RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:06:53 PM)

I count 20 races.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:23:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Some races instinctively dislike other races, which is a pretty steep hill to get over if you want to build positive relations with them. As far as if we could add races in an expansion - absolutely, but don't tell the artist that now! [;)]

Cool. Thanks.

Perhaps an expansion, or even better an update, can add some more races like:
-a robotic/android race
-a cyborg race(part machine, part biological)
-a floater, gas giant planet dwelling race
-a feathered avian race

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:23:22 PM)

Ahhh, you're correct Wade. I best get back to school and learn more counting skills.

Shark7 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:29:09 PM)

So now that we see the 20 races...

Question: Will it be possible to ever have more than 20 races in one game, or is the number of races hard-coded? Diversity is a good thing.

Sarissofoi -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:35:44 PM)

Max 20 race.
Max 50 empires - but you can start game with only 20.
Hardcoded.
Plus pirates factions.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:40:54 PM)

That was answered somewhere before.

Currently, in a game of Distant Worlds, you can start with 20(player plus AI) main factions of any multiple duplicates of the 20 races, plus dozens of other factions of non-playable pirates and space faring independent colonies. Also, other main factions can appear in game, via rebellion and independent colonies expanding, but I forget the maximum number of factions that can result.

For example, you can start a game with 20 Human factions.

Sarissofoi -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:44:11 PM)

Pirates are from playable races.
And there are race are space faring. If you start with 20 human empires then you can meet some another races as independent colonies. With time they can grow to full empires.

That I get from information on this forum(and from screenshots and videos). I can be wrong thought.

Hyfrydle -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:45:29 PM)

Hope there's an option to randomise all races at the start of the game. I like not knowing what my race will be. Makes the game challenging if you get something unfamiliar.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:52:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

Pirates are from playable races.
And there are race are space faring. If you start with 20 human empires then you can meet some another races as independent colonies. With time they can grow to full empires.

That I get from information on this forum(and from screenshots and videos). I can be wrong thought.

Thanks. I edited my information post.

Shark7 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 4:59:47 PM)

I was wondering about the mod possibilities. Seems like you will have to replace existing races to add new ones, as opposed to being able to add in addition to.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 5:48:26 PM)

I think the modding part should be set to add more races while keeping in the originals then a new game can choose 20 out of the expanded pool of races.

Gertjan -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 7:17:11 PM)

I wonder if empires that split or parts that defect from one are always of the same type and name or that they differ each game. Any answers? Thanks in advance!

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 7:35:31 PM)

I think I read it somewhere on this forum, I don't remember.
-Will a new faction split consist of the original race, the majority race, or a mixture of the races of a "parent" civilization? A mixture seems better.
-How are the new factions named?

Gertjan -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 7:37:30 PM)

I hope for some random elements, otherwise it could become boring after a couple of games. It would be funny to get an aggressive race defecting from a peaceful race at one point and a peaceful one the other time.

Is it also possible for two empires to merge?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 7:41:03 PM)

There are a lot of random elements and a virtually infinite replayability. You always hear "no two games are the same", that's really true here.

drillerman -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 8:58:25 PM)

While I am not making a judgement, I can't help thinking this game needs a robot type race.

Shark7 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 9:02:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

While I am not making a judgement, I can't help thinking this game needs a robot type race.

Resistance if futile, you will be assimilated... [:D]

drillerman -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 9:15:27 PM)

Yes, yes Shark 7

I'd like a race that is totally alien to everything else, maybe made of anti-matter and uses anything in the universe including other species as fuel for their space ships, food for their young. You know, they might see us as water droplets or something.etc.etc.

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 9:21:49 PM)

A friend tried to break my mind the other day by sending me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaKzQNlMFw

I was thinking about a race that exist in the 4th dimension. I don't know what their characteristics would be like but I think it would be quite an original idea. Possibly quite humorous too!

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 9:29:41 PM)

It seems the only good insect is a dead one in the DW setting.[:)]

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 10:05:40 PM)

Yay. We got this thread stuck to the top of the forum and it's reached over 10,700 hits/views. Credit to the developers, publishers, and mostly the alien race portrait artist for this thread popularity.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 10:16:50 PM)

The Atuuk, Dhayut, Gizurean, Mortalen, and Naxxilian have been consolidated to the top of this thread.
Yay! All 20 races have been made previewable now.

Gargantou -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 10:29:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

I think I read it somewhere on this forum, I don't remember.
-Will a new faction split consist of the original race, the majority race, or a mixture of the races of a "parent" civilization? A mixture seems better.
-How are the new factions named?

IMO the split, seeing as it will be as I've been told, composed off specific planets etc from your empire, it should only contain the specific populations of those planets.

I.e. if the faction that splits gets two planets with 50% humans, 50% slukens, then that empire should get 50% humans and 50% slukens, rather than say 10% slukens and 90% humans which is the empire its splitting off from's total population makeup.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 10:31:52 PM)

Oh yeah...heh. I failed to even think of that. Thanks.

Baleur -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 10:50:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckfang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

lol yeah the Humans and Altarian Resistance in Galciv2 are pretty cheap. Not to mention the Drengin and Korath.

Korath and Drengin are the same race. Humans and Altarians looking similar was mentioned in the backstory, I believe. [:'(]

I know, but its cheap from a game-variety standpoint.

Baleur -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 11:18:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

A friend tried to break my mind the other day by sending me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaKzQNlMFw

I was thinking about a race that exist in the 4th dimension. I don't know what their characteristics would be like but I think it would be quite an original idea. Possibly quite humorous too!

The funny thing is, a 4th dimensional race would be sooooooo hard to design in a game based around 3 dimensional space :P
I mean, we're busy exploring stars and planets, while they explore in another direction too. As in, all the planets and stars and everything else would appear / be different to them.

So how do you play vs them? :P If you blow up their planet you only blow up 1 miniscule 3d slice of their world, and its the same if you blow up one of their ships lol.
It would be like an atom-thick knife slicing through our planet, wouldnt make any difference what so ever. We'd be totally invulnerable to it, as the 4d species would be for us XD

Omg im overanalyzing here but thats what happens with Carl Sagan youtube clips [:D]
I do wish more games had truly fantastical ideas though. The whole humanoid-klingon encounters are a bit old now.
One thing i really loved was in Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, the wierd glowing 4d objects in a few missions. Now THATS what sci-fi is about :D

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 11:30:26 PM)

I'm laughing as I read your post, because those were the things going through my mind too. Just imagine...you destroy a 4D entity's base, you celebrate your victory over the colony, the 4D race counter-attacks and obliterates your empire....but you're not sure how. The intercom buzzes to life and a strange voice says "I didn't go forwards, backwards, left, right, up or down...........I went ACROSS". Then your brain explodes.

I really enjoyed Nexus too, not the sort of game I usually like but it felt like an adventure. In fact I felt a bit like JL Picard, exploring the weirdness of outer space etc. It had quite a Star Trek feel to it.

Shark7 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 11:40:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

It seems the only good insect is a dead one in the DW setting.[:)]

Not much different from real life, eh? [;)]

Gargantou -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/24/2010 11:47:57 PM)

quote:

One thing i really loved was in Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, the wierd glowing 4d objects in a few missions. Now THATS what sci-fi is about :D
Nexus was a great game, and in fact was originally intended to be a 4X game titled "Imperium Galactica 3"!

Shame the sequel to Nexus got cancelled.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I beg to differ, bugs have very important uses in breaking down certian materials and carcasses, as well as pollinating flowers etc.[:'(]

Shark7 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/25/2010 12:02:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou

quote:

Nexus was a great game, and in fact was originally intended to be a 4X game titled "Imperium Galactica 3"!

Shame the sequel to Nexus got cancelled.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I beg to differ, bugs have very important uses in breaking down certian materials and carcasses, as well as pollinating flowers etc.[:'(]

True, but they aren't accomplishing any of that buzzing around the lamp inside my house...in that case, they are just annoying. [;)]

Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI