RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/7/2012 9:06:03 PM)

And a new page for me!

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/7/2012 9:27:35 PM)

[sm=00000436.gif]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/7/2012 9:31:35 PM)

thats a nice sized monitor.. can't believe I left the door open... nice UNP

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/7/2012 9:58:44 PM)

Just to finish harping on about it, battleships RULE, carriers DROOL...

[image]local://upfiles/16369/9BED546D4BF44CB6858EE50C8A438B4D.jpg[/image]

And the victory was completed the following turn when the Haruna, badly beaten up in the fight off Port Moresby, took two torpedoes (courtesy of an S-boat) and went to the bottom of the Coral Sea. SUCK IT, TOJO!

I know, I know... It's an AI game, it doesn't count. But it totally does...

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/7/2012 11:18:41 PM)

Anyone know anything about Strategic Command; Global Conflict?

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/7/2012 11:54:18 PM)

It looks like a pretty standard Strategic Command series game, i.e. too general for my tastes... Armchair General seems to like it...

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:27:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Just to finish harping on about it, battleships RULE, carriers DROOL...

[image]local://upfiles/16369/9BED546D4BF44CB6858EE50C8A438B4D.jpg[/image]

And the victory was completed the following turn when the Haruna, badly beaten up in the fight off Port Moresby, took two torpedoes (courtesy of an S-boat) and went to the bottom of the Coral Sea. SUCK IT, TOJO!

I know, I know... It's an AI game, it doesn't count. But it totally does...

Only one part counts. You're having fun with the game! [8D]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 7:40:51 AM)

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 7:43:09 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

quote:

I'd like to tell you all how well Alex played at tryouts this weekend, and how proud we are of him. Unfortunately, he didn't get a callback for the usual reasons, and I'm pissed at myself for forgetting my rule and getting my hopes up as I watched him play, when I know better. [:@]

AA tryouts in a little over 3 weeks. [:(]

No chance of him playing?

Coach?

This was the top level of tryouts, Leo, AAA. Next, he'll try out for AA, then A, then B, if needed, until he makes a team or does not make any of them. He will play in a local, non-travel, "house" league next season if he doesn't make one of these teams.

The kids are beyond the point where I can offer them anything as a coach. I never played myself, so all the kids can teach and coach me. [:D]

Best of luck Mike!

BTW, who decides if Alex has a change at tryouts? His previous performance or he gets to play in tryouts and then it is decided based on that performance and his performance in the past?

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 7:45:46 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

BTW, could post WWI 16" and 14" USN guns hurt Yamato's armor?

Was there some test about that (we all heard a lot about hypothetical Iowa vs. Yamato engagements) but Iowa had latest 16"/50 caliber Mark 7 guns whilst the Colorado class had oder 16"/50 caliber Mark 5 guns?

Nearly all of the heavy-calibre hits were scored at ranges of less than 15000 yards, well within Yamato's immunity zone. She was basically picked apart.

Hmmm...

But wouldn't the closer range mean that shell trajectories are more flat )i.e. horizontal) and thus more ineffective against very think side armor as opposed to longer range plunging trajectories where the shells would his at higher angle and have better probability of penetrating thinner deck armor?

BTW, do you have some data on Yamato's immunity zone?

Leo "Apollo11"

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 11:50:52 AM)

The 16in/45 Mark 5 could penetrate Yamato's belt when under 20000 yards and the 14in/45 on the Pennsylvania could do it around 12000 yards.

Like I said earlier, my ships basically took her apart by destroying the weapons and superstructure, causing a lot of fire and concussion damage; aside from the torpedo hits, there were maybe two or three belt armour penetrations.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 12:46:46 PM)

Morning tithe...[&o]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 12:55:34 PM)

Hi all,

Kristian, do you have some tables for the above statements?

For example: (Robert O. Dulin, Jr., and William H. Karzke, Jr. United States Battleships in World War II)

quote:

Immune Zone of "x" - "y" meters against the "z" inch gun:

The Immune Zone is defined as the range band, within which the armor of a ship is theoretically immune to penetration. In this example, at ranges of less than "X" meters, shells of "z" inches will have sufficient energy to penetrate the vertical armor plates, but will strike at too shallow an angle to penetrate the horizontal deck armor. At ranges greater than "y" meters, shells of "z" inches plunging at steep angles will have sufficient energy to penetrate horizontal deck plates, but will bounce off vertical plates. Within this zone, neither plates can be penetrated (again, theoretically).

quote:

Yamato stats:

Armor:
     Main Belt:          16.1"
     Armor Deck:          7.9"

18.1 INCH (460MM) GUN <14>

Designation:        Type 94
Shell Weight:
     AP:             3,218 lb
Range:
     AP:            45,276 yds at 45 deg
Muzzle Velocity:
     AP:             2,559 ft/sec
Armor Penetration: (AP)
      Range (meters)   Vertical (in)   Horizontal (in)

5,000            30              0.9
        10,000            26.6            2
        20,000            19.4            4.3
        30,000            14.2            7.4
        35,000            12              10

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 1:33:44 PM)

Hi all,

Found nice page:

http://www.navweaps.com

[:)]

In it there is a penetration table for US 16"/45 (40.6 cm) Mark 5 (on USN Colorado BB):

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-45_mk5.htm

Since Kristian said that very first hit destroyed one of the Yamato's turrets I am wondering is this is corrects since, at 25000 yards the most powerful gun US TF had has penetration of:

25,000 yards (22,860 m)

-> Side armour: 13.74" (349 mm)
-> Deck armour: 4.78" (121 mm)
-> Striking velocity: 1,522 fps (464 mps)
-> Angle of Fall: 23.55 degrees

Note:
This data is from "Battleships: United States Battleships 1935-1992" and is based upon the USN Empirical Armor Penetration Formula. These values are in substantial agreement with armor penetration curves published in 1942.

Thus how on Earth can this penetrate the Yamato's armor on turret (of 26")?

At 15000 yard ranges the most powerful gun US TF had has penetration of:

15,000 yards (13,716 m)

-> Side armour: 19.22" (488 mm)
-> Deck armour: 2.51" (64 mm)
-> Striking velocity: 1,796 fps (547 mps)
-> Angle of Fall: 10.5 degrees

At this range this is better than Yamato's main belt (16.1") and I fully understand that 16" USN gun hits would be devastating...

Thus, the only way for Yamato to survive is to keep distance and fight at 25000+ yards!

Leo "Apollo11"

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 1:46:42 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd like to tell you all how well Alex played at tryouts this weekend, and how proud we are of him. Unfortunately, he didn't get a callback for the usual reasons, and I'm pissed at myself for forgetting my rule and getting my hopes up as I watched him play, when I know better. [:@]

Coach?

This was the top level of tryouts, Leo, AAA. Next, he'll try out for AA, then A, then B, if needed, until he makes a team or does not make any of them. He will play in a local, non-travel, "house" league next season if he doesn't make one of these teams.

The kids are beyond the point where I can offer them anything as a coach. I never played myself, so all the kids can teach and coach me. [:D]

Best of luck Mike!

BTW, who decides if Alex has a change at tryouts? His previous performance or he gets to play in tryouts and then it is decided based on that performance and his performance in the past?

Leo "Apollo11"

Thanks, Leo! The tryouts are evaluated by the organization's goalie coach, team coaches, and other administrators. Earning a position or not is supposed to be based on his performance during the tryouts, but the evaluators (particularly the goalie coach) already know who is the best goalie based on previous performance, so have made up their mind before the tryouts even start.

We're all a little less angry today, and we've been through this a few times already in past years so we know we will get over it in time for Alex to go to the next level down tryouts and pretend he's actually being evaluated instead of just going through the motions. [:D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 1:48:49 PM)

Good morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 1:51:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach?

Best of luck Mike!

Leo "Apollo11"

Thanks, Leo! The tryouts are evaluated by the organization's goalie coach, team coaches, and other administrators. Earning a position or not is supposed to be based on his performance during the tryouts, but the evaluators (particularly the goalie coach) already know who is the best goalie based on previous performance, so have made up their mind before the tryouts even start.

We're all a little less angry today, and we've been through this a few times already in past years so we know we will get over it in time for Alex to go to the next level down tryouts and pretend he's actually being evaluated instead of just going through the motions. [:D]

BTW, I've talked to a lot of hockey parents over the years from a lot of places. This problem is not limited to the organization (Junior Hurricanes) that we have locally. Some organizations are better or worse, but it's a widespread problem in "competitive" youth sports programs. We just get the shaft a little more frequently because there happen to be a lot of goalies within 1 year of Alex's age, so there is extra competition for those spots.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:15:30 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

Found nice page:

http://www.navweaps.com

[:)]

In it there is a penetration table for US 16"/45 (40.6 cm) Mark 5 (on USN Colorado BB):

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-45_mk5.htm

Since Kristian said that very first hit destroyed one of the Yamato's turrets I am wondering is this is corrects since, at 25000 yards the most powerful gun US TF had has penetration of:

25,000 yards (22,860 m)

-> Side armour: 13.74" (349 mm)
-> Deck armour: 4.78" (121 mm)
-> Striking velocity: 1,522 fps (464 mps)
-> Angle of Fall: 23.55 degrees

Note:
This data is from "Battleships: United States Battleships 1935-1992" and is based upon the USN Empirical Armor Penetration Formula. These values are in substantial agreement with armor penetration curves published in 1942.

Thus how on Earth can this penetrate the Yamato's armor on turret (of 26")?

At 15000 yard ranges the most powerful gun US TF had has penetration of:

15,000 yards (13,716 m)

-> Side armour: 19.22" (488 mm)
-> Deck armour: 2.51" (64 mm)
-> Striking velocity: 1,796 fps (547 mps)
-> Angle of Fall: 10.5 degrees

At this range this is better than Yamato's main belt (16.1") and I fully understand that 16" USN gun hits would be devastating...

Thus, the only way for Yamato to survive is to keep distance and fight at 25000+ yards!

Leo "Apollo11"

I wish I had a shell-by-shell rundown of the fight, because it obviously doesn't make sense that a 16in shell at 26Kyds destroyed one of Yamatos turrets. I just remember that there was one big hit on it, but it obviously wasn't at 26Kyds.

The Yamato and Haruna had just bombarded Port Moresby, so maybe they were short of main battery shells and that, combined with bad gunnery, explains the poor performance.

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:17:04 PM)

Plus, obviously, I had waaaay more gun tubes than the other guy did and full ammunition loads.

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:24:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach?

Best of luck Mike!

Leo "Apollo11"

BTW, I've talked to a lot of hockey parents over the years from a lot of places. This problem is not limited to the organization (Junior Hurricanes) that we have locally. Some organizations are better or worse, but it's a widespread problem in "competitive" youth sports programs. We just get the shaft a little more frequently because there happen to be a lot of goalies within 1 year of Alex's age, so there is extra competition for those spots.

Keep at it. He'll make the grade. Effort can make the difference. Or, you could still relocate to Thief River Falls.[;)]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:25:15 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

I wish I had a shell-by-shell rundown of the fight, because it obviously doesn't make sense that a 16in shell at 26Kyds destroyed one of Yamatos turrets. I just remember that there was one big hit on it, but it obviously wasn't at 26Kyds.

The Yamato and Haruna had just bombarded Port Moresby, so maybe they were short of main battery shells and that, combined with bad gunnery, explains the poor performance.

Plus, obviously, I had waaaay more gun tubes than the other guy did and full ammunition loads.

RGR!

That explanation is the best one... bombardment TF jumped by more numerous combat TF...

Leo "Apollo11"

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:39:59 PM)

I can't even fathom the pretend logic in this one...[&:]

Is it BOE, BOA or World Bank? Why would they be bugging me to register if they KNEW that I had a credit owed me? Why do they know that I have a credit owed me if they don't know my name? WTF does the BOE and BOA have to do with Nigerian developmental monies? Why don't they apply my outstanding credit to my overdue payment?

Why does the World Bank team use hotmail as their email domain?

Isn't million usually indicated by "MM" in these sorts of abbreviations? Why bother me for only 12.5 thousand dollars?

WORLD BANK TEAM ON DEBT PAYMENT
Thread needle Street GB-London
EC2R 8AH United Kingdom
Tel: +447035984714
Dear beneficiary,

Ref: OVERDUE PAYMENT,

Following the urgent signal received from BANK OF AMERICA (BOA)/BANK
OF ENGLAND (BOE) and AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (ADB) concerning your long overdue payment, be informed that an accredited independent financial consultant has been assigned by the World Bank Team to effect the release of your payment as soon as all documentations have been completed.
During the auditing and vetting of your files it was discovered from the records of outstanding payment that yours has been delayed by some fraudulent officials / your representatives from the origin of your fund. In line with the official instruction issued after our meeting with the board of Directors held on Friday 17th February 2012, be informed that you are among the listed BENEFICIARIES to receive US$12.5M.
You are therefore required to fill the form below to ascertain your status as the beneficiary and also to enable us process your payment.

CLAIM FORM:
SURNAME:…………………………………………………
OTHER NAMES:…………………………………………...
DATE OF BIRTH:………………………………………….
SEX:…………………………………………………………
ADDRESS:…………………………………………………
TELEPHONE:………………………………………………
FAX:…………………………………………………………

Dr. Clemon Watson
Group Head (World Bank Team)
EMAIL dr.clemon@hotmail.com

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:44:22 PM)

Dixie,

Can you help me put Dr. Clemon Watson in touch with this poor man? Barrister Douglas Andrew looks like he needs some help:

My Dear Friend,

I am happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred under the co-operation of a new partner from China. Although you might find it difficult

to remember me, since it has indeed been a very long time. However, I am much elated and privileged to contact you again after this Long time.

While it takes faith and courage to remember old friends and at the same time, to show gratitude to them in spite of circumstances that may have Disrupted our

transaction ultimately not to work out as we projected.Nevertheless, I take this liberty to inform you that, the Transaction we were pursuing then together, finally

worked out by the infinite mercy of GOD Almighty and I've decided to contact you, just to let
You know the present situation.

I must inform you also that I am presently in China for business negotiations and establishment, and, with a sincere heart, I have raised and signed an International

Cashier's bank draft, to the tune of US$8,000,000.00 (Eight Million United States Dollars) in your name as COMPENSATION for your Dedication and humane contribution as

it were. I will be very busy here at the moment because of the investment projects that me and my new partners are having at hand. Do not also accept any fax or

telephone calls that do not come from my secretary.

He is the only person I instructed and directed on how to deliver the draft to you. Therefore, I implore you to contact him immediately you read this Message for

further information on how to receive your draft, for I have conscience as a human being, and I really appreciated your tremendous effort And contribution made to make

things work out but which we couldn't complete due to circumstances beyond our control. In view of this, you are to contact My secretary in the person of Mr. Collins

George. Find below his contact.

Contact person: Mr. Collins George
Email: iinfoprivate@aol.com or mrcollinsgeorge@inmail.sk
Contact Phone number: +2347084355706.

Note: He is waiting to hear from you so that he can ship the ICBD to your residence/office address as you may instruct him to, BE WARNED ABOUT
FRADULENT LETTER. Take note and bear in mind that the International Cashier bank draft has a validity period of 30 banking days, as such it is expedient You contact

him and thus have modality put in place to conclude this arrangement in the earliest possible time.

Sincerely,
Barrister Douglas Andrew

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 3:47:25 PM)

Monday's belated pun:

Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 4:07:14 PM)

quote:

Monday's belated pun:

Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.

Keep 'em coming, Mike, I really enjoy a good chuckle in the morning! [sm=happy0065.gif]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 4:07:32 PM)

Oooooooo.

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 4:07:35 PM)

Good Morning!

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 4:09:45 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

Kristian, do you have some tables for the above statements?

For example: (Robert O. Dulin, Jr., and William H. Karzke, Jr. United States Battleships in World War II)

quote:

Immune Zone of "x" - "y" meters against the "z" inch gun:

The Immune Zone is defined as the range band, within which the armor of a ship is theoretically immune to penetration. In this example, at ranges of less than "X" meters, shells of "z" inches will have sufficient energy to penetrate the vertical armor plates, but will strike at too shallow an angle to penetrate the horizontal deck armor. At ranges greater than "y" meters, shells of "z" inches plunging at steep angles will have sufficient energy to penetrate horizontal deck plates, but will bounce off vertical plates. Within this zone, neither plates can be penetrated (again, theoretically).

quote:

Yamato stats:

Armor:
     Main Belt:          16.1"
     Armor Deck:          7.9"

18.1 INCH (460MM) GUN <14>

Designation:        Type 94
Shell Weight:
     AP:             3,218 lb
Range:
     AP:            45,276 yds at 45 deg
Muzzle Velocity:
     AP:             2,559 ft/sec
Armor Penetration: (AP)
      Range (meters)   Vertical (in)   Horizontal (in)

5,000            30              0.9
        10,000            26.6            2
        20,000            19.4            4.3
        30,000            14.2            7.4
        35,000            12              10

Ahh, tables like that bring back fond memories of playing Jutland, Bismark, and naval miniatures on an empty meeting room floor at Oklahoma State University floor back in 1982-83!

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 4:10:12 PM)

Going to be a long day...

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (5/8/2012 4:10:43 PM)

I have this huge logic algorithm to write, thought I would start...

Page: <<   < prev  192 193 [194] 195 196   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI