Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 3:17:11 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I know Don is giving away his books, but I don't recall reading that he's leaving the forum. Did I miss something?

Yes, in his book giveaway thread he said he is leaving the company, the boards and his current residence IIRC.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 3:21:47 AM   
Macquarrie1999

I always thought that ships under refit after conversion couldn't be moved out of the shipyard. This is good to know. Will help the poor little shipyards at Brisbane and Sydney.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 32
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 3:22:08 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Those APAs don't need to be in the shipyard at all. Those AVDs can get out when the floatation and engine damage major reach 5 or less on both.

If the conversion to APA requires a SY (I believe it does - for the cranes), it cannot be shifted to pierside until the turn AFTER it entered the SY to start the conversion.

EDIT: Correction - I thought you could not do it same turn because the option was never available to me. But today I get the chance to convert a DD to an APD and immediately after it went into the shipyard I was able to move it to pierside. So now I am as puzzled as usual!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 1/22/2022 12:49:09 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 33
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 3:30:50 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Go to the "Manage ships under repair" screen and change them there . . .

Hoo Boy! Been playing this game for 13 years and NEVER used that button. Thanks RJ , and LOL at me!

So Doc, I apologize for grabbing your thread, but there is an important lesson for newbies in all this:

1) You can play this game for over a decade and still learn new things on a regular basis
2) Your failure to know EVERYTHING has no impact on game success or enjoyment
2) And lastly, "Forum Experts" don't always know what they are talking about

You can also see just how far it is until the next point of damage is repaired.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 1/21/2022 3:32:55 AM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 34
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 3:43:18 AM   
geofflambert

It was only recently that I was even aware of plane fatigue. I don't think I've ever "managed" ships under repair either. (referencing Kull's last post)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 1/21/2022 3:45:20 AM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 35
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 4:29:16 AM   
RangerJoe

The thing to be careful is of when changing the source of repairs that you will lose all current efforts at repairing any damage. So if things are not getting repaired, don't switch them back and forth. By looking on that screen, you can see how much effort has been done to repair the next repair point. So if a player only wants to repair things so far as to allow the pierside, Naval Support, and Repair vessels to repair any major damage of 5 points or less, does not check every turn, then sees that the ship can change repair modes to get to a hopefully faster mode for the last of the major damage points, check to see how much progress is done on the next point of damage. It it is close to being repaired, leave it alone until that point of damage is repaired.

If a player wishes to change repair modes to see if it is faster to use a different source of repair help, if the player does not want to switch then hit "cancel changes" to make sure. Due to shipyard size, this may be important. Also, ARs and ARDs if selected under "Repair Ship" may only be able to work on one ship at a time. The ARD is limited by size. But as needed, the ARs and ARDs should help repair ships using the pier side repair modes along with the help from any tenders but there the repair points may be spread out over multiple ships.

― Julia Child

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 36
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 5:58:21 AM   
CaptBeefheart

There's a real good thread somewhere on ship repair with a lot of Alfred's input. I remember Bullwinkle, as seen in his AAR, used to tweak the system to get excellent repair times. Me, I'll settle for about 80-90% efficiency in ship repair and pilot training to save time for more fun stuff like managing individual sub patrols (just kidding--I don't do that very often).

Kull and Gorn: I'm amazed you gents didn't know the "manage ships under repair" button. That shows you don't need to optimize this game to 100% to still do pretty well.

I know plane fatigue is there, I just don't pay any attention to it, or to weather. If there ever is a WITP2 it'd be nice to be able to set parameters like "train to 60 EXP and 70 AIR" or "fly offensive missions until morale goes below 60."

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 37
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 8:15:44 AM   
Maallon

Alfred's guide on ship repair:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 38
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 12:34:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

It was only recently that I was even aware of plane fatigue. I don't think I've ever "managed" ships under repair either. (referencing Kull's last post)

I never used it much either until I discovered it would sometimes allow you to switch repair modes (usually SY to pierside) when that option was not present on the single ship screen. But there are times where the Manage Ships Under Repair screen is not offered and I have never figured out why that happens. It can't be just Port size, because at a given port sometimes the Manage Ships screen is offered and sometimes it isn't. So I just use whatever tools the game makes available and don't sweat the unknowns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 39
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 10:39:49 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

This is going OT - in my experience, when a certain number of ships - more than 15-20 - in need of repairs are present in the same port, the "Manage Ships Under Repair screen" becomes agonizingly slow to apply a switch of repair mode or priority for a single ship, and even worse if I use the "Set all ships to" button - can take several minutes with the game "freezing" temporarily before the new repair mode or priority is becoming effective. Just wondering if this is just happening on my machine? Or maybe it's only an issue in my mod since almost all ships have some small amount of damage at start (it's simply unrealistic that all ships on the map start on Dec 7th 1941 in pristine condition). Looks like a memory issue, but I have 16 GB of RAM on a 64bit Win11 Gaming Laptop, way above the game specs. Anyone else with that problem?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 40
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/21/2022 11:25:17 PM   
dr.hal

Well LST, sounds like you have certainly hijacked my topic, so I guess I need to respond. I experience the same thing in an overloaded port. You might want to start a new thread line, as I think this might garnish a fair amount of interest. How to handle such a situation and whether or not one's computer impacts this situation. I've got a large RAM (I know, I'm bragging, but hey!) and windows 10, yet it doesn't seem to make a difference either.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 41
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 12:54:10 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Well LST, sounds like you have certainly hijacked my topic, so I guess I need to respond. I experience the same thing in an overloaded port. You might want to start a new thread line, as I think this might garnish a fair amount of interest. How to handle such a situation and whether or not one's computer impacts this situation. I've got a large RAM (I know, I'm bragging, but hey!) and windows 10, yet it doesn't seem to make a difference either.

IME this only happens when I have played the game for some time and opened/closed a lot of screens as I toured the map. I am guessing that the data on those opened screens gets loaded in RAM in case I want to refer to it again. Occasionally I will have the game pause with the spinning disk symbol which I interpret as some of the RAM being cleared so that I can continue to open new info screens. Once the RAM is this full, complex computations can take a while. I just save the game, close and restart.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 42
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 1:41:38 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

IME this only happens when I have played the game for some time and opened/closed a lot of screens as I toured the map. I am guessing that the data on those opened screens gets loaded in RAM in case I want to refer to it again. Occasionally I will have the game pause with the spinning disk symbol which I interpret as some of the RAM being cleared so that I can continue to open new info screens. Once the RAM is this full, complex computations can take a while. I just save the game, close and restart.

I'm not a programmer, but those are the signs of a "memory leak".

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 43
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 7:40:10 AM   
Maallon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I'm not a programmer, but those are the signs of a "memory leak".

Yeah, that definitely sounds like some of the symptoms of a memory leak.
Normally, once you close a screen it should be removed from RAM.
The spinning disk symbol likely indicates that the game needs to write/read a lot of data to and from the page file.

The page file is a file on your hard drive where RAM can transfer data to. This happens if the data is no longer urgently needed or there is no longer enough space in the RAM. Depending on your hardware setup, this process can be different magnitudes of slow.

Also the game can only address 2-4 GB of RAM, to my knowledge. So having a lot of RAM is not necessarily helpful.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 44
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 7:45:23 AM   
Maallon

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

This is going OT - in my experience, when a certain number of ships - more than 15-20 - in need of repairs are present in the same port, the "Manage Ships Under Repair screen" becomes agonizingly slow to apply a switch of repair mode or priority for a single ship, and even worse if I use the "Set all ships to" button - can take several minutes with the game "freezing" temporarily before the new repair mode or priority is becoming effective. Just wondering if this is just happening on my machine? Or maybe it's only an issue in my mod since almost all ships have some small amount of damage at start (it's simply unrealistic that all ships on the map start on Dec 7th 1941 in pristine condition). Looks like a memory issue, but I have 16 GB of RAM on a 64bit Win11 Gaming Laptop, way above the game specs. Anyone else with that problem?

I just tested it in a DBB game and it works fine without lag.
But I also can remember that sometimes changing the repair mode of a ship in the ship screen can be very slow.
Have you tried to do this with a fresh game start?

Post #: 45
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 9:44:53 AM   
Axe1999

Same thing for me, PH after initial strikes is very slow to change repair modes... Same happens on my 8 year old laptop and my new gaming desktop so I doubt its hardware issue

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 46
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 10:32:09 AM   
Yaab

I had this PH problem many years ago on my old Lenovo laptop. Once I started using switches on my new laptp, the problem went away.

(in reply to Axe1999)
Post #: 47
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 10:34:21 AM   
Yaab

Error ASAP 1,000,000 POSTS

(in reply to Axe1999)
Post #: 48
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/22/2022 10:44:19 PM   
RangerJoe

One hex SW of Pagan:

quote:

ML F-5 hits uncharted rock at 110 , 90

Damage is 7 system, 1 flood, and 7 engine with major flood of 1 and major engine of 5 . . .

They just got a little close looking for fresh shellfish . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 49
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/24/2022 12:55:21 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Yes, I've seen this, even on my latest rig which has 32GB RAM. It happens sometimes at Pearl and sometimes late in the game when I have hundreds of ships at Manila. I think it takes a while to process all the changes in repair times when you change one variable (i.e. move one ship to the shipyard) out of hundreds.

I also once attacked Tokyo in a millions vs. millions battle and the turn wasn't even resolved after a night's sleep. I ended up cutting the game there. That was a processor issue as I had the same situation one or two rigs later and it was maybe a 20-minute turn.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 50
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/24/2022 2:58:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Almost all of these accidents will merely result in more damage to the ship. How much is determined by a dice roll and can be minimal or potentially be massive. If the original damage plus the added damage from the "accident" exceed 99%, the ship is destroyed.

xAP Taiping runs onto reef while attempting to unload at Canton Island

97% flooding damage, 87% major. Of course the crew was 15 experience, and the Captain not much better.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 1/24/2022 3:07:51 PM >

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 51
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/24/2022 3:06:11 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Almost all of these accidents will merely result in more damage to the ship. How much is determined by a dice roll and can be minimal or potentially be massive. If the original damage plus the added damage from the "accident" exceed 99%, the ship is destroyed.

xAP Taiping runs onto reef while attempting to unload at Canton Island

97% flooding damage, 95% major. Of course the crew was 15 experience, and the Captain not much better.

Those Captains that insist on fresh shellfish . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 52
RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events - 1/24/2022 3:06:59 PM   
rockmedic109

I've lost two or three ACMs to accidents while handling mines. This was several updates and a decade ago.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 14.2.1.3 Catastrophic Events Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI