RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Lovejoy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 2:42:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

The retreating USN burned USS Merrimack to the waterline (the dock was flooded to put out the fire by the shipyard-capturing Confederates), and an argument can be made that the ship was abandoned as salvage at that point.

Me? I always figured it was just newspaper editors' love of alliteration in headlines.

And possession be 9/10 of the law, particularly when you arm said possession with cannon!

uncivil_servant -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 2:42:42 PM)

quote:

Having gone to Virginia public schools in an era where answering "the Civil War" on a history test was marked wrong, and having said public school being a few miles from Hampton Roads where the battle took place, we were steeped in this issue. The retreating USN burned USS Merrimack to the waterline (the dock was flooded to put out the fire by the shipyard-capturing Confederates), and an argument can be made that the ship was abandoned as salvage at that point. But to my knowledge she was never struck from the list either. To your point, and one that drives many Virginians mad, especially recently in the "monument crisis", the Confederacy was never recognized as a nation state by the USA, so having national ships in commission was a non-sequitur. To the victors she always was a United States ship under rebel control, with a lot of unauthorized hoo-haw hung on her main deck.

Me? I always figured it was just newspaper editors' love of alliteration in headlines.

Not to be contrarian to keeping the name Merrimack was more of an insult than anything regarding recognizing the Confederacy. In dispatches and letters the Army of Northern Virginia is referred to as such. Never the Militia of the State of Virginia. Richmond was referred to as the capital of the Confederacy, even though it was not a recognized nation. Members of the Confederate Army were recognized by rank, NOT the previous rank issued to them by the US Government. (They referred to Lee as General Lee, not Colonel Lee). Not calling the Virginia the Virginia but instead the name of the hull the Virginia was built from was a backhanded insult from the US Navy.
Further: Ships we captured from the Barbary States (a government we recognized) were renamed after being captured in the conflict and were never referred to as their former names but as their USS Designation.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 3:00:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

quote:

The retreating USN burned USS Merrimack to the waterline (the dock was flooded to put out the fire by the shipyard-capturing Confederates), and an argument can be made that the ship was abandoned as salvage at that point.

And possession be 9/10 of the law, particularly when you arm said possession with cannon!

I think the quote is "possession is nine points of the law", but the meaning of that is only known to legal historians of the 18thC(?).

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 3:08:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncivil_servant

quote:

Having gone to Virginia public schools in an era where answering "the Civil War" on a history test was marked wrong, and having said public school being a few miles from Hampton Roads where the battle took place, we were steeped in this issue. The retreating USN burned USS Merrimack to the waterline (the dock was flooded to put out the fire by the shipyard-capturing Confederates), and an argument can be made that the ship was abandoned as salvage at that point. But to my knowledge she was never struck from the list either. To your point, and one that drives many Virginians mad, especially recently in the "monument crisis", the Confederacy was never recognized as a nation state by the USA, so having national ships in commission was a non-sequitur. To the victors she always was a United States ship under rebel control, with a lot of unauthorized hoo-haw hung on her main deck.

Not to be contrarian to keeping the name Merrimack was more of an insult than anything regarding recognizing the Confederacy. In dispatches and letters the Army of Northern Virginia is referred to as such. Never the Militia of the State of Virginia. Richmond was referred to as the capital of the Confederacy, even though it was not a recognized nation. Members of the Confederate Army were recognized by rank, NOT the previous rank issued to them by the US Government. (They referred to Lee as General Lee, not Colonel Lee).

True. But to me more a matter of convenience. Former Confederate officials were seen as having forfeited their citizenship through treason, and only regained it after the war by mandated oaths, and pardons.

I believe the USN referred to Confederate vessels purpose built as "CSS" ships. What else to call them? I suppose. Today they'd be "alleged CSS ships."

Not calling the Virginia the Virginia but instead the name of the hull the Virginia was built from was a backhanded insult from the US Navy.
Further: Ships we captured from the Barbary States (a government we recognized) were renamed after being captured in the conflict and were never referred to as their former names but as their USS Designation.

This had been accepted practice in all navies for centuries. The RN and the French had a mutual lending library of ships all through the Napoleonic period, for example. Had the ironclad survived and been taken by the USN she would have been USS Merrimack in all respects once more. I doubt the ironcladding would have been removed, however.

Flicker -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 5:13:29 PM)

ny59giants - second our friend 'MakeeLearn' suggestion of "Wolf of the Deep".

Also, "Memoirs of Service Afloat", by Semmes:

https://archive.org/details/serviceafloatwar00semmrich

Another first-person book I enjoyed: "Lamson of the Gettysburg", by Lamson, edited by McCullough. It has a detailed view of USN brownwater naval action during the Civil War.

AcePylut -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 5:44:33 PM)

Y’all are missing the point… If you speak the phrase “Monitor Vs. Merrimac”.. it flows much better and far more poetically than “Monitor vs. Virginia”. To me, it will always be the Monitor vs. the Merrimac.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 5:45:45 PM)

Scattershooting:

Merrimack: The Virginia had about a 3-month career before she returned whence she came, underwater. I doubt that the US was aware of/cared about the name change. Having said that, the Bullwinkle unified alliteration theory is correct. Editors do love them for headlines.

Notable Women Singers: Linda Ronstadt uber alles.

Andrea Doria: Odd, the first thing I thought about when I saw name was the Seinfeld episode not the ship.

Lincoln and his Admirals: Great book.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 5:48:53 PM)

The Andrea Doria, and the Edmund Fitzgerald. Those two shouldn't be linked in my brain, but I don't tell the synapses what to do.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 5:53:55 PM)

quote:

As above, if supply goes to zero you've got bigger problems. I've never seen a base's supply sucked to zero by field LCUs. Not even Chungking in 1942. Maybe the reason is so many bases can contribute, and there aren't any geographies, or many, where there's only one base to draw from. If my field LCUs were pulling so much out that I couldn't defend my main operating base(s), I'd move some LCUs farther away and starve them before I'd lose a major VP base. In that case combat would be so intense that LI production would be #10 on a list of the top five problems to worry about.

My opponent isolated Chunking instead of capturing it and as I have lost units the base had become overstacked by about 100,000 men. The result was not pretty. It's gamey I know but I don't mind much. Besides, while he was not paying attention I ran a ghost unit in from the north and was able to do a massive breakout. Talk about fun.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 6:06:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Emmylou vs Ronstadt is close but goes to Emmylou because she is a songwriter as well as a great singer.

Joan over Stevie for the same reason, and because in the early 1970s I went to a concert of her's at Cole Field House at the University of Maryland. At the time she refused to allow the promoters to charge more than $2.50 for a ticket. God bless her.

Emmylou vs Joan is no contest though. I have had a crush on Emmylou ever since I discovered her and Graham Parsons while listening to progressive radio in 1973 during the summer break from Maryland when I worked for the Praise the Lord Decorating Company. That in itself is another tale for another day. [;)]

Linda Ronstadt is also a songwriter, and helped the Eagles get their start by letting them record "Desperado". I like the clarity of her voice over the smoky, husky tones of Stevie Nix.

Glen Frey and Don Henley wrote Desperado. As far as I know Linda has two recorded songs where she shares co-writing credits. However, the vast bulk of her great works are covers of other artist's songs. I still adore her though.

Emmylou Harris did not write much until later in her life. "Red Dirt Girl" features mostly her own work and established her reputation as a song writer. One of my favorite albums is "Trio" featuring those two and Dolly Parton performing together.

Here is a great video of Linda and Johnny Cash singing "I never will Mary" on his variety show. Cash really worked had to have a great diversity of musicians on the show. And the performances are well worth watching even today. The back story on this performance is that June Carter noticed at rehearsal that Linda was not wearing panties. (Apparently she preferred going commando) June hit the roof and Linda had to make the necessary adjustments before she could perform on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvNXfzR6dw

HansBolter -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 7:51:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

I wasn't going to roll-in on this one, but... HansBolter, how is it that you picked Linda, knew the Warren Zevon connection AND have the St Petersburg thing going? Well done! BTW, Warren Zevon is the only musician I've seen in person three times... Amazing to see in person.

Never got to see him live.

As long as we're adding links here is the one to the documentary on the making of his final album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaOHkeQNMk

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 8:16:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The Andrea Doria, and the Edmund Fitzgerald. Those two shouldn't be linked in my brain, but I don't tell the synapses what to do.

When the Costa Concordia hit rocks and capsized, Capt. Schettino vigorously denied doing anything foolish to cause the accident. That instantly reminded me of the Andrea Doria collision which had the Italian Captain and his cruise line vigorously denying they did anything wrong and blaming the Swedish vessel for the collision. An international commission of inquiry put the blame squarely on the Italian captain for altering course to port rather than the internationally accepted alteration to starboard when meeting another vessel on a reciprocal course.

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 9:05:55 PM)

I'd love to see the reaction if the whole Chinese Army started showing movement dots [8D]

They dont have to go anywhere, just pretend to.

Do this a couple of times, and then let 1 or 2 advance.

(Plus I'd like to see the Chinese pressure towards Peking and Mongolia to raise the Red Steamroller threat)

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 9:50:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I'd love to see the reaction if the whole Chinese Army started showing movement dots [8D]

(Plus I'd like to see the Chinese pressure towards Peking and Mongolia to raise the Red Steamroller threat)

Don't know if it matters for CR, but setting a destination would clear their field fortification levels.

Also, no guarantee that John would see the dots.

Bearcat2 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/9/2017 10:16:05 PM)

I have seen Confederates use both CSS Virginia& Merrimac. Generally at the time or soon after; Confederate naval officers I have read used Virginia, the Confederate politicians and army officers used Merrimac [ex BrGen Colston CSA "Watching the Merrimac" or Cmmdr Brooke CSN " The plan and construction of the Merrimac" or John L Porter, CSN Naval "constructor"]. It might be due to the second CSS Virginia, which was arguably the most powerful Confederate ironclad.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 1:15:40 AM)

quote:

quote:

Don't know if it matters for CR, but setting a destination would clear their field fortification levels.

Are you sure that just setting a destination clears the forts? I thought the unit had to leave the hex to lose its forts?

Bif1961 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 1:32:57 AM)

The difference between those 3 shipwreckes is on ended in a Gramy award winning song.

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 3:08:40 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you sure that just setting a destination clears the forts? I thought the unit had to leave the hex to lose its forts?

Thats the problem with trying to con someone, they have to be awake to the threat and be looking hard. You dont have to set a target for all units in the hex, even an AT Gun LCU looks like an Army so you can leave your major units in forts.

I'd be trying to have JIII jumping at everything, threaten everything, make him make a mistake, taking on KB should be high on the list of targets.

Lokasenna -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 10:27:22 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Positive.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 1:08:05 PM)

8/16/44

KB, DS & the DEI: Things are in place for Mini DS to proceed to rendezvous with DS. Patrols reported one division of KB at Soerabaja and nothing in between there and Mini DS. 99.2% sure the route is clear of enemy carriers.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/82BF2FA2C7EC4084BD6B77EBC36B6D5D.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 2:17:25 PM)

That is an awfully deep red unit south of Darwin!

A full division at Soerabaja?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 2:20:38 PM)

I did battle with the unit south of Darwin a few weeks ago. It isn't big, but the Aussie brigade was in the open and battered by enemy bombers, so it pulled back to Katherine.

I'm not sure what you're asking about Soerabaja: carrier division or infantry division?

Lowpe -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 4:33:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I did battle with the unit south of Darwin a few weeks ago. It isn't big, but the Aussie brigade was in the open and battered by enemy bombers, so it pulled back to Katherine.

I'm not sure what you're asking about Soerabaja: carrier division or infantry division?

I am sorry, I see that I misread your your graphic...you were mentioning a carrier division and not an infantry division.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 5:34:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Headed for CR's wheelhouse now.....

"Iron Dawn...The Monitor, The Merrimack and the Civil War Sea Battle that Changed History" by Richard Snow

I'm now about 2/3 in and it is March 8, 1862 in Hampton Roads. This is my first book on these two ships exclusively. I would recommended it as its been a good balance of supposed first hand accounts of those involved in development of both sides. Interesting to hear some guns are by shell weight (32-pounder) or gun barrel (8 inch).

Any other good books on just the naval side of Civil War??

I used "Naval Battles of the Civil War" by Chester G. Hearn extensively when doing my 150th anniversary thread. Well-illustrated, lots of detail, and not at all boring to read.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 6:16:44 PM)

8/17/44

DEI: KB seems to be making for the South China Sea. Death Star has begun refueling operations at Boela and Sorong while awaiting Mini DS (at Merauke) to come up.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/A9854679ED624D26BF3FADB9C7727FBD.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 6:27:32 PM)

Formosa is definitely your focus, but I don't think John plans to make a fight of it any more. When you got bases in China it became a net liability to him to try and keep Formosa out of your hands.
I think he is continuing to harvest fuel/oil and troops from the DEI and take them along the Vietnam coast to be dropped at Pakhoi. IMO, his fleet is covering his operation, not trying to oppose yours.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 6:36:04 PM)

You might be right.

Death Star might make it back to the South China Sea area before John's merchants could make it to Pakhoi....or he might win that race. But I don't think I'm opposed to Japanese units in China, because soon the Allies will be in position to initiate dedicated bombing missions against those troops. I think I'd rather have John focusing on China, at this point, than on certain other landmasses that I have my eye on.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 6:39:33 PM)

8/17/44

Peep Show: Major Allied 4EB strike scheduled for Chaochow tomorrow. If successful it should batter John's main stack, increasing whatever pressure he might be feeling about China.

But I think China has effectively been bypassed now, as far as my plans are concerned. I'm looking at moving further north, to take bombing bases, and further south (at some point) to attend to high-value bases like Singapore.

China is a campaign that will be fought, mainly by what I currently have on the ground there, bolstered by Allied air power. I don't think John has the ability (the supply and aviation support) that would allow him to seriously fight an air war in China.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/8255237132C042769FA31E557B83478E.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 10:28:23 PM)

Just in time for Summer Solstice.....

[image]local://upfiles/55056/D544120030BB465488F9BDAE406706CE.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (6/10/2017 10:45:12 PM)

Amazon says it will be a 10 volume set....

[image]local://upfiles/55056/6FA3C53240574CD7B226387B8D96A3C0.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  360 361 [362] 363 364   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI