New map - West Berlin, British Sector (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios

Plodder -> New map - West Berlin, British Sector (8/16/2014 5:17:37 PM)

This is a map of central West Berlin in 1989. It's going to be used in a scenario or scenarios of a Warsaw Pact assault on West Berlin. (Coming Soon!TM)

Overview:
[image]http://i.imgur.com/oKs0kW9.png[/image]

Full size snippet:
[image]http://i.imgur.com/bQbMsD6.png[/image]

Map is now available here: http://www.ontargetsimulations.com/OTS/RedStorm/MapsNew/Plodder West Berlin 1989 Map.zip

----------------------------------Original Post Below---------------------------------------------

I've put remaking the official maps on hold for a bit as I'm currently working on a Berlin map for a series of scenarios based on Operation Center. This was the Warsaw Pact plan to conquer West Berlin. I'm going to make the map centered on the British sector as this was where the main thrust was going to be. I'll probably do a map of the American sector at some point as well.

The map is slightly larger than the standard maps, its approx. 22 Km wide and 16km deep. I've got the terrain done, now it's the road net, forests and urban areas to go:

[image]local://upfiles/9611/199A4EE5ED6646328149E56EB7B5C2AB.jpg[/image]

SwampYankee68 -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/16/2014 7:55:51 PM)

Looks cool, and sounds like a good scenario. Your maps are fantastic, Plodder.

TheWombat_matrixforum -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/16/2014 8:36:48 PM)

Cool. I lived in Berlin around 1970-71 and then lived and worked there between 1988-90. It sure would have been a horror show if there had been this sort of fighting for real, but it makes an interesting scenario concept I think.

CapnDarwin -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/16/2014 8:39:02 PM)

Very cool looking map. Can't wait to try it out.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/18/2014 1:36:06 PM)

Road net is done. I've added more roads and streets than are necessary, as this gives me distinct blocks that will enable me to break up the pattern on the urban texture. Next up is forests and fields..

[image]local://upfiles/9611/8EF0F8AC47C7407BB648D6279E8E93D6.jpg[/image]

CapnDarwin -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/18/2014 1:45:21 PM)

Looking good. [&o]

Mad Russian -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/18/2014 6:52:28 PM)

I came within an inch of doing a Berlin map. Nice to see you doing one.

Good Hunting.

MR

WildCatNL -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/18/2014 8:58:13 PM)

Looking very good. Just curious, how is your experience getting this (or a recolored version of it) understood by the Map Values editor?

William

battlerbritain -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/18/2014 9:11:46 PM)

I'd be interested in playing this [:)]

I remember playing SPI's 'Berlin 85' waaay back when and the great map that went with that. I've still got my copy as well.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/18/2014 9:54:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

I came within an inch of doing a Berlin map. Nice to see you doing one.

I've been wanting to do it since I found out about Zentrum while making the battlefield tour.

quote:

ORIGINAL: W1ll14m

Looking very good. Just curious, how is your experience getting this (or a recolored version of it) understood by the Map Values editor?

William

Thanks. Haven't attempted it yet.I'll try it once I'm happy with the map. I'll have to make a special map values version to do it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: battlerbritain

I'd be interested in playing this [:)]

I remember playing SPI's 'Berlin 85' waaay back when and the great map that went with that. I've still got my copy as well.

Thanks for reminding me about Berlin '85, there was some good background material that came with that iirc.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/19/2014 12:49:14 AM)

Forests and fields complete, now the fun part of adding the urban textures.

[image]local://upfiles/9611/BC869B6E78394DBE9FDFA8BBB36B877C.jpg[/image]

rjlee -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/19/2014 6:33:44 AM)

That looks excellent! Love the airfield!

CapnDarwin -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/19/2014 10:55:38 AM)

William, the AutoMap Values function only works for maps made from the OTS hexdraw art. Once you use custom art, the scanning process has no idea what it is looking at and you have to enter all the values manually with the editor.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/19/2014 2:11:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

William, the AutoMap Values function only works for maps made from the OTS hexdraw art. Once you use custom art, the scanning process has no idea what it is looking at and you have to enter all the values manually with the editor.

Do you mean the actual art or do you mean the rgb values from the spreadsheet guide?

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/19/2014 3:31:12 PM)

A quick update before I go to bed. I've done the North west corner up to the border. I'm trying to get the mix of urban terrain and fields correct so it's taking a while..

[image]local://upfiles/9611/CEE0EFD32EFA4C649B9138B2AEE24C0F.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 3:40:53 AM)

Outstanding!!

Good Hunting.

MR

MikeGER -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 11:13:57 AM)

quote:

Outstanding!!

+1

i guess playing on Plodder's new Berlin map(s) and i am loosing badly against the AI will look like that [;)]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PmzdINGZk

Plodder please add the German names of the 'city boroughs' to your map

here are the names
(well, this is the situation today, but AFAIK the historical names (small print) didnt change and coucd be used
but the local city goverment responsibility for the collection of them into Bezirke (fat print) has changed)

[image]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Berlin%2C_administrative_divisions_%28%2Bdistricts_%2Bboroughs_-pop%29_-_de_-_colored_%28less_colors%29.svg/2000px-Berlin%2C_administrative_divisions_%28%2Bdistricts_%2Bboroughs_-pop%29_-_de_-_colored_%28less_colors%29.svg.png
[/image]

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 2:03:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeGER

Plodder please add the German names of the 'city boroughs' to your map

here are the names
(well, this is the situation today, but AFAIK the historical names (small print) didnt change and coucd be used
but the local city goverment responsibility for the collection of them into Bezirke (fat print) has changed)

I'm planning to. [:)] I have a huge copy of a 1985 map of Berlin which I am using for my template, it doesn't show the elevations or extent of urban areas but it's excellent for the road net and borders. It's also got the names of all the districts as they were back then so no worries on that front. [:)]

I've been busy working on the south west of the map, Gross Glienicke and Kladow areas are done. This is the area where a British Btn was based at Montgomery Barracks and RAF Gatow. There was also a East German border guards unit in the area as well.

[image]local://upfiles/9611/4AE1E828533A42518F203A8D42963CE2.jpg[/image]

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 2:04:18 PM)

Still got a long way to go though.[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/9611/7C8845E62D9147D7B1D94F7F836F634A.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 4:18:19 PM)

It takes a good while to create maps like these. The question we most often get asked is why our maps weren't as pretty as <insert modder's name here> maps. This is one huge reason why. I could make one of our maps in a few days. We created more than 25 maps. We all have full time jobs just like you do and we would be still at the stage of making the maps instead of contemplating the next release if we had gone to the level you're going to.

I like these maps. They are great looking but they simply take too long for us to have used them 'in the beginning'.

Can't wait to see how this looks when you get it finished.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 4:45:38 PM)

Plodder, my reply to your question apparently got lost in the Verizon void. The spreadsheet values are the target RGB value of the OTS art for the HexDraw maps. The Automapping function is hard coded to look for and tally up those values to determine the composition of a hex and apply the game related values to the location. A custom map not made with these colors as the vast majority of pixels will not scan properly. Thus, if making a new map with other art/colors requires the hand entry of all the values in the editor.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Add posts this time.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/20/2014 5:10:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Plodder, my reply to your question apparently got lost in the Verizon void. The spreadsheet values are the target RGB value of the OTS art for the HexDraw maps. The Automapping function is hard coded to look for and tally up those values to determine the composition of a hex and apply the game related values to the location. A custom map not made with these colors as the vast majority of pixels will not scan properly. Thus, if making a new map with other art/colors requires the hand entry of all the values in the editor.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Add posts this time.

So once I've finished this map, if I make a copy and change all the colours on it to the official ones,I should be ok to use that to automap?

quote:

It takes a good while to create maps like these. The most often question we get is why our maps weren't as pretty as <insert modder's name here> maps. This is one huge reason why. I could make one of our maps in a few days. We created more than 25 maps. We all have full time jobs just like you do and we would be still at the stage of making the maps instead of contemplating the next release if we had gone to the level you're going to.

Yeah, this map is definitely going to take a while, I'm constantly re-aligning hills and such, as well as working out what terrain to put where.I'm also constantly researching to see what area was built up in 1989. It's a lot of fun. I'm enjoying it more than the remakes though, as this is entirely my own creation and I'm really going to town with it.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/21/2014 10:47:40 PM)

I've made a mock up of part of the map for testing to make sure I'm on the right track. I'm going to hack up this map to test it in the auto mappper.

[image]local://upfiles/9611/3678EB29DB5245F6904C3C2E73792649.jpg[/image]

WildCatNL -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/21/2014 11:11:00 PM)

Plodder, what works for me is using partially transparent patterns for the urban / forest / fields areas (1 color suffices), so the Map Values tool is still able to see the underlying elevation color.
See the image below (GIS data from Osnabrueck rendered in FCRS compatible colors, with manual stream placement).

Getting the roads to be recognized proved hardest for me. I fell back on the 2.01 Map Values editor.

William

[image]local://upfiles/31564/FB235BEDFF984616B5911BCD1639BD4F.jpg[/image]

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/21/2014 11:43:40 PM)

Nice! I just used the colour replace tool in paint shop pro:

[image]local://upfiles/9611/6853353D60104CBA9E706895308C57FB.jpg[/image]

WildCatNL -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/21/2014 11:53:56 PM)

With those forest/lake combinations, be sure to set the edge buffer zone value to its max (9 pixels), so the scanner doesn't see too much of the forest pixels spilling into lake. It might end up with a combination of Forest, Lake.
The fact that you started out with a Hex grid is going to be very helpful.

Good luck. I look forward to your Berlin.

William

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/25/2014 11:23:46 AM)

Using the re-coloured map worked quite nicely, I did have to save the map for the roads to be recognised though. I haven't made a huge amount of progress the last few days due to work but I made quite a few changes to the elevations as I managed to obtain a height map from the Berlin city council site. My previous attempt was from GE data and dead reckoning but the council data is accurate to 20cm so I've gone off that. I've also extended the map 3 km east to include more of central Berlin and the Wall.

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/25/2014 2:24:19 PM)

Forgot to add a pic. Here's the new elevations:

[image]local://upfiles/9611/BD3621F5497E445AA99C30F480728244.jpg[/image]

Plodder -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/25/2014 2:27:43 PM)

..and here's where I'm at overall. I still have to extend the road net and Wall:

[image]local://upfiles/9611/D0C2D62AD30943B98376F939ECC8AA65.jpg[/image]

CapnDarwin -> RE: New map WIP - West Berlin, British Sector (8/25/2014 3:27:50 PM)

Just a great looking map. [&o][&o][&o]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI