night mission roll, moonlight, flak, NF, weather.

It might be 50 planes in theory, in practice it's never going to be that high except in exceptional circumstances.

quote:

quote:

A while ago when having this same conversation with Bullwinkle he pulled out a very good example of a night strike on Wewak. This did do some damage, and also degraded the day CAP so that when the main daylight strike arrived there was less resistance, and the low flying B-25s were able to take out virtually all of the remaining aircraft on the base.

My problem with historical examples of night strikes is that they were incredibly rare, not very effective against any pinpoint target (RAF estimated their strikes could not get better than 5 miles to target accuracy) and did not close airfields.

The USAAF was the most advanced Air Force in the world in the era and they chose to use their strategic assets almost exclusively in area bombing as pinpoint target bombing was found to be largely ineffective. They did hit airfields, did close them in the day, but not at night as far as I've been able to find. Maybe they didn't have to, but there is no evidence (I can find ) that they could either.

An airbase in not a pinpoint target, and it's reflected like that in the game. Airbase attacks are separated into the planes, the airbase itself and the runways. Hitting a specific factory in the middle of a city is reasonably tricky. Plastering a large airbase, with most of the surface area being a flat, rectangular concrete surface is much more straightforward. That's reflected in the game design.

quote:

As you've seen the "trivial level" is quite effective, and could be in any base on map if he chose to employ it with some preparation.

I'd disagree, the damage is trivial. He bombed unopposed and destroyed 9 planes. That's trivial in itself, and compared to the number of planes stationed at those bases it would be even more so.

quote:

I'm not highly inclined to consider changing any rules that pre-exist his part in this game to make things easier.

That's absolutely fine, but I'd use the word fairer instead of easier.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3269
RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_Sq... - 6/10/2019 6:22:48 PM   
Bearcat2

quote:

You're simply not thinking creatively about this, and ignoring the fact that it couldn't be done at this level at night during this era. (Plee drop me a list of night bombing raids on Okinawa if you have them, as I've never found anything that resulted in anything but sporadic losses unless it was a one-off well planned raid. We all know that whatever those raids accomplished, they didn't stop Kamis from being effective

No night bombing of airfields, because there were either light or no opposition to daytime bombing of the airfields.

The 313th Bmb Wing [6th, 9th, 504th, 505th Bmb Grp B-29's]bombed Airfields in Truk & Iwo Jima, later they bombed the airfields on Okinawa. The Okinawan airfields were not used in Kamikaze attacks off Okinawa, the planes came Kyushu and Formosa.

Bombing an airfield at night had more to do with terrain, my father flew night bombers in WW2, bombed trains, tanks, artillery, trucks, air fields and bridges, obviously weather was the biggest factor in finding targets.
One of the more successful night bombing atacks of the war was when He-111's bombed Poltava destroying 47 of 73 B-17s

An example of B-29's supporting the 10th Army, 6th Bmb Grp

26 17 Apr Kanoya East Airfield 10 Tactical raid on Kyushu
27 18 Apr Kushira Airfield 10 Southern Kyushu
28 21 Apr Kanoya East Airfield 22 Tactical support
29 22 Apr Kanoya East Airfield 16 Tactical support
30 24 Apr Hitachi A/C Co, Tokyo 12 Daylight Precision
31 26 Apr Matsuyama West Airfield 18 Tactical support
32 27 Apr Miyakonoajo Airfield 6
33 28 Apr Miyakonoajo Airfield 18
34 30 Apr Tachikawa Aresenal, W of Tokyo 7 Daylight Precision
35 3 May Inland Sea Harbors 32 Mining
36 5 May Kure Harbor Area 34 Mining
37 7 May Kanoya, Ibuski Airfield 20 Tactical support
38 10 May Usa Airfield 22 Daylight Precision
39 11 May Nittigahara Airfield 11 GP bombs by radar
40 14 May Nagoya Urban Area 31 Night Incendiary
41 16 May Nagoya Urban Area 33 Night Incendiary
42 19 May Tachikawa Arsenal 30 Precision by radar
43 23 May TokyoUrban Area - Incendiary 33 Lost Lt Boynton, Lt Snyder, Lt Anderson crews
44 25 May TokyoUrban Area - Incendiary 24 Lost Lt Foc crew
45 29 May Yokohama Urban Area 25 Incendiary
46 1 June Osaka Urban Area 27 Daylight Incendiary
47 5 June Kobe Urban Area 29 Daylight Incendiary
48 7 June Osaka Urban Area 27 Incendiary by radar
Secondary Industrial Cities
49 9 June Kawasaki A/C Co, Akashi 26 Precision by radar
50 15 June Amagasaki 35 Incendiary by radar
51 18 June Yokkaichi 30 Night Incendiary
52 19 June Shimoneski Straits 2 Radar search
53 20 June Fukuoka 29 Night Incendiary
54 22 June Kawasaki A/C Co, Akashi 29 Daylight Precision
55 26 June Kawasaki A/C Co, Akashi 38 Daylight Precision
56 28 June Moji Urban Area 30 Night Incendiary
57 1 July Ube Urban Area 35 Night Incendiary
58 3 July Himeji Urban Area 35 Night Incendiary
59 5 July Marcus Island 3 Precision
60 6 July Shimizu 36 Night Incendiary

The 9th Bmb Grp:
"18 through 28 Apr 45 - Our attacks during this period put the B-29 into tactical operations. Direct support of the Okinawa Campaign, a tactical role, established our versatility. Flying in direct support of the Navy we frustrated Jap attempts to alleviate the situation on Okinawa. Our raids were concentrated on southern Kyushu airfields. With relatively small forces, we attacked the airfield at Kokubu the 18th; Kanoya East Airfield and again Kokubu Airfield the 21st; Kanoya Airfield and Kushira Airfield on 22 April. It was on Kushira that we dropped all our bombs within 1,000 feet of the briefed aiming point. Miyazaki Airfield was the target on 26 April; Kokubu Airfield being again twice blasted on 27 and 28 Apr. Our heaviest enemy opposition was received on the 28th, when we claimed 2 destroyed, 2 probables and 6 damaged. On this mission, Lt. Brown and his crew, were forced to bail out. Except for the navigator, the entire crew was rescued. We received a commendation from the 5th. Fleet Commander for our share in this vital task."

505th Bmb Grp"
"Two days after this mission the tactical support pounding of Kyushu
Airfields was resumed. Nittagahara Airfield was the target on the
26th for 23 planes loaded with explosives and fragmentation bombs.
The next day, the 27th, twelve B-29s took off for another visit to
Kokubu Airfield. Two of the bombers had to land at Iwo on the flight
up, and another plane got separated from the Group and joined a
formation to bomb Kanoya Airfield.
About 35 Jap fighters met the raiders this time and pressed their
initial attacks with phosphorus bombs. Most attacks were made out
of the sun; a second method of assault was to come in on a high
nose approach, diving down and pulling out slightly below level,
within 100 to 500 yards of formation. They hurled their bombs into
the formation as they broke away. No planes were damaged, however, although the bombers flew directly through the phosphorus
plumes and streamers. Crews could smell the odor of bursting
bombs, while the gunners fired on the attackers.
While other planes of the Bomber Command spread all over Kyushu,
hitting at scores of airfields used to stage Jap fighter and bomber
attacks against Okinawa and the American Naval Forces off of the
island, 22 of our planes headed for Kokubu.
Fighter opposition was on the largest scale yet encountered. The
enemy had become fully aware of the sharp curtailment our raids
were having on their air operations. Our first squadron crews met
50 to 60 enemy planes immediately after bombs-away. The ensuing
air battle lasted 15 minutes; 30 to 40 attacks were made. The second
squadron of B-29s ran into 15 persistent enemy fighters from UP to the
target and out again to land's end. These passes were unaggressive ,
with phosphorus bombs being reported. Our gunners fire was heavy
and murderous. Total claims were: 21 enemy planes destroyed, 7
probables.
Airstrips at Tachikowa were the targets for the final mission of the
month.
Cloud cover made it impractical to bomb the primary target, so the
planes moved over to the city of Hamamatsu and made a radar run.
Two aircraft had to land at Iwo---one with #3 engine out---and Capt.
Johnson, with #3 engine feathered and an oil leak in #2. Considerable
fighter resistance was met in this strike, and a good number of the
enemy fighters were knocked down. One of our tail-gunners was killed
by enemy fighter fire, and two of our planes suffered battle damage."

< Message edited by Bearcat2 -- 6/10/2019 6:37:06 PM >

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

Post #: 3270
Page:   <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A) Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI