Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - Irak

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - Irak Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - Irak - 2/17/2009 7:59:35 PM   
sajbalk

The European map is indeed a bit distorted on the edges. However, this is a vast improvement over the map from WiF5 or even 3rd Reich.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

(in reply to barbarossa2)
Post #: 181
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - Irak - 2/17/2009 9:44:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: barbarossa2

Well, I would recommend not doing anything before this release now either.  I am looking forward to a WIF2. :) And I hope a total redesign of the map is considered. A La my posting on the Dymaxion map under my thread "I hate to say this". :) (yes...burn me. I am a heretic) The problem is, I think I LOVE the WiF system. But I have always hated their maps. Isn't Spain a disaster of east to west proportion? It is like they tried to squeeze it on to the map? LOL

They did scrunch up Scandinavia to get Bergen to be visible. We made a lot of changes to the northern border of the WIF FE map of Europe to improve Norway and Sweden so they are more accurate.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to barbarossa2)
Post #: 182
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - Irak - 2/18/2009 12:37:47 PM   
iamspamus

Luxembourg is perfec... OHMIGOD! Where is Luxembourg? Andorra? sniffle Liechtenstein?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: barbarossa2

Well, I would recommend not doing anything before this release now either.  I am looking forward to a WIF2. :) And I hope a total redesign of the map is considered. A La my posting on the Dymaxion map under my thread "I hate to say this". :) (yes...burn me. I am a heretic) The problem is, I think I LOVE the WiF system. But I have always hated their maps. Isn't Spain a disaster of east to west proportion? It is like they tried to squeeze it on to the map? LOL

They did scrunch up Scandinavia to get Bergen to be visible. We made a lot of changes to the northern border of the WIF FE map of Europe to improve Norway and Sweden so they are more accurate.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 183
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - 4/28/2009 10:47:14 PM   
marcuswatney

Hi, everybody. Scourge of Addu Atoll, diverter of Chinese rivers, and Rabaul obsessive ... I'm back.

Well, sort of... There was nothing untoward about my disappearance. Some of you may know I am a single parent and my youngest is about to leave school, so I felt I wanted to give her my single-minded attention these past months, to give her the best possible chance of getting into a good university. She is now in the very last weeks of study. I wasn't going to get involved in the forum again until early July, but ... hey ho ... I just couldn't resist responding to one more piece of esoteria. (But I won't be posting much until late summer).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

About this last map (Middle East 1942), I wonder what is this diamond shapped territory west of Kuwait. It show on others maps of this area during WW2.
Like this one (Oil routes in Middle East, 1941) :

Anyone knows ?

I believe thats the 'disputed area'. Undefined border between Iraq and SA that wasn't settled til the 50's if I remember my history right. There were a few of these 'bubbles' on their mutual border. There were some on SA's border with Oman and Yemen too.

Yes, the border between Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Oman is undefined, but the diamond-shaped Neutral Zone just west of Kuwait was something different, and altogether more civilised. Bedouin nomads were not much interested in borders, but very interested in water. It was agreed that the Neutral Zone would be accessible to nomads from the south and nomads from the north equally, so they wouldn't be considered to have crossed a border merely by using the oases in the Neutral Zone.

Now wouldn't it be nice if we could settle some of the world's other territorial problems in a similarly civilised way?

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 184
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - 4/28/2009 11:52:37 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcuswatney
Hi, everybody. Scourge of Addu Atoll, diverter of Chinese rivers, and Rabaul obsessive ... I'm back.

Well, sort of... There was nothing untoward about my disappearance. Some of you may know I am a single parent and my youngest is about to leave school, so I felt I wanted to give her my single-minded attention these past months, to give her the best possible chance of getting into a good university. She is now in the very last weeks of study. I wasn't going to get involved in the forum again until early July, but ... hey ho ... I just couldn't resist responding to one more piece of esoteria. (But I won't be posting much until late summer).

quote:

Yes, the border between Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Oman is undefined, but the diamond-shaped Neutral Zone just west of Kuwait was something different, and altogether more civilised. Bedouin nomads were not much interested in borders, but very interested in water. It was agreed that the Neutral Zone would be accessible to nomads from the south and nomads from the north equally, so they wouldn't be considered to have crossed a border merely by using the oases in the Neutral Zone.

Now wouldn't it be nice if we could settle some of the world's other territorial problems in a similarly civilised way?

Hey, welcome back !

Thanks for the cultural input !

But beware, do not expect extensive changes from now on on the map. It has reached some sort of final version. A lot of details can still be changed, but coastlines, and coastline terrain, rivers (what else ?) can't be touched without making Steve loose precious time that he now needs more than never.

(in reply to marcuswatney)
Post #: 185
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - 4/29/2009 11:41:38 AM   
marcuswatney

quote:

But beware, do not expect extensive changes from now on on the map. It has reached some sort of final version. A lot of details can still be changed, but coastlines, and coastline terrain, rivers (what else ?) can't be touched without making Steve loose precious time that he now needs more than never.

Ah, Patrice ... I love your defensive attitude. Clearly, in your mind I will forever be associated with strident demands for the re-drawing of entire continents !!

No, I quite understand that it is time to move on, and am looking forward to the first release which coincides neatly with the end of my formal responsibilities as a parent and therefore the opening up of huge vistas of freedom and spare time.

Steve, thank you for your kind offer of a place as a beta-tester last year. In the end, I decided to accept Sun Tzu's warning that "he who defends everything defends nothing" and, faced with the two major projects of beta testing and supporting my daughter through her final school exams, decided to abandon the former and focus entirely on the latter ... undoubtedly the correct decision (and not a hard one to make).

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 186
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - 4/29/2009 1:38:05 PM   
composer99

Good luck to your daughter, then, and welcome back.

~ Composer99

Post #: 187
RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - 4/29/2009 6:33:46 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcuswatney

... I decided to accept Sun Tzu's warning that "he who defends everything defends nothing" ...

I also consider this regularly, but more often with WIF. Good luck to your daughter.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 188
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWiF Map Review - India & Burma - Irak Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI