RE: OT - WWII quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 4:29:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

1. What major power was the only one to have a spy in Japan? (I believe)

2. What allied unit was the first to enter Rome?

Why do I ask those, with all the living encyclopedias there, they will answer in 30 seconds.

2. The 1st Special Service Force, aka "Devil's Brigade", the joint U.S. - Canadian unit that was the ancestor of the Green Berets.

Greywolf -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 10:47:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

Sorry. let me rephrase

What ended on the August 31, 1939 (the day before World War II started) ?

The Inter-wars... (l'Entre Deux Guerres en français :p )

Greywolf -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 10:48:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larssto

This is slightly pre-WWII, hope that's allowed.

What's the name of the depicted aircraft and what's so special about its companion navy ship?

Lars

[image]local://upfiles/32636/E82AD63E5BB14DD3BA593C4CD4889987.jpg[/image]

His companion ship is a Zeppelin ?

micheljq -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 2:55:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

2. What allied unit was the first to enter Rome?

Why do I ask those, with all the living encyclopedias there, they will answer in 30 seconds.

2. The 1st Special Service Force, aka "Devil's Brigade", the joint U.S. - Canadian unit that was the ancestor of the Green Berets.

Correct, they did enter Rome and left. 8 months and a lot of battles later, the allies did capture Rome. That unit was also surnamed the "Black devils", because of their ability to use camouflage and attack at night.

ItBurns -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 3:02:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

quote:

What's the name of the depicted aircraft and what's so special about its companion navy ship?

Lars

Technically its companion (the "ship" it was launched from) was a blimp. A Zeppelin is a rigid framed air ship where a blimp is nonrigid framed. I believe the US only flew blimps.

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 3:23:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

quote:

Lars

Technically its companion (the "ship" it was launched from) was a blimp. A Zeppelin is a rigid framed air ship where a blimp is nonrigid framed. I believe the US only flew blimps.

The aircraft carrying airships (Akron and Macon from memory) were rigid. The aircraft is a Sparrowhawk.

Cheers, Neilster

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/2/2009 6:12:04 PM)

key feature in the photo ... the hook on TOP of the airplane

SamuraiProgrmmr -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/3/2009 1:02:14 AM)

quote:

Sorry. let me rephrase

What ended on the August 31, 1939 (the day before World War II started) ?

When I posed the question, the answer was intended to be 'the war between the Soviet Union and Japan'. In searching the reference for posting here, I now realize that while the fighting might have been over, the official declaration of peace might not have happened for a while.

From "The Second World War : A Complete History" by Martin Gilbert....

quote:

On...August 31, the Soviet Union, Germany's ally of less than a week, had finally been victorious in its battle with the Japanese on the Soviet-Mongolian borderlands, as Soviet forces, commanded by General Zhukov, destroyed the last reststance of the Sixth Japanese Army at Khalkhin Gol. As one war ended, another began, known to history as the Second World War.

When I first read this I gathered that the war between the Soviet Union and Japan had ended on the day before WWII started.

But it is still sort of interesting. From an Eastern perspective, the attack on Poland might not be the starting point of the war; but rather hostilities between Japan and the Soviet Union (or even hostilities between Japan and Korea, China, etc.

olivier_slith -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/3/2009 2:11:01 AM)

I thought the Brits had blimps too

nyhotep -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/3/2009 11:45:32 AM)

Well, does Colonel Blimp count?

nyhotep -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/3/2009 11:49:50 AM)

quote:

What object did a B24 shoot down with a .50 cal in 1944? (Hint: a unique occurence!)

Anyone any ideas on this, yet?

Extraneous -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/3/2009 11:20:12 PM)

Neilster is correct the USS Akron (ZRS-4) and USS Macon (ZRS-5) were Rigid airships.

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/4/2009 3:13:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyhotep

quote:

What object did a B24 shoot down with a .50 cal in 1944? (Hint: a unique occurence!)

Total guess - a V1 ?

nyhotep -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/4/2009 11:12:08 AM)

Nope, lots of V1s were shot down.

Kaletsch2007 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/4/2009 11:41:15 AM)

I would go for a V2 ?

micheljq -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/4/2009 1:30:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

A bird?

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/4/2009 3:53:36 PM)

quote:

When I posed the question, the answer was intended to be 'the war between the Soviet Union and Japan'. In searching the reference for posting here, I now realize that while the fighting might have been over, the official declaration of peace might not have happened for a while.

From "The Second World War : A Complete History" by Martin Gilbert....

Maybe the date you are looking for is at some point in March, 1941, when the Russians and Japanese did finally sign a Non-Aggression Pact. But with no official declaration of war, there didn't ever need to be an official declaration of peace I guess.

nyhotep -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/4/2009 5:14:36 PM)

Kaletsch has it, apparaently, the only V2 shot down was by a B24, just as it was being launched.

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/5/2009 4:09:15 AM)

quote:

Nope, lots of V1s were shot down.

I know, but I didn't think too many were shot down by bombers.

nyhotep -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/7/2009 2:23:57 PM)

Good point!

Extraneous -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/8/2009 1:28:22 AM)

quote:

How about Japanese bombers?

In 1944 B24's were most active in bombing targets in Rumania and New Guinea.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/8/2009 6:15:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

quote:

How about Japanese bombers?

In 1944 B24's were most active in bombing targets in Rumania and New Guinea.

Warspite1

See post 1458...

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/17/2009 9:10:11 AM)

quote:

Kaletsch has it, apparaently, the only V2 shot down was by a B24, just as it was being launched.

Didn't a B-24 also shot down a Fw200 Condor, or am I mistaking with some other big bird vs. big bird engagement ?

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/17/2009 9:10:41 AM)

quote:

Where can one read more about that ?

Extraneous -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/18/2009 4:06:06 PM)

Soviet pilots joked that rather than being an acronym of the designers' names (Lavochkin, Gobunov, Goudkov) "LaGG" stood for what?

Mike Parker -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/18/2009 4:50:36 PM)

I did have to look up the Russian words "Letayushchiy Absolyutno Garantirovanny Grob"

it basically means flying coffin

Extraneous -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/18/2009 4:57:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

I did have to look up the Russian words "Letayushchiy Absolyutno Garantirovanny Grob"

Close enough...

The novel, wood-laminate construction of the aircraft continued to be poor quality (as with its predecessor) and pilots joked that rather than being an acronym of the designers' names it stood for Lakirovanny garantirovanny grob ("guaranteed varnished coffin").

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/18/2009 10:53:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

Close enough...

The novel, wood-laminate construction of the aircraft continued to be poor quality (as with its predecessor) and pilots joked that rather than being an acronym of the designers' names it stood for Lakirovanny garantirovanny grob ("guaranteed varnished coffin").

Nice.

Orm -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (10/31/2009 8:06:04 AM)

Who is supposed to have said following quote? Please, remember, to answer from memmory and no internet browsing on the answer.

"I don't know what the hell this "logistics" is that Marshall is always talking about, but I want some of it."

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (10/31/2009 10:52:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Who is supposed to have said following quote? Please, remember, to answer from memmory and no internet browsing on the answer.

"I don't know what the hell this "logistics" is that Marshall is always talking about, but I want some of it."

Well, I don't know - never having heard the quote before. But I'll take a guess that it was McArthur.

Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI