RE: Age Group Playing AT (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

Powerslave -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/13/2008 2:10:12 AM)

I am still 35 years as I reported earlier I would also like to add that I'm from Sweden. :)

hadberz -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/13/2008 10:05:16 PM)

I guess my first wargame was one of those toy soldier playsets, I don't remember the name but it was a mountian with guns that the Allies had to assault. I played Risk alot as a kid, not much of a wargame but it got me on the path [:)] In high school me and my friends would play Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Car Wars, Blue Max, Midway, and Blitzkrieg. Our favorite was Blue Max, I always liked WW1 aerial combat.[:)] 

My first computer wargame was a text based Civil War simulation on the C64, no idea what the name of it was, it came free with the disk drive. I then played Empire, Wargame Construction Set, Colonial Conquest, Imperium Galactum (the one SSI made in 1984), Wizards Crown (yeah it's a rpg but I liked the tactical combat) I could go on and on about all those great c64 games [:)]

Advanced Tactics reminds me of Empire, makes me feel like a kid again, playing Empire all night on the C64[:)]

Nort -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/16/2008 2:44:09 AM)

I cut my teeth on the AH classics: PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader. Then my addiction got serious.

daywalker -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/16/2008 7:40:37 PM)

My first war game was Panzer Blitz. Some of my favorites were Squad Leader, Blitzkrieg, Stalingrad, Midway, Caesar, War and Peace, The Russian Campiagn, The Third Reich and Anzio. AT has the same feel as some of these older AH games to me. This is why I enjoy the game so much. It's not the graphic's but, the game play. I live in Louisville, KY....GO CARDS [:)]

Regards,

Gil

montarakid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/16/2008 9:37:33 PM)

Recently turned 61. I began war gaming with AH's Tactics II and their first version of Gettysburg. I live in Montara, CA, about 20 miles south of San Francisco on the Pacific Ocean coast.

jgdesigner -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/17/2008 5:27:06 PM)

First board wargame:Blitzkrieg (1970), First videogame:Pong, First computer wargame: The Ancient Art of War (1990?)

reg113 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/17/2008 7:24:17 PM)

First wargame Milton Bradley "Broadsides" (1964?)

thomas916 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/17/2008 10:51:22 PM)

I am 46 so far

Banquet -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/18/2008 12:32:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thomas916

I am 46 so far

[:D]

39 here... 40 next month, which I'm not looking forward to!!

First board game was Panzer Blitz, followed by squad leader. First computer wargame I can remember the name of was Combat Leader by SSI, for the Atari 800. I loved that game. You could just take control of 1 squad and let the AI control the rest. I used to take a mortar squad and try to give bombardment support to friendly units :)

rhinobones -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/18/2008 3:57:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet
... 40 next month, which I'm not looking forward to!!

As time passes 40 will sound good. It will sound really, really good. Trust me on this!

Regards, RhinoBones

Grell -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/18/2008 11:26:35 PM)

I'm 44.

Banquet -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/19/2008 12:08:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

... 40 next month, which I'm not looking forward to!!

As time passes 40 will sound good. It will sound really, really good. Trust me on this!

Regards, RhinoBones

Good point, puts in all in perspective :)

Sgt.Fury25 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/22/2008 4:50:49 PM)

52 and counting,great game by the way.

harley9699 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 12:48:31 AM)

45, but feel 18----most of the time.
Might 'grow up' when I'm 75? 80?

Naaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

siRkid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 4:12:14 AM)

52 here, Avalon Hill's Kriegspiel first board game. Computer Ambush first PC war game. Airfix to Warhammer and everything inbetween. Hate to admit it but I even got the first GI Joe when it came out. I'm still painting the Warhamer figures.

Iron Knight -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 6:12:35 AM)

I'm an odd one for my age group in the US (Southwest Missouri): 21 [;)]

Spadowski -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 10:12:38 AM)

I'm 36, turn 37 end of next month. Tinkered with war games over the years on the computer, but AT is the first one that's really hooked me. Played various tabletop games. My earliest one was a tank one. It was NOT Avalon Hill. It came in a pretty big box, had a pretty big map, and had little plastic tanks and little plastic flat bed trucks that could transport the tanks. I honestly can't remember for the life of me what the game was called...

oldspec4 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 4:16:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: NotaGrog
AT seems to be fulfilling a real need of the 40-somethings[:)][:)]

Haha! Buying a good computer game is the best way I can think of to take the edge off the "middle-age crazies". I tell you it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a Corvette, or engaging the amorous services of a wanton mistress. Not that I would have any first-hand knowledge of such things...[:D]

57 here in Arizona..started w/ a Milton Bradley Civil War boardgame in 1960-61? I still have my "vette" ("99 FRC) and the women have cost me beaucoup $ over the years. Forever young!

mkjhartmann -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 10:51:36 PM)

I am 44 from Colorado.

Never played any board games always computer.  My first war games were whatever Strategic Simulations Inc (SSI) put out in the early/mid 80s.

Mike

siRkid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/24/2008 11:58:30 PM)

Have you noticed that most of the players posting here are new to Matrix and don't have an Avantar.[sm=00000116.gif]

british exil -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/25/2008 12:26:38 AM)

Kid
I don't even know how to make one.

Well not one like yours, only the ones that Matrix provide you with.

reg113 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/25/2008 1:36:36 AM)

Yeah, what a hoot, huh?

siRkid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/25/2008 4:53:59 AM)

Please don't take me wrong it was not a cut down. Just an observation. I spend a lot of time on the War in the Pacific board and everyone there has not only avatars but banners as well. Just made me wonder if AT called to a different type of gamer. If you have access to a graphics program, you just need to shrink a picture do to something like 150 X 150 and go to your profile to upload it.  By the way mine is from a oil painting my son did.

siRkid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/25/2008 4:58:06 AM)

Wow just noticed that most players are not new but just have few post. Again very intresting.

Iron Knight -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/25/2008 8:47:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spadowski

I'm 36, turn 37 end of next month. Tinkered with war games over the years on the computer, but AT is the first one that's really hooked me. Played various tabletop games. My earliest one was a tank one. It was NOT Avalon Hill. It came in a pretty big box, had a pretty big map, and had little plastic tanks and little plastic flat bed trucks that could transport the tanks. I honestly can't remember for the life of me what the game was called...

Would that game be Tank Commander? Link- http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/32028

Banquet -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/26/2008 2:01:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid
By the way mine is from a oil painting my son did.

Wow, your son is good! That's a great picture! :)

siRkid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/26/2008 5:01:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

By the way mine is from a oil painting my son did.

Wow, your son is good! That's a great picture! :)

Thanks. He is in the process of redoing his web site but if you want to see more of his stuff got to http://www.eddieporter.com

Banquet -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/27/2008 5:34:32 AM)

quote:

Thanks. He is in the process of redoing his web site but if you want to see more of his stuff got to http://www.eddieporter.com

Lovely artwork, I bet you're proud :)

I can't draw or paint at all, but my dad was an artist.. he sometimes painted, but was more a comic strip artist. It probably wouldn't be familiar outside the UK but his most notable 'job' was drawing Dan Dare;

He'd have liked your son's art, the detail and linework is very good :)

[image]local://upfiles/7449/1CF646EDD6D14BFE9E13FF33EAC267B7.gif[/image]

siRkid -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (1/27/2008 3:08:19 PM)

I did a serch for Dan Dare and found a lot of stuff. Looks like it was a very fun comic. I'll send the info on to my son I'm sure he'll enjoy your dad's work as much as I did.

dominickpa -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/19/2008 12:44:32 AM)

64 and wish the manual was as clear as the AH games I played 30 years ago! Can't wait for someone to post a walkthrough!

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI