RE: Question to the development team ! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

Roads -> RE: Question to the development team ! (10/26/2006 11:24:20 PM)

quote:

Kleves? A small city named Kleve, hmm ok, I guess...
Duchies?
Palatinate?? Ahhh, "Pfalz" or "Kurpfalz" if electoral.

and,
shouldnt "Hesse" be "Hessen",
"Hanover" be "Hannover",
"Wittenburg" be "Wittenberg"?

Most of these are not errrors at all.  They are cases where the correct English name is used.  "Hesse" is English for Hessen, "Hanover" is English for Hannover, and "Palatinate" is English for Pfalz.  I think most of your errors are simply cases of using the correct English spelling for various palces.  You may not like how these places are spelled using the English language, but that's what they are.

Wittenburg is of course wrong, and English speakers (espeacially Americans IMHO) generally have all sorts of trouble with "berg" endings in German.  That's the only one comparable to the "Cuidad" abomination.  And "Kleve" is "Cleves" in English, so that is wrong too.

Norden_slith -> RE: Question to the development team ! (10/27/2006 10:15:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roads

quote:

Kleves? A small city named Kleve, hmm ok, I guess...
Duchies?
Palatinate?? Ahhh, "Pfalz" or "Kurpfalz" if electoral.

and,
shouldnt "Hesse" be "Hessen",
"Hanover" be "Hannover",
"Wittenburg" be "Wittenberg"?

Most of these are not errors at all.  They are cases where the correct English name is used.  "Hesse" is English for Hessen, "Hanover" is English for Hannover, and "Palatinate" is English for Pfalz.  I think most of your errors are simply cases of using the correct English spelling for various palces.  You may not like how these places are spelled using the English language, but that's what they are.

Wittenburg is of course wrong, and English speakers (espeacially Americans IMHO) generally have all sorts of trouble with "berg" endings in German.  That's the only one comparable to the "Cuidad" abomination.  And "Kleve" is "Cleves" in English, so that is wrong too.

You are mixing things together, repeating me and missing my point. May be my fault, as I didnt write too clearly. But my point was, to leave things as they are and not to nitpick [;)] .

I stated the first group for their alieness to someone coming from this country. Ok, this may be hard to see, it was supposed to have a hint of irony. The second group , yes, these I thought of as simple errors, 2 of which werent. And yes, I had a notion of Hanover beeing Hannover, thank you very much.
And as already stated, my point was to leave things as they are, as it is a huge and difficult task to make everybody happy.

As an aside. I allways thought "ei" (which almost regularly is turned to "ie") was THE major problem in translating german to english. The pronounciation of german "ei" is very close to "ie" in english. You cant imagine how that hurts the eye [;)]. Weirdest thing I have seen once was Manstein written as Munstien, THAT hurts.

Now I will get back at you: Woschingten [:D].

Norden

delatbabel -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (10/27/2006 4:44:39 PM)

I'm going on a sailing trip starting 1st week in December. I will be taking my laptop, and will be at sea for about 2 weeks. Any chance I can have a copy of EiANW to take with me to while away the boring hours?

Joisey -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (10/27/2006 5:46:23 PM)

Yeah, I'm going on a sailing trip in December too and need a copy of this game.  Yeah, I'm going on a sailing trip with my....wife, Morgan Fairchild.....Yeah, that's the ticket.

crenfrow -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/4/2006 7:14:51 PM)

Marshall,

Is this possibly going to be something I can ask for as a Christmas present?

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/5/2006 9:08:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crenfrow

Marshall,

Well, there's a Christmas in every year.... [:D]

1LTRambo -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/6/2006 4:45:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: crenfrow

Marshall,

Well, there's a Christmas in every year.... [:D]

Yes and the question is how many more Christmasses will we have to wait for.[:(]

Archiduque -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/18/2006 6:49:53 PM)

Camile was, as usual, absolutely right. The problem with "Cuidad" Rodrigo is not a language one. Is one of a mistake one that show a negative impresion about the historic or geographical value of the game. And those are very importan questions in an historical simulation game as Empires in Arms always pretended to be. When it was a boxed, paper game, you have to live with that. Now, in the software world, is only a question of things being well made.

Nevertheless, i am very pleased in the view of playing these game soon. As i have written before: "Empires in Arms is the greatest pleasure i've had with men"

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/18/2006 6:57:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Archiduque
"Empires in Arms is the greatest pleasure i've had with men"

And hopefully the only one. [;)][:D]

Archiduque -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/18/2006 6:59:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Archiduque
"Empires in Arms is the greatest pleasure i've had with men"

And hopefully the only one. [;)][:D]

Yeah, you've understood the sarcasm [:D] That is the only one

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/18/2006 7:38:30 PM)

Good, now I can go back to the Blue Oyster. [;)]

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/20/2006 4:35:53 PM)

Hello all:

I think I can get this out before "A" Christmas BUT probably not this Christmas!
Have you ever tried any PBEM testing with 7 people? It's easier to herd cats. This is not a slam against the testers BUT schedules this time of the year (including mine) are tough!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Thank you

James Ward -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/20/2006 4:46:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hello all:

I think I can get this out before "A" Christmas BUT probably not this Christmas!

That reminds me of a joke:
My landlord told me I had two days to pay the rent. I said "Ok I'll take Christmas and Easter."

Joisey -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/20/2006 5:10:59 PM)

quote:

Hello all:

Have you ever tried any PBEM testing with 7 people? It's easier to herd cats. This is not a slam against the testers BUT schedules this time of the year (including mine) are tough!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Thank you

Then you must not pay your playtesters. Schedule problems like you are refering to would only be happening because the playtesting is being done by volunteers around their regular jobs.

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/20/2006 6:53:54 PM)

You're right, these guys are priceless! We couldn't pay them what they're worth! :-)

Thank you

Paper Tiger -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/20/2006 9:47:20 PM)

Many things here are priceless, I would include the whinges of those who don't remember it taking 4 years in the old days to get enough players together to start a game of empire in arms only to find that mice had eaten Napoleon[8|] 

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 12:28:50 PM)

quote:

If it is so then someone is not doing his/her job properly. Since I dont know a damm* about PC game development, therefore I dont say it is you, but you are also on that list.

ktotwf -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 3:22:12 PM)

God, stop hounding the man for God's sake. You will have your game, until then SHUT UP!

The fact that you would speak so disrespectfully to someone else over a video game is absurd, and says nothing good about your personality.

What? Is everyone on this board 15 years old? They can't find some other focus for their life for a few months?

delatbabel -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 4:09:39 PM)

I have Medieval Total War II now, so the boat trip will not be all boredom and high seas. Plus Europa Universalis III will be out in Jan, so I'll have something to play when I get back. Perhaps some of the more whiney EiA players should pick those up (or even EU2 which makes a fairly decent napoleonics game, even if it doesn't have all of the battle flavour of EiA, however it does go back to 1419 and on to 1820).

Joisey -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 5:56:56 PM)

I've seen the TV ads for Medieval Total War II. How is that game? Give us a Review, eh? [:D]

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 6:31:15 PM)

quote:

I'm excited that our journey is closing...

More news to follow SOON!

Thank you

With all respect sir this was posted on 1st of October. It well could be that I am expecting too much, or my wishful thinkng has tkaen over my judgement.

As I said I am not a game developer but if the testers are not makeing progress then they should be made responsible, if they are volunteers then why are not properly employed (ie paid)? Someone in the management does not believe (I am sorry to say anymore) thath it ever gets finshed, therefore is not financing the testers?

Please forgive my bitterness I was among the adamant defenders, but I feel VERY disappointed.

Will_L_OLD -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 8:14:17 PM)

While it is a disappointment that this will not be out before Christmas this year I for one appreciate the additions to the game that Marshall has made since this thread was started.

Its not easy to playtest a game like this, needing seven players each of whom has their own personality. I've seen players who are not doing well in our FTF games of EIA lose interest and start to skip game sessions(we either nominate an ally to play their position for the day or UMP them if it continues), so its probably the same with the testers to some extent. Just a little more patience and we'll have our grail.

Joisey -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 10:10:01 PM)

They must not really be all that close to release. Missing the Christmas buying season, with all it's potential for sales, is HUGE for a game publishing company and very important in the computer game industry. I'm sure that if Matrix could get this thing out the door before 12/25 they'd be doing it.

If they can't, then that means they are pretty far from the finish line to be passing up all those sales profits.

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 10:14:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joisey

They must not really be all that close to release. Missing the Christmas buying season, with all it's potential for sales, is HUGE for a game publishing company and very important in the computer game industry. I'm sure that if Matrix could get this thing out the door before 12/25 they'd be doing it.

If they can't, then that means they are pretty far from the finish line to be passing up all those sales profits.

You are probably right. See ya around Eastern!

Vyshka -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/21/2006 11:28:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

I'm excited that our journey is closing...

More news to follow SOON!

Thank you

With all respect sir this was posted on 1st of October. It well could be that I am expecting too much, or my wishful thinkng has tkaen over my judgement.

As I said I am not a game developer but if the testers are not makeing progress then they should be made responsible, if they are volunteers then why are not properly employed (ie paid)? Someone in the management does not believe (I am sorry to say anymore) thath it ever gets finshed, therefore is not financing the testers?

Please forgive my bitterness I was among the adamant defenders, but I feel VERY disappointed.

Matrix is a pretty small operation, and so are the groups that develop their games. Neither party can really afford to pay playtesters. Most people involved, including those developing the games, have daytime jobs and the work they do on these projects is outside of that. The fact that the testers are volunteers has nothing to do with how Matrix and the developers feel about them. I am sure if they could make economic sense they would have paid testers. As it is they do compensate the testers to some extent by mention in credits for the game, and also for those that actively test possibly a free copy of the game.

People get bent out of shape because they are looking forward to titles and anxious to play them, but you have to remember this is not a huge shop like EA games with massive budgets. Just find something else to expend your time on and check in every once in a while. Eventually the game will be out and you will be able to enjoy it.

Murat -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/22/2006 12:20:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger
Many things here are priceless, I would include the whinges of those who don't remember it taking 4 years in the old days to get enough players together to start a game of empire in arms only to find that mice had eaten Napoleon[8|] 

Military bases and colleges are gold mines for players =) It might take you 4 years to finish the game but you will have a steady stream of players!

Murat -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/22/2006 12:26:00 AM)

quote:

Hello all:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Thank you

quote:

As it is they do compensate the testers to some extent by mention in credits for the game, and also for those that actively test possibly a free copy of the game.

Well not much we can do about Marshall being busy but I think it is safe to say that there are several willing subs for playtesting hanging around in this room, if they are needed.

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/22/2006 10:05:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat
Well not much we can do about Marshall being busy but I think it is safe to say that there are several willing subs for playtesting hanging around in this room, if they are needed.

Second to that. A fair BUT demanding agreement can be made AND SHOULD BE MADE even with volunteer playtesters. Even if some drops aout ther are always willing people in these forums (hint, hint) so this should not really be a problem. IMHO the bigger pool you use for selection the bigger chance you have to achieve your goal. Why must it be only 7 people? Why it cannot be 2 or 3 times seven?

As of small companies in my firm opinion it is a much BIGGER WASTE of money to develop games which are so-to-say not reaching their sales goal due to gameplay or other issues which could have been avoided given there was proper testing.

I seriously doubt that people who have a lot of spare time overseas soldeirs (I dont know whether they can accept money for such activities), university students and willing freelancers wont honor with good and reliable work even a small compensation of 100-200 USD. Well here in East-Eu it is a lot of money for a month to do what you do otherwise in your spare time.

Ha, a great Idea to Matrix management. Outsource gametesting. What do you think?:

timewalker03 -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/22/2006 11:24:23 AM)

This forum gets better and better every year. I can't say enough how some here take the high road and some the low when it comes to this game. For those who have just Joined the forum with in the last year, it seems you are now the ones defending Marshall and Matrix. Those who used to like Ursa and Murat have changed tunes and now like most of us who were here in 2003 hearing the same things are waiting impatiently. Yes the important thing here is a good product. Whats funny about the good product is it has changed very little in going on 4 years for some here. (I am at 3.5 years waiting from when I joined the forums.)Changed very little as in its in progress and will be released by "a Christmas just not this one".

I no longer play EiA and may not even buy the game now since my interests have changed in gaming, but I will keep my laminated map on my office wall as a reminder to what once was when I was younger and the fun i had playing passing time during the first Gulf war in 1990 waiting for the "action" to begin. Oh what a wonderful game it was. Now it stands to piss my wife off that the unsightly map hangs on the wall with all the corps and depots glued in place as they were during the last night my group of seven got together to finish 1807. That was 1991. Great times they were.

Ursa MAior -> RE: Announcement from the development team! (11/22/2006 11:44:08 AM)

Hope dies last.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI