Nine years and going strong (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

btd64 -> Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 12:58:47 AM)

Pretty incredible how strong AE is after 9 years. How did everyone find there way to AE? For me it was pure luck. I was looking for the newest version of another game from a company that went under and saw the classic WITP. So I scooped it up and the rest is history. Who else has a story to tell?....GP

pontiouspilot -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:05:29 AM)

I played the original WITP when it 1st came out. Before that I played all the old board games...most of us did. I’m sure there are many old board gamers that never made the transition to computers.

Chickenboy -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:50:51 AM)

Happened upon UV back in 2001. Fell in love. Gladly migrated to WiTP and fell in love again. WiTP:AE was the natural progression and eagerly anticipated.

Canoerebel -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:52:15 AM)

Great game. Great community.

Back in '02, I was looking for something better than Fighting Flattops (a computer game that's still out there - do a Google search). I found UV and started playing. My opponents included Admiral Dadman, Miller, and John III, each of whom is still active. I bought WitP when it came out in '05, but it was "too big" - would take too much time. John III and I were involved in a UV match - he switched to WitP and left me standing at the alter, lamenting his departure. I eventually got involved in WitP around '07 and played several matches. John III kicked my butt early in one game but I got him by the short hairs in a December '43 invasion of Hokkaido that turned epic. I also played an epic match or two against Miller that included an invasion of the Kuriles in which Allied PT boats sank the four Kongos in one or two days (if my memory is accurate).

I finally ceased playing WitP, taking a sabbatical to concentrate on work. I ended the sabbatical when AE came out, starting with a match called "Shattered Vow" against Miller. Since then, I've played Q-Ball, Chez-da-Jez, Panzerjager Hortlund, John III and now Obvert.

I've been lucky to find such fun opponents - nice men all.

I used to say, "I can play this game for decades without tiring of it." How right I was. I still feel like I've got decades ahead, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

IdahoNYer -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:54:48 AM)

A road long and well traveled.....

Board gaming:
USN by SPI
then attempting SPI's War in the Pacific

then the computer age!

SSIs War in the South Pacific and the classic Pacific War

Then of course Uncommon Valor, WiTP and finally WiTP AE.

Been a great ride and it ain't over yet!

Major Shane -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 2:41:17 AM)

Blind luck in 2012...because it's better to be lucky than good.

Anachro -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 2:51:50 AM)

I played and loved Hearts of Iron 3, but "wanted something more in-depth." Eventually, I somehow or another heard references to Grigsby games and "grognards" elsewhere on the internet and, disheartened by Paradox's preview of Hearts of Iron 4 and being a big fan of the Pacific Theater, I made the plunge and bought WitP after being initially turned off by the price. Took me a while to learn the game and understand it (even if my understanding is still limited). Haven't looked back since. Nothing else compares.

rockmedic109 -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 2:56:14 AM)

Way back when I was a boy walking to school {up hill, both ways} Santa brought me a game called Luftwaffe. Thus began a career in gaming with work to support my career. I came across UV in a store and bought it without knowing what it would become. Bought WITP when it came out. Bought AE when it came out....and I remember being worried that it would come out when I was in the hospital and wouldn't get it the moment it was out.

I now drive my girls to school {still up hill....both ways} and put up a fence to keep punks {read boys} off my lawn and continue to play AE. Best entertainment investment of all time. Unless AE 2 comes out, I imagine this will be the first game I load onto any new computer and never gets uninstalled.

Chris21wen -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 5:13:11 AM)

I came from Pacwar and migrated through UV etc. My real start however was before that, I played a board game called USN (still got it) got hooked on that and the rest is history.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 8:26:46 AM)

Must be one of the few people around here who was too young for boardgaming before the PC era dawned [;)]. First encounters with the PTO through "Silent Service", "Destroyer" and "Guadalcanal" on the good old C64. When purchasing my first PC at a small-town hardware / IT services store which had only a handful of games to offer, of all possible games I stumbled across "Burning Steel II: Guadalcanal" aka "Great Naval Battles II". A fateful day! Got hooked and was soon looking for similar games. Found "Gary Grigsby's Pacific War" on a "20 Wargames Compilation", discovered the Matrix website and the rest is history - UV, WitP, AE.

wdolson -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 8:52:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Way back when I was a boy walking to school {up hill, both ways} Santa brought me a game called Luftwaffe. Thus began a career in gaming with work to support my career. I came across UV in a store and bought it without knowing what it would become. Bought WITP when it came out. Bought AE when it came out....and I remember being worried that it would come out when I was in the hospital and wouldn't get it the moment it was out.

I now drive my girls to school {still up hill....both ways} and put a fence to keep punks {read boys} off my lawn and continue to play AE. Best entertainment investment of all time. Unless AE 2 comes out, I imagine this will be the first game I load onto any new computer and never gets uninstalled.

Luftwaffe was my entry drug too. My father gave it to me for Christmas when I was 5. I got frustrated trying to figure it out and it sat on the shelf a few years until I simplified the rules so 10 year olds could play. Soon after that it was on to Third Reich, Squad Leader, and others. I remember back in the 80s trying to figure out with a friend how to computerize Flat Tops to make it more playable.

Bill

LeeChard -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:31:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Happened upon UV back in 2001. Fell in love. Gladly migrated to WiTP and fell in love again. WiTP:AE was the natural progression and eagerly anticipated.

My story too.
So what comes next? [:D]

Macclan5 -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:39:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Shane

Blind luck in 2012...because it's better to be lucky than good.

+1 [8D]

While searching for replacements to my old 'Panzer General' games (hopelessly outdated and inoperable on a new computer due to Windows 7) I randomly read a number of threads, opinions reviews. Panzer General / Allied General / Pacific General were fine but I thought given the date there must be something with more 'depth' and breadth that is not a 'first person shooter'

"Other website" critic / review

Conclusion

Overall, I still consider War in the Pacific to be the best wargame ever created. The Admiral’s Edition makes the original game even better. It is by far the best wargame created for PBEM sessions. It isn’t for the faint-hearted or for those that want quick gameplay. It is for those that really like to micro-manage games, and it does that very well.

jeffk3510 -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 1:39:52 PM)

I discovered WITP during college while looking for something that offered more than PTOII for SNES. I used to play PTOII nonstop as a kid. I don't recall that there was really anything else out there that caught my eye quite like WITP did. I was very hesitant at first, but it has been one of the best games I have ever owned. AE was the natural progression and very highly anticipated. I discovered Europa Universalis and WITP almost the same day in college. WiTPAE and EUIV are what I play if I have any amount of time to sit down and play either one. My kids are at an age now where we're never home, so I haven't really played AE for a few years. I don't see myself finding much time for a while.

dave sindel -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 2:46:04 PM)

I started with strategy board games back in the mid-60's. The original Gettysburg by Avalon Hill. My brother and I played most of the classic A-H games of that era - Midway, Bismarck, Stalingrad Jutland, et al. I played Afrika Korps and Battle of the Bulge by regular mail in the mid-70's through the early 80's. My first PC game was Silent Service II. I took a bit of a different route to AE - I never played the original WITP. Instead, I played War Plan Orange. When I tired of WPO, I found WITPAE, and it is the only game I play these days. I would say that AE by PBEM is one of my best game-play experiences through a long period of playing games.

Dili -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 2:57:25 PM)

It is the only game that attempts to have the 3 services : air, sea , land.

All others seem limited in comparison like if we play with one hand behind.

Canoerebel -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 3:01:21 PM)

Yes, and the funny thing about AE is that the ground war is pretty darned decent. It's not perfect by any means, but it works decently. The mods that installed stacking limits were a huge step forward.

Trugrit -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 3:51:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

It is the only game that attempts to have the 3 services : air, sea , land.

All others seem limited in comparison like if we play with one hand behind.

This is true. The game excels at recreating the confusing reality of total combat in the Pacific.

It has a wonderful FUBAR factor unmatched in almost any other game.

You can watch this video, which does a great job of diagramming the real Coral Sea battle.
Watch the number of missed searches, missed hits, lost and ditched planes and screw ups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5hH3ksvKE

The reality almost reads exactly like an WITPAE After Action Report.

You can almost hear the newbie WITPAE player screaming that this could not happen in real life and the game is borked.

HansBolter -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 4:23:22 PM)

As can probably be gleaned from my Avatar I started on the Matrix forums as an adherent of other of their games.
I own a large range of Matrix games, but got involved in the forums while playing the Command Ops tactical games produced by Panther games and marketed through Matrix.
I was a beta tester for Battles from the Bulge and did a very well received AAR on a beta test scenario on that forum.

Some where along the line I acquired Uncommon Valor and was hooked on the game engine.

I had owned PacWar and the older DOS version of GGs eastern front game.
I had played the heck out of the east front game, but was intimidated by PacWar as I had no idea what to do.

Playing UV helped me get over the "don't have any idea what to do with this game engine" syndrome and I graduated to WITP.

I had mastered the Allied side sufficiently and was playing my first Japanese scenario when WIPAE was released.

Nine years in and I am still playing the Allied side. That states volumes about this game, that I have not yet felt like I have sufficiently mastered the allied side with no desire yet to learn the other side.

Yes, its true, this rabid AFB was experimenting with the dark side.

Miller -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 5:09:43 PM)

Picked up UV for a few pennies off e-bay back in 2004, the rest as they say, is history.

USSAmerica -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 5:44:55 PM)

I bought the original PacWar when it came out around 1991 or 1992. Played it for years and years, then lost my copy. Found the free, updated version from Matrix around 2002 and learned about UV and the plans for War in the Pacific. I got my copy of WitP as my prize for winning one of the Matrix fantasy football leagues about 2005, and waited eagerly to grab AE the day it was released in 2009. I've played PBEM games against several other forum members, managed to meet a good number of forum members in person over the years, and made many life long friends from around the world.

I have not bought any other computer games since the day I paid for AE, although I have won a couple of them over the years as prizes. Distant Worlds is the only game I have spent any amount of time playing since I got WitP 12-13 years ago. I imagine the next 12-13 years will be the same. [8D]

dcpollay -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 5:52:01 PM)

I found PacWar on an abandonware site back at the turn of the century. Played through twice then moved on to life. Came back in 2011 or so and looked for something more modern. I saw GG's name on AE and bought in.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 6:38:22 PM)

UV here as well. First Grigsby game I played was Carrier Force. Picked up most of his games since then.

DanSez -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/10/2018 8:36:11 PM)

War gaming started as a kid with AH Gettysburg.

I found UV at a Games Stop and liked it alot but didn't connect with the Online Community at the time. Later while playing Paradox games I got a reference to Matrix and WitP-AE and have been here, playing ever since.

rkr1958 -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/11/2018 2:22:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
I still feel like I've got decades ahead, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
Interesting tidbit about this saying. Do you know to which Creek this saying refers? The Creek Indians.

Canoerebel -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/11/2018 2:26:42 AM)

No, it refers to the "watercourse" creek.

BBfanboy -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/11/2018 5:24:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

No, it refers to the "watercourse" creek.

Johnny Cash went into some detail on the saying ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mf-BIZumaA

Chickenboy -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/11/2018 1:10:52 PM)

It could also refer to that creek which I frequently find myself 'up' (without a paddle).

Yaab -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/11/2018 1:21:42 PM)

I was playing War in Russia and HPS Moscow'41 in 2009 or 2010. I remember about stumbling upon some jpgs on the Web showing WITP:AE maps and thought how bland and uninteresting they were. I somehow veered to the WITP: Struggle Against Japan forum which had an eye-catching CHS mod map and that cought my interest. I then stumbled into the AAR forum and was totally blown away by the level of detail of some random combat report. All those "Oil slick reported in water" etc. I thought, how sick was that? How can you have a game which generates this level of detail? I have read the full PzB AAR in the forum and noticed all those daily turns and phases. I was astounded. I then moved to the WITP:AE forum and here I am now...

However, after all those years, my enthusiasm for the game has waned, mostly because I played vs ultimately weak, scripted AI; saw universal supply move this game into a logistics fantasy realm; got tired with clickfest-inducing interface; had to develop a tons of house-rules to maintain some modicum of realism etc;, etc. Unfortunately, even heavy modding cannot adress the above-mentioned issues. I reckon the game is popular in its PBEM format, but I would love to see a proper WITP:AE 2 that gives us national supply, CAS missions, avgas/food, proper command structure, reduced US industry at start, proper Chinese OOB, and the revised manual.

Dili -> RE: Nine years and going strong (7/11/2018 1:53:15 PM)

You do have CAS, players ask too much of CAS. It is just a support.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI