RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 10:41:17 PM)

Small furry rodent-like race with piercing yellow eyes.

Teekans see no value in washing regularly and thus tend to smell.

They take special interest in hoarding all kinds of mechanical junk, disassembling and repairing items they collect. Teekans have very little technology that is truly original, but they can occasionally progress to the point of being space-faring.

Teekans are born traders, profitably selling their wares far and wide. They are also excellent miners, rapidly exploiting any natural resources they discover.

Despite being fairly insular they are very peaceful and make very loyal allies should you wish to befriend them.

Teekans are semi-nomadic; while some live in permanent settlements, many prefer to live in temporary camps, periodically migrating to new locations.

The nomadic Teekan tribes are obsessed with hunting the Bakdur, also known as the Sand Slug. As the herds of Bakdurs migrate across the sandy deserts, the Teekan camps follow them.

Teekans inhabit the vast desert wastelands of Sandy Desert planets.

Characteristics
Race Family: Rodent
Default Reproduction Rate: 15%
Quite Stupid (-12)
Extremely Passive (-37)
Quite Reckless (-14)
Quite Friendly (+7)
Extremely Dependable (+42)
Industrious Miners: faster mining +40%
Natural Merchants: colony income +20%
Special Government: Mercantile Guild

[image]local://upfiles/9/FD88028393CD4E228F34A2F437E259A9.jpg[/image]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 10:42:22 PM)

Kiadians are shrewd and sensible. They carefully evaluate and plan for potential repercussions from any course of action they undertake. They also make some of the most loyal allies known.

Kiadians are deep thinkers with an absorbing culture of profound subtlety. They love to ponder the abstract complexities of advanced mathematics. They are also a very practical people: they apply their sharp intellect to developing sophisticated technology.

Their advanced technology includes the ShadowGhost ECM 2000, an exceptionally capable countermeasures component. These powerful countermeasures make Kiadian star ships very difficult for enemies to target, allowing them to avoid a lot of enemy weapons fire.

The Kiadian honor code is legendary: they would prefer to die than break their word. Once a Kiadian commits to an agreement they will never break it.

They are also a very proud race, and they revel in undertaking impossible assignments that typically end in honorable defeat. This seemingly irrational approach can sometimes lead to astonishing accomplishments – Kiadians will struggle tenaciously in a situation that others would dismiss as hopeless.

The typical habitats of Kiadians are the mountains and low plains of Continental and Marshy Swamp planets.

Characteristics
Race Family: Humanoid
Default Reproduction Rate: 13%
Very Intelligent (+28)
Slightly Aggressive (0)
Very Cautious (+25)
Slightly Friendly (+5)
Extremely Dependable (+37)
Gifted Scientists: faster research +20%
Master Engineers: ship maintenance -10%
Special Technology: ShadowGhost ECM 2000 (Countermeasures)

[image]local://upfiles/9/98B9E9BE01674548A6703D76907BA0AA.jpg[/image]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 10:44:08 PM)

Easy-going reptilian race with green scaly skin.

Shandar reside exclusively near volcanic steam vents on Volcanic planets. They love heat and warmth, and especially enjoy lounging for hours on end in geothermal hot-pools.

Shandar lifespan is measured in centuries, with some even reaching 1,000 years of age. They are usually quite laid back and unconcerned with worry or planning. Shandar focus on enjoying simple pleasures and living for the moment.

They are particularly adept at using liquid lava in construction, forming it into structures as it cools to rock. Using these techniques they can quickly fabricate tough, durable buildings. Their vast underground spaceyards, built in this manner, are especially famous.

Though they often industriously mine for gemstones, they generally take little interest in the greater galaxy around them. They are usually content to live their centuries-long lives basking in the heat on the shores of lava lakes.

Characteristics
Race Family: Reptilian
Default Reproduction Rate: 16%
Slightly Stupid (-4)
Quite Passive (-16)
Quite Cautious (+16)
Slightly Friendly (+3)
Quite Dependable (+9)
Natural Optimists: happiness +40%
Special Government: Utopian Paradise

[image]local://upfiles/9/A11E74DE67F54FBFBDF4D95FBD938357.jpg[/image]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 10:45:51 PM)

Tall, largely hairless bipedal mammals.

Humans are intelligent, cunning and resourceful and have spread across the galaxy.

They are friendly by nature, but others sometimes view them as scheming and manipulative. Humans value political power and influence above all else. They revel in subtle maneuvering and intrigue as they accumulate greater political control. They have an amazing talent for recognizing opportunities for political advancement.

Their natural abilities make them excellent diplomats. Human negotiating skills are renowned – they can transform nearly any apparently hopeless situation to their advantage.

Humans have a mysterious past, cloaked in ambiguity. It is unclear where they originated from. Some say that they are actually immigrants from another galaxy. Humans themselves claim Sol as their home system.

Their preferred habitats are the lowland plains of Continental or Marshy Swamp planets, though they may sometimes also be found on Sandy Desert planets.

Characteristics
Default Reproduction Rate: 14%
Quite Intelligent (+10)
Quite Aggressive (+10)
Quite Cautious (+10)
Quite Friendly (+10)
Very Dependable (+20)
Cunning Schemers: better spies +15%
Gifted Scientists: faster research +15%

[image]local://upfiles/9/08383F3D837B4DF392BD6C3BD3E3D680.jpg[/image]

Tycow -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 10:52:51 PM)

Holy information overload Batman!

Teekan are looking awesome for me I think! :D

Hyfrydle -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 10:55:30 PM)

Wow this is my first post and I'm really impressed with the art in this game. Heard about it a few weeks ago so I haven't been waiting as long as some but the wait for release is really difficult.

Hopefully not too much longer. I'd like to say well done for trying a new take on an established genre and I will be a day one purchase.

lordxorn -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 11:04:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tycow

Splinter Cell Rodent Style!

lordxorn -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 11:07:42 PM)

Love the Shandar and how they use molten rocks in their building material, shouldn't they also get a Bombardment (now that it is in the game) resistance bonus?

I myself will play first as the Kaidians (Remind me of the Psilons) because I love research bonuses.

elmo3 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 11:07:56 PM)

Those Kaidan look like close relatives of the Talosians.

Tycow -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 11:11:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tycow

Splinter Cell Rodent Style!

Haha! You're totally right. I was wondering what the goggles reminded me of, and it was good old Sam Fisher! :D

lancer -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/22/2010 11:36:45 PM)

Goodaye,

Man that's one evil looking human. A psychopathic Stalin with a makeover.

Lock up your daughters!

Looking good.

Cheers,
Lancer

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 12:18:39 AM)

Haha, the human looks a bit like Jemaine Clement in Tonga Ninja. 

shinobu -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 1:21:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Those Kaidan look like close relatives of the Talosians.

And the Shandar; very Gorn like...

shinobu -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 1:32:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Actually (and this is NOT meant to be critical), I was thinking they look like they're refugees from an old Gerry Anderson series, like Thunderbirds or Fireball XL5...

Baleur -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 3:12:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
[image]local://upfiles/9/4BFAB4C086FF4B75BE86DBC885D230E7.jpg[/image]

No clothes?! [X(][X(]
When even the insectoid species wear space suits, i suspect this species is some form of uber-race, not requiring spacesuits!
Look at their smug faces, no shame with their furry escapades.
First species i will exterminate, just to be safe [:D]

Gertjan -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 10:12:01 AM)

They look terrific!

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 12:05:07 PM)

The Human, Teekan, Shandar, Kiadian, and Ikkuro have been consolidated to the top of this thread.

Superb art.

The Human and Quameno share the same portrait number: "05."

The Kiadian name is mispelled in the portrait(so are Sluken). The Kiadian and Sluken names are in a screenshot here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878. Erik Rutins has stated that the correct spelling is Sluken.

Heh. From using just portrait appearence and some race descriptions, so far we have:
01. Keterov: bear/dog people
05. Quameno: frog/salamander people
05. Human: ape people
07. Ackdarian: seal people
08. Haakonish: octopus/"arthropod"(maybe cephalopod?)/"Reptilian" people
10. Zeenox: cat people
11. Teekan: mice/hamster people
12. Weekarus: crab people (craaaaab people -Southpark reference. heh)
13. Boskara: mantis/spider people
14. Shandar: lizard people
15. Ugnari: rat/mole people
16. Kiadian: ape people
17. Sluken: ant/wasp/biological absorption("incorporate") people
19. Ikkuro: bat people(wingless? their hands could include huge wings, like bats...probably not though. "They typically live in tree-dwellings high in the forest canopies...")

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 12:27:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shinobu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Actually (and this is NOT meant to be critical), I was thinking they look like they're refugees from an old Gerry Anderson series, like Thunderbirds or Fireball XL5...

I agree. The Human looks somewhat like a 'Thunderbirds' character. As a strait man comment, I suppose he can be considered somewhat of a handsome guy. It's just that the the glowing, sleepy eyes look odd. Maybe he could be a very busy guy standing in odd lighting. :) Overall, I say the Human looks well done. Though, I know that many artists have trouble portraying Humans.

I suppose if I look closely enough then the Human could be considered as a mixture of some varieties of Humans, as maybe some game artists do. Also, the Human could just be the look of one certain individual.
Um...some artists like to portray themselves in some Human art. :)

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 1:35:25 PM)

I know some of you have been waiting for this one...

Strikingly attractive, green-skinned humanoid race.

They are friendly and are also very loyal allies.

Securans have a high reproduction rate, and thus their populations can grow quite rapidly.

They excel at performance art, especially singing and dancing. They are also expert musicians and composers.

Securans have a highly developed theater tradition. Their plays are packed with drama and suspense. Securan actors and actresses are in high demand all over the galaxy, filling leading roles in dramatic productions. Large Securan drama companies traverse the galaxy to perform in various locations.

They also take a passionate interest in cooking and eating. Enjoying good food and fine Securan wine is a central part of their culture.

Securans are very hospitable, and they will invariably indulge any off-world visitors in a grand feast that features all of their excellent cuisine.

Securans inhabit the vast open plains of Sandy Desert planets.

Characteristics
Default Reproduction Rate: 23%
Moderately Intelligent (+2)
Very Passive (-27)
Quite Reckless (-9)
Quite Friendly (+10)
Very Dependable (+25)
Natural Optimists: happiness +50%
Special Government: Utopian Paradise

[image]local://upfiles/9/9639084E4C47451BA536AC058008D49F.jpg[/image]

mbar -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 1:40:45 PM)

<Shwing>

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!! hahaha!!

Gargantou -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 3:06:19 PM)

Bats in Space for the win @ Ikkuro

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 3:07:10 PM)

The Securan have been consolidated to the top of this thread.

Sexy. Elves in space. I wonder if they are matriarchal or all the portraits have just been random males, females, and other. Seems better if the portraits have been random gendors.
"Securans have a high reproduction rate, and thus their populations can grow quite rapidly."...heh...cool. Maybe they surpass many other races in enjoyment of certain...activities.

Cool. Another ape(humanoid) people. I notice that several races share the race "Family" characteristic with at least one other race. Maybe this might help them to have at least one alien race friend.
Does the race "Family" characteristic affect race relations in any way?

cdbeck -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 4:38:39 PM)

Well, Mad Russian got his Cats, Dogs, Humans and Bugs... 

Gertjan -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 5:14:03 PM)

Any more races coming up with female pictures?

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 5:17:25 PM)

Heh. Actually, since they are aliens, the Securan race portrait COULD be male, or other gender. eeeeee.
All the other alien race portraits could be random genders also.

Gargantou -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 5:20:17 PM)

I would bet my left kidney that the Securan portrait is intended to be female, given how similar it looks to a human female only with bodypaint.

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 5:37:07 PM)

I know. I am just saying from a hypothetical viewpoint. Yeah, the artist was obviously going for a human-like female.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 8:41:09 PM)

OMG it is an Elerian,and looks just as cheesy.

Duckfang -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 9:01:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

[8|]

cdbeck -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/23/2010 9:53:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I was thinking more the Syreen of Star Control 2 (not SC3... never SC3). I don't see too much of a resemblance to the Elerian, other than the bust and female thing.

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI