RE: Age Group Playing AT (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

Joshuatree -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/19/2008 6:44:11 PM)

46 [:D]

First game; Pong... and I still remember those stupid controls [:@] Up = turn left, and down = turn right [:@] needless to say I mostly lost from my neighbour kid.

@ Dominick, did you read some of the sticky AAR's, they cover most of the stuff. And try some smaller scenarios first, to see what does exactly what. 

explorer2 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/19/2008 8:14:13 PM)

51, Sacramento, California, USA
Can't remember which AH/SSI board games were first for me, AH Civil War?, AH Panzer Leader? SSI Napolean at Waterloo? THey were all great and I've missed them. AT does indeed have a lot of the feel of these for me, but a little more time consuming and tedious than the old board games.

On the other hand, does anybody remember the problems with finding enough space to play some of the bigger board games? That was always a problem for me, but computer screens have totally changed all that!

Mr. Stik -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/21/2008 5:43:38 AM)

42, Sterling, Virginia, USA

I got into wargaming with lead miniatures about 20 years ago; micro-armor using Command Decision rules.  I also ran across a copy of Avalon Hill's Arab Israeli War somewhere and started playing that.  Then came the computer games . . . I loved the original Panzer General and still fire that one up every now and then.  Anyone remember the V for Victory series?  I liked them too.  I've been a lurker here in the Matrix forums for a long time, but don't post much.  Keep forgetting my account and have to get a new name . . .

I'm Stikmann on the Advanced Tactics community site.

Tac2i -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/21/2008 3:52:07 PM)

First Intro to "war" gaming: Milton Bradley's Dogfight and Broadside, Risk

First Board Wargame(s): Avalon Hill's Tactics II and Blitzkrieg

Favorite Board Wargame: The Russian Campaign by Avalon Hill Gaming Company

First Computer: Atari 800 (1981), Amiga 500 (1985), Intel PCs (1992 onward)

First Computer Wargame: Eastern Front 1941 for the Atari 800 (actually pretty darn good game)

Favorite Computer Wargames:
IGOUGO: Advanced Tactics: World War II, Civilization IV, Empire Deluxe (a classic - 1993)
RTS: SuddenStrike by CDV (don't really have much interest in RTS anymore)
Currently playing: Advanced Tactics and Commander: Europe at War
On my radar: Operational Art of War III, World in Flames (have the board game... waiting for the PC release)

Gaming Experience/History:
I have collection of over 200 old board wargames dating back to the 60s, 70s and early 80s (some of them SPI magazine games). Most of them haven't been touched for nearly 20 years. A few computer games also sit idle in my computer desk. Played World War II Online for about year (2001/2002). My first play by email game experience was Gary Grisby's World at War (2005 edition). These days, PBEM suits my temperament and time constraints. Getting to old to be playing games that require quick reflexes or long periods of time at my keyboard.

Tac2i -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/21/2008 5:58:52 PM)

I remember: SPI's War in Europe and War in the Pacific (still have both of them), TAHGC's The Longest Day, SPI's Wacht am Rhein... fond memories
quote:

ORIGINAL: explorer2

On the other hand, does anybody remember the problems with finding enough space to play some of the bigger board games?

lomyrin -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/21/2008 7:25:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

First Intro to "war" gaming: Milton Bradley's Dogfight and Broadside, Risk

First Board Wargame(s): Avalon Hill's Tactics II and Blitzkrieg

Favorite Board Wargame: The Russian Campaign by Avalon Hill Gaming Company

First Computer: Atari 800 (1981), Amiga 500 (1985), Intel PCs (1992 onward)

First Computer Wargame: Eastern Front 1941 for the Atari 800 (actually pretty darn good game)

Favorite Computer Wargames:
IGOUGO: Advanced Tactics: World War II, Civilization IV, Empire Deluxe (a classic - 1993)
RTS: SuddenStrike by CDV (don't really have much interest in RTS anymore)
Currently playing: Advanced Tactics and Commander: Europe at War
On my radar: Operational Art of War III, World in Flames (have the board game... waiting for the PC release)

Gaming Experience/History:
I have collection of over 200 old board wargames dating back to the 60s, 70s and early 80s (some of them SPI magazine games). Most of them haven't been touched for nearly 20 years. A few computer games also sit idle in my computer desk. Played World War II Online for about year (2001/2002). My first play by email game experience was Gary Grisby's World at War (2005 edition). These days, PBEM suits my temperament and time constraints. Getting to old to be playing games that require quick reflexes or long periods of time at my keyboard.

All above very similar to my past experiences with wargames including Risk in the late 60's.

I also played TacticsII and Blitzkrieg, then AH Russian Campaign and a bunch of AH and SPI titles.

Since about 87 mostly World in Flames and the incomplete but very playable ADG computer version CWiF which I still play awaiting the MWiF release.

Advanced Tactics is also a very fine game and I play it PBEM now.

I am old enough to remember the later parts of WWII and refugees in our schools spring of 45.

Lars

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/22/2008 2:02:26 AM)

45, feeling it and looking it.

LazyBoy -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/22/2008 10:32:55 AM)

habakuk -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/23/2008 2:31:28 AM)

28 - and just when i thought I was getting old, this thread makes me feel like a kid among all these really old people! [:D]

nslcole -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/23/2008 11:56:22 AM)

36 and now I am feeling very young.[:D]

Tac2i -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/23/2008 10:49:26 PM)

Thanks for that bit of info. I went to the ADG site and bought CWiF for $15 just to get taste of what the Matrix version is based on.
quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

... Since about 87 mostly World in Flames and the incomplete but very playable ADG computer version CWiF which I still play awaiting the MWiF release. ...
Lars

lomyrin -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/23/2008 10:59:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Thanks for that bit of info. I went to the ADG site and bought CWiF for $15 just to get taste of what the Matrix version is based on.
quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

... Since about 87 mostly World in Flames and the incomplete but very playable ADG computer version CWiF which I still play awaiting the MWiF release. ...
Lars

If you peruse the many threads in the World in Flames forum you will geta very good idea of hte new version of the game and it's looks etc.

Lars

fredericklai -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/25/2008 7:35:30 AM)

I'm 42, from Hong Kong.

The first wargame I played was Guns of August from AH.  But my favourite wargame is Up Front from AH.  I'm teaching Up Front to one of my students who is 16.  He likes the game so much.  We play twice a week after school.

I admire those of you who are over 60 or have retired.  You can enjoy your games all the time.  I always think that the generation who was born in the early 1950s (in the West and in Hong Kong) is the happiest.  They did not experience warfare and is affluent by the time they retire, advance in science and technology allows a comfortable retired life (espescially playing computer wargames).  To me, the time for retirement is still so far away.

lion_of_judah -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/25/2008 11:48:21 PM)

Bossy573 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (3/26/2008 5:08:11 AM)

41 - Buffalo, NY.

I'm actually kinda hooked on EU3 right now but AT is a hoot. Just haven't played it in a bit.

The life manual said I should be rich by now. [8|] I want a refund.

Azghaf -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (4/2/2008 10:49:09 AM)

Hi,

I'm 39 and regressing rapidly!  Like a lot of people here I started on Risk then moved to the Avalon Hill board wargames.  Mostly played Third Reich and Squad Leader, all of which are still in the attic - anyone local (Gloucestershire, UK) fancy a game?

As far as computer wargames, only really played Panzer General.  BUt I played this to death, it was a brilliant game.  Now playing too much AT (according to my wife that is!) which is the closest thing I've found to the old Avalon Hill / Panzer General games.

Dave

leehunt27@bloomberg.net -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (4/2/2008 8:16:22 PM)

32. my main PBEM opponent is also 32

Shambling Strider -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (4/8/2008 2:41:43 AM)

Hi,

I'm 38, from Sherbrooke, Canada. My first wargame was (even before Risk !), La Guerre des Ducs, an 'encart' game sold with a French magazine called Jeux&Strategie in the late '70's. After that, it was like a lot of people here, AH and GDW board wargames (Panzer Blitz, Iron men & Wooden ships, 1941, etc.).

For computer wargames, AT's my first, except for Peoples Tactics ! And I like it a lot ! Thanx Vic (Thanx for PT too) !

Like for Azghaf up here, my wife think that I'm playing AT a lot... That's why I'm playing big games for long AI turns... while I'm going back with my wife !!!

Grymme -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 9:50:06 AM)

Bumping this funny and ancient thread, and adding that i am 32 and from Sweden.

This thread seem to be a baby though, compared to the average age of the AT-players...

lecrop -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 2:45:01 PM)

Good bump. I'm 42, Catalan. Awesome and surreal thread [sm=00000280.gif]

budd -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 3:46:29 PM)

42, washington [the state]

RoryAndersonCDT -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 7:15:46 PM)

I'm 24

ernieschwitz -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 7:18:01 PM)

37, Denmark, the country ;)

Josh -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 7:23:50 PM)

Yeah thanks for bumping this thread Grymme... now I'm even older then when the thread was originally posted! [:@]

LOL [;)]

Tufkal2 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 7:28:21 PM)

Played a lot of games like Conquistador, Civilization, Invasion: Earth in high school. My first computer wargame was probably Nato Commander on C64. Those were the days...

Keunert -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 9:40:06 PM)

36, swiss

Rosseau -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 10:59:00 PM)

phatkarp -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/8/2011 11:00:10 PM)

Iowa, USA

AlanBernardo -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/9/2011 12:21:16 AM)

Brother, 55
Brother, 58
Mom, 92 (Deceased)
Pop, 52 (Deceased)
Dog 12 (Deceased)
4 Cows, 3 Sheep, 7 Horses (what I dreamed of last night)

Alan

parusski -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/9/2011 3:45:44 AM)

45. But I can't remember how that number caught up with me.

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI