RE: Re: (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

seydlitz_slith -> RE: Re: (5/15/2011 12:06:50 PM)

No worries, the few secret memories about Mike's detailed plans that I remember I shall certainly keep to myself. He already has it hard enough fighting you guys.

In general terms, however, the Marshalls are always give away islands expected to be lost. Ponape matters because it allows the allies to bomb Truk and start to interrupt sea traffic in the area, even if it is only with Catalinas. Anything in the Marianas and Bonins really hurt because they break the air bridge that allows him to fly fighters and medium bombers down from Japan. This gets more important as you get into 1943 since the new fighters, both Army and Navy all have much shorter ranges.

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/16/2011 11:25:17 AM)

Well in theory he could still shuttle them down using bases in the Philippines and
NG, but I see it the same way.

Back to the current situation:

Dec 7th ī42:

Good news for the USN today!
While I watched the replay, my GFU felt her doubts about my sanity confirmed when
I had a wide grin on my face, watching a Japanese SAG dismantle USN transports off Marcus
Island.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Marcus Island at 123,85, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
BB Hiei
CA Mikuma
CA Kako
DD Akizuki
DD Kagero
DD Oshio
DD Natsugumo
DD Minegumo
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
xAK West Cape, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK West Ira, Shell hits 23, and is sunk
xAK West Ivis, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
YMS-127, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
YMS-86, Shell hits 18, and is sunk

After the carnage they bombarded the base, causeing a few losses but this did not change the
fate of the last few Japanese defenders who charged into a wall of machine gun fire shouting
BANZAI one final time.

The impressive fleet was spotted by a submarine one day later, retreating to Guam.

What this means is obvious, I now can tick off 3 dangerous BBs, 2 CAs and a couple of destroyers from
the list of potential opposition against Left Hammer. They wont make it in time.

In two more days the fleets will reach their assigned stations and attack Guadalcanal.
I will post a map with more details on operation Left Hammer later today.

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/16/2011 5:22:05 PM)

Drat , page was cancelled in mid post [:@], so im going to do a summary instead [:@].

Bombers hit the RTA divs 1 and 7 in Burma with no Japanese opposition in the air , will continue tomorrow. (2 hexes W of swebo ). Allied are considering an attack along this axis dur to a lack of Japanese bombers in theatre, recon cant find any and java is getting pummelled. Java AAA shot down 9 more Helens today and the AAA guns do get supplies from the other units FYI.

don/Seydelitz , hello again , nice to see you and hope all is well. thanks for dropping by and here is Burma for you :- ,, any questions pls feel free.

[image]local://upfiles/7467/A3581DDC07CA491983472F203A725A6A.jpg[/image]

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/17/2011 6:29:11 AM)

I hate it when this happens. Best tactic would be write on word/wordpad and then copy/paste, but I donīt even do that myself.

Here is the promised battle map, sorry somehow it looks like a 10 year olds painting. I donīt have much software in this
are to speak of and try my best with paint.

I hope it is still decipherable:

[img]http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/266Guadalcanal.png[/img]

You can also see additional features like the sub protection belt NE fo Guadalcanal.
Mike has already sent the turn back, too bad I can only watch it late evening tonight. [sm=duel.gif]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/17/2011 3:33:40 PM)

8th and 9th Dec 1942

Good day for the allies , I'll let LoBaron fill you in on the USA side of the war. Here is the news from the Commonwealth home office.

Liberation !

Horn Island has been retaken by stout Australian troops in record time. Odd how recon here was 2k men while Marcus was only 1k, and there was not much resistance to talk about. 1st wave took the place with ease and day 2 saw the Japanese once again dying in droves on HMG fire.

Ground combat at Horn Island (91,128)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 6350 troops, 14 guns, 89 vehicles, Assault Value = 318

Defending force 716 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8

Allied adjusted assault: 262

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 262 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
744 casualties reported
Squads: 37 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 72 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
2/4th Armoured Regiment
2nd Australian Div /3
1st Medium Rgt /2

Defending units:
83rd Naval Guard Unit

One Peculiarity occurred when the support TF with 2 Base forces and CD guns unloaded on the very NE tip of Australia much to the surprise of Allied high command ! I thought it was best to stand off one hex until the place had been secured before sending in the support troops. Soem over eager commander however mistook Australia's NE tip with Horn island and unloaded . whoops ! It's not even a dot base so how im going to reload the CD guns is a mystery, i suspect they will have a long walk in the outback 1st. Unloading has been cancelled and any remaining men have been ordered to unload on HI rather than try and reload over a coral reef. Rescue efforts will be sent in a few days once the dust settles. Allied a/c have been reset to anti naval ops in case Japan sends in surface interference raids and with 32 torpedo armed Beauforts we have the edge vs CA's should they come calling. The P39's are still LRCAPing HI and last turn bagged a couple of Mavis LR transports.

Oven in Burma a lot of AC were flying but no-one actually met each other as allies continued to hammer the Thai divisions in the open and Japan hit Akyabs airfields killing 2 Hurricanes on the ground as no CAP was ordered (thankfully as a 90 plane Oscar sweep preceded the Bombers). Ledo is now a L9 airfield so stacking restrictions are now a thing of the past , thankfully.

Here is the position in Australia. PM is looking tempting all of a sudden and SWPAC HQ has changed prepping to the new target as I seriously doubt Japan will try and re-invade Horn Island.

[image]local://upfiles/7467/CAFB9893C6E54B1EB25C3A8AE8E10FDD.jpg[/image]

seydlitz_slith -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 2:05:19 AM)

Rob,
You need to have a court of inquiry regarding the landing of the CD unit on the wrong beach. That is seriously hilarious. Maybe you should leave it there to guard the shoal entrance.

Lenny,
Plan looks good. Ontang Java....what does Mike appear to have there? I can't quite say that I have ever seen that captured in a game, but often ships skirt the hexes just north of the place on their way to the Solomons.

witpqs -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 5:21:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Rob,
You need to have a court of inquiry regarding the landing of the CD unit on the wrong beach. That is seriously hilarious. Maybe you should leave it there to guard the shoal entrance.

Now if the unit took replacements and got a device that was static so the whole unit could no longer be moved, that would be really funny! [:D]

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 6:47:36 AM)

Good question Don, I will be able to tell you more next turn as - wanting to know the same -
I sent recon aircraft there. It is a good base to cover the routes from Truk to Guadalcanal,
my sub belt has not spotted any ASW activity to speak of originating from there.

Anyways, here is the situation on 9th Dec ī42:

[img]http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/182day2.jpg[/img]

The only ship loss on D-days was DM Breese, running the sub belt south of Guadalcanal on the
way back to Noumea after helping to mine The Slot.

ASW attack near Rennell Island at 114,140

Japanese Ships
SS I-176

Allied Ships
DM Breese, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DM Montgomery

Well, theres a German saying: 'Wo gehobelt wird, fallen Späne', I think 'From chipping come chips.'
has exactly the same meaning though I like the way its worded in German slightly better.

No air action to speak of until now, but I expected that more or less since Mike did
not spot the invasion until Dec 8th, too late to react.
I am expecting first resistance over the next 2 days, so my air cover increased flights.
The crews are still fresh as I used minimum LRCAP for the initial landings.
Setup is same as before: High cover over Tassa, Lunga and Munda from Ndeni P38s and low
CAP from carrier AC.

As you can see on the map I will pull back into the triangle of the landings, the amphibs have
unloaded all troops and the rest of the supplies will be dumped at Lunga.
North of Lunga only the minesweepser and SAGs remain.

The return trip will be tough for sure, I bet I will dodge subs all the way down when
looking at all the sightings. For that reason the DMs on return from their mission changed
to ASW to cover the CVs which havent been spotted up to now.

Next turn will be critical as the first window of opportunity to counter my attack. If nothing
sensational happens though, Guadalcanal will be mine by tomorrow evening.

As small comment at the end: I was really surprised to find all of Guadalcanal deserted.
Not a single Japanese has been spotted. Strange. Is this a part of Mikes defensive plan?
If yes I donīt understand it as I will have airbases up in less than a months and can start
to attrit his southern defensive belt. Up to now by a cheap fast move nearly without a loss.

Mike often comments on the cost of him retweaking industry because he and Don had different
philosophies on how to handle it and he says that robbed him of a few options.
I wonder if securing the Solomons was one of em.

witpqs -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 7:17:04 AM)

LoBaron,

If you are not liking your AAR tools (I think you mentioned that), here is what I use:

Greenshot for screen capture, free & open source and very easy.
http://greenshot.org/

Paint.net for editing the screen captures, free but not open source. Very easy & quick for the kind of edits people do for AARs (much faster to use than regular Paint). Not as powerful as GIMP and those big full-featured programs, but surprisingly powerful for the easy stuff.
http://www.getpaint.net/

Emacs as a text editor, free & open source. Great for programming, I also use it for typing my AAR entries then just cut & paste. You can get a spell checker added in also.
http://www.emacswiki.org/

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 7:19:28 AM)

Thanks! [:)]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 3:21:35 PM)

If some bright spark of an engineer manages to cobble together a concrete emplacement for a 15" CD gun there won't be any court martials , just summary executions [;)]

There really is no defence for me in this daft action , BUT I'm going to try anyway

1) the hex looked like sea
2) not a dot base and we have house rules that state we cannot land on non dot hexes , the computer should know this !
3) TF should have had 'do not unload' ticked , this I will admit to (grudgingly).
4) It looked like SEA !!! ..

Thank you , <salutes the judge in the black cap and marches out to the firing squad >

SoliInvictus202 -> RE: Re: (5/18/2011 3:25:08 PM)

actually from my experience there is no issue with reloading them onto the ships right away - I had the same thing happen to me somewhere on Celebes.. - and after the first landing, which also happened because IT LOOKED LIKE SEA, I simply decided to reload the stuff, in my case a Naval Guard and a Base Force, and was done 2 or 3 turns laters.... -took ages of course but the walk to Makassar would have been even longer [;)]

just my 2cts

seydlitz_slith -> RE: Re: (5/19/2011 3:48:01 AM)

Well, I have no idea what Mike may have done/not done with Japan's industry, but I doubt that it has anything to do with Guadalcanal being undefended.

I personally may put troops there and at Tulagi, but normally build my bases up around Shortland and Bougainville. Building at Lunga just creates an airbase for the allies to use and putting more troops on the island just provides more targets for the enemy's 4E bombers. My guess is that you are still outside of his planned defensive perimeter. If he is doing it right and instead building his inner perimeter up first, then he will be tough to dig out when you reach it.

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/19/2011 5:29:45 AM)

Don you are right with your asessment of what Lunga represents.

I disagree with the conclusions though.
True, if you send Japanese troops and planes to Lunga the consequences usually are target practice for heavies
and a built up AF for the Allies (not neccesarily though if you keep it as a fighter base only and have some bomber at Munda for support).
But this applies to about every base further up or down the Solomons, the Santa Cruz Islands or the New Hebrides.
There will always be such an option at the outermost bases of the Japanese defensive perimeter except if you capture Noumea.

The disadvantage of letting me capture Lunga and the surrounding bases is I get those lvl5 natural/lvl 8 expanded AFs (I chose Lunga and Rennell Island)
to attack Rabaul, and this cannot be good to hand over without the delay of a fight. I got so many engineer troops in the area that I am able to get from lvl0 to
lvl4-5 in probably less than 2 months.

If I was playing Japan I would dislike having my defensive perimeter so close to Rabaul.
Mike could have an inner defensive perimeter with the Admiralties and Hollandia, so Rabaul is probably less important to him than historical, but still.

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/19/2011 11:23:23 AM)

The Australian SNAFU is not nearly as bad as it could be fortunately. for some odd reason only one of the BF unloaded and then only about 20% of it, the rest are now happily ensconced on horn island.

The main transports and SC units are on withdraw orders from Horn island today and sail back to townsville under sporadic fighter cover. Some remaining transports are covered by a few spits from Portland roads.

with Horn island in allied hands (and the 2nd Australian is now equipped with 42 squads instead of militia (when they upgraded I have no idea as they shipped with militia ! , magic ships no doubt [;)]). This now opens up Merauke and Terapo IN New Guinea as potential work arounds should PM prove too tough for the Australians.

Plenty of sub action from Japan today , with several American YP's being sunk around the Solomons and off the west coast of America. Still no sign of KB.

TTFN

[image]local://upfiles/7467/D99B8C15D69F43EB826DF75803561239.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: Re: (5/19/2011 12:57:44 PM)

It's been a long time since I saw a TF unload on me without orders, but back in WITP it happened enough that when they stopped "1 hex short" the turn before I always made sure it was an all-sea hex where they couldn't unload.

Regarding the squads upgrading en route, the troops boarded their ships to each find a large box from MOD marked "Merry Christmas! (a bit early)" which contained their new personal equipment! [:D]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/19/2011 7:58:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It's been a long time since I saw a TF unload on me without orders, but back in WITP it happened enough that when they stopped "1 hex short" the turn before I always made sure it was an all-sea hex where they couldn't unload.

Regarding the squads upgrading en route, the troops boarded their ships to each find a large box from MOD marked "Merry Christmas! (a bit early)" which contained their new personal equipment! [:D]

5) I thought it WAS SEA !!!! [:D][:D]

The upgrade was indeed welcome but I'll have to keep an eye out for the 43 squads as a lot of Base forces gobbled up the 42's early and numbers diminish in 43/44 , hopefully by then the Americans will have some spare foot sloggers I can borrow [;)]

the C47 autopilot crash settings are starting to annoy me a bit now .. is this recognised as a bug ? as i cant believe its WAD given how few other types crash with almost identical pilots. lost 3 in 2 days flying from Ledo (AF 10) to myth 3 hexes away and AF 5 , not even going over the hump .. grrr .. c'est la vie I guess . or more accurately c'est la guerre.

I'm wittering today as we have a small game delay due to RL sticking its unwanted thieving nose in recently.

TTFN

tiger111 -> RE: Re: (5/20/2011 1:11:25 AM)

Hi Rob   `tis me.

What`s WAD?  You`re both doing stirling work here,keep it up.

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/20/2011 7:32:43 AM)

WAD is "Working As Designed"

Rob can it be related to mission frequency? You are flying a lot of transports up there.
When I shuttle troops around in the south pac I usually do this with squads on 40%-50% rest
and my TCS did not have a single op loss for weeks now.

The few transports I lost were from shuttle flights.

Ok back to Left Hammer:

Dec 10 - 11, 42:

Horray!
Lunga, Tulagi, Tassafaronga and Rennell Island are secured, all troops have
unloaded safely with the exception of Rennell Isl.
This was always something I found slightly annoying. Unloading from amphibs is
easier and you can unload larger devices when the base concerned is in enemy hands.
I can beach a tank at Lunga if want to, but its not possible to unload 150mm arty on
a base that already belongs to me like Rennell before I build a lvl2 port.

Slightly unrealistic no? [:'(]

Mikes reaction to the invasion consisted of sending about every sub in the area
to Guadalcanal and stacking Shortlands with aircraft.

Subs:

The battles up do now were inconclusive.
We traded 2 YMS for heavy damage to two submarines (a RO and an I-boat)
I assumed that the RO is a kill but according to Mike only I-18 received dmg
and will survive. FOW, who knows.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 10, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Tassafaronga at 113,137

Japanese Ships
SS I-18, hits 15, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Meredith
BB Pennsylvania
CA Minneapolis
CL Concord
CL Leander
DD Meade
DD Balch
DD Downes

ASW attack near Tassafaronga at 113,137

Japanese Ships
SS RO-67, hits 5, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Meredith
CA Minneapolis
CL Concord
CL Leander
DD Balch
DD Downes
DD Meade

Sub attack near Tassafaronga at 113,137

Japanese Ships
SS RO-67

Allied Ships
YMS-119, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
YMS-95

Sub attack near Lunga at 114,138

Japanese Ships
SS I-28

Allied Ships
YMS-117, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
YMS-116

Aircraft:

I am more afraid of this developement. Shortland now hosts about 160
aircraft according to recon.

Conclusion:

Time to get the hell out. No way I will expose the CVTFs, SAGs and the Amphibs
to a concerted attack from Nasty Netty and KB before the airfields at Guadalcanal
are ready.

The ships are ordered south, unloading has been suspended. Lunga has already 20k+ supplies,
the only suboptimal supply situation is on Tulagi but I do not need to adress this immediately.
Due to the lack of information about KB whereabouts I will not try to avoid the IJN sub
belt but run straight to safety. He got torps, I got DCs, we will se who hits most.

The next tasks will be:

- build up defenses and airfields
- shuttle in AAA and support troops and additional supplies
- establish an ASW zone if possible (depends on air opposition naturally)
- use every chance to attrit IJA/IJN forces in the area

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/20/2011 9:34:40 AM)

Don, concerning Ontang java, the place is more crowded than I anticipated.

After the bases at Guadalcanal have been established I will begin a major effort
recon on the Japanese defensive perimeter. OJ seems to be an integral part of it
which is a wise thing to do, he has quite some mutually supporting bases here.

Will be a tough nut to crack. [;)]

[img]http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/114Jima.jpg[/img]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/20/2011 1:28:51 PM)

quote:

Rob can it be related to mission frequency? You are flying a lot of transports up there.
When I shuttle troops around in the south pac I usually do this with squads on 40%-50% rest
and my TCS did not have a single op loss for weeks now.

Maybe , I had a similar thought last turn too and put my transports on 30% training to help the recruits a lot faster and try and alleviate ops losses from incompetent pilots[;)]. I have kept an eagle eye out for fatigue and always stand down any units with 15 or more fatigue. Given the short range of the Burma hops this almost never happens though and even 4 days of china trips = fatigue from 5-12 so I doubt fatigue is the problem. Given the large number of bombers with v bad pilot skills on transport ( why this is a separate skill [&:] as anyone good enough for combat operations should be able to pilot a fully loaded a/c regardless of 'skill' level, (minor grumble). and no noticeable bomber losses for the past
weeks they have been operating at 100% non-stop.

anyhoo , enough moaning [;)]

Plans for next turn:-

Japan's been keeping up its sweeps over Akyab and tomorrow we hope to welcome the Oscars with multiple hurricanes / P40 + P38 greeters. The B17's will go for the Thai units still in the open while we build up a small force in Shwebo to go and pay them a visit.

One noticeable event was in china where the first Oscar II's were sighted , why these are in china and not in Burma I cannot guess. But I strongly suspect that we will be seeing these a/c types very soon. Brits have to wait till 9/43 for newer a/c so i have a horrible feeling that we might become seriously outclassed in 43, at least the threat to India is now over.

Hi Augustus ,, LoBaron answered your question and nice to see you here again , thanks for posting.

EDIT :- .. The heavily damaged BB's from Darwin are heading to Cape town from broome (where they escaped to) with decent DD escorts they might make it even with the heavy sys damage. fingers crossed.

seydlitz_slith -> RE: Re: (5/21/2011 4:19:47 AM)

Lenny,
Mike's reaction looks very simple to what mine would have been. Send in the subs and move the aircraft down to Shortlands.
From the Japanese perspective, he can build several closely spaced mutually supporting bases in the Bougainville area that interlocks with the Rabaul/Kavieng/ Truk defense line. Looking at the Ontang Java recon report, I would bet that he has a 24AV base force and some construction units there. Possibly with plans to start as a seaplane base with later upgrade to landbased aircraft when the airfield is ready.

Think about it.....most players wouldn't even give the dot a second thought. If you hadn't reconned it, he could have built up a secret base that would have been unexpected.

If he has built up interlocking airfields in the islands, then you might see the KB show up. Less chances to lose the pilots if you are fighting over friendly airbases and there are friendly subs in the sea hexes.

Kudos to both sides here.

Sounds like you need to recon carefully. Leave no dot uncovered.

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/21/2011 7:24:14 AM)

Youre right, thanks. And true its funny how you can hide your presence on a original dot base without
the opponent noticing anything even if its right under your nose. If you keep low profile there you could remain
undetected for ages.
I did something similar at Tabiteuea and Vavau. Took Mike some time to find out that Vavau is in truth
the main base for the south pac, in fact I am not sure yet he really knows.

10k troops, on first recon flight, I would not bet on that count yet.
I will take my time to track the numbers down, and from experience a solid count of 10k means something in the
30k league. So he may have a strong combat formation there too.
Bombardements will be neccesary to find out details.

I will recon every dot. I got the assets and enough time.

14, 15th Dec 42:

The only news worth mentioning is:

Lunga, 3 days after landing, is now a lvl 1 AF going for 2 in huge steps. I will not use it yet because Mike has too many options.
To make the area active and compete with Japanese naval and air units we must be able to protect (at least) Lunga against a 3
dimensional threat: air, sea, sub.
Basing a couple of Wildcats there will not help the cause unless Mike is unable to bombard the base with ships.

The situation will improve significantly when the first reinforcement convoy arrives (a must to deliver 2nd line troops, AAA and
maybe CD guns, lets see what I can scrape together in time) and Tulagi and Tassafaronga have their airbases ready as well.

Still, 3 days after landing, replicate that IJA. [;)]

Another interesting occurance did not happen in US but in Australian territory:

Night Naval bombardment of Port Hedland at 57,129

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CL Kiso
CL Abukuma
CL Jintsu
CL Naka
CL Sendai

Port hits 8
Port supply hits 2

Wow, looks like Mike forgot to add some light cruisers to the TF.

I dont have a clear pic of the numbers but this looks like the majority of active CLs in a single TF.
(You may remember 4-5 were sunk in the initial days after pearl)
Got subs in the area, Rob? [;)]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/21/2011 5:44:51 PM)

The Australian Bombardment came as a complete surprise ! the place is utterly empty and I suspect its because of the resource centres there , which I don't need anyway.

Rather worryingly the BB escort group and an amphibious AP group were sailing past during the same night ! The AP's are carrying a BF to exmouth for a new search plane base , in an attempt to spot damn jap subs transiting to/from Perth. The BB's are heading back to CT with 4 DD ASW group which will detach to Perth in a turn or 2.

The Australian response has been to move in some PBY's and low level Hudson attack planes to broome. also a dutch sub had just finishing minor repairs and it will patrol the area for now.

[image]local://upfiles/7467/47DF11B6CF72439FBC5CE0D4CF52C836.jpg[/image]

The proposed Burma ambush didn't materialise and B17 raids were met by nicks, Oscar II's and Tojos , the raids did not go well esp the lightning escorts. win some lose some .

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/23/2011 7:26:55 PM)

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 16, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK here we go after a small break .

Allied (Dutch) subs made 2 attacks off of Borneo today , one in the NW the other to the SW , both encountered convoys but only one scored hits, the other missed the PB it shot instead of a juicy AK.

Sub attack near Serasan at 56,85

Japanese Ships
xAK Hokuan Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Tazima Maru
xAK Mito Maru
xAK Keisho Maru
xAK Yamagiri Maru
xAK Tatuharu Maru
xAK Tokai Maru
PB Kosin Maru #3

Allied Ships
SS KIX

Due to Japan good placement of mines between Java and Sumatra , getting short legged subs near the N or Borneo had been on hold because the auto router sent any patrol subs back through the minefield on the way home. I sent one up from Broome (this one) as a test. Additionally 2 US boats will mine palembang today coming from Colombo , going past Singapore is a bit scary but they made it. Really just to annoy Japan if we get a lucky tanker hit.

Tomorrow allied sweeps over the Thai army in Burma , fingers crossed.

also in the News , Mandalay is upto 8k supply (still in the orange) but far better than it has been for months. I think the combination of bombers on supply runs / expanding bases and more transport planes have helped hugely.

as an aside about the C47 constant crashing issue despite low fatigue. LoBaron suggested putting them on 30% rest and see what happens. Well i put them on 30% train for the same effect and lo and behold no losses today ! this is ofc only one turn but might hold a key to preserving these fragile units. More to come on this.

[image]local://upfiles/7467/189F266E256840CD91C25B914F855D02.jpg[/image]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/26/2011 5:50:38 PM)

The game rolls on !

Allied sweeps over Burma are a great success unless your Canadian, The canuks went in 1st as 16 plane sqds and got hit hard by the higher flying enemy on both days, Followed by the P38E's who utterly cleaned the clock on the Japanese, next in were the 40's who at 15k alt still killed off any remaining Tojos quite efficiently. Where is the RAF ? they all secretly decided to fly in the afternoon so encountered re-set CAP but still hammered it with one SQdn going in one after the other and mopping up stragglers/late arrivals. Given this happened on both days there is conclusive proof that the game has a huge British bias and the designers want the colonials and Americans to die to preserve the master race [;)]

Enough silly conspiracy theories.

C47 losses of 2 as a daily result in the ongoing transports test.

S39 and S36 laid mines at Palembang but were spotted on the way out by a Japanese patrol boat, all inconclusive and they made it back past Singapore easily enough.

Mandalay dropped to 4k supply for no apparent reason. Still monitoring here.

Also we have started a ground op in Burma aimed at the 2 Thai divs east of Shwebo, hopefully we'll have plenty to drive over the river and rout these pests , this will draw in jap bombers like flies to honey but at least they wont be elsewhere and today's air action means Japan wont be happy using small escorts. As its a nice clear moonlit night tonight we are going to hammer Magwe fields with every bomb carrying a/c in theatre , I even put some P38's on night sweeps over the base to disrupt any Japanese CAP , meanwhile the allied bomber bases have solid night fighter cover as well as daylight with the hurricanes repositioned. The night sweep will be interesting as i cant say I have any idea what will happen with this order ??

TTFN

[image]local://upfiles/7467/6B2D269A272C485BA24B60D26C4B1D1A.jpg[/image]

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/26/2011 9:05:55 PM)

A perfect display of how a sweep should be fought. [&o]
Grat job, your Burma air war is so interesting to watch and Mike is a very skilled opponent.

Dec 20th 42:

USN decided to take a risk today. A convoy was sighted resupplying Ontang java, 10 ships alltogether but the sightings suggest
a high ammount of combat vessels. As I said I will take any chance to attrit the IJN, and this is a chance.

The CVs are south guarding a major resupply of Ndeni. They will try to jump the convoy.

Best case: sink some CAs
Medium case: Hit empty air or trade even punches with KB
Worst case: Scrach some flattops.

I know its early to run into traps, but I feel the chances are higher than 50% that this aint a trap, and if it is
the move is supported by fighter sweeps over OJ and Munda and an additional VMF covering the battleship groups
running forward cover for the CarDivs.

2 squads of Avengers have also been replaced by marine fighters, so while I wont be able to compete 1:1 against
full grown KB plus Netties (the absolute worst case) I will dish some damage back and have enough vessels to disperse potential
damage.

Understandably I look forward to next turn with a bit of anticipation.
[sm=duel.gif]

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/27/2011 9:41:53 AM)

Dec 22, 42:

The battle of Ontang Java

No combat materialised until afternoon Dec 20th, but then
the fireworks began.
After a small strike from Ndeni B24s which did not deal any damage
the carrier strike arrived, putting bombs on the decks of the major
surface combat vessels protecting the Japanese transports.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ontong Java at 115,131

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 12
F4F-4 Wildcat x 30
SBD-3 Dauntless x 97

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 2 destroyed, 10 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Musashi, Bomb hits 6, on fire
BB Mutsu, Bomb hits 5, on fire
CA Haguro
BB Fuso
DD Teruzuki, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Naganami
CA Myoko, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Makigumo
DD Makinami
DD Yukikaze

The appearance of mighty BB Musashi came as a surprise, considering the Thunderstorms
15% hit percentage was satisfying.
Clearly none of the hits on the two battleships dealt much damage but Myoko was
hit hard and separated from the combat group.

No air cover to be seen, where is KB?

After sunset the combat group around BB Indiana encountered the separated
cripples and finished the job. Myoko is sunk, one dangerous IJN CA less.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ontong Java at 113,131, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko, Shell hits 4, heavy damage
DD Teruzuki, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hamakaze

Allied Ships
BB Indiana
CA Indianapolis
CA Louisville
CL Perth
CL Helena, Shell hits 1
DD Frazier
DD Gansevoort
DD McCall
DD Sterett
DD Cummings
DD Selfridge, Shell hits 2

The battlegroups lost contact after the initial engagement but engaged a
second time in the morning hours.

Dec 21st brought more death to sailors with Indiana group intercepting the
Japanese battlewagons. It was an uneven duel against the Japanese behemoth
Musashi but the USN faught a valiant battle.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Ontong Java at 115,131, Range 26,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu, Shell hits 2
BB Musashi, Shell hits 1
BB Fuso, Shell hits 5
CA Haguro, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Nachi, Shell hits 8, on fire
DD Makigumo, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Makinami, Shell hits 1
DD Naganami
DD Yukikaze

Allied Ships
BB Indiana, Shell hits 20, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Indianapolis
CA Louisville, Shell hits 5, on fire
CL Perth, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Helena, Shell hits 4
DD Frazier, Shell hits 1
DD McCall, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Sterett
DD Selfridge, Shell hits 1

Brave Indiana came under fire from all 3 enemy battleships and disapeared
behind a wall of water as near misses turned the sea into steam.
Perthcought a 40inch monster amidships, nearly breaking the small CL in half.

On the other side Haguro was last seen retreating north with a slight list belching
thick plumes of smoke.

Then came the Betties, attacking in small groups of 3-8 planes, obviousely hindered
by the weather. Still the number of raids had to cost the USN.

CA Louisville, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Gansevoort, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Indiana was also attacked unsuccessfully but succumbed to her wounds at dusk.

The counterattack by the carriers again found the battleships, several 1000lbs hits were
scored on Mutsu, Fuso and Musashi and last xAP Naminoue Maru and xAP Hie Maru
were found and attacked, receiving 1 and 2 hits.

Losses were the following:

USN: 1BB, 2 CA (1 already sunk, 1 will sink tonight), 1CL, 2DD, minor damage to other vessels.

IJN: 1CA, 2-3DD (conservative estimate, several hits on DDs by Dauntlessī on search missions were reported)
3 IJN BB are searching for their upperworks and minor/medium damage to several other combatants.
In addition I might be able to add 2 APs to the list.

This battle aint over yet. The next 2 days will decide who won Ontang Java as I still
have some cards up the sleeve. [;)]
I have to say that considering the odds I am already pleased with the result, even if
total loss numbers clearly show a IJN tactical victory atm.

But the carriers are out of the game and will retreat south. Staying power is yet not the
strenght of the USN air arm, and KB could be round the corner any time.

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Re: (5/27/2011 8:05:36 PM)

From the backwoods of Burma now

Night bombing was all a bit underwhelming for 4 days , some light damage to Magwe and a few destroyed Japanese fighters. Japan's CAP of A6M3's is a far better choice than the unarmoured earlier variants and even though only one A29 was downed the accuracy was abysmal. Called off for now.

Mandalay upto 9k supply and 2 and 3 C47 lost in the last 2 turns respectively.

china however is mobile (ish) once again . I really should have tried harder to annotate this map but frustration and time got the better of me [;)]. Japan shifting troops from right to left as china has now advance forward in a probe along the road on the west most block. Also a small raid appears to be coming up the middle , we should have this covered easily.

Bombardments ordered on the left flank as a probe to see whats there. i can if pushed add in another 2k AV anywhere along the front to try and make a decent hole , just need to find a worth while weak spot first.

[image]local://upfiles/7467/1ACD0E46BDAD4395B061A91362F49A5A.jpg[/image]

almost forgot ,, Java ..

The end is most definitely nigh :-

Ground combat at Madioen (54,104)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 60345 troops, 709 guns, 181 vehicles, Assault Value = 2094

Defending force 32581 troops, 386 guns, 174 vehicles, Assault Value = 825

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 889

Allied adjusted defense: 3901

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 4 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4777 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 206 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 216 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 32 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1709 casualties reported
Squads: 27 destroyed, 123 disabled
Non Combat: 47 destroyed, 109 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Vehicles lost 54 (33 destroyed, 21 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

If we can hold on till start 43 I will be overjoyed about this delaying move back in June.

LoBaron -> RE: Re: (5/28/2011 9:57:38 AM)

Thanks again for suggesting Paint.NET, perfect program for drawing battle plans. [&o]

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI