RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

Andy Mac -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/12/2010 5:48:23 PM)

I was being over sensitive ignore me still looking for any feedback either on AI or playtestign I am watching the AAAR's pretty carefully so any feedback welcome

JWE -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/12/2010 5:54:08 PM)

No one is criticising, Grits. Please read the posts. Both T and I said we think Andy's scen is just fine. We are discussing the details NAVMAN's lack of sufficient lift. Which, btw, we got some suggestions for.

So, NAVMAN;
EC2 USATs are slugs. I wouldn’t bother with them – too slow (sorta like the difference between the Mayo Clinic and a Tourniquet). Instead of those, I might think about Haskell APAs. The stock OOB only has 43 Haskells. There was really about 100 of these (give or take). DaBabes has 74. I know it’s a cut-and-paste pita, but you get 30 more Haskells, and that ain’t bad.

Easy stuff:
If it hasn’t already been done, kill the withdraw dates and bring back Aquitania, and the Queens, West Point, Wakefield, Mt Vernon, Hermitage, Monticello.

Bit harder stuff:
Perhaps add 6 more Coolidge/Matson types, representing Ile de France, and a bunch of Dutch ‘Something’dams; and add 6-8 Grace types or maybe half and half Grace and Canada Pacific types, representing the mid-size Atlantic passenger humpers.

That should do the deed. If you do 2 and 3, you probably won’t have to mess with the Haskells, but they might come in handy for the Kyushu assault, so think hard before shining them out.

Ciao. J

btw, we do 'same speed' TFs of Haskells and regular VC2s to hump 'hard load' units, and save the passenger stuff for the 'troop heavy' units. There's some very nice big-fast C3s coming on line that are very good for arty and tank units. And don't forget them 27 Admiral/General C4s. [;)]

Andy Mac -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/12/2010 6:07:36 PM)

I will take a look at those John I didnt want it to be too easy for the allies to ship in and supply such a huge force so some of the lack of shipping was deliberate but if I have went to far adding in some of the big liners could be fun

Andy Mac -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/12/2010 6:10:21 PM)

At presetn I am still trying to figure out what happened to the Aussies

JWE -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/12/2010 7:26:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac
I will take a look at those John I didnt want it to be too easy for the allies to ship in and supply such a huge force so some of the lack of shipping was deliberate but if I have went to far adding in some of the big liners could be fun

That's totally cool, Andy. And I quite agree about arbitrary limitations.

Only thing I might do (was I you) is kill the withdraw dates and bring back Aquitania, and the Queens, West Point, Wakefield, Mt Vernon, Hermitage, Monticello. They are already in the OOB, so won't take much. That should provide an additional 40-50,000 troop lift, and 18-20,000 tons cargo. Not really a whole lot, but enough to take some of the edge off?

Andy Mac -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/12/2010 7:43:41 PM)

Yuh probably I still cannot get the RAAF to appear something weird about this

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/15/2010 11:26:16 PM)

JWE,
Sorry to take so long to get back. Thx for your suggestions re: increased troop sea lift
capacity. I think I'll wait and see what Andy comes up with, but I may
play around w/ the editor using your suggestions. Noted that there were some ships
at Singapore that can be converted.

Thx again.

LowCommand -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/20/2010 1:33:07 AM)

Marianas and Downfall Scenarios Quick Thoughts

Marianas

It might be a good idea to increase the supply on a few islands, Johnson, Laysan and maybe Nauru. Laysan in particular is at zero, zero. The units on these islands do have some supplies. Since most of these garrisons are small, they don’t need much. I just don’t have enough experience to know how desperate the situation at these places is. Running emergency re-supply to various islands probably shouldn’t be part of the scenario. I know my first though when I saw the zero, zero supply at Laysan, was, “They’re all going to die unless they get re-supplied. Oh, yea, and that’ll be bad for my score.”

Downfall has the same problem. After just a few moments of looking things over, I spotted a few out-in-the-boondocks places with little or no supply. Again, the base might have 10 supply and 0 fuel and the unit have 100 supply.

I’m a little frustrated. These seem like wonderful scenarios and I really appreciate the work. I’m retired and should have lots of time to try these out. I might even be able to actually help. Only stuff keeps happening. The Marianas scenario seems like a good place to get back in practice for the complete war. Downfall looks like a wonderful way to play with all the good toys the Allies never had a chance to use.

JeffroK -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/20/2010 4:15:27 AM)

I did a bit of playing with the RAAF

You can re-nationalize them as Enzeds and they work great.

So its not the slots,its not the aircraft, not the base, not the pilots.

I added a new Sqn (93 Sqn with Beaufighter 21) and it still didnt appear.

There doesnt appear to be any "Nationality" setting in the scenario tab.

RAN ships and Australian Army units do appear and work OK.

Andy, you've broken it!!

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/20/2010 10:57:37 PM)

LowCommand,
The way I got past the low supply areas was to move the troops, ships, planes, etc. to
locations where they could be more profitably employed. It took some time, but turned
out for the better.

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/20/2010 10:59:44 PM)

Andy,
Do you plan on working on the issue where ships, notably CVs, CVEs, CVLs, disappear
from ports unless one leaves one of ea. type to form a tf, and then they will appear?

Thx.

LowCommand -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/21/2010 3:28:20 PM)

quote:

The way I got past the low supply areas was to move the troops, ships, planes, etc. to
locations where they could be more profitably employed. It took some time, but turned
out for the better.

NAVMAN

That’s an excellent solution to the problem. It's probably something of a requirement in Downfall. I was just suggesting that it diverts time, attention, and ships from the objective of the scenario.

It does bring up the possibility of a different kind of scenario. One were the objective is some kind of creative, weird, offbeat solution to a WitP problem. It could start as just a tread, “What was your best, non-gamy, trick?”

eloso -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/21/2010 10:48:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I did a bit of playing with the RAAF

You can re-nationalize them as Enzeds and they work great.

So its not the slots,its not the aircraft, not the base, not the pilots.

I added a new Sqn (93 Sqn with Beaufighter 21) and it still didnt appear.

There doesnt appear to be any "Nationality" setting in the scenario tab.

RAN ships and Australian Army units do appear and work OK.

Andy, you've broken it!!

The RAAF units that start the game aboard cruisers seem to show ok too. I'm not sure what an Enzed is but I re-nationalized them and all of the pilot information to point towards the commonwealth nationality.

JeffroK -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/22/2010 12:57:32 AM)

Enzed = NZ = New Zealander or Kiwi.

JeffroK -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/22/2010 10:59:57 PM)

Can others check, the FAA Squadrons tagged as Australian work as designed???

LowCommand -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/23/2010 3:28:46 AM)

More (minor) thoughts on Marianas

LCU Silliness

In the Marianas scenario, Johnston Island has two squadrons assigned but the air support withdraws 3 days into the scenario.

A number of tank Bn fairly useful in the invasion, withdraw three days in also.

Then there are a number of Inactive units that don’t seem to actually exist, that withdraw from Burma Command, the West Coast etc. 3 days in. When they go, nothing unfortunate seems to happen.

The 12th USN Sea Bees are due to withdraw 14 days after they arrive.

AV, AVD etc. Request

I couldn’t find any AV etc. in Marianas scenario. I had thoughts of capturing Rota to setup long-range recon early in the invasion of Saipan - Guam. That would be very nice in the expected carrier fight. Also they would be useful at Ulithi for the invasion of Peleliu. They would also be nice to have at Eniwetok too.

Andy Mac -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/23/2010 11:21:33 PM)

Thanks Guys I am fixing everything I cabn

JeffroK -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/24/2010 1:06:43 PM)

Andy, the FAA Sqn (880 I think) on HMS Khedive is tagged as Australian. It "looks" like it will arrive, I'll let you know when it hits the game.

Andy Mac -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/26/2010 3:55:01 PM)

Interesting thought if I set all RAF/RAAF/RIAF/RCAF/RnZAF aircraft and sqns to CW nationality then I will allow the allies absoulute freedom to assign any CW aircraft to any CW Sqn.

Might do that anyway

Maybe have ALL FAA Sqns set to British that way I get two seperate and limited pilot pools one for FAA and one for CW Land Based Air

JeffroK -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/26/2010 11:56:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Interesting thought if I set all RAF/RAAF/RIAF/RCAF/RnZAF aircraft and sqns to CW nationality then I will allow the allies absoulute freedom to assign any CW aircraft to any CW Sqn.

Might do that anyway

Maybe have ALL FAA Sqns set to British that way I get two seperate and limited pilot pools one for FAA and one for CW Land Based Air

Its a reasonable way of handling things at this time of the war. Many RAF squadrons had a substantial Commonwealth membership, many almost 100% Canadian, Australian or New Zealander and like the FAA they remained under RAF/FAA control.

You can still have RAAF sqns link to , say the RAAF P51D in the database with RAAF markings

michaelm75au -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/27/2010 3:04:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NAVMAN

Andy, Will you be addressing the combat report issue on the next update?

Thx

Exactly what is the "combat report issue"??

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/27/2010 5:40:57 AM)

Hi Michael:
The "combat report issue" was a situation wherein combat reports were not being
generated when an air attack was launched against an enemy ground target in which
no enemy cap was present. I got notice of the attacks taking place, but no results were shown. It also showed up when launching night attacks with B29s on Japan.
So far, with the last two betas, this appears to have been rectified. Some other players
of "Downfall" had made mention of the same situation. Don't know if it has been corrected for them. At any rate, seems ok for me now.

Thx.

michaelm75au -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/27/2010 8:21:15 AM)

Thanks
I think that was a coding issue rather than a scenario one, which was probably corrected by recent patches (4?)

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (6/30/2010 11:56:20 PM)

Hi Andy,
In Downfall, unit# 3978, 509th Bomb Group(B-32) shows as a-bomb capable only.
Since there are no a-bombs, does it make sense to change this unit to a conventional
bombing unit? If so, can you include it in your next version?

Thx.

SoopSandwich -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (7/2/2010 8:12:55 PM)

I am new to WITP but would like to try out these scenarioes. How do I get them into the game. Do I just copy the files into the SCEN folder?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (7/3/2010 9:35:09 PM)

BillyO:
You can just extract them to the scen folder.

SoopSandwich -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (7/4/2010 3:37:36 AM)

Thanks NAVMAN will do!
It kind of makes it difficult to figure out which scenarios files are which....

NAVMAN -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (7/6/2010 2:27:32 AM)

Hi Andy:
Noted in "Downfall" that 7th Arm Div shows its hq as 8th Inf Div. Should the hq
be V US Corps?

Thx.

mariandavid -> RE: No Guards! (7/9/2010 8:29:00 PM)

Very minor point - the 22nd Guards Brigade in Burma should be switched for another unit; the old rule of 'no Guards east of Suez' was still in effect (seems dumb but there was even some excitement and anger in the Household Division when the Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards were sent to Iraq in 41~~!!!!). Can think of another if you want.

Also need to beef up the Malaya garrison with a couple of really good units. If variable would really, really upset the IJA! Ditto for the Phillipines?

mariandavid -> RE: Downfall, Buccaneer and Marianas and Ironman Allied (7/9/2010 9:52:28 PM)

By the way what is the latest version of the three scenarios; panicking slightly but with courage lest I managed to miss an update somewhere in this forum

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI