RE: Calculating Squads replacement rates (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

USXpat -> RE: Calculating Squads replacement rates (7/5/2012 3:04:38 PM)

Hey Fabio, how's it going? My brain buckled trying to get historically accurate replacement rates as most scenarios deviate from history - some play more aggressive, others less aggressive. It depends, in part, on how you view replacements. On one hand they could be new recruits only. On the other, and on this scale, they could be a composite of recruits, return of long-term injured, unit reorganizations and streamlining of teeth to tail ratios - sending clerks off to be riflemen, etc.

There are a lot of variables in this scenario, too, and it builds in the German mobilization system. Axis receive 4 incremental replacement boosts totaling up to +52% of base in 10 - 15% increments; Allies can also reduce Axis replacement rates via 9 EEV events for up to 140% of base in 5 to 35% increments. Most of that is not likely to be seen until 1944-1945.

I went the simple route, starting with 1% of total and rounding to the nearest regiment, battalion or company by squad type. That proved way too much. Present version has it at .65% which is a lot closer, but still too much. Next version drops it to about .5% - and may or may not consolidate the types of rifle squads.

While an argument could easily be made that there's no way that the Axis could generate as many actual rifle squads as "could happen in a best case scenario". But, it could conceivably increase the amount of firepower per man/squad.

Hopefully this helps some or at least explain what I'm looking at or trying to...

USXpat -> RE: Calculating Squads replacement rates (7/9/2012 1:05:12 AM)

Coming up with an issue. I have the completed scenario, everything is done. Another player has done some work on the map, but saved it as a new scenario (without OOB/events, etc.) - just a blank map. I saved the new map as an .mal file. Then when importing it into the existing scenario, it resets all of the units as needing to be deployed. Both maps are 299 x 299.

Am I doing something wrong? Need to do something else with the map file? or, is that just the way things are?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

governato -> RE: Calculating Squads replacement rates (7/9/2012 1:56:41 AM)

Mark, can you save events and OOB as XML files and load them into a 'new' scenario with the new map? I am not sure if you need to redeploy every unit though. That 'd be a bummer.

I have been working hard on 'East Front II'! I will start posting about various design choices soon. The first step was to make the
OOB and replacement rates as historical as possible. Given that replacements are mostly done through 'disband' events there will be options to make the production and the OOB more flexible, especially for the Soviet Union as the campaign proceeds, as getting extra arty tubes vs tanks, or having more armies than historical, at a cost in supply rates...
It should be fun. I will surely have design questions for you!

USXpat -> RE: Calculating Squads replacement rates (7/9/2012 2:11:16 AM)

Whoa - cool, that appears to have worked perfectly, thank you, thank you, thank you! Deployment are retained. New map is implemented. Events are intact. The Global Financial Crisis has ended. Well...

USXpat -> RE: Calculating Squads replacement rates (8/9/2012 1:13:45 PM)

Just a quick update that a new version of the Third Reich 1942 - 1945 (1.8) will (barring natural disasters) be available on Monday at the latest. Lots of changes have been implemented, here's a quick overview:

* Axis squad-based, some heavy weapons and some aircraft-based replacement rates reduced again, some Wehrkreis increased.
* Allied squad-based replacement rates (mostly Soviet) increased dramatically with additional supplemental disbands.
* Strategic Warfare and EEV system substantially overhauled; same effects but based upon a scale of 950 vs 100. Now allows for +1 to EEV per industry attacked per turn with an Axis absorption rate of -2 EEV per turn through Spring of 1944; then -3 EEV 44-45. Works to encourage a more systematic and sustained bombing campaign that can push the EEV and detrimental Axis effects higher than before. The greatest deterioration will still come through capturing the Ruhr Valley and Ploesti. Surrender of Axis minor allies now contributes to increasing EEV.
* Italian and Romanian surrender routines improved (less predictable results).
* Italian 2nd, 9th and 11th Armies (Balkans/Greece) and Regia Marina are now "unreliable" (chance to go static each turn)
* PLA units in the Balkans are now all (G)uerrillas. This area should now be a TRUE nightmare for the Axis.
* Thanks to Mike Goldsberry - a comprehensive review of US/UK forces by brigade/squadron - should now reflect the full glory of Western Air Power and adds a few ground units. Special Operations components increased to include "airborne deception divisions", more commandos, and an overall tighter TO&E structure.
* Soviet OOB adjusted to remove the AT Brigade "composites" - shifted support assets to the Army level rocket units, shifted AT and Assault Guns over to the Tank Brigades -- should apply to less "automatic overruns" and make the tank brigades more viable in the end game.
* A number of assault gun and anti-tank brigades added to the Axis OOB (missed previously).
* More formations start in a fixed status with TO disbands that can be used to activate them early at a significant VP cost.
* Mike expanded the map to include most of Iraq - past Basra and down to Kuwait City.
* Some super rivers reduced. Winter weather should allow more freezing to take place.
* Implemented 6 Axis TO's - can only select 1 on Turn 1:
A) Historical - +2 Axis Supply (original rate decreased by 2)
B) a slightly embellished Plan Kathleen -- Brandenberg's link up with the IRA in Ireland.
C) early Case Anton -- early disbanding of Vichy Forces in return for 1 Franco-German Corps and unfettered access to Vichy territories.
D) Herkules -- probably the strongest TO, gives the Axis a foothold on Malta - control of the island is not guaranteed. With new exclusion zones, Malta becomes a very prominent element of the Mediterranean (at least until Allies approach Tunis).
E) Arab Uprising -- maybe the most controversial element in which the main danger is Contagion.
F) Maus Battalion -- for those who love "special units" -- trades 15 turns of 3% replacements for a total of 18 Super Heavy Maus Tanks which will only drop into 653 Hvy AT Bn.
* Potential for Turkey to activate as Pro-Axis if Grozny or Sokhumi are taken by Axis.

Doing some minor tweaking and playtesting, just fixed the last of the known broken events.

Core issues with 1.5 are Axis replacement rates being too high, super-rivers play too significant of a role, the Strategic Bombing campaign is too reliant upon progress on the ground to have a truly significant impact, and some events are too predictable - and can be gamed by both sides.

The Herkules/Malta TO is included and may seem overpowered favoring the Axis, however this is the ONLY TO that will become "immediately known" to the Allied Player, applying to greater security in activating the English Home Forces and/or drawing upon English garrison forces in the Middle East. It also carries very substantial risk to 3x Italian Naval Task Forces which become "unreliable" (chance to go static each turn) starting on Turn 6.

The Ireland and Arab Uprising "cards" if played make for kind of mini-game unto themselves. If the IRA "somehow" manages to take Belfast - the entire GHQ Home Forces is withdrawn from play to quell a "general uprising" (which could well re-ignite problems in the Middle East, too). The Arab Uprising... however, should be 'pure fun' -- giving the Axis player a chance to play the same kind of campaign that the Allies get in the Balkans - but across "wide open spaces".

Overall - my intention is for there to be a greater degree of uncertainty and higher levels of risk for both players.

I'll post again once it is ready for download. Initially the scenario instructions will likely be only available on the web site with a simplified "need to know" text file. The full scenario guide and updated charts will take me a couple more weeks.

Finally... unless there are major snafus (which I hope won't be the case) this is likely to be the last update for the scenario. Mike Goldsberry might take over from here, but we'll also be starting (renewing) work on another project. In any case there are very few events still open, no more units available to the Allies, no more formations available to the Axis, and I'm really not sure a PO is going to be worth the effort.

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (8/13/2012 11:14:27 AM)

http://www.wargamecollege.net/2012/08/reich-1942-1945-version-1-8/

Version 1.8 is now available. Scenario instructions are in the zip and on the web site. Web site and the earlier scenario guide are undergoing revisions.

Onto the next project.

mike1984 -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (8/13/2012 6:59:55 PM)

Mark, since we're only 50 turns or so from the end of our playtest, I say we finish that up, then get started on this one.

Looking forward to it...

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (8/13/2012 7:18:07 PM)

Yeah, agree - to deep into this one to not see how it goes. I'll be running a couple games of this scenario most likely without an AAR, will save any AAR for our next game.

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (8/14/2012 9:11:47 PM)

A quick note... that as can be expected there are some issues that still need to be fixed. These are relatively minor compared to previous issues -- two units arriving too early and a duplicate color scheme that withdraws the Axis T1 Theater Options and the Allied Eastern Polish Army before it arrives - and now I understand why.

And snow... now there's too much extending to Row 100 which is the 1st Weather Zone, I'll try to bump it out with a couple warm fronts on T2 & 3. I'll have these fixed by the weekend if not earlier...

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (8/16/2012 11:21:10 AM)

Okay, new files are now up.

* Adjusted Vichy Sequence per advice from Ben Turner -- will no longer show in news string. Now, Allies will receive a HQ named "Vichy Meeting" between Turns 21 and 34 indicating that Torch may proceed with a very high probability of Vichy Forces laying down arms the turn after. However, there is a 7% chance that Vichy Forces will continue to fight until the Allies approach Paris (slight radius effect).
* Two units arriving early (T1) are now queued to their proper events.
* Changed colors of the Axis T1 Only TO's so that it doesn't impact the Polish armies forming in Russia...
* One slight replacement rate adjustment.
* Set up a Warm Front on T2.

Overall minor points, but now the Vichy component can be a real surprise for both sides.

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (8/16/2012 6:58:52 PM)

Embarrassing, but in the course of correcting one error, I inadvertently created another... so if you've already started, hopefully I'm catching you early. My apologies, haste makes waste and today I've been shot at least 6 times. Continue firing at will. New file is up again. And this should do it (but we've heard that before...).

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (9/30/2012 12:56:31 PM)

Just a quick note that the latest file version is now available - uses same file name, same equipment file, but is v 1.8.3 can download at http://www.wargamecollege.net/2012/08/reich-1942-1945-version-1-8/.

Minor adjustments to several line item replacement rates, added two possible Axis supply points in the Middle East, fixed one Axis formation with excessively low support squads, fixed one air unit to veteran status, and fixed two Allied units arriving too early.

Playtests of 1.8.1 have been much slower, one is well into the T30's but a second is sub-20 and will likely be closed.

There may be some other minor tweaks to be done, but at this point I think it is okay to make it available for download to other sites.

Foggy -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (9/30/2012 3:26:51 PM)

Just started a new game - T2 sent to opponent - do you want to see any EOT files?

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (9/30/2012 3:42:42 PM)

Hi Foggy! It would be great if you could send an end of turn file every 10 turns or so. I don't need to see all of them - mainly looking at replacement pools and the EEV tally over time. Feel free to hit me up at MWDabbs (at) gmail (d o t) com. Thanks!

Telumar -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (10/8/2012 5:29:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USXpat

Just a quick note that the latest file version is now available - uses same file name, same equipment file, but is v 1.8.3 can download at http://www.wargamecollege.net/2012/08/reich-1942-1945-version-1-8/.

Minor adjustments to several line item replacement rates, added two possible Axis supply points in the Middle East, fixed one Axis formation with excessively low support squads, fixed one air unit to veteran status, and fixed two Allied units arriving too early.

Playtests of 1.8.1 have been much slower, one is well into the T30's but a second is sub-20 and will likely be closed.

There may be some other minor tweaks to be done, but at this point I think it is okay to make it available for download to other sites.

Now a briefing where all can be found in one place would be nice. I find your documentation helpfull, detailed and well presented, but it's disperesed in too many spots. And i had to do a hotseat test to find out that a sea tranport TO brings 6,000 sea transport capacity for the Germans. Any chances you will make a single pdf file as a scenario compagnion?

If time or RL is an issue i offer my help in putting together a single documentation file.

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (10/13/2012 3:45:43 PM)

Sorry for the delay in responding, I think you e-mailed me, too... hectic, scattered RL. I definitely have some documentation work to do and will get everything consolidated. Probably be about a week, but feel free to ask any questions. E-mail's fastest or skype (same as e-mail addy but without the @gmail).

All Sea Transport is at 4 turns, but decreases for the Axis.

Sea Transport 1 = 6000
Sea Transport 2 = 5000
Sea Transport 3 = 4000
Sea Transport 4 = 3200

Note too it will show after it expires it will show as a -6000, -5000, etc. but so far that has not caused any problems (thought it was relative vs. absolute).

USXpat -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (10/16/2012 2:40:31 PM)

Just a quick note that all of the scenario documents have been consolidated into one new zip file -- direct download link

http://www.wargamecollege.net/TRdocs.zip

This includes a new quick start guide... all in just 9 pages. The info in that supersedes the original scenario guide.

Ruppich -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (10/17/2012 7:58:15 AM)

"Deine Eltern wären stolz!"
zank yu for your effot!
mutsch abreschieted [:D]

BigDuke66 -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (10/17/2012 1:57:32 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzXj4YHuAQU

shunwick -> RE: Third Reich 42-45 v. 1.8 available (4/8/2013 5:26:56 PM)

Mark,

Thanks for the new version (1.9). [:)]

Best wishes,
Steve

USXpat -> Next update (TR 42 - 45) (4/3/2014 10:18:14 AM)

Third Reich 1942 - 1945 will be getting an update in the next couple of weeks. I'm open to any suggestions from those who have played it as to what should be added or removed.

At its present state, I don't intend to adjust the OOB/TO&E structure, but Allied replacements need to be adjusted down on a few line items. A few units need their entry hex and/or reconstitution hex adjusted, need to revise some terrain in Southern Germany. Aiming to improve weather effects somewhat.

As events are capped -- I'm looking to remove some of the hypothetical options... which ones?

Otherwise, as of today, the main development work on the next project is effectively complete and finally has a name: "Into Darkness: Europe 1939 - 1945". I don't know when it will actually be published as it involves the expanded map/unit count/events. It covers everything I could think of at the same scale as TR 42-45 excepting control of unit production and there's no NBC element.

Next I will be looking at a much smaller scenario for the Falklands. Then maybe next year... though I dread the idea, "Into Darkness" will be expanded to "Through Hell and Back" with Burma/China/Pacific - or basically everything except South America. That depends upon a lot of things, especially getting some help on the map.

USXpat -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (4/24/2014 7:48:48 PM)

Third Reich 1942-1945 v 2.0

That has the scenario file and equipment folder (place in Graphics folder), with notes on the 25 changes made. This is not tested, but for what it is worth, I did my very, very best to not break anything and I did a spot check. This does away with the Axis variants to refine other routines and have a few to work with should additional events be needed. Next TOAW patch might relieve that, I don't know.

Work on the Falkland Islands scenario is coming along - really fast in comparison to everything else.

Into Darkness: Europe 1939 - 1945 -- still in playtest, but mostly the entire naval component needs to be reworked. Instead of "semi-abstract" control of sealanes, it will need to run off explicit convoy tonnage losses... or removed altogether. The new things that I expect to be coming in TOAW (at least at some point) deserve to be tested, experimented upon and refined -- and this should allow plenty of it. If it works as intended, the paranoia for all sea operations, both sides, should be intense.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (4/24/2014 10:03:18 PM)

Looks like some useful changes there........given the status of my current game I might suggest we restart it :)

SMK-at-work -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (5/29/2014 6:35:55 AM)

A quick question about the "swapping out" of the 9th and 10th UK army units - is this intended to be just a straight on-map replacement - rail and exhausted unit into Iraq and a fresh unit out - which will not actually be in the corps structure for the Nth African sector - or is it something more subtle that I'm missing?

Also I note there are 2 7th UK Armoured Brigades in 10th rmy - one is "7 UK Arm Bde*", and the other is "7 UK Arm Bde" (without the asterix) which doesn't arrive until "T999?" - what's that about?? (just curious)

Ta

USXpat -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (5/29/2014 9:12:29 AM)

Yes, worn out units can be moved to Iraq to assume garrison duties and the fresh unit in Iraq can be moved to the front lines. Commonwealth forces have full cooperation with each other. Corps assignments are fixed but have no real game effect.

For the English OOB, some Tank units were upgraded, some were disbanded, some continued to exist without equipment upgrades, some were tank brigades that transitioned to armoured brigades, some brigades were subordinated to divisions. A bit foggy now, but iirc, the 7 UK Arm Bde* is either the upgrade for 7 UK Arm Bde OR it is a duplicate - not intended to show up for one of the above reasons.

I'm pretty sure it was a duplicate. If that is the case, I left it in the OOB as deleting it would move everything underneath it up "1 slot" possibly breaking some events. But I do remember spending a lot of time on 7 UK Arm Bde specifically - and all of the Armoured Brigades generally. English OOB & TOE was the most difficult portion of the scenario.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (5/30/2014 3:09:55 AM)

cool - thanks

USXpat -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (7/26/2014 2:50:53 PM)

By Sunday, Third Reich 42 - 45 version 2.1 will be available for download on wargamecollege.net. This includes very minor changes:

1. Adding a few additional Supply Points to Southern Russia (Tbilisi, Poti, Guryev, Stalingrad) - between 50-85% each.
2. renamed all PE-8 HB units to PE-2 LB -- not sure what the hell I was seeing earlier... changed icon for these and a P-39 unit.
3. shifted 4 NZ Arm Bde to arrive in Cairo instead of the vast depths of a marsh it couldn't get into or out of.
4. minor shift in the ratio of Soviet veteran/conscript rifle squads.

There may be other changes yet, but this covers the last of the items raised during playtests from SMK.

Relative to unit count, events, map place names, and supply points, it is nearly capped.

Intention is to have an updated scenario guide within the next 1-2 weeks, will update here when it is complete.

mike1984 -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (8/26/2014 2:03:18 PM)

Music to my ears. This sce is probably my favorite of all. FITE is up there too, but this one is just so damn good.

USXpat -> RE: Next update (TR 42 - 45) (8/28/2014 9:41:49 AM)

Thanks Mike, that's a really nice complement considering how many good scenarios there are. Update of the scenario guide is finished, just need to post it now. It may not be 100% accurate, but should be much closer than the earlier 1.9.

secadegas -> Question (TR 42 - 45) (9/21/2014 8:09:42 PM)

While checking this scenario (a good one, i think) just realised Allied units aren't allowed to divide. Not due to lack of force or formation slots as there are enough of both.
Is this a design option and if so how this is achieved on the scenario editor?

I noticed that most Axis allies units can't divide but that was clearly a design option as the unit size symbol was changed to section.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI