RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/10/2008 7:24:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krasny

Veldor, I don't believe you preordered a MMO.

You will be paying to beta test the thing.

I'm assuming your attempting to be humorous here.. MMO's are never finished so looked at that way even a year later its "still in beta". One could say the same thing about virtually every Matrix Game too. For that matter pretty much any PC Game period. For my part the only place where that rule doesn't really apply is console gaming, which in part is why its probably so popular... But there again one of the biggest reasons is the locked down hardware "profile".

From an official stance, the beta is over (both closed and open) in approx 30 days, and Amazon doesn't charge my card until the final non-beta product ships.

The Warhammer MMO has been in production the longest of any MMO ever and is being made by a company with a good track record. Most "leaked" beta reports are also very favorable. Much unlike pretty much all the recent MMOs (Age of Conan, Vanguard, etc.). And given that I personally find plenty to like about both of those, there is really nothing anyone can say that will stop me from trying Warhammer.

Its really about whether your a glass half-empty or glass half-full type. If your looking for something to complain about or some missing content to get all up in arms about... Well I guarantee you'll find it, again like any MMO.

USSAmerica -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 1:41:35 AM)

I know it's "space based", but have a look at the free space empire strategy game OGame.org.  There is also now a us based OGame.us.  Several of us WitP players have an alliance and play to fill the time between PBEM turns.  Can't beat the price.  [;)]

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 4:12:21 AM)

Well, they're not opening the new Beta3 servers until sometime mid-week so it makes the godawful amount of time downloading the torrent for the game less painful.

I was orginally planning on going Destruction, likely greenskins.  'Cause it just looks fun to be a nasty Orc or Goblin. [8D]

Krasny -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 11:18:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krasny

Veldor, I don't believe you preordered a MMO.

You will be paying to beta test the thing.

I'm assuming your attempting to be humorous here.. MMO's are never finished so looked at that way even a year later its "still in beta". One could say the same thing about virtually every Matrix Game too. For that matter pretty much any PC Game period. For my part the only place where that rule doesn't really apply is console gaming, which in part is why its probably so popular... But there again one of the biggest reasons is the locked down hardware "profile".

From an official stance, the beta is over (both closed and open) in approx 30 days, and Amazon doesn't charge my card until the final non-beta product ships.

The Warhammer MMO has been in production the longest of any MMO ever and is being made by a company with a good track record. Most "leaked" beta reports are also very favorable. Much unlike pretty much all the recent MMOs (Age of Conan, Vanguard, etc.). And given that I personally find plenty to like about both of those, there is really nothing anyone can say that will stop me from trying Warhammer.

Its really about whether your a glass half-empty or glass half-full type. If your looking for something to complain about or some missing content to get all up in arms about... Well I guarantee you'll find it, again like any MMO.

Not being humourous in the least.

It's true MMOs are never finished in that content and patches are added as time goes by, but in the first few months of a MMO tend to be a chaotic mess, with half the content missing or broken and the gameplay a laggy suckfest.

So yeah, if this your idea of a complete game, then I stand corrected, however since the game doesn't do what it says on the tin, most reasonable people would call it 'paying to beta.'

Most MMO players are very optimistic about future games. This optimism has absolutly no basis in reality, and is bordering on the delusional.

Still saying that I would welcome some feedback on WAR.

Moster -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 2:21:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I just got an invite to Closed Beta in Warhammer Online.

I'm thinking there's only a couple weeks left before the NDA is lifted & Open Beta begins so keep an eye out for me.

You might want to check your NDA. In the closed betas that I have been in just mentioning that you are in a specific game's closed beta breaks your NDA.

Montbrun -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 2:45:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

I wish I had the freetime left for it. Would love to give Warhammer a try.

There is a Warhammer Beta, and I'm in it....

Erik Rutins -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 2:54:38 PM)

Interestingly enough, since this thread got started, our incidence of "WOW GOLD" type spammers has increased drastically.

Terminus -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/11/2008 2:56:28 PM)

Wonder why?[8|]

Krasny -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/12/2008 11:01:55 AM)

quote:

Wonder why?

Google works I guess.

Hertston -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/12/2008 9:55:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moster

You might want to check your NDA. In the closed betas that I have been in just mentioning that you are in a specific game's closed beta breaks your NDA.

Punishable by the death penalty....... [;)]

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/12/2008 10:35:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moster

quote:

I just got an invite to Closed Beta in Warhammer Online.

I'm thinking there's only a couple weeks left before the NDA is lifted & Open Beta begins so keep an eye out for me.

No, WAR's closed beta NDA agreement stated that you can say there is a Beta and that you're in it. As Brad mentioned. [;)]

panzers -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 12:22:01 AM)

LOL. What a joke. Anyone that buys into that deserves everything they get when their mommies and daddies want to know what their viruses are on their pc's. Nothing worse than a twinked up character because they feel they have top buy their way in real dollars to make their toons better than anyone else's.
Supposedly, WOW is cracking down on that and permanantly banning people for doing that.

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 1:13:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

LOL. What a joke. Anyone that buys into that deserves everything they get when their mommies and daddies want to know what their viruses are on their pc's. Nothing worse than a twinked up character because they feel they have top buy their way in real dollars to make their toons better than anyone else's.
Supposedly, WOW is cracking down on that and permanantly banning people for doing that.

It's all a matter of perspective. It's also not kids on average that spend the money.. its adults. And for that matter a good number of them do it because they don't have the time or patience to grind through the game just to get to the endgame. Another reason is that they already did with one character only to find out that class was nerfed or whatever and the thought of having to start all over again just to get back to where they were is unbearable (So they pay for the power-leveling).

Here again its a matter of perspective. I don't play the endgame much because I don't currently usually put enough time into a game to get to it. This is further diluted by the fact that I enjoy playing multiple classes/characters which only lengthens that process.

But there are those that don't enjoy any of the rest. They just enjoy the massive battles / RAIDs etc.

It's a game after all. Who says you have to "earn" your way or right to play a certain way? Especially if you don't enjoy it.

Back before gold farming and the selling of virtual gold was a full time job for Asians, there were actually legitimate services being offered to MMO players that the game didnt offer directly. These weren't always for profit either. I was involved in plenty in UO being a bit of the pioneer there. One was a server transfer service (To move you and your liquidized belongings from one server to another), the next was a Virtual Real Estate Service (To sell your castle, home, etc or find you something affordable you were looking for, the next was a travel service (Essentially hoards of runebooks with every concievable desitination.. be it normal or excrutiatingly exotic). The last was especially profitable/useful/etc. as it wasn't much fun for the average person to go around spending countless hours marking runes.

But there again, UO had a real player based economy. Most everything you bought you would walk over to someones actual house and buy it off a vendor. It just isnt like that in newer MMOs...

In UO it was done as much as part of becoming the richest most powerful guild with the best castle etc... Nothing to do with supporting a family of 8 and putting rice on the table...

Of course I'm just trying to point out the other side and the whole story here. I am extremely against the selling of gold or anything else that messes with the virtual economy. I suppose I don't really have a problem with paying for power-leveling though. It doesnt really hurt anyone else and if they haven't played another character through from the start then they will probably not be a good player anyway.

I wish I could make a living in America by playing games for other people....

Larac -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 1:19:23 AM)

I have played many started with EQ.

Playing Saga the Fantasy War Game one. It uses a booster pack for the Race army units, but all can be traded for in game, just takes longer if you not wqnt but more. Fileplanet and Gamershell had free full accounts, that come with a booster or two.
Its a light build a kingdom game with battles having 2-4 units at a time.

Looking at WAR, got to beta a bit was fun.

Of all I seem to wander back to Lord of the Rings every few months, atm I am in my non computer game phase, but that will break through soon.

Happy hunting all,

Oh take a gander at Tabla Rasua (sp), all who do the free trial will have the Char Name and image shot into space, and a few lucky folks will have thier DNA sequenced and a digital version sent as well. Odd but kinda a cool thing.

Lee

Larac -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 1:26:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

I read through this thread but none of the MMOs discussed here are what I'm looking for. I would like a game high on strategy with no fast action or pvp elements, with guilds but little or no rp, somewhat realistic rather than magic, open-ended rather than missions or quests, and preferably a land rather than a space setting. It is a plus if it can be handled in no more than an hour or two each day. Any suggestions?

Check out Saga Online, it has some of what you seek.

Lee

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 2:00:00 AM)

From what I know Warner Bros. Pictures & Legendary Pictures are still working on a 2009 release date for the Major Motion Picture "Warcraft". With a budget of over $100 million dollars its supposedly not aimed at being a cheeseball ripoff like certain other videogame based movies but rather an epic tale that stands on its own.

I mention that only because I continue to be saddened by the fact that Warcraft is and always was a ripoff of Warhammer in the first place and its a bit unfair since the Warhammer 40K Movie was canceled...

There is a pretty nice opening cinematic for the new Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II though.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36579.html

Anyway also wanted to point out that the movie will obviously generate virgin interest in the MMO genre and that can only be a good thing.. So W0W to me is again sort of like what Axis & Allies is to wargaming....

String -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 9:20:32 AM)

For a taste of what a player driven economy in an MMO has to offer, read the last Eve Online Quarterly Economic Newsletter.

Although most if it won't make sense if you don't play eve, some of it will and it does have lots and lots of pretty graphics and ingame screenshots.

And here's another dev Blog about the ship production in eve online. Every single ship is produced by players, from the lowly shuttles to the greatest Titan.

panzers -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/13/2008 4:41:21 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

It's all a matter of perspective. It's also not kids on average that spend the money.. its adults. And for that matter a good number of them do it because they don't have the time or patience to grind through the game just to get to the endgame. Another reason is that they already did with one character only to find out that class was nerfed or whatever and the thought of having to start all over again just to get back to where they were is unbearable (So they pay for the power-leveling).

Here again its a matter of perspective. I don't play the endgame much because I don't currently usually put enough time into a game to get to it. This is further diluted by the fact that I enjoy playing multiple classes/characters which only lengthens that process.

But there are those that don't enjoy any of the rest. They just enjoy the massive battles / RAIDs etc.

It's a game after all. Who says you have to "earn" your way or right to play a certain way? Especially if you don't enjoy it.

Back before gold farming and the selling of virtual gold was a full time job for Asians, there were actually legitimate services being offered to MMO players that the game didnt offer directly. These weren't always for profit either. I was involved in plenty in UO being a bit of the pioneer there. One was a server transfer service (To move you and your liquidized belongings from one server to another), the next was a Virtual Real Estate Service (To sell your castle, home, etc or find you something affordable you were looking for, the next was a travel service (Essentially hoards of runebooks with every concievable desitination.. be it normal or excrutiatingly exotic). The last was especially profitable/useful/etc. as it wasn't much fun for the average person to go around spending countless hours marking runes.

But there again, UO had a real player based economy. Most everything you bought you would walk over to someones actual house and buy it off a vendor. It just isnt like that in newer MMOs...

In UO it was done as much as part of becoming the richest most powerful guild with the best castle etc... Nothing to do with supporting a family of 8 and putting rice on the table...

Of course I'm just trying to point out the other side and the whole story here. I am extremely against the selling of gold or anything else that messes with the virtual economy. I suppose I don't really have a problem with paying for power-leveling though. It doesnt really hurt anyone else and if they haven't played another character through from the start then they will probably not be a good player anyway.

I wish I could make a living in America by playing games for other people....

Well, I said that with the inferance that the mommies and daddies paid for their spoiled rotten brats to buy that crap and their subscription. So I guess I didn't make myself very clear on that

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/16/2008 2:10:35 AM)

Hey Veldor... you gonna be in the Warhammer Open Beta?

I'll let ya know what server I've been on when it opens. [8D]

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/16/2008 2:29:49 AM)

quote:

Hey Veldor... you gonna be in the Warhammer Open Beta?

I'll let ya know what server I've been on when it opens. [8D]

Assuming I get an Amazon.com invite then yes..

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/16/2008 8:25:58 AM)

quote:

Amazon always sends out their codes at the last minute. I started ordering from Gamestop's online store since the codes & the actual games show up early... often shows up at my front door the same day their stores get them. And this time they screwed up and sent me the Collector's Edition codes instead of the standard ones as I should've gotten. [:D]

hadberz -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/16/2008 2:05:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

Amazon always sends out their codes at the last minute. I started ordering from Gamestop's online store since the codes & the actual games show up early... often shows up at my front door the same day their stores get them. And this time they screwed up and sent me the Collector's Edition codes instead of the standard ones as I should've gotten. [:D]

I ordered from Amazon.com and got my codes within minutes. They were under View your Media Library, Downloads. I ordered the Standard Edition on the 8 of Aug, so maybe they changed it from when the pre-order first started.

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/16/2008 7:00:16 PM)

Yep, listen to hadberz.  Amazon doesn't always send you an email. 

It's best to log into your Amazon account and check under your Media Library-Downloads for them.  EA Mythic just opened the account creating for OB/preorder codes yesterday and you should've received them by now.

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/17/2008 4:53:42 AM)

Ok, you guys were right. No email yet, but my codes were all at that spot under my Amazon Account. So I've filled out the form.. but it looks like open beta hasn't started? How do I actually download the game to play?

PS. Looks like my code is good for downloading as of Monday August 18th. So only a day to wait!

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/17/2008 8:42:17 AM)

quote:

Ok, you guys were right. No email yet, but my codes were all at that spot under my Amazon Account. So I've filled out the form.. but it looks like open beta hasn't started? How do I actually download the game to play?

PS. Looks like my code is good for downloading as of Monday August 18th. So only a day to wait!

Yep, they were gonna have the OB download available on Friday but after the horrible Torrent debacle for the latest closed beta swarm they've postponed it until Monday so you can get better download speeds.

There were tons of leechers and many who didn't even have a login for closed beta were downloading the torrent. Equaled the suck.

Hertston -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/18/2008 8:26:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

I play casually play Eve Online. I recommend you give Eve a try. There really is no other game like it, at least that I know about.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Finally got around to trying EVE in the last couple of weeks and have just signed on. The game farts on all the elves and pixies stuff from a great height; 'Elite' (with 'thinking' rather than 'twitch' combat, which is cool as I suck at twitching) in a universe with 250,000 or so real people, and a thinking person's game to boot (if you want it to be). I'll be playing for a long while I think [:)]

NefariousKoel -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/18/2008 9:42:19 PM)

Well, Warhammer's NDA is dropping tomorrow it seems.

Open Beta starts Sept. 7 and the d/l is on Filefront, I believe.

hadberz -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/18/2008 11:39:25 PM)

I can't believe I forgot about Elite, then again it's been over 20 years since I last played it [:)] your right Eve is like Elite with more people [:)]

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/19/2008 1:12:02 AM)

quote:

Well, Warhammer's NDA is dropping tomorrow it seems.

Open Beta starts Sept. 7 and the d/l is on Filefront, I believe.

Lovely, so all that extra effort allows me to play what? 7-8 days sooner than anyone else? Or 5-6 days before early start begins anyway? Or have they now pushed back the release date to coincide with this?

Veldor -> RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? (8/19/2008 1:28:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

I play casually play Eve Online. I recommend you give Eve a try. There really is no other game like it, at least that I know about.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Finally got around to trying EVE in the last couple of weeks and have just signed on. The game farts on all the elves and pixies stuff from a great height; 'Elite' (with 'thinking' rather than 'twitch' combat, which is cool as I suck at twitching) in a universe with 250,000 or so real people, and a thinking person's game to boot (if you want it to be). I'll be playing for a long while I think [:)]

I was a beta tester for EVE and it was one of my worst beta testing experiences. I suppose its not fair to judge a game based upon beta, but I've only one other time disliked a game I beta-tested. Normally I love them despite any issues.

The issues at the time were that it was a complete grind to get any kind of decent ship... Which was so incredibly easy to get blowed up.. And then you started over again and got your new ship blowed up.. Then grinded some more through endless streches of empty space. I suggested they change the name to "They just done blowed up my ship and now me gots to grind 80hrs more" and promptly deleted the game... [;)]

But I can also see how it stands alone, being outside of the stereotypical MMO sub-genre of fantasy, and therefore probably attracted lots of players still to which they've then spent all those 10s of millions on actually making it better. Bravo if thats the case.

I will also conceed that its possibly, besides WOW, one of the few MMOs that has continually and steadily increased in player base over time rather than decrease.

I think I skipped a couple free trial periods, but if Warhammer doesn't pan out, maybe it'll be worth giving EVE another try.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI