Where we are & where we are going (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt

Peter Fisla -> Where we are & where we are going (2/29/2016 11:17:13 PM)

Hi All,

First of all I want to say thank you to all the people who bought the game and enjoy playing the game. I'm not looking for to sell the game to the whole world, I'm not in it for the money; my focus is to share the game I love with people that care about it and have interest in it. I'm aware that I will still need my day job :)

When I set out to work on Tigers on the Hunt 10 years ago, I had no idea that one day it will actually get it published. This game is my hobby, my passion and labour of love. I worked on a game that I wanted to play a game that is inspired by ASL, Steel Panthers, Campaign Series and Close Combat 1. I worked on the game since January 2006 when I was either between contracts or after my day job when I got home. I'm really happy that after so many years of very hard work the game finally saw the light of the day Thursday February 25th 2016.

I'm aware that the game is a niche within the wargaming community and not everyone is going to like it. I can understand that and respect that. I can't make a game that every is going to like, I'm sorry, not good enough developer for that. I'm not trying to compete with other game companies, I'm just working on a game that I want to play and share it with the rest of the world.

My design focus is to deliver core game functionality first, as bug free as possible. Quality is very important to me...because again this is my labour of love project. I have no plans or desire to work any other game in my life, my focus is to support the game and enhance the game for many years to come.

The game has only been out for 5 days, my goal for the near future will be to first focus on squashing all the bugs. Make the game as bug free as possible, during this time based on your feedback we can identify together areas where AI could improve. After that my focus will be on expansion and new features. Of course during the bug fixing period, I may add small features along the way. First quality then new features - very carefully...there is no rush. I rather deliver a bug free product with smaller scope/less features that works well rather than lots of features that don't work 50% of time - this is the way I am and I operate.

Regarding bug fixing, The saved game is the quickest and best way to provide me with the data evidence what went wrong so that I know what I need to fix the problem. I can load the saved game data into my development environment and check the code, modify the code to fix an issue (or provide clear step by step instructions how to duplicate a problem).

Thank You all for your help, feedback and support! Enjoy the game! :)

Cheers!

Peter

z1812 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 12:15:37 AM)

That sounds like a very thoughtful approach.

idjester -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 12:47:00 AM)

Sounds like a very stable and good plan. I appricate that you came out with a gameplay. I won't name the game but I was working with another company for awhile on their game and they refused to come up with a plan or an outline for their game development.

I am very pleased... the forces in the universe unite!!

michaelspotts -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 1:23:15 AM)

Great game, Peter. I bought the box edition with no need only to support your efforts with a bit more $$.
Thank you for your herculean effort. A gem of a game from a gem of a developer and person!

Michael

kirtapbun -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 1:38:58 AM)

+1

gregb41352 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 2:52:04 AM)

I very much look forward to the continued development of this great game.
Congratulations Peter, I haven't been this addicted to a game in a very
long time.

jascou -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 3:10:21 AM)

I think you are taking a very wise approach Peter, and I for one am very happy with my purchase.

jeffdeham1 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 4:46:08 AM)

Thanks Peter for creating this game! I believe you have created quite a following here. Not even a week old and already 1 patch, new mods and additional scenarios have been created. The forums are lively and on top of it all we get to play the game too! All of this a result of your hard work. [&o]

When will you start selling Toth t shirts? [:)]

Jeff

mainsworthy -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 7:36:33 AM)

I feel very sorry for Peter right now, as a programmer myself, I know bug hunting is worse than programing the game, it can even take longer, I test every aspect of my games to avoid bug hunting. sometimes one bug fix can even break other parts of the program, I know your pain Peter :(

Jafele -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 10:20:37 AM)

Hey Peter, thatīs the mentality a good game require to survive for a long time.

Hotschi -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 12:57:29 PM)

Peter, you have produced a fine game, and I hope you stick to developing it for a long time! Best purchase I've done since quite a while!

Perelandra67 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 4:32:26 PM)

Peter, I have voiced my opinion about what I think the game is lacking, but I want to say that you have developed a very good game. I hope it continues.

LN59 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 4:42:10 PM)

Thank You, Peter, for the release of your fascinating game and that spirit You're working in. Giving the community opportunity to pass feedback and suggestions is a great and pleasant idea. So, Congratulations for the whole project, the investment that means and the great fun we, players, already have to play/create with! Best regards. Lilian

katsuragiai -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 4:57:29 PM)

Thanks for making this great game.

I'm not actually an ASL player - not even heard of it before. I'm just a casual war gamer who plays War in the East on easy difficulty. But I'm immediately attracted to the game after seeing its genre, and bought it with no hesitation. And then...I just played it for 10 hours non-stop. Took a nap, log in the forum and found the amazing modes and new scenarios - got hyped again and another non-stop playing...

I wish the game will keep getting expanded and upgraded in the following years. And thank you again for opening a new world for me!

gogol -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 5:24:31 PM)

Doing what you love for people who will love it.
you re dam right !!! i am so pleased to have bought your baby

RobPollard -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 8:01:32 PM)

Congratulations on sticking with the project until the end. I have been waiting for an ASL based game for so long! And now it's finally here.

I have also been embarking on my own home wargame project for more time than I care to admit too :) And can fully understand the amount of dedication you must have put into your project. As you have pointed out, many of these wargames are so niche, that they are developed in our own time, at the same time as doing a day job and just living life in general!

Although it is a labour of love, I do hope it sells well for you - your game was the first computer wargame I have bought in a long while....

echo9c -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/1/2016 8:17:04 PM)

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to play a game like this. The more I play it the better I like it. It feels so much like Squad Leader when I bought the first one in 1977. I'm impressed with you vision on the way forward for the game. It is certainly a common sense approach and I'm sure it will all work out.

1138savatee -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/2/2016 12:50:51 AM)

You can count on my support for the future. Thanks for your work. Great game.

Monkie -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/2/2016 2:18:40 AM)

I'm very glad to hear that you will continue to support and improve on the game. Thank you for communicating so clearly the direction you are taking ToTH.

mainsworthy -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/2/2016 8:42:05 AM)

the game is so good Peter, I prefer playing it over the boardgame ASL, the sad thing is ASL boardgame may dissapper, and our children will never find it available. I do believe the premium price for TotH is worth it, as you say your not doing it for the money - but I thought it was worth it.

you should also look at the advanced tabruk system, its very similar without being the same. and there is a free game system like ASL called valour & victory, these systems are very much ASL inspired.

I would not love wargaming without learning ASL, and to see it superseded by a computer version is so impacting on all my gaming, maybe you could do a deal and release an ASLSK digital version with the game. there is also whats called ASLComp games(If I'm not mistaken there made by 'critical Hit'), these are ASL compatable games, maybe you could include a digital version ? it seems this would stop all the complaints about the availability of unit info.

you could just state your game is ASL Compatable too, so when you buy it , you know what to expect, My main complaint was lack of unit combat values(I felt ripped-off), when I found it corresponded with ASL, I was over the moon, but I had a hard time figuring this out, If I knew it was ASLComp beforehand I would of been happy with it.

you said "I wanted to play a game that is inspired by ASL, Steel Panthers, Campaign Series and Close Combat 1" I see all the ASL similarities but what parts of the program are formed after "Steel Panthers, Campaign Series and Close Combat 1" I'd be interested in comparing them?

I don't see what you gained from holding back the fact is was ASLComp, I'm not having a go with any of my comments,as ASLComp games are legal I think.

Krys -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/2/2016 4:38:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

I can't make a game that every is going to like, I'm sorry, not good enough developer for that.

1 - Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, plans and feeling with all of us!
2 - As for your comment that you can't make a game everyone is going to like, that you're not a good enough developer for that - please keep in mind that games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 - made by huge developers with massive $$ budgets - and acclaimed by an awfully lot of gamers - are ALSO SLAMMED BY PLENTY OF PEOPLE. No game in the history of the world has ever been liked in every possible way by every possible person who's played it. That is impossible, so for you to apologize is IMHO totally unnecessary.
3 - You've created a masterpiece - and done it mostly on your own, which is an incredible feat - one that it seems a great many people are admiring and a game many of us are greatly enjoying.
4 - I strongly encourage you to keep on doing what you've been doing, what you are doing, and continuing to stick with your plans for your labor of love.
5 - For most of us who offer comments, suggestions, etc. we're doing so because we love the game, care about it, and want to see it become the best that it can be.

As the former CEO of two game companies (nothing on the Wizards of the Coast level, but small companies) I understand the frustrations that can come from putting so much of your heart and soul into this, only to find complaints, criticisms, and even aggressive attacks coming at you when you're so pleased to have made it to the point where the game has gone public.

Hold onto the positives, keep enjoying what you're doing and where this superb game is going, and we'll all be with you for the journey.

(ok - sorry for the long post - I'll shut up now!)

[:D]

john688 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/2/2016 6:38:33 PM)

Brilliant game Peter, worth every penny keep up the good work!

parusski -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 1:29:12 AM)

Brilliant indeed is this game. How great other games would be if people worked on them the way Peter does.

genesismwt -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 2:20:44 AM)

Thank you for all of the hard work that you have put into TotH!

helmick -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 6:30:45 PM)

Great work Peter and your labor is very appreciated and you have finally scratched that itch I have had for years. Now to get the French and the Poles in there so I can start in 1939 and continue on from there. I feel like I'm 16 again.

Where can I mail my wallet.

gregb41352 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 7:12:41 PM)

quote:

Now to get the French and the Poles in there

+1 for this :)

GregN -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 8:27:07 PM)

This is a great game and loving the mods and new(old) scenarios. Hot keys, multilevel, walls and hedges, new nationalities, refining interface, etc. all good ideas! Super game as it is - opinion of an old gamer (first AH games were Luftwaffe and Panzer Leader).

36142CP -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 9:23:14 PM)

Peter, you've done a fantastic job with this game. It is something that I thought I would never see on the PC. I don't need all these high graphically intense games with all the cinematic sequences etc (I'm getting old you know!) It's all about the game play and planning for me and you've certainly delivered that. I hope you sell loads and it develops into what you want it to. Best regards, Chris.

UP844 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/3/2016 11:30:37 PM)

Hello Peter,
the game is utterly amazing [&o], and being a SL/ASL player since 1977 I like it immensely.

Even though I would enjoy the addition of other nationalities. I think your "exterminate the bugs first" approach is extremely sound, even though I didn't notice any (so far, at least) and this is another clear indication of the outstanding quality of your work. I eagerly look forward to any developments!

qwright38 -> RE: Where we are & where we are going (3/5/2016 9:04:11 AM)

Hi Peter,

Couldn't agree with your approach more. Great game!! [&o]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI