RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/3/2017 10:15:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

HK starts with 160 HI and 220 LI in this scenario, it is a lot bigger than Canton.

HK is also worth a lot of VPs for either player, so if John has been trying to rack up VPs to stave off Allied Auto-Victory, losing HK will hurt him a lot. And if HK goes, Canton is in jeopardy too.

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 12:40:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

(Actually, HK has a slightly larger shipyard than Manila's).

I confess that I don't know why John would fight for Hong Kong. It's no more valuable at this point than many other bases, either from a utility (shipyard/airfield) standpoint or from a VP standpoint. Manila was far more important. So is Foochow. So I don't think he'd react to a move on HK.

I still think there's a decent chance he'll move to intercede in the Formosa campaign.

HK is the door to Canton. I think Canton is industrially important. A JFB might disagree.

Yes, plus denying it to the Allies.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 12:57:58 AM)

In all probability, the Allies will eventually take everything on the coast south of Foochow. With one army moving up from Vietnam, the Chinese army growing, and the western Allies firmly lodged at Foochow and Amoy, the Japanese position should be tenuous. Tenuous, that is, once I have enough supply to allow bombing.

For now, I don't have the supply or the troops to engage in a major move further into China. I'm making noise, simply because I don't want John to guess that most of my western units are going to pack up and ship out for Formosa within about three weeks. I'll hold Amoy (because I don't want John to have a big airfield near Formosa) and Foochow (because I intend to use it as a key strategic bombing center going forward).

So Hong Kong and Canton will be targeted but not in the short term.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 1:02:46 AM)

8/11/44

KB & DS: No carrier intercept today, but KB is moving back into the DEI. While John probably has the Victory Point angle figured out, there's no doubt that militarily I'd much rather see his carriers in the DEI than around Formosa.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/218D1478D77249FBBF92DEAE33A1E855.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 1:25:27 AM)

8/11/44

Peep Show & SEAC: The Allies are making progress in Indochina and China. Really, though, most of these theaters are secondary to Foochow (future strategic bombing base) and Formosa.

Right now, my air forces are focusing primarily on Formosa. Eventually I want to use them in China and Indochina, but only after Formosa wraps up (and that's fine, because I'd need supply before I could do anything anyway).

[image]local://upfiles/8143/26D5240094744792837CEC33D88B5A99.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 2:11:05 AM)

That armored attack west of Amoy was still important because it keeps up the disruption of those retreated troops. In fact, if that unit can manage to continue attacking until other units arrive that would be best. But of course not if doing so trashes the unit.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 4:17:00 AM)

quote:

In all probability, the Allies will eventually take everything on the coast south of Foochow. With one army moving up from Vietnam, the Chinese army growing, and the western Allies firmly lodged at Foochow and Amoy, the Japanese position should be tenuous. Tenuous, that is, once I have enough supply to allow bombing.

For now, I don't have the supply or the troops to engage in a major move further into China. I'm making noise, simply because I don't want John to guess that most of my western units are going to pack up and ship out for Formosa within about three weeks. I'll hold Amoy (because I don't want John to have a big airfield near Formosa) and Foochow (because I intend to use it as a key strategic bombing center going forward).

In my last campaign once I got a foot hold in Southern China, there was little my opponent could do about it. Just no way the Japanese can fight vs the Allies in open terrain, and it is all pretty much open terrain. Great tank country. This is especially true if there are not restrictions on the Allies about bombing Japanese units in the open.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 4:30:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

In my last campaign once I got a foot hold in Southern China, there was little my opponent could do about it. Just no way the Japanese can fight vs the Allies in open terrain, and it is all pretty much open terrain. Great tank country. This is especially true if there are not restrictions on the Allies about bombing Japanese units in the open.

It can be done, but it takes everything Japan has...15 or so good AA units and lots of Tank Divisions, artillery and IJA heavy divisions. However you can only stick around for a few days....unless it is a large air base and you are willing to put up a 300 plane CAP. And of course while Japan has that single stack festung, the Allies simply bypass it and cut off the supply.

Not pleasant.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 12:44:50 PM)

8/11/44

Preparing for China: When Rangoon and Moulmein fell, the Allies rolled into Thailand and on to Bangkok, and the entire campaign took on the character of a route.

At that point, deciding which targets to prepare for became a challenge. Where would John make a stand? How could I minimize the chances that I'd prep for a target that John wouldn't even defend?

I chose mainly two targets: Saigon and Canton. The southern, more advanced half of my SEAC units would head for southern Indochina; the northern half would move towards Vinh and eventually, I hoped, into China.

Whether I chose right remains to be seen.

This image shows the northern stack, which will arrive at Vinh tomorrow. Notice that I didn't really bother to prep for Hanoi and Haiphong. I'm not yet sure if that was the right call.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/742C6CB04CEC4517AF595F19417FD3EC.jpg[/image]

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 1:21:47 PM)

How do your Chinese units look? You should have at least a few filled out formations by this time. There AV numbers can get pretty high

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 1:41:47 PM)

I have 3500+ '43 Chinese squads in the pools. Only a few of my units are swapping over to them, partly because the supply has only recently begun to flow; partly because most of my Chinese army is in non-base hexes. I'll be addressing this.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 4:16:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

(Actually, HK has a slightly larger shipyard than Manila's).

I confess that I don't know why John would fight for Hong Kong. It's no more valuable at this point than many other bases, either from a utility (shipyard/airfield) standpoint or from a VP standpoint. Manila was far more important. So is Foochow. So I don't think he'd react to a move on HK.

I still think there's a decent chance he'll move to intercede in the Formosa campaign.

HK is the door to Canton. I think Canton is industrially important. A JFB might disagree.

It isn't, really. Also, Canton has an enormous garrison requirement so is easier to defend heavily.

Hong Kong would be useful simply because it has a large port and you could quickly dump lots of supplies into China.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 8:34:53 PM)

8/12/44

Peep Show: For the moment, the Allies have control of the air over Formosa. A US division will attack west of Amoy tomorrow.

Indochina: Important Allied attacks tomorrow a hex NW of Saigon and at Vinh.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/C25B91F7EE2A4F15AD6ED6258887A24F.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 8:49:16 PM)

8/12/44

DEI, KB & DS: John may think he'll be leading Death Star on a merry chase into the DEI...but DS is playing it's own game to the northwest while the massive resupply TFs are playing another game to the east. John has no detection on the latter, and if he doesn't figure out what's going on within one or two turns, KB may be out of position to contest the move. (If it does move to contest, that'll trigger DS to advance into the DEI to intervene.)

[image]local://upfiles/8143/47E5EF7E8FD94BEA912E3969A392BEBF.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 9:27:22 PM)

Look for your supply usage in China to increase by x4.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/6F37886524B843A6B32A6A0F88BACAD6.jpg[/image]

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 9:53:43 PM)

I found supply in china to be no problem if you drop 4 million tons on a railhead.

BillBrown -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/4/2017 10:42:33 PM)

I think I mentioned this before Dan. The F4U-1A stays in production until 6/45, same as the F4U-1D.
So your F4U production will be triple what it is now. 78 + 158 = 236 per month.

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 12:38:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I think I mentioned this before Dan. The F4U-1A stays in production until 6/45, same as the F4U-1D.
So your F4U production will be triple what it is now. 78 + 158 = 236 per month.

Dat's alot of FU's ;]

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 12:44:16 AM)

Are the 2nd division and company moving out into open territory? I can't tell if there is a movement pip to the east...plus how much did you bomb them to find out what they are? Near LangSon (one of my favorite bases in the game).

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 2:10:56 AM)

They're moving into China, but John may shy away from open terrain. He's probably learned by now that isn't a good habitat for his guys.

I haven't bombed them, except one Brit fighter-bomber squadron that hit them (no damage) a few times to knock them out of movement mode and reveal the identity of the units.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 1:45:43 PM)

Via the maps, it appears John is trying to contain you in China & may even have thoughts of a counter-attack. I'm not sure, again, that he realizes just how dangerous a re-supplied and re-equipped Chinese Army is.

If you can continue to dump supplies through Rangoon or even closer to the front, then it becomes the Chinese Army doing most of the heavy lifting in pinning down John's troops & then you just bombing the hell out of anything that enters clear terrain.

Have fun!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 2:03:42 PM)

There are two key aspects to the ground war in China that will determine how things play out into the medium term:

1) Supply is coming in from Rangoon in moderate amounts now, but most of the Chinese units are in non-base hexes. So they aren't eligible to upgrade to '43 squads. To this point, that hasn't been an issue, because the supply faucet has only just turned on. But as units begin to upgrade in bases, I'll move them forward while replacing them with "lesser" units rotating back. That's just happened at Chungking, where a big Chinese corps has gone to '43 squads. As soon as a replacement garrison unit arrives, that corps will move forward. It's prepping for Canton. But the changeover to '43 squads will be sporadic and protracted - it isn't going to have an impact for quite some time.

2) The bigger question is whether John maintains a viable defensive line that keeps the western Allied units in Vietnam from linking up with Chinese units in China. If the western Allies bust through at Hanoi/Haiphong/Lan Song, then they can move on Canton in strength or move to break the main Japanese MLR in the Nanning to Changsha sector. Either way, the balance of power would tip dramatically, I think, in China.

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 2:05:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Via the maps, it appears John is trying to contain you in China & may even have thoughts of a counter-attack. I'm not sure, again, that he realizes just how dangerous a re-supplied and re-equipped Chinese Army is.

If you can continue to dump supplies through Rangoon or even closer to the front, then it becomes the Chinese Army doing most of the heavy lifting in pinning down John's troops & then you just bombing the hell out of anything that enters clear terrain.

Have fun!

In my experience Chinese troops aren't that great on attack...especially where the Japanese have had a chance to dig in and fortify. Where they do seem to do well is once supply is gone for Japan, and also if you can attack Japanese garrison troops -- the light divisions lacking in artillery.

Another option would be to do a broad front attack and everywhere and then follow up on the weak areas or just to start a huge bombardment campaign. And let us not forget about the Allied strength in the air....what does the Chinese Air Force look like?

There are so many fascinating tactical options open for both sides in this game...it is great to watch it unfold.

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 2:10:00 PM)

quote:

There are two key aspects to the ground war in China that will determine how things play out into the medium term:

1) Supply is coming in from Rangoon in moderate amounts now, but most of the Chinese units are in non-base hexes. So they aren't eligible to upgrade to '43 squads. To this point, that hasn't been an issue, because the supply faucet has only just turned on. But as units begin to upgrade in bases, I'll move them forward while replacing them with "lesser" units rotating back. That's just happened at Chungking, where a big Chinese corps has gone to '43 squads. As soon as a replacement garrison unit arrives, that corps will move forward. It's prepping for Canton. But the changeover to '43 squads will be sporadic and protracted - it isn't going to have an impact for quite some time.

2) The bigger question is whether John maintains a viable defensive line that keeps the western Allied units in Vietnam from linking up with Chinese units in China. If the western Allies bust through at Hanoi/Haiphong/Lan Song, then they can move on Canton in strength or move to break the main Japanese MLR in the Nanning to Changsha sector. Either way, the balance of power would tip dramatically, I think, in China.

My view of China is that once you are on the ground in force with a beachhead that can be supplied and defended then there is really no 'line' the Japanese can create that you cannot bypass with naval transport.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 2:17:39 PM)

Or need to for that matter.

And to clarify my remarks about the Chinese Army - they can absorb the losses & a beefier Chinese Corp can take quite a bit of punishment.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 2:23:48 PM)

There is an unusual set of circumstances that limits what I can do in China. Logistics and supply are at the heart of the matter.

The western Allies have taken Foochow and Amoy in great shape with a strong army of six divisions. If I had lots of supply, I'd simply turn this in to the next big campaign, dumping supply and troops and moving to isolate and destroy John's army and them go north.

But I'm at the end of a year-long campaign and at the far end of an LOC that stretches from San Francisco to Oz to the DEI to Manila to Foochow. It takes time and a great deal of resources, at some risk, to push supply that far forward.

Peep Show took place with only about 100k supply - not enough to sustain a major campaign in China. Even when the next influx of supply arrives, I don't want to dump it at Foochow only to have it dribble out into the countryside.

Instead, Peep Show I was purposefully designed to take Foochow for strategic bombing purposes. I'm building the base big and will keep it well supplied. Peep Show II targets Formosa, where supply won't dribble away. Formosa gives me additional big airfields, denies them to John, and allows me to work on a major part of the Japanese army.

I want most of the supply and ground troops in the coming China campaign to come from Rangoon (the supply) and the western Allies (moving up from Indochina).

Once Formosa is in hand, the Allies will focus on two things for the balance of 1944: taking another strategic bombing platform closer to Japan (northern China, Korea, Home Islands, whatever); cleaning up the rear, taking important points/resource bases like Singapore, Batavia, Soerabaja, Balikpapan, Port Moresby and maybe Rabaul.

By the end of 1944, John's DEI holdings will be fragmented and essentially worthless. The Home Islands will be under seige by air, if not by land and sea also.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 3:31:50 PM)

quote:

Supply will start to heal disruption and low morale as well. Not to mention replacements.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 3:37:09 PM)

quote:

There is an unusual set of circumstances that limits what I can do in China. Logistics and supply are at the heart of the matter.

The western Allies have taken Foochow and Amoy in great shape with a strong army of six divisions. If I had lots of supply, I'd simply turn this in to the next big campaign, dumping supply and troops and moving to isolate and destroy John's army and them go north.

But I'm at the end of a year-long campaign and at the far end of an LOC that stretches from San Francisco to Oz to the DEI to Manila to Foochow. It takes time and a great deal of resources, at some risk, to push supply that far forward.

Peep Show took place with only about 100k supply - not enough to sustain a major campaign in China. Even when the next influx of supply arrives, I don't want to dump it at Foochow only to have it dribble out into the countryside.

Instead, Peep Show I was purposefully designed to take Foochow for strategic bombing purposes. I'm building the base big and will keep it well supplied. Peep Show II targets Formosa, where supply won't dribble away. Formosa gives me additional big airfields, denies them to John, and allows me to work on a major part of the Japanese army.

I want most of the supply and ground troops in the coming China campaign to come from Rangoon (the supply) and the western Allies (moving up from Indochina).

Once Formosa is in hand, the Allies will focus on two things for the balance of 1944: taking another strategic bombing platform closer to Japan (northern China, Korea, Home Islands, whatever); cleaning up the rear, taking important points/resource bases like Singapore, Batavia, Soerabaja, Balikpapan, Port Moresby and maybe Rabaul.

By the end of 1944, John's DEI holdings will be fragmented and essentially worthless. The Home Islands will be under seige by air, if not by land and sea also.

And the question really is-is there any need for a campaign at all in China. From here on the focus will be on taking airbases big enough and close enough to attack Japan directly. The road to victory leads to Tokyo. Central China really does not matter if you hold key positions on the coast. South Korea might be more significant. If I recall I got enough supply from Rangoon to supply my interior Chinese troops. Once I retook Chunking that is. That was enough to tie up a lot of Japanese troops in China.

Mike McCreery -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 3:56:49 PM)

The only real goal of any China campaign is to hold as many troops on that continent and thus make a conquest of the Home Islands much easier.

If CR's end game goal is the strategic bombing he is indicating he plans on doing then it would be a distraction.

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/5/2017 4:24:29 PM)

Agreed - keep as many of those divisions tied down will pay dividends. John can't afford to just give up potential airbases at this point.

Page: <<   < prev  355 356 [357] 358 359   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI