RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 7:35:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: danymatrix

lurchi, when you think we can have it ready? [&:]

It will take quite some time. I need some base game modifications done, those might be in the next patch. Once those are done I can add more components, especially the new super weapons. Until then I keep redoing the tech tree.

danymatrix -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 7:41:44 PM)

you're referring to the official patch to be released next week? [8|]

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 7:43:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

If I can make a suggestion; I noticed you have a "basic" or prototype weapon attached to the root tech followed by the "real" weapon shortly thereafter. Since you're running near the component limit, why don't you remove them? Seems a bit superfluous. The only one of those "prototypes" that are really useful is the space reactor.

That's how the game handles things for the prewarp era. I have to do it like that, or the components won't be available. I could set the level 1 tech to prewarp, but that would unbalance the game and make prewarp pointless.

I know that those starting components are not a paragon of perfection, that's why you need to research. [;)]

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 7:48:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: danymatrix

you're referring to the official patch to be released next week? [8|]

It's not in the beta so I kinda doubt it's in the next official patch. Maybe we're lucky, but we might have to wait for 1.9.5.7...

Kizucha -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 8:08:31 PM)

And please lurchi, dont push yourself, i hope that i dont see another nice research-mod go down[;)]

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 8:15:13 PM)

I have to wait for that patch anyway, so I go at it slow but steady. [:)]

danymatrix -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 8:19:10 PM)

I do not think is a good idea to be tied to the release of a patch with some improvements, because if the developer takes no time what we are expecting then the mod may never be released. It's just my humble opinion

Kizucha -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 8:49:48 PM)

As i understand he need's an update to an file that he can not mod himself because its hardcoded?[&:] If i understand that right, in more clear say, if the update for the file dont get out the mod cant be finished with or without work from lurchi.[:)]

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 9:35:24 PM)

Exactly. I want to to it right and to do it the way I want I need that patch. So for the time being I'll restructure and wait for it.

danymatrix -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 10:57:20 PM)

Bear in mind that it may take the patch to come out maybe weeks, months or maybe never get away with the way you expect ..., which would fall into a similar situation to that of Locarnus from my mind .... maybe find appropriate a B plan to solve this issue and to launch the mod shortly. [:)]

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/26/2014 11:43:10 PM)

It seems the powers that be are interested in my work, so I don't think it will take forever. I hope.

Also there is a Plan B. Well, more like a Plan 9 from Outer Space, since it's seriously inferior. [:D]

I follow that one right now. Meaning I keep restructuring the tree and adding new research projects. I only add new components that are essential, though. For the others I reserve free space so I can add them later. If I really have to I'll reallocate the prewarp weapon components like I did with the former Titan Beam that's now the new Plasma Cannon.

All that would still leave it uncomplete and unbalanced, though. It sure would be better than what we have now, but not what it could be. Erik wrote he's away for a week, but Elliot keeps going at it. So let's hope for the best.

[&o][&o][&o]We beseech thee, O Elliot.[&o][&o][&o]

danymatrix -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 1:36:25 AM)

Anyway I appreciate your enthusiasm and great attitude. [:)]

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 5:23:23 AM)

lurchi, i agree with you on point that its better to wait abit
firstly Erik and Elliot are responsive, and as far as my experience stretches they do thigns if they see they are benevolent and with good potential and not that hard to implement.

I really account for you for later megamod merging, and my work takes alot of time due big amounts of original unique art i draw. So by time you get your work done there will be already alot of art to mount and merge on it :)

Also i believe that releasing something that showcases the change is necessary.

And i am excited to think about Beyond mod with new character system (each race have own character progression , tendencies and all characters have unique generated face portrait, personality etc, huge tons of art), Alien Immersion mod , your mod, Icemania AI been merged in one huge megamod.

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:17:14 AM)

Such a mega mod sure would be great. I asked for 100 races, BTW, so we could include basically all good races you can find here on the forum. [8D]

Icemania -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:25:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi
Such a mega mod sure would be great. I asked for 100 races, BTW, so we could include basically all good races you can find here on the forum. [8D]

I would suggest adding races only if they add strategic diversity. Given you are adding components from Extended, that should mean more races are justified.

Also please keep in mind that to apply the AI Improvement Mod every races needs to be customised with designs, research order, policy file and race file ... and then tested.

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:29:57 AM)

lurchi, i dont think so... good means not only good , but hand picked.
It must:
Have unique mechanic, be "that different player on this diverse chessboard" and not just clone with just small difference in bonuses and different picture and texts.
We have limitation of govements quanity.
Preference to unique art races with big difference in flavor/gameplay. Clones of ship models are unacceptable imo.
All races of Beyond (as it will be engine which collects all into it) includes huge amount of art work done for character system for each race. Each race should justify it addition, but more them merrier, obcourse. It need just to be unique, polished, and made pretty damn well. Initial beyond set aims for Vanilla+Extended+Beyond races, total of 50, thats HUGE amount of job, and if we will talk bout extendtion Distant Worlds race pack (at least some part of it) is one which i could call next from ones on this forums. I find its plant races amazing, as well as some other races.

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:31:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

quote:

I would suggest adding races only if they add strategic diversity. Given you are adding components from Extended, that should mean more races are justified.

Also please keep in mind that to apply the AI Improvement Mod every races needs to be customised with designs, research order, policy file and race file ... and then tested.

Seconding this.
Every race means : special ui, special character set (1000 characters!), ship design, troop design , character system development, Ai tweaking, ship designs.
Thats alot of things.
To make a race that justifies all this investment race should be very carefully done, not be just bit different numbers with new picture, as i said above.

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:32:25 AM)

There are now 620 research projects. [:D]

That said here's another teaser:

[image]http://i59.tinypic.com/2zq6840.jpg[/image]

Edit: I forgot to mention that those psycho weapons are... evil. [sm=00000622.gif]

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:34:20 AM)

wow man, all this with ai mod and beyond will threaten dedicated players to being left in virtual space reality forever.
amazing.

(it will sit well with around 20000 unique characters :) planned)

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:34:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

True. I also don't want to bury you in work.

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:43:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork
We have limitation of govements quanity.

I thought that was raised some patch ago.

quote:

Preference to unique art races with big difference in flavor/gameplay. Clones of ship models are unacceptable imo.

Of course. I have one home brewed race I'd like included, BTW. I created them for a fan expansion, but have not found the time to work on that. They are quite different than everything else in Distant Worlds and have an interesting background. They use unique weapons and I also have a ship set. I won't reveal more at this time. [:'(]

quote:

I find its plant races amazing, as well as some other races.

True.

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:46:23 AM)

Oh yeah, when I posted the last teaser I forgot to mention that those psycho weapons are... evil. [sm=00000622.gif]

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:54:16 AM)

You can join/add your race into beyond pool. It will be cared of eventually. The queue is huge and bottle neck is amounts of art needed to supply the intended. I would be grateful and happy if we already aim and discuss integration and you take part in discussion about character system allocation - check last post in beyond thread.
Obcourse far goal is at least 60 races, but its takes a lot of time for me alone to build really well polished one as Ergreagd which have all unique art including around 1000 unique characters. I could release it vanilla type but the point is to showcase character system in play. This thing alone for one race requires more time than to issue 15 new so so different picture races mod. We will cherish, handpick every race. Included races will receive investment of huge ton of specific original art done for it.

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 11:59:29 AM)

What it missing is characters and character art. The latter should be really easy to do for this race. More to follow later.

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 12:04:03 PM)

I dont understand what you mean.
Character art done by me (example: http://i.imgur.com/F4a12NV.png)
ITs complex project because each race requires 400-1000 characters geneerated, which generated by program using pre made alpha png facial parts art like this : http://i.imgur.com/n3DGA9D.jpg

For no race this process is simple, it need alot of art to be done, and then alot of "programming " of racial characters personalities, affinities, skillsets that will be unique for eac hrace and extend the depth of race diversity.

please read this post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3663481
to have little explanation how its working, i will be glad if you participate in discussion if you can

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 2:17:59 PM)

quote:

Believe me, doing character art for this race is quite easy. To explain it I'd have to tell you exactly who they are, but that's a secret for now. [:D]

Blackstork -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 2:42:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

Believe me, doing character art for this race is quite easy. To explain it I'd have to tell you exactly who they are, but that's a secret for now. [:D]

Ah, heh, ok ok
But still, they need to be different.... each character - different personality, so we will need to think about actually making less uniform and more various, personalised. :)
Soon first birdie example will be released hehe

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 2:46:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, heh, ok ok
But still, they need to be different.... each character - different personality, so we will need to think about actually making less uniform and more various, personalised. :)

You'll see. [:'(]

quote:

Soon first birdie example will be released hehe

Looking forward to it.

Unforeseen -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 3:25:15 PM)

Psycho Weapons?? What is that?

lurchi -> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research (7/27/2014 3:52:29 PM)

Psycho Weapons are based on an ancient relict from a long gone race that was... different. Using them has certain repercussions. More info when I release the mod.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI