Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
[Poll]

POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades

I prefer upgradable aircraft with no limitations (ahistorical)
  11% (30)
I prefer upgradable aircraft with the limitations in the first post
  43% (111)
I prefer upgradable aircraft with other limitations (post in thread)
  7% (19)
I don't want any changes to the system unless they are optional!
  22% (58)
I don't want any changes to the system, period, I'm happy as is.
  14% (36)

Total Votes : 254

(last vote on : 7/23/2006 6:35:37 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 8/19/2004 8:45:28 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: strawbuk
Agree

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 121
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 8/23/2004 9:32:29 AM   
2ndACR

And another swift kick from page 6.

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 122
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 11/16/2004 7:06:33 PM   
2ndACR

And you guys thought I forgot. Not going to happen.

A sticky would be nice (hint, hint).

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 11/16/2004 11:20:03 AM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 123
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/16/2004 8:31:36 PM   
pad152

The current system is broken, either the player is in control of production, or the computer, not both. The computer should not be over riding changes made by the player. If I still want to build Nells vs Bettys, the computer should not keep changing my factories back to Bettys!

I think the best solution have a toggle to have the computer in control of aircraft production, or the player in control.

< Message edited by pad152 -- 11/16/2004 6:33:02 PM >

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 124
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/16/2004 9:25:46 PM   
Nikademus

it is ALLIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 125
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/16/2004 9:26:35 PM   
BlackVoid

I do not like the current system, so any change looks good. I voted for other limitations.

1. Idea for a system that will probably not happen:

Total freedom on what to build, but randomized plane charecteristics in the case of researched aircraft. When researched, the plane would be untested and only after combat would you see the actual performance numbers.

It would also make sense to have a few design policies in place, I imagine them as sliders.
- armor
- firepower
- speed
- manouver
etc.

2. Realistic idea

Allies cannot control production at all atm, so I assume this will only apply to the japanese.

- Free upgrade or downgrade for all AC as long as it stays in the same class (fighter, bomber, etc.)
- IJA can receive IJN planes and vice-versa, but this should cost political points. You are playing supreme commander afterall.
- Switching factory production from one plane to another - this should be costly in time and supply as well. (I admit, that I don't have too much experience with the current system, maybe it is good enough now in this respect). Switching production should also cost political points (I assume there are existing contracts for a lot of planes in production, to cancel these is no small task).
- Major experience hit should apply for 1 or 2 months with the new aircraft. Say -30 xp and over a month or 2 it would move back to original level.
- Make research optional or remove it completely from the game. This is to prevent having Shinden in 43 and the like).
- Better, and especially larger planes should cost more. (Does the current system model this at all?). B-17 should have a cost of several B-25s.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 126
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/16/2004 10:06:06 PM   
2ndACR

I said I would let this argument sleep until after the patch and bug quashes. Guess what, it is time for this to be re-born.

Give me my control.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 127
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 3:35:18 AM   
testarossa

I've read all the posts and decided to delete this one.

< Message edited by testarossa -- 11/16/2004 5:53:57 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 128
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 3:39:29 AM   
testarossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

If you do post a musical parody, please use the old .wav file format compatible with UV. I am still having trouble with some of the WITP format sound effects.

You care to list what software you have installed? It seems everyone who runs perfectly has just a clean windows install of any version. Those who go ballistic seem to be running the kitchen sink ... it would be interesting to see what the folks having problems have in common from a software standpoint.

I don't have a clean install but never had a slightest problem with WitP. Good work with the code I guess.

edit: Or I have good hardware.

< Message edited by testarossa -- 11/16/2004 5:39:32 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 129
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 3:53:16 AM   
2ndACR

Testarossa,

I really hope you do not expect a reply to those questions. Those guys will never remember the conversation. I resurrected this from a couple months ago.

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 130
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 3:55:40 AM   
testarossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Testarossa,

I really hope you do not expect a reply to those questions. Those guys will never remember the conversation. I resurrected this from a couple months ago.

I kind of got it thanks. I've already deleted one.

edit: I'll vote now, he-he.

edit: WTF? Only 220 votes? Is this the volume of sales? Or other players realised that nobody is going to change anything anyway?

< Message edited by testarossa -- 11/16/2004 5:59:35 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 131
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 4:05:00 AM   
2ndACR

No, alot either have not voted or are neutral in this argument. If I am given the ability to control my production, I want some control over who uses what.

This is a direct spin off from a very, very heated argument in another thread. it is only about 20 pages long if you want to wade through it.

Do a search for aircraft upgrades.

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 132
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 4:08:28 AM   
testarossa

Have you seen that turkey who got himself caught on the tape shooting non-combatant? And what kind of asshole would tape that kind of crap? Or they don't care just want some hot news?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 133
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 4:20:36 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: testarossa

Have you seen that turkey who got himself caught on the tape shooting non-combatant? And what kind of asshole would tape that kind of crap? Or they don't care just want some hot news?

Ahem, no comment. Politics, needs to go to the Steakhouse. Would get real heated real quick.

Related thread is now on page 1.

PLEASE READ THE RELATED THREADS BEFORE VOTING. One is called "Attn Matrix" and is 22 pages long and the other is Matrix aircraft upgrades and is 9 pages long.

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 11/16/2004 8:31:38 PM >

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 134
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 5:08:20 AM   
mikemike

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiTP_Dude

This all seems kind of silly. When the Japanese were designing the new plane models, they didn't know beforehand how they would work out. Maybe if the player was blind as to what the end result would be, it would make sense to have ahistorical upgrades. Then maybe you pour a lot of resources into one design and it ends up that the plane is a real stinker. Or you get lucky and plane really flies well.

Otherwise the current system of pushing or delaying historical plane models by a few months seems best. You already know which planes are the better ones vs those that didn't work out too well. You can use this knowledge to give the Japanese a little lift.

This would be a valid argument if there were any researcheable aircraft in the game that didn´t work out in the end. Let´s face it, any new Japanese type is better than what they started out with. The real duds don´t exist in the game. Neither do they on the Allied side (if you discount the Brit carrier planes). If you want uncertainty for aircraft characteristics, where are the factoriees ready to churn out hordes of P-55´s or P-60´s?

If you want strict adherence to history, the Ki-100 sticks out like a sore thumb. Historically, it would be correct to offer only the Ki-61-II, with the Ki-100 only available if all factories producing Kawasaki engines are destroyed.

Japanese aircraft production in WWII is a story of "too little, too late". In WitP, industrial capacity and supply situation is always going to result in "too little", so why not give the Japanese player some leeway in remedying the "too late" part?

Take the case of the A6M/A7M. If I remember the story right, after the A6M3, Jiro Horikoshi, the Zero´s designer, wanted to switch to a larger engine (essentially what finally happened with the A6M8). For some reason that wasn´t allowed (perhaps for range considerations?), so the Mitsubishi design team had to massage the A6M to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the basic design. The A7M was delayed by almost a year due to overload of the design team, and I bet the Zero situation played a major part in that, so the ability (in the game) to switch from the A6M3 straight to something like the A6M8 and get the A7M nine months earlier wouldn´t be all that ahistorical.

In any case, the upgrade paths now implemented s**k. The 64th sentai, for instance, flew the Ki-43 all through the war, working its way through all the Marks and Mods of the plane. They were preparing to switch to the Hayate when Japan capitulated. You can´t emulate that in the game as it now is, at least there is no upgrade path from the Ki-43-I to the Ki-43-II. I like the arrangement in Pacwar better - upgrade (or downgrade) to any type of the same class and user, and give the poor bastards bolted to Nates a chance to get to the good stuff.

Just my 1,53 Euro cents.

(in reply to WiTP_Dude)
Post #: 135
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 5:41:51 AM   
testarossa

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: testarossa

Ahem, no comment. Politics, needs to go to the Steakhouse. Would get real heated real quick.

Related thread is now on page 1.

PLEASE READ THE RELATED THREADS BEFORE VOTING. One is called "Attn Matrix" and is 22 pages long and the other is Matrix aircraft upgrades and is 9 pages long.

I didn't want the discussion, just your opinion about how the guy who spends with troops days and nights sharing food and shelter tape something that happens 10 times per day and sends it home to wake up the hornets nest? And it is not about politics, Geneva convention or boyscout code, it is the question which you left without answer and I am fine with this.

P.S. Didn't like Steakhouse. If I want my ass kicked i go to the streapbar and start asking girls for the date.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 136
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 5:46:38 AM   
pad152

quote:

Who says he was a non-combatant???? and how the hell do tell the difference?

This isn't something you whon't find in history books, It's something comanders did in the field who didn't want to see any more of their men go home in boxes after the war was already won.

In WWII when allied troops (US) went into a town, after the fall of Germany, if someone start to shoot at them, they backed out and shelled the town with heavy arty. The next time they when in town if someone starting shooting, they shelled it again. Pretty soon the Germans got the message not to shoot at allied troops or your town would be shelled! Some Germans would even go to the allied troops and tell them where the hold outs were so their town would not get shelled. This is what the US should have done in the early days in Iraq, even the bad guys would have gotten the message, (if you shoot US troops when they come to your town, it get shelled)! THAT'S WAR, WAR is hell, but thats how you win it!

No one every won a war with lawyers.

< Message edited by pad152 -- 11/17/2004 4:18:40 AM >

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 137
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 6:09:57 AM   
pad152

quote:

No, alot either have not voted or are neutral in this argument. If I am given the ability to control my production, I want some control over who uses what.

This is a direct spin off from a very, very heated argument in another thread. it is only about 20 pages long if you want to wade through it.

Do a search for aircraft upgrades.

Mayby alot of players haven't played Japan yet? I didn't realize how broken production was until I played Japan

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 138
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 11/17/2004 7:08:20 AM   
afspret

I agree, for the most part, but how would you handle the 8th BS, which started out with A-24s? Wouldn't they have to convert to the A-25 (which is not in the game) instead of the A-20?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 139
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 2:36:13 PM   
strawbuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Quick send for

Attachment (1)

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 140
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 2:38:56 PM   
strawbuk

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Quick send for

(image)

Or better still....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by strawbuk -- 11/17/2004 12:39:58 PM >

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 141
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 11/17/2004 3:05:04 PM   
seblinselles

I think this should be a feature:
the player(s) can choose at the beginning of the game such as 'subs doc' on/off, he will have aircraft upgrades :
-1 historical
-2 with limitation
-3 without any limitation
That way everybody will find his interest in the solution.
I don't know if it's difficult to implement in the game's code

SLI

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 142
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/17/2004 5:20:07 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Or better still....

uh oh.....Matrix had better watch out.....The Slayer is taking an interest in the upgrade pathing......

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 143
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/18/2004 2:01:32 PM   
2ndACR

Punt, still looking for a sticky.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 144
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 11/18/2004 2:27:10 PM   
CatLord

quote:

My idea, nay "solution" for all the ruckas regarding upgrades/downgrades was a simple restrictive system.

Japan: IJN groups can only upgrade/downgrade to IJN aircraft
IJA groups can only upgrade/downgrade to IJA aircraft

Further restrictions:

Fighter groups can only change to other types of fighter groups/Fighter-bombers
Bomber groups can only chage to other types of bomber groups.
(further: LBA to LBA only......Dive bomber to Dive bomber only, Torpedo bomber to torpedo bomber only)
Now that I have understand the Production system, this option sounds reasonnable if it can be toggled On/Off

Could we have another toggleable option to be able to build ahistorical ships and ahistorical LCU units as well please ? (with reasonable restrictions, of course )...

Cat

Member of the Revolution Under Siege development team.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 145
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 11/21/2004 11:33:23 AM   
pyaeen

I think most of us want to know what decisions is made from deverloper about this topic. Say really, this production system was not my expected from Gary's games. If their next game War in Russia is the same, I really not to buy it (i have all Gary's games). How to expect I have 500 panther in pool but can't use in my panzer division....

And, wargames is military SIMULATION. We are not watching history book or movie (even history books can't describe the history in real). If we all need follow what histroy did, why not restrict our strategy decisions in game also?

(in reply to CatLord)
Post #: 146
RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades - 11/21/2004 3:21:53 PM   
Jaws_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: pyaeen

I think most of us want to know what decisions is made from deverloper about this topic. Say really, this production system was not my expected from Gary's games. If their next game War in Russia is the same, I really not to buy it (i have all Gary's games). How to expect I have 500 panther in pool but can't use in my panzer division....

And, wargames is military SIMULATION. We are not watching history book or movie (even history books can't describe the history in real). If we all need follow what histroy did, why not restrict our strategy decisions in game also?

100% hit

Good Hunting

(in reply to pyaeen)
Post #: 147
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/21/2004 4:19:16 PM   
Bulldog61

I voted for no limits to changing A/C upgrades. Short of adding another table to the db which would resemble a matrix of air unit A/C model and date there is no way to be historically acurate. an example is the 49th US Fighter group; it consisted of the 7th, 8th and 9th Fighter squadrons. The seventh should arrive in SF on 4 Jan 42 equiped with P-40B's Upgrade to P-40E's several months later. They upgrade to P-47C's in 1943 and then to P-38J's in 44. The 8th Squadron Also arrives with P-40B's later upgradingf to E's and N then to P-38J's in 1944. The 9th squadron resembles the 8th. I could go on.
I think players should be free to equip their squadrons limited only by availability of A/C and supply and should pay a PP penalty if a different type is chosen.

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 148
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/21/2004 10:26:22 PM   
TheElf

I've always felt that the IJ Player's A/C Production industry should be directly related to the health of his game. In other words if it is 1943 or 1944 and his supply, resource, Heavy industry is intact and at ahistorical levels then ahistorical results should be seen. If you are playing well in 43' (ie ahistorically) the your R&D and production numbers should be ahistorical too. It is a reward for great strategy and gameplay. If the state of the game is due to the Allied players buffoonery then the repercussions are manifested in an IJ player who has better Aicraft in greater numbers than what was seen historically.

The hard part of course is translating this in terms of gameplay, but I feel this point is often lost in the fiery debates on the subject. Of course this ALL assumes that the IJ player already has the freedom to choose his upgrades, and what he R&Ds, because there is no doubt that that part of the game is broken.

Perhaps the R&D balance is can be solved by saying "You can't go below historical levels of R&D on a given Aircraft." In other words, say the historical R&D level of the A6M5 in the game is x50 factories. If a player doesn't want to use his resources on the A6M5 and would prefer to accelerate other models that is fine, but...

...Those x50 factories and their capacity are dedicated to the A6M5 until it becomes available. It can only be increased or expanded, or DECREASED to its default (x50)historical level, but never below. After the A6M5 is in production the player can choose to use or lose it. Take those x50 factories and turn them off so he can expand R&D on the George for example, or conver to production of a tyoe already available.

Therefore if the IJ player is kicking a$$ he may use his surplus supply or resource to R&D OTHER A/C which he does want to accelerate.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Bulldog61)
Post #: 149
RE: Solution to UPGRADE question. - 11/22/2004 8:24:16 PM   
mlees

I voted for #2.

How 'bout this...

Matrix sets up a preset upgrade path based on the "at start" model flown by the squadron, for example:

P40B-> P40E -> P40N (for USAAF)

or

F2A -> F4F3 -> F4F4 -> F6F (for USN)

But if you want to switch a P40 squadon to a P38 or P47 (other USAAF fighter paths), you have to pay a political point cost just like you were changing HQ's.

Thoughts??

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: POLL: Solution to Aircraft Upgrades Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI